Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate it | {Insert Appropriate Seasonal Greeting Here}

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
The Knack ... and How to Get It. Much heralded 60s comedy set amid mod London (it won the damn Palme d'Or!). Richard Lester's follow-up to his Beatles-staring A Hard Day's Night. A lot of those zany antics are redeployed here but it's much less charming without the Fab Four and their music. Here we get a nebbish teacher who takes in a cool musician in hopes of learning how to pick up chicks (the "knack" in the title). They eventually joust over a new-to-town woman who doesn't seem particularly keen on either young man. This is a busy, playful film and you see Lester's influence elsewhere ... but lord I was not feeling this. Barely funny gags (riding a bed down a street, popping in and out of a series of doors in an alley) are dragged into tedium. Frequent cutaways to random commentary/jokes/voice over by observers and passers by irritated me. It didn't help that the VO often isn't synced with the visuals so there's an unpleasant disorienting effect. The whole thing felt like the visual equivalent of a morning radio show sound board. I haven't even gotten to the last third of the movie which deals with a rape ... is its flippant approach satirical commentary or a grossly dated misstep? I was so annoyed at that point, I don't really have an opinion to register on that issue.

Reactions: kihei and OzzyFan

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Agree with all of this.As far as Bonny and Clyde is concerned, sure, it took liberties with the story, but what Hollywood gangster movie based on a real person doesn't. To me, it had an energy that absolutely crackled and made it seem actually revolutionary at the time. It jumped off the screen. It provided sort of a counterculture perspective and had its audience rooting for the "bad guys." I thought it was the American response to Breathless. I still think of it as a work that was unbelievably fresh and immediate, one of the most important US movies of its era.
I watched the two Dillinger films awhile ago ( 1945 & 1973). Lots of stuff made up for the first one (Lawrence Tierney was one scary dude in real life as well as on screen). The second one was supposed to be the factual film of the two but there is still a list of stuff that was altered. There is another film I should have mentioned that as far as I know is fiction called Gun Crazy 1950. Similar story to Bonnie & Clyde, husband & wife on the run, robbing & shooting along the way. Very well done film.

Reactions: kihei

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Nope (2022) - 4/10

Sibling horse trainers (Daniel Kaluuya, Keke Palmer) believe that something otherworldly is in the sky above their ranch. It reminded me of Close Encounters of the Third Kind, but without the wonder, mystery, tension and character development. Some have described it as part comedy, but nothing seemed funny to me. It just felt awkward, nonsensical and half an hour too long, partly thanks to a monkey subplot that had little to do with the main plot. I also found the ending pretty underwhelming. I liked the cinematography, but not much else. Supposedly, its underlying theme is our attraction to spectacle, but it feels like that theme means more to Jordan Peale than it does to the viewer even after watching the film. I love sci-fi, but I just didn't find this entertaining or thought provoking.

I think the monkey/chimp subplot ties into the story well actually. The chimp's parallels to the UFO story and their meaning and exploitation/entertainment themes are pretty good. And obviously Jupe's survival and "future" theme park tie into the main story directly. There is some "Jaws-esque" tension in the UFO scenes, wonder is probably a bit lacking, mystery is the obvious surface curiosity at hand but nothing too deep. There's a decent amount of humor I'd say, but this varies person to person widely and I can see a lot of it not landing for some people. Thought provoking? Hmmm, I'd definitely argue it's smartly made and has meaning scattered all over, but I guess the thought provoking thing depends how much you buy into it's major theme(s), which it feels you didn't. It's definitely not perfect though, and it does borrow, albeit distinctively, from better films.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I'm in general agreement with you on this except for YiYi, which I found massively disappointing. I thought it was manipulative, melodramatic and I couldn't believe some of the characters at all (the brother, was it?). The rest of Yang's work I'm more than fine with, but YiYi irritates me no end.

Yeah, that is fair. I watched it when I just began to understand the world of cinema, and because my mom is Taiwanese, it really resonated with me at that point in time, and I am very fond of it. I am sure you are right though, because I have very little inclination to see it again, but it left me with such a good memory, that I am reluctant to give it a bad grade.

Reactions: kihei

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Agree with all of this.As far as Bonny and Clyde is concerned, sure, it took liberties with the story, but what Hollywood gangster movie based on a real person doesn't. To me, it had an energy that absolutely crackled and made it seem actually revolutionary at the time. It jumped off the screen. It provided sort of a counterculture perspective and had its audience rooting for the "bad guys." I thought it was the American response to Breathless. I still think of it as a work that was unbelievably fresh and immediate, one of the most important US movies of its era.

Funny enough, I finally watched Breathless about a month or two ago, and I did not like it that much either. I can see its significance, and I do like its energy, but Godard's freestyle rubs me the wrong way.

It is good that you mentioned Breathless, because I can see how both are somewhat cut from the same cloth, and it explains why I did not like either.

Reactions: kihei and Osprey

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
Recent viewings:
Chip 'n' Dale's Rescue Rangers
6.5/10
Perfectly acceptable Roger Rabbit-style comedy. Full of cameos and in-jokes. Gets a little weird sometimes but has some good gags.

Shang Chi
7/10
Finally got around to seeing this. It's a reasonable lower-tier Marvel movie. I feel it would have been a lot better if it leaned into the martial arts movie and Chinese folklore side of things a little more than the CGI Marvel movie side of things. Felt the movie could have had a lot more depth.

Reactions: OzzyFan and shadow1

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
something.jpg

Something Wicked This Way Comes (1983) - 6/10

When a mysterious carnival comes to town, two curious boys see something inside that they shouldn't and are hunted by the ringleader (Jonathan Pryce). In the early 80s, Disney got their kicks by giving nightmares to children like me with dark films like this. This one has a devilish magician who preys on old people and young boys, a spooky witch who can literally stop hearts, hundreds of tarantulas converging on children, a freshly decapitated head of a young boy, an old man electrocuted while strapped into a chair and another slowly electrocuted until he's nothing but a smoking skeleton. Curiously, it still isn't on Disney+. I wonder why. Seriously, it's pretty intense for a children's movie. I liked it for its atmosphere, which is creepy (even if not "scary" by adult standards), and its setting of a small Midwest town and carnival in Autumn during the 1930s. I also appreciated the rather mature themes of aging and regret that I probably couldn't relate to as a kid but can now. It was nice to re-watch a movie that I hadn't seen since I was young and do it from a different perspective. Also, it's always neat to re-open childhood scars.

sorceress.jpg

Sorceress (1982) - 6/10

Twins who are not sorceresses, but definitely are girls, wave around their swords and other assets. You guys were right. This is terrific trash. This movie has some of the worst dialogue and acting that I've heard since The Room. I had tears from laughing at some of the corny lines and their deliveries. Apparently, the original audio was lost or unusable, so the actors had to be dubbed. I'm convinced that the villain was dubbed by an office employee. The plot isn't any better. Supposedly, the writer was told to "write a script by Monday," which I can believe. I liked how the villain employed torture and other creative means to try to determine which twin was the first born when he could've simply sacrificed them both and how the girls grew up believing that they were boys without ever noticing that they were endowed like their mother and sister. I was also amused by the main stud's out-of-place Brady Bunch perm, the guys hopping around in the fakest-looking gorilla costumes and how amateurish the fight scenes were. I did genuinely like the sets, general production design and lively soundtrack (which, I just learned, was James Horner's soundtrack to Battle Beyond the Stars recycled). The movie did have some effort and skill put into it... just not into the writing and acting. As such, it's surprisingly watchable, but also hilariously bad... a real "so bad it's good" gem, like you guys said. It's on Tubi.

Last edited:

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
Wings of Desire / Der Himmel über Berlin (Wim Wenders, 1987)

The streets of Berlin are roamed by angels invisible to the human eye who eavesdrop on the mortals’ private thoughts and possess the ability to discretely provide warmth and comfort to those feeling anguish. We follow two angels, Damiel (Bruno Ganz) and Cassiel (Otto Sander), as they go about their duties eavesdropping primarily on Peter Falk (playing himself) on a movie shoot and a beautiful trapeze artist, who Damiel gets romantic feelings for. One day Damiel asks Cassiel to make him human and for the first time he experiences colours, blood, pain, and what it means to be human while setting out to find his girl.

Wings of Desire is a beautiful film loaded in a melancholic atmosphere. Shot primarily in black and white, we eavesdrop on humans as they express existential doubt, illness, and death, but also the small joys of being human: love and seeing Nick Cave live. Berlin in the late 80s (my favourite city in the world) is the perfect setting for this film, as a gritty city that personifies the conflictions of anxiety, dread, and hope of the final days of the Cold War. Bruno Gaz with his everyday man appearance, gentle gaze, and ability to express deep feelings is the perfect actor too for the lead role. Despite the melancholy it is difficult not leave the film feeling comforted that life is going to be okay.

Lovely film, will probably improve even more on a rewatch.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017

sorceress.jpg

Sorceress (1982) - 6/10

Twins who are not sorceresses, but definitely are girls, wave around their swords and other assets. You guys were right. This is terrific trash. This movie has some of the worst dialogue and acting that I've heard since The Room. I had tears from laughing at some of the corny lines and their delivery. Apparently, the original audio was lost or unusable, so the actors had to be dubbed. I'm convinced that the villain was dubbed by an office employee. The plot isn't any better. Supposedly, the writer was told to "write a script by Monday," which I can believe. I liked how the villain employed torture and other creative means to try to determine which twin was the first born when he could've simply sacrificed them both and how the girls grew up believing that they were boys without ever noticing that they were endowed like their mother and sister. I was also amused by the main stud's out-of-place Brady Bunch perm, the guys hopping around in the fakest-looking gorilla costumes and how amateurish the fight scenes were. I did genuinely like the sets, general production design and lively soundtrack (which, I just learned, was James Horner's soundtrack to Battle Beyond the Stars recycled). The movie had some effort and skill put into it... just not into the writing and acting. As such, it's surprisingly watchable, but also hilariously bad... a real "so bad it's good" gem, like you guys said. It's on Tubi.
Really glad you liked it, I still blame Kallio for this one - and still laugh about it whenever it crosses my mind.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Taipei Story (1985) - 7/10

This is a bit on the meandering side and not as well-rounded or polished as Yi Yi which makes sense since it's an earlier work by the auteur. Still, it's a solid film with lots of nice neon lighting and downmoods. Sadly they're a bit monotone in their dourness which he did a much better job by the time he made Yi Yi where he injected a wider variety of emotion in between the city bleakness. I wasn't born then but it feels like a nostalgic film to me from the scenes in restaurants to the ones in streets, almost like he was making it for people in the future to see city life back in 1985 when Orwell was proven right.

Riders of Justice (2021) - 6/10

I disliked the tension and sudden bouts of violence in this film. It's tonally strange. It wants to be serious and deal with grief while also being slapstick in other parts. To me it leads to a film with some nice scenes but not one I can take seriously in any direction. It's par for the course I guess for modern Scandinavian filmmakers who make it abroad, they all seem pretty f***ed up in the head and not afraid to let it leak into their films.

• Love

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
The Predator (2018) - 5/10

A US Army sniper, his autistic son, and The Loonies - a group of unstable soldiers - are hunted by both a secret government agency and a Predator after stealing some of the creature's technology.

The Predator has a very similar plot to Predator 2, with the same shadow government agency hunting the creature and playing bad guy to our protagonists. Jake Busey, Gary Busey's real life son, even has a small role as the son of Gary's character (both named Keyes), which I thought was a nice touch.

In my opinion the movie leans way too much into this plot line, to the point where the main conflict is human vs human. Despite the film's title, the Predator creature takes a back seat, and when on screen doesn't really act like itself. There isn't much stealth or stalking of the humans; the creature instead spends a lot of time in front of the camera and relies on brute strength, similar to the Hulk.

This change to the titular character is partially a result in a change of direction to this movie itself. Unlike the rest of this action-horror series, The Predator is an action-comedy. Though the movie does have decent action sequences, the comedy is painfully unfunny.

Sure, there are a couple humorous moments here or there, but overall the comedy is completely flat. Every character thinks they're a comedian (key word - "thinks"), but nearly everything they say is cringeworthy; especially Thomas Jane's Baxley, who suffers from Tourette's syndrome, and is essentially a walking sex joke. It's really surprising how unfunny this movie is because director Shane Black generally does comedy and genre blending well; I especially enjoy his film Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang (2005).

This movie is further damaged by the Predator's motivations, which are beyond comprehension. In a retcon, the Predators are apparently mixing human DNA with their own (which makes total sense to want to steal DNA from a species much weaker than you...) and are in a rush to collect as much as possible because mankind is on the brink of extinction due to climate change. Additionally, they're most interested in the DNA of Rory - an autistic youth - because apparently autism is the next form of human evolution (what...?).

Overall the The Predator is a bit of a mess. If you just casually watch it and don't think too much into it, it does have certain popcorn movie qualities. But, the plot quickly falls apart under even the tiniest amount of scrutiny. This was my second viewing, and though it wasn't as bad as I remembered, it's still the worst stand alone "Predator" movie.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
The Predator (2018) - 5/10

A US Army sniper, his autistic son, and The Loonies - a group of unstable soldiers - are hunted by both a secret government agency and a Predator after stealing some of the creature's technology.

The Predator has a very similar plot to Predator 2, with the same shadow government agency hunting the creature and playing bad guy to our protagonists. Jake Busey, Gary Busey's real life son, even has a small role as the son of Gary's character (both named Keyes), which I thought was a nice touch.

In my opinion the movie leans way too much into this plot line, to the point where the main conflict is human vs human. Despite the film's title, the Predator creature takes a back seat, and when on screen doesn't really act like itself. There isn't much stealth or stalking of the humans; the creature instead spends a lot of time in front of the camera and relies on brute strength, similar to the Hulk.

This change to the titular character is partially a result in a change of direction to this movie itself. Unlike the rest of this action-horror series, The Predator is an action-comedy. Though the movie does have decent action sequences, the comedy is painfully unfunny.

Sure, there are a couple humorous moments here or there, but overall the comedy is completely flat. Every character thinks they're a comedian (key word - "thinks"), but nearly everything they say is cringeworthy; especially Thomas Jane's Baxley, who suffers from Tourette's syndrome, and is essentially a walking sex joke. It's really surprising how unfunny this movie is because director Shane Black generally does comedy and genre blending well; I especially enjoy his film Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang (2005).

This movie is further damaged by the Predator's motivations, which are beyond comprehension. In a retcon, the Predators are apparently mixing human DNA with their own (which makes total sense to want to steal DNA from a species much weaker than you...) and are in a rush to collect as much as possible because mankind is on the brink of extinction due to climate change. Additionally, they're most interested in the DNA of Rory - an autistic youth - because apparently autism is the next form of human evolution (what...?).

Overall the The Predator is a bit of a mess. If you just casually watch it and don't think too much into it, it does have certain popcorn movie qualities. But, the plot quickly falls apart under even the tiniest amount of scrutiny. This was my second viewing, and though it wasn't as bad as I remembered, it's still the worst stand alone "Predator" movie.
I've been tempted to rewatch this, but I remember being pretty disappointed both as a Predator fan and (generally) a Shane Black fan.

I do remember Sterling K. Brown giving a big ol' ham sandwich of a fun performance as the government bad guy though.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Bullet Train (2022) - Had to bail halfway through because I was just so damn tired but it was better than expected. Still a pretty poor film. Simultaneously tries way too hard while attempting to be very self-aware. Seems like mainstream American films have taken a blood oath to show how with it they are and it leads to a lot of poor lines that kill momentum. There's nothing worse than comedy that obviously tries to appeal to a wide audience under a veneer of cleverness and edge. The actors try. Some gags were okay-ish.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I've been tempted to rewatch this, but I remember being pretty disappointed both as a Predator fan and (generally) a Shane Black fan.

I do remember Sterling K. Brown giving a big ol' ham sandwich of a fun performance as the government bad guy though.

The first time I watched it I went in with an open mind (despite the bad reviews) and really hated it.

I didn't hate it as much this time. It wasn't good, but the initial shock has worn off.

I read online that this movie went through a ton of reshoots, which probably didn't help matters. IIRC the original trailer made the plot out to be Rory (the kid) accidentally summoning the Predators to earth by fooling around with a piece of their technology, but that didn't even make it into the movie.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017

The first time I watched it I went in with an open mind (despite the bad reviews) and really hated it.

I didn't hate it as much this time. It wasn't good, but the initial shock has worn off.

I read online that this movie went through a ton of reshoots, which probably didn't help matters. IIRC the original trailer made the plot out to be Rory (the kid) accidentally summoning the Predators to earth by fooling around with a piece of their technology, but that didn't even make it into the movie.

Don't do it, K. This film is ri-di-cu-lous. :laugh:

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Bullet Train (2022) - Had to bail halfway through because I was just so damn tired but it was better than expected. Still a pretty poor film. Simultaneously tries way too hard while attempting to be very self-aware. Seems like mainstream American films have taken a blood oath to show how with it they are and it leads to a lot of poor lines that kill momentum. There's nothing worse than comedy that obviously tries to appeal to a wide audience under a veneer of cleverness and edge. The actors try. Some gags were okay-ish.

I felt a bit tired as well watching this one at the cinema. I think it's because the final act is bloated and 15 minutes or so longer than it needs to be. It could've been a much tighter 100ish minute action film.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Barbarian (2022)
3.10 out of 4stars

“Traveling to Detroit for a job interview, a young woman books a rental home. But when she arrives late at night, she discovers that the house is double booked and a strange man is already staying there. Against her better judgment, she decides to spend the evening, but soon discovers that there's a lot more to fear than just an unexpected house guest.”
A great horror thriller that thrives through a heavy sense of dread, a few bonkers twists, and notable satire on toxic masculinity/feminine fears. Go in knowing as little as possible about the story, and my review will coincide with that ideology for those interested. Skimming the reviews prior though, I think I went in a touch over-hyped on expectation of bonkers mayhem and horror. And there definitely is a decent level, but the touting made me expect “Hereditary” levels of it and the movie did not reach that. There is also, mostly later in the film, a good amount of dry dark humor. The movie does contain tons of buildup though, with purpose on adding to and giving background on it’s social satire themes, and not all of it is “dread inducing”, especially chunks of the beginning and midway through. For those horror-centric fans, the break in such a mood is a 180 at times. And the twists, I’d say they are going to make or break your overall grading of the film for you. You are going to think they are scarily clever, good campy, and/or just plain funny. And while it’s all well done, the implementation of those twists, especially over the last half hour, is tonally on in a horror/comedy borderline sort of way. So this is definitely not straight horror for those curious going in. Definitely different, fresh, and enjoyable.

Return to Oz (1985)
2.70 out of 4stars

“Dorothy, saved from a psychiatric experiment by a mysterious girl, is somehow called back to Oz when a vain witch and the Nome King destroy everything that makes the magical land beautiful.”
A good dark fantasy children’s film that is dark and disturbing, a complete 180 in tone from its predecessor film “The Wizard of Oz”, albeit the more faithful adaptation of Baum’s works. Released 2 years after Osprey’s recently reviewed “Something Wicked This Way Comes”, is another attempt from Disney to create sleepless nights for children. When you think about it and take away the glamourization and cheer elements from “The Wizard of Oz”, it’s material is actually very weird and a bit unhinged. This movie takes it to a whole nother level with its significant real and “Oz” world horror touches, creepy elements/visuals, and even vocal threats spoken. The imagination is generally the right kind of interesting all around here, but I’d be cautious about letting any child up to a certain elementary school age hearing and seeing what goes on in this film and hoping they get a restful night afterwards. :)

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Don't do it, K. This film is ri-di-cu-lous. :laugh:
When shadow1 gave AvP: Requiem a 1/10, I almost wrote "woah now, save room for The Predator." I didn't mean room above it. :laugh:

Return to Oz (1985)
2.70 out of 4stars

“Dorothy, saved from a psychiatric experiment by a mysterious girl, is somehow called back to Oz when a vain witch and the Nome King destroy everything that makes the magical land beautiful.”
A good dark fantasy children’s film that is dark and disturbing, a complete 180 in tone from its predecessor film “The Wizard of Oz”, albeit the more faithful adaptation of Baum’s works. Released 2 years after Osprey’s recently reviewed “Something Wicked This Way Comes”, is another attempt from Disney to create sleepless nights for children. When you think about it and take away the glamourization and cheer elements from “The Wizard of Oz”, it’s material is actually very weird and a bit unhinged. This movie takes it to a whole nother level with its significant real and “Oz” world horror touches, creepy elements/visuals, and even vocal threats spoken. The imagination is generally the right kind of interesting all around here, but I’d be cautious about letting any child up to a certain elementary school age hearing and seeing what goes on in this film and hoping they get a restful night afterwards. :)
Yep, that's another one. I remember being creeped out by the gang on stilts and roller skates. Also, the guy with the jack-o-lantern head was so unintentionally disturbing that I've always figured that it inspired the horror movie Pumpkinhead 3 years later. :pumpkin:

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
I haven't posted here in a while, so here's a bunch:

=====
House of Gucci (2021). Audiences loved it, critics – not so much. An outsider marries into a fashion powerhouse, and all kinds of conflicts ensue. TBH I expected more from Ridley Scott but then again: he hasn’t blown me away since The Gladiator. The movie drags a lot longer than it should. The story is simply not compelling enough to keep your interest for 2h37m (see Scott’s recent The Last Duel with exactly the same problem). Just like in The Last Duel, Adam Driver is not charismatic enough to justify excessive screen time. You know who is charismatic enough? Lady Gaga. She is fantastic here, and, no, I don’t like her music. She is convincing and electrifying. Hell, she even outshines the demonstrably aged Al Pacino and the absolutely god-awful Jared Leto (a total disaster of a performance). I wish that the process of her slipping into the dark zone of revenge was depicted better: “a woman scorned” plotline deserves more attention than it received. Overall, worth watching for the Lady Gucci performance alone, but you may want to keep your cell phone nearby, in case you want to check your social media. 3.5/5

Two Faces of January (2014). An excellent thriller about a husband (Viggo Mortensen) and a wife (Kirsten Dunst) traveling in 1960s Greece and befriending an American expat (Oscar Isaac). Some dark secrets will be uncovered and some blood will be spilled. Surprisingly subtle cinematography, and the gorgeous views of Greece are deliberately de-glitzed. Both Mortensen and Hayes are excellent actors; Isaac – on the verge of his breakout, which came in the same year with Ex Machina. Dunst is a little underutilized: I wish her role was a tad bigger. The story may seem mediocre in the beginning but then picks up, and the end was especially enjoyable. It almost feels like a 60s film in itself, recalling Hitchcock and Polanski, which is not exactly a bad thing. 4/5

Interlude in Prague (2019). Great idea, great costumes, great settings. Terrible plot, terrible execution, terrible acting. Mozart travels to Prague and gets tangled in an intrigue with a bunch of cardboard cutout characters. The main villain is particularly pathetic. All he needs is a pair of horns and a forked tail. You can call it “woke in baroque.” My wife and I unanimously voted to turn it off about halfway through. Sure, here Mozart is more upstanding than a goof in Amadeus, but after Amadeus, this feels like a far greater insult to his memory. 1.5/5

Tragedy of Macbeth (2021). An exercise in minimalism and PC. Black-and-white, with lots of interesting shots and interesting cinematography but that’s about it. The elephant in the room is both main leads: it’s not that Denzel Washington is too black or Francis McDermott is too old, but they display a total lack of chemistry between them. There is nothing going on between them. In fact, there is a distinct lack of emotions throughout this movie. It’s like everyone is on a benzodiazepine. The only truly amazing part is in the beginning with three witches being portrayed by a contortionist Kathryn Hunter. Overall, this film is just boring, which is an unforgivable sin. FTR I just rewatched the Soviet King Lear and was blown away yet again. It’s fantastic: passionate, dynamic, and beautifully acted. 2/5

Laura (1944). A great and perfectly executed mystery. A young talented protege of a rich old journalist is murdered. A detective falls in love with the victim’s portrait. Great dialogue and great camera angles (enhancing what otherwise would’ve been better as a theater play… which it had been originally conceived as). It’s not often that the very first frame of a film is, in fact, the most important one, but you wouldn’t know it until the end. The weak link is the lead female role: Gene Tierney is just not as good as some other female stars of the era and not nearly as good as her on-screen partners Dana Andrews and Clifton Webb. Still, a very good film. 4/5

The Third Man (1950). Another classic mystery that takes place in the torn and demolished post-WWII Vienna. A pulp fiction writer Holly Martins (Joseph Cotten) arrives from America to accept a job with his friend Harry Lime (Orson Welles), only to learn that Lime has died. Viewing his death as suspicious, Martins decides to stay in Vienna and investigate the matter. He comes across Lime’s girlfriