Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate it | {Insert Appropriate Seasonal Greeting Here}

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I'm quite surprised Pranzo how high you are on Prometheus and Alien: Covenant. Prometheus specifically for being almost rated as highly as the original Alien, and for Alien: Covenant you put it on par with Aliens (the original sequel). I don't notably disagree with how highly you think of Prometheus, which I think hit the right notes all around, but I am very surprised on Alien: Covenant at 7/10. I find Covenant to be pretty messy with some poor decisions, albeit visually and thematically and even 'thrillingly' satisfying.

It seems there is a decent amount of variability in audience evaluation of the predator films/sequels for the record, and keep up the interesting reviews shadow1.

I'll admit that I was quite surprised myself. Going back to the Alien and Predator films, I found out that Aliens was a lot better than I gave it credit for, same for Covenant. Also found out that Predator 2 was a shitload of shit, and I naively thought it was just as good if not better than the first one. I think Prometheus is highly underrated, but I knew on my first viewing that it was by far the best film done in that universe following the original one.

Reactions: OzzyFan

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Top-10 American, off the cuff and no real order besides McCarthy and Nabokov, going with pure peak:

Cormac McCarthy (greatest of all-time, IMO. All countries, all eras)
Vladimir Nabokov
Flannery O'Connor
Iceberg Slim
Ernest Hemingway
Joan Didion
Kurt Vonnegut
Paul Bowles
J.D. Salinger
John Cheever
How could I forget about Paul Bowles? Definitely in my top ten.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I saw Elvis in the $3 movie day thing.

It was okay. I didn't hate it but didn't really love it either. I felt like I was watching a movie about what a terrible person Colonel Parker was because Tom Hanks signed on to the project so he needed more screen time.

The main problem of the movie was two fold IMO:
1. It completely glosses over his early years of mega-stardom, aside from the controversy over his moves, which was a bizarre decision.
2. The movie lacks drama. Almost completely. The roles are very well filled, but the actors don't actually act much they put on a show. There's no inter-character tension save for a few specific scenes, not really much dialog, and events just sort of unfold either as scenes or quick cuts on a montage. It tells a very general overview of his life without actually depicting events much at all.

In the movie, the Parker character often describes show business as as series of snow jobs. The irony of the film is, it is a snow job itself. All razzle dazzle. Some of it's enjoyable scene to scene but it lacks for tension, conflict, drama, and plot.

and even uses period-incorrect rap music during 1950s sequences

I think the goal of this was to draw a line between the white Elvis breaking cultural barriers with his music heavily influenced by black culture and presenting that impact on modern music. If that makes sense. Did it work as part of the film or not is another matter but I don't think it was anything other then that, not from a lack of effort of correctness.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Predator (1987) - 8/10

A US military rescue team is hunted by an unseen assassin in a Central American jungle.

Predator is a mainstream B-movie. The plot is simple, the characters are generic, and the setting is basic. If that's true, then why has this movie been so popular for almost 40 years?

My opinion is that the movie does so much right that it makes up for its flaws.

One of Predator's biggest strengths is its pacing. After we meet our characters, director John McTiernan throws the audience into the jungle right away. As dread begins to build with the discovery of quartered and skinned human corpses, the film is well balanced with a huge gun fight between the rescue team and a local militia. The movie continues this balance of terror and over-the-top action throughout the duration of the run time, and it works very well; there isn't a dull moment in the film.

The movie's characters are extremely memorable, despite surface level character traits and spotty acting. Those flaws are masked by charisma and some of the most muscle bound bodies you'll ever see, in this testosterone dripping sausage fest of a film. Arnold Schwarzenegger stars as rescue team leader Dutch, and his performance is wooden by even his standards; he basically lets his muscles do the acting. This movie is serious in nature, but Arnie's character has a ton of random one liners that don't land (ironically, the serious line of "get to the chopper!" is a pop culture staple nearly four decades later).

Fortunately Carl Weathers is also in this film to add some legitimacy to the performances. I actually find Weathers' Dillon character to be the main character for most of the movie. Though Dutch is the group leader, Dillon has the most backstory and clearest character motivations, and we spend a lot of time with him in the jungle and see a lot of things through his eyes. Dillion is actually the first character to see the Predator without its stealth camouflage.

Speaking of the the Predator, the creature is amazing. I think we somewhat take it for granted now because its been tattooed in our minds for the past few decades. It is and was a great horror villain, with an iconic look and unique character traits. The movie famously almost went with an earlier design that looked more like a lizard, which I think would have hurt it considerably. Additional shooting was required after Stan Winston finalized the character as we know him now.

Finally, the music by Alan Silvestri is great. 20th Century Fox continue to use the score of this film in sequels to this day; it's iconic.

Add it all up and you get a movie that has no business being as good as it is, but will probably still be enjoyed by audiences 100 years from now.

MV5BYzJhZmFkZGMtMWFiZi00ZTNjLWFjNDctMWFkZjRjODEwZDM1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

Slaughter High (1986) - 4/10

A group of adults are summoned to their high school reunion, only to find out the invitation was a ruse and they're being stalked by a former classmate whom they wronged.

This movie reminds me of the Boris Karloff film The Man They Could Not Hang (1939), or any of the Agatha Christie 'And Then There Were None' film adaptations - except much, much crappier.

Slaughter High is about a nerdy high school student named Marty (Simon Scuddamore - who passed away shortly after production), who's humiliated on April Fool's Day after being tricked into getting naked by his classmates (this is a rare movie with full frontal male nudity). If that wasn't enough, Marty is pranked again, only this time he's horrible burned with acid as a result. 10 years later, Marty tricks his classmates into attending a fake class reunion at their now defunct high school, where he traps everyone inside and goes on a killing spree.

I honestly think the set up is good, but the execution is poor. The kills are a mixed bag, and the movie really struggles with its characters; both in terms of acting and writing. Slaughter High is a UK production with UK actors, but everyone tries to fake American accents and it comes off as awkward.

There's also a reliance on the idiot plot here. I don't know about you, but if I was trapped in my creepy old high school and people were dying around me, I don't think I'd get completely naked and take a bath, nor do I think I'd decide to get naked and have sex. I realize other horror movies have scenes like this - they're practically a slasher genre requirement - but it works in other films because those characters aren't aware of the danger yet. In Slaughter High, any tension that is built up goes away when characters continue to do things that defy logic.

The music in this movie was composed by Harry Manfredini, famous for his work in the Friday the 13th series. I mention this for two reasons. Firstly, the movie actually uses several music cues from the Friday the 13th series, which feel very out of place. Secondly, the new music is truly bizarre; it sounds like something you'd hear if someone slipped on a banana peel, followed by hair metal music. I hated it the first time I heard it in the movie, but I have to say it did grow on me by the end. It's so strange that it somehow works.

The movie does have one cool scene at the very end (major spoiler) - when Marty, having killed everyone, is haunted by visions of their ghosts. But mostly the movie is below average. I watched it on streaming, and the version available looked like a VHS copy, and was so dark in some instances that I couldn't see what was happening. Even so, I think I saw enough to be confident in my ranking. But they, the movie poster is cool!

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Boss Level (Carnahan, 2020) - Same director as Copshop, and like it, it's non-stop action and (slightly less) dumb. The video game angle is a nice touch, but not developed enough to really be interesting. The guy still has some kind of a signature, even if not a very original one (yet) - tries very hard to be cool - made me appreciate the other one a little better. Both films might reach 4, but I'll keep them for now at 3.5/10

Cleaner
(Harlin, 2007) - I should like Harlin, he's a horror director (Prison, A Nightmare On Elm Street 4) who made it "big". Problem is, he's really bad at his job - really the embodiment of a "doer", with no signature whatsoever. The story here is ok, the problem is in the execution. No pace, no suspense, it has some "cool editing" flashes that don't match the tone of the film, and at some point an editing f***up so bad and jarring that you feel the characters should have reacted to it and the film should just have gone meta (a shot repeting itself - I must have rewinded it 10 times to try to understand what they were thinking). 2.5/10

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I think the goal of this was to draw a line between the white Elvis breaking cultural barriers with his music heavily influenced by black culture and presenting that impact on modern music. If that makes sense. Did it work as part of the film or not is another matter but I don't think it was anything other then that, not from a lack of effort of correctness.
Yes, it makes total sense. That was the first thing I thought of when I watched it. They were making the connection between Elvis of the mid-20th century, and the butterfly effect that helped shape the music of Black rap artists of the latter part of the century. It just didn't work for me. It was a shallow gesture — like picking low-hanging fruit. It seemed to me that the connection needed to be made better and in more detail, or not at all. In a movie like this which chooses style over substance, I felt that making that connection was akin to briefly punching above one's weight class. To mix metaphors, it was like throwing a diamond on a turd.

I think you can tell I'm not a fan of the movie. :laugh:

Last edited:

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Top-10 American, off the cuff and no real order besides McCarthy and Nabokov, going with pure peak:

Cormac McCarthy (greatest of all-time, IMO. All countries, all eras)
Vladimir Nabokov
Flannery O'Connor
Iceberg Slim
Ernest Hemingway
Joan Didion
Kurt Vonnegut
Paul Bowles
J.D. Salinger
John Cheever

You picked Iceberg Slim. I knew I should have pushed the envelope with Hunter Thompson. :nod:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
This maybe doesn't technically qualify for this thread, but I'm not sure where else to put it.

I just finished watching the three-part Ken Burns documentary, Hemmingway. It was fantastic, narrated mainly by Peter Coyote and Jeff Daniels.

Hemmingway was definitely a complex man, and with some truly abhorrent character traits. After watching the documentary, I am left convinced that one of the very few positive character traits that Ernest Hemmingway possessed, was that he was a good writer.

Also, I think his reputation as a macho man, for lack of a better term, has propelled his reputation as a writer, and falsely so. While he is responsible for some iconic works, I don't think he's even close to the top of the list of greatest writers. Maybe top 20. It's his reputation as a man's man that drags the opinion that he was a great writer up into the stratosphere.

Ken Burns hits all the marks. He's provided a thorough exposé that will leave you admiring Hemmingway one minute, hating him the next, but ultimately in the end, pitying him.
There's a Books You're Currently Reading thread somewhere

I've read one Hemingway in my life (The Sun Also Rises) and it made me so angry I swore off him since.

• Haha
Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Haven't seen you in awhile. Hope you're well.
I am alive and not watching films or reading books

Good to see you're still around

Ed - actually the last film I watched was Scanners and I thought it looked a bit too cheap to be convincing and was a bit too aimless to feel properly consequential

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
spotlight-1.jpg

Spotlight-2015

Journalists of the Boston Globe search for the truth in a story of sexual molestation of minors by clergy. The bulk of the film is within the newspaper's offices so had to be well written to maintain interest and it was. A reminder of the important role the media can play. Painful story, great film.

274-2.jpg

The Bucket List-2007

Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman as two very different men who end up in the same hospital room. Both know their days are numbered and this helps them form a bond and come up with a bucket list. Some cool location shots to change the mood of the film (those green screens come in handy). Would probably be just another movie but the always watchable leads help raise the bar.

Was interesting to read this Q & A on the film:

The-Girl-in-the-News-1940-3-300x227.jpg

The Girl in the News-1940

Margaret Lockwood (the Lady Vanishes) in the middle of another mystery. At the start of the story a caregiver is charged with murder, after her matron appears to commit suicide. She is found not guilty but then finds it impossible to find another job. Until she receives a letter with a tip of a chance of employment. Good drama from Carol Reed (Night Train to Munich, The Fallen Idol, The Third Man...).

drunken_angel_2.jpg

Drunken Angel-1948

Want to check out some Kurosawa films, seemed like a good place to start. A doctor shows concerns for a young gangster in a run down part of town. Both show a weakness for alcohol but in the case of the young man (Toshiro Mifune) this is unwise because of his health problems but he continues to ignore the doctor's advice. First of 16 films that Mifune made with Akira Kurosawa. Thought there was an excellent use of sound throughout, including the music. Nicely edited, the story held my interest to the end.

Last edited:

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Predator (1987) - 8/10

A US military rescue team is hunted by an unseen assassin in a Central American jungle.

Predator is a mainstream B-movie. The plot is simple, the characters are generic, and the setting is basic. If that's true, then why has this movie been so popular for almost 40 years?

My opinion is that the movie does so much right that it makes up for its flaws.

One of Predator's biggest strengths is its pacing. After we meet our characters, director John McTiernan throws the audience into the jungle right away. As dread begins to build with the discovery of quartered and skinned human corpses, the film is well balanced with a huge gun fight between the rescue team and a local militia. The movie continues this balance of terror and over-the-top action throughout the duration of the run time, and it works very well; there isn't a dull moment in the film.

The movie's characters are extremely memorable, despite surface level character traits and spotty acting. Those flaws are masked by charisma and some of the most muscle bound bodies you'll ever see, in this testosterone dripping sausage fest of a film. Arnold Schwarzenegger stars as rescue team leader Dutch, and his performance is wooden by even his standards; he basically lets his muscles do the acting. This movie is serious in nature, but Arnie's character has a ton of random one liners that don't land (ironically, the serious line of "get to the chopper!" is a pop culture staple nearly four decades later).

Fortunately Carl Weathers is also in this film to add some legitimacy to the performances. I actually find Weathers' Dillon character to be the main character for most of the movie. Though Dutch is the group leader, Dillon has the most backstory and clearest character motivations, and we spend a lot of time with him in the jungle and see a lot of things through his eyes. Dillion is actually the first character to see the Predator without its stealth camouflage.

Speaking of the the Predator, the creature is amazing. I think we somewhat take it for granted now because its been tattooed in our minds for the past few decades. It is and was a great horror villain, with an iconic look and unique character traits. The movie famously almost went with an earlier design that looked more like a lizard, which I think would have hurt it considerably. Additional shooting was required after Stan Winston finalized the character as we know him now.

Finally, the music by Alan Silvestri is great. 20th Century Fox continue to use the score of this film in sequels to this day; it's iconic.

Add it all up and you get a movie that has no business being as good as it is, but will probably still be enjoyed by audiences 100 years from now.

MV5BYzJhZmFkZGMtMWFiZi00ZTNjLWFjNDctMWFkZjRjODEwZDM1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

Slaughter High (1986) - 4/10

A group of adults are summoned to their high school reunion, only to find out the invitation was a ruse and they're being stalked by a former classmate whom they wronged.

This movie reminds me of the Boris Karloff film The Man They Could Not Hang (1939), or any of the Agatha Christie 'And Then There Were None' film adaptations - except much, much crappier.

Slaughter High is about a nerdy high school student named Marty (Simon Scuddamore - who passed away shortly after production), who's humiliated on April Fool's Day after being tricked into getting naked by his classmates (this is a rare movie with full frontal male nudity). If that wasn't enough, Marty is pranked again, only this time he's horrible burned with acid as a result. 10 years later, Marty tricks his classmates into attending a fake class reunion at their now defunct high school, where he traps everyone inside and goes on a killing spree.

I honestly think the set up is good, but the execution is poor. The kills are a mixed bag, and the movie really struggles with its characters; both in terms of acting and writing. Slaughter High is a UK production with UK actors, but everyone tries to fake American accents and it comes off as awkward.

There's also a reliance on the idiot plot here. I don't know about you, but if I was trapped in my creepy old high school and people were dying around me, I don't think I'd get completely naked and take a bath, nor do I think I'd decide to get naked and have sex. I realize other horror movies have scenes like this - they're practically a slasher genre requirement - but it works in other films because those characters aren't aware of the danger yet. In Slaughter High, any tension that is built up goes away when characters continue to do things that defy logic.

The music in this movie was composed by Harry Manfredini, famous for his work in the Friday the 13th series. I mention this for two reasons. Firstly, the movie actually uses several music cues from the Friday the 13th series, which feel very out of place. Secondly, the new music is truly bizarre; it sounds like something you'd hear if someone slipped on a banana peel, followed by hair metal music. I hated it the first time I heard it in the movie, but I have to say it did grow on me by the end. It's so strange that it somehow works.

The movie does have one cool scene at the very end (major spoiler) - when Marty, having killed everyone, is haunted by visions of their ghosts. But mostly the movie is below average. I watched it on streaming, and the version available looked like a VHS copy, and was so dark in some instances that I couldn't see what was happening. Even so, I think I saw enough to be confident in my ranking. But they, the movie poster is cool!
Arnold-Schwarzenegger-tells-Jimmy-Fallon-to-Get-to-the-Choppa.jpg

Ed - actually the last film I watched was Scanners and I thought it looked a bit too cheap to be convincing and was a bit too aimless to feel properly consequential
This statement is mind blowing.....

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I am alive and not watching films or reading books

Good to see you're still around

David Cronenberg is a bit of a sick f***, but Canadians should still be proud of him, because how cool was this. :laugh:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
A Brighter Summer Day (1991) - 10/10

In 1960 Taipei, a junior high school student becomes involved with a youth street gang after befriending the girlfriend of its leader.

I don't think anything I write in the next few paragraphs will be able to do this movie justice. Based on its acclaim, I am sure there are hundreds of essays out there somewhere; meanwhile I've just seen A Brighter Summer Day for the first time. But here are my thoughts.

This is a very lived in movie. Everything about it feels authentic, and you feel like you're watching real people rather than characters. There is some explanation for that. The film is based upon a real event, and director Edward Yang reported used upwards of 100 untrained actors/locals, including in key roles. Chi-tsan Wang (Cat) and Lisa Yang (Ming) were both sensational, but basically have no other acting credits.

To me, the themes of this movie are belonging and uncertainty. 1960 was only 11 years removed from the end of the Chinese Civil War, in which the Republic of China retreated to Taiwan following the Communist Party's victory. This movie paints a portrait of what life was like at that time: displaced Chinese, living under authoritarian rule, in previously built Japanese housing, with an American rock and roll music backdrop.

The movie focuses on the effects of these factors through one family. As the parents struggle to make ends meet, their children go down dark paths; for main character Si'r - their 14-year-old son, and fourth child - this involves becoming entangled with the local youth gangs. Over the movie's run time, we are witness to the corrosion this causes in his life.

Speaking of the movie's run time - it's 4 hours (3 hours, 57 minutes). It doesn't feel like it though. Even though it's a gut punch of a film, it's hard to look away thanks to its brilliant direction, cinematography, and acting. I scanned IMDB's reviews and I saw a few reviewers rate the movie a 5, citing its run time as excessive. I adamantly disagree; this movie needs to be long to give us the full impact of the events, as well as examining a lot of the more subtle moments that help steer the characters down the paths they end up on.

And this movie has a lot of characters. Though the movie focuses on Si'r and his family, A Brighter Summer Day also has story arcs for upwards of a dozen characters. Frequently, those arcs managed to subvert my expectations. One small example I can give without spoiling anything is the character of Honey; a gang leader the characters hype up to be a big bad, only for the film to show us he is a thoughtful, reasonable person.

Long story short, it's pretty much a masterpiece in my opinion. The next film, not so much.

I love Yang. He is indeed a master of the craft, and I absolutely recommend people to watch his entire filmography in chronological order, because one can see the progression of his worldview. He was rather angry and spiteful in the 80s, then he seems to reach an acceptance in the 90s, and finally achieved Zen at the very end. In my recollection, no filmmaker has went through such a complete journey like he did, so I think it will be a very interesting experience.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: shadow1

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
wag-the-dog.jpg

Wag the Dog-1997

'You furnish the pictures, I'll furnish the war'.-William Randolph Hearst

How to deal with a political scandal? Create a story that knocks the scandal off the front page news. Interesting look at manipulation of opinions and how far things could go to cover 'assets'. Awesome cast, cool for me to see Dustin Hoffman and Robert De Niro together in a film. Watching Anne Heche was thinking about the recent crash, she's good here. Had to be well written to come off, was for the most part. And has Mark Knopfler and Willie Nelson music.

Believe it or not, I watched this one at school, when the teacher wanted to explain the political system, and what spin doctors are. I cannot say anything about the quality, because I was not yet immersed in movies back then, but since I can still remember this one quite well, there must be some merits to it. I did not like the ending, but now that I think about it, I was just used to Hollywood movies with closure and happy endings back then, so I was not used to a movie that did not have either.

the-mule-02.jpg

The Mule-2018

Earl (Clint Eastwood) is a veteran and older Willy Lomanish type who spent his life on the road working which had eventually left him estranged from his family. He's given the chance to make some easy money and sees an opportunity to maybe get back in the good graces. Good story and Clint knows how to make a film. Enjoyed the pacing and subtle use of music. Good film based on a true story.

This is made during Eastwood's current phase where he wants to turn every real-life story into a movie, and this was one of his worst work I have seen. I am bored by the story, his acting is terrible, and I am sick of his tendency to turn every one of his protagonist into a Christ-like figure. Eastwood did redeem himself with Richard Jewel, so he proves that he still has some gas left in the tank, but in The Mule, I really thought he was done, and should just retire.

0*VriCozdNIn9NiC_7.jpg

Dave-1993

The US president has taken seriously ill after a stroke. Those around him cannot bear the thought of the Vice President replacing him and begin a search for a doppelganger. They find him in Dave (Kevin Kline). This film could easily go off the rails and become silly but I bought Kevin Kline as he really plays himself. I contrast that with Sean Penn in the remake of All the King's Men which didn't work. Could see Sigourney Weaver as a first lady for real, she's very good here. Good supporting cast, good film.

Dave is probably the last decent Ivan Reitman movie. The premise is dumb, and it should not have worked due to the large leap of faith that is required, but Klein and his co-stars inject so much purity and sweetness that made this improbable tale hard to dislike. I watched it recently, and it is a welcome reprieve to see people who still has a sense of shame.

bonnie-and-clyde-12.jpg

Bonnie & Clyde-1967

Re-watched the tale of the (in)famous duo. One of those legends that seems to have a life of it's own. Was trying to think of a gangster film I've seen from the 1930's that topped this one. Two Bogart films were memorable High Sierra and The Petrified Forest. This film may be the best, really captures the period without over glamorizing the life they were living. Faye Dunaway is awesome as Bonnie and Warren Beatty is pretty good too. Strong supporting cast, most before they were well known. Classic.

I never know what to make of Bonnie and Clyde. It is alright, and it helped to usher in the New Hollywood era, but I thought it is still rather rough around the edges, and it still cannot escape that grand Hollywood production which makes it look fake to me, so I can never hold it in high regards.

Last edited:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Samaritan (2022) - 5/10

A 13-year-old boy believes that his senior neighbor (Sylvester Stallone) is a local superhero who's been presumed dead for 25 years. I'm tired of every other thing being about superheroes these days, so I was hesitant to watch this and almost turned it off after the intro, but it ended up not being as bad or as "comic" as I feared. It's rather grounded and more on the Unbreakable and Punisher end of the superhero spectrum, which I find more tolerable than the superpowers end. It's cliched and a bit corny and the acting isn't very good, but at least it has a little heart with the boy and old man making an impression on one another. I liked the twist near the end and the message that it led to. Overall, I can't say that I liked the movie, but it exceeded my low expectations. It's on Prime.

Nope (2022) - 4/10

Sibling horse trainers (Daniel Kaluuya, Keke Palmer) believe that something otherworldly is in the sky above their ranch. It reminded me of Close Encounters of the Third Kind, but without the wonder, mystery, tension and character development. Some have described it as part comedy, but nothing seemed funny to me. It just felt awkward, nonsensical and half an hour too long, partly thanks to a monkey subplot that had little to do with the main plot. I also found the ending pretty underwhelming. I liked the cinematography, but not much else. Supposedly, its underlying theme is our attraction to spectacle, but it feels like that theme means more to Jordan Peale than it does to the viewer even after watching the film. I love sci-fi, but I just didn't find this entertaining or thought provoking.

The Immaculate Room (2022) - 4/10

A couple (Emile Hirsch, Kate Bosworth) tries to live for 50 days in a mostly empty, completely white room in order to win $5M. I'm a sucker for movies set in confined spaces, but this one didn't work for me. I found the characters pretty unlikable. They're selfish and suspicious and have no chemistry. Even early on, they looked like people who weren't right for one another and hoped that an experience and prize money would magically make everything better. It was a bit depressing. They aren't even really tested by the challenge, so the majority of the drama comes from them overreacting towards each other. I wanted to strangle them both at different points. It's a rather dull story and the flat direction does nothing to elevate it. I get the feeling that this was made because it was easy to make under COVID restrictions, not because the filmmakers were really inspired by the premise.

Last edited:

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Believe it or not, I watched this one at school, when the teacher wanted to explain the political system, and what spin doctors are. I cannot say anything about the quality, because I was not yet immersed in movies back then, but since I can still remember this one quite well, there must be some merits to it. I did not like the ending, but now that I think about it, I was just used to Hollywood movies with closure and happy endings back then, so I was not used to a movie that did not have either.

This is made during Eastwood's current phase where he wants to turn every real-life story into a movie, and this was one of his worst work I have seen. I am bored by the story, his acting is terrible, and I am sick of his tendency to turn every one of his protagonist into a Christ-like figure. Eastwood did redeem himself with Richard Jewel, so he proves that he still has some gas left in the tank, but in The Mule, I really thought he was done, and should just retire.

Dave is probably the last decent Ivan Reitman movie. The premise is dumb, and it should not have worked due to the large leap of faith that is required, but Klein and his co-stars inject so much purity and sweetness that made this improbable tale hard to dislike. I watched it recently, and it is a welcome reprieve to see people who still has a sense of shame.

I never know what to make of Bonnie and Clyde. It is alright, and it helped to usher in the New Hollywood era, but I thought it is still rather rough around the edges, and it still cannot escape that grand Hollywood production which makes it look fake to me, so I can never hold it in high regards.
Was interesting to see Wag The Dog again. It`s a satire but the attempted manipulations of opinion seemed to ring truer today.

I like Clint Eastwood`s later films because they have adult themes, more focused on telling the story then adding a bunch of superflous action. And I like his taste in music & the judicious use here.

Reading a book on Bonnie & Clyde by Paul Schneider, the film has alot of `dramatic licence` in it. The real story is different. What makes that film for me was Faye Dunaway`s performance. What`s the old saying, it`s a movie not a documentary, it`s Hollywood.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I love Yang. He is indeed a master of the craft, and I absolutely recommend people to watch his entire filmography in chronological order, because one can see the progression of his worldview. He was rather angry and spiteful in the 80s, then he seems to reach an acceptance in the 90s, and finally achieved Zen at the very end. In my recollection, no filmmaker has went through such a complete journey like he did, so I think it will be a very interesting experience.
I'm in general agreement with you on this except for YiYi, which I found massively disappointing. I thought it was manipulative, melodramatic and I couldn't believe some of the characters at all (the brother, was it?). The rest of Yang's work I'm more than fine with, but YiYi irritates me no end.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Was interesting to see Wag The Dog again. It`s a satire but the attemted manipulations of opinion seemed to ring truer today.

I like Clint Eastwood`s later films because they have adult themes, more focused on telling the story then adding a bunch of superflous action. And i like his taste in music & the judicious use here.

Reading a book on Bonnie & Clyde by Paul Schneider, the film has alot of `dramatic licence` in it. The real story is different. What makes that film for me was Faye Dunaway`s performance. What`s the old saying, it`s a movie not a documentary, it`s Hollywood.
Agree with all of this.As far as Bonny and Clyde is concerned, sure, it took liberties with the story, but what Hollywood gangster movie based on a real person doesn't. To me, it had an energy that absolutely crackled and made it seem actually revolutionary at the time. It jumped off the screen. It provided sort of a counterculture perspective and had its audience rooting for the "bad guys." I thought it was the American response to Breathless. I still think of it as a work that was unbelievably fresh and immediate, one of the most important US movies of its era.

Reactions: Pink Mist and Chili

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Aliens vs Predator: Requiem (2007) - 1/10

After a space ship containing xenormorphs and a dangerous Alien-Predator hybrid crash lands in rural Colorado, a Predator named Wolf travels to earth to stop the infestation.

AVPR picks up moments after Alien vs Predator ends, with the Predalien seen at the end of that movie serving as the main antagonist of this film. Though I find the set up of the ship crash landing on earth to be good conceptually, this movie's execution...my god, is it bad.

Without even critiquing the movie itself, it must be pointed out that AVPR is not lit properly. There are numerous instances where you legitimately cannot see what it taking place on the screen. I watched this movie in on a projector in a pitch black room and I still couldn't see what was happening some of the time. Even scenes that take place outdoors in broad daylight are underlit, with harsh shadows partially obscuring the actor's faces. Then, to add insult to injury, the plot calls for the town to lose power halfway through the movie - you can't make this stuff up!

I am not sure if the lighting issue was something that occurred on set, or some kind of weird filter that was added in post-production. I think it's the latter, but I'm not positive. What I am sure of is you could make a game out of how many scenes would qualify as being properly lit. It wouldn't be very fun though - if you took a shot every time one of these scenes occur, you'd finish the movie with only a light buzz.

As for the film itself, it's pretty disgraceful for a movie feature two A-list horror movie icons.

The cast is an ensemble, with no real lead person that we follow. We have a group featuring a sheriff, a solider and her daughter, an ex-con and his pizza deliveryman younger brother, and a generic love interest for the younger brother. These characters are all terrible, with bad dialogue, absolutely no charisma, and no character traits outside of their most basic character descriptions; i.e. "sheriff" or "pizza delivery guy".

(Note: there's also a group of douchebags who we briefly spend some time with. At one point, they chastise the pizza delivery guy's uniform, saying "isn't Halloween in October?" Aside from being an example of terrible dialogue, I point this out because the original AvP takes place on October 10th and therefore this movie also takes place in October. Nice attention to detail; it's not like this movie cost $40M to make or anything.)

Wolf, the only Predator in the movie, is probably the actual main character. Still, they manage to screw up its motivations too. Wolf arrives on Earth to stop the alien infestation, but kills and skins the first person it sees. Yes, that person - a deputy - did have a firearm, but said firearm was holstered, Wolf never identified that the firearm was even there, and said person was running away. What a worthy trophy.

Plus, didn't Wolf arrive on earth to save the humans? Imagine if the sheriff, who deputizes the ex-con in this film, randomly started shouting "freeze, police!" and shot him dead because hey, he's law enforcement and that guy was a criminal with a gun! Maybe that's not a direct apples-to-apples comparison, but I don't think it's that far off.

Unlike its predecessor (which was rated PG-13), AVPR has an R rating and utilizes it with a few pretty gross sequences, particularly one that takes place in a hospital. As disgusting as some of these scenes are, they still manage to fall flat in the horror department. The movie doesn't build any tension leading up to them; they just seem to happen out of the blue. And because of the poor writing, we don't really care what happens to any of the cardboard cut out characters due to a lack of emotional connection. In other words, the movie isn't scary; it just has stomach turning visuals.

AVPR didn't have a Marvel level budget, but at $40M we should've gotten something a heck of a lot better than this. Worse movies do exist, but movies with this big of a budget from a major studio should not be this bad; AVPR is the absolute bottom of the barrel as far as mainstream releases go. I could probably give it a 2/10, but I have to again bring up this movie's lightning issues. There are way too many moments where you can't tell what the heck is going on, and that's unacceptable. As a result, AVPR gets the lowest score possible. It's abysmal.

Reactions: Osprey and OzzyFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad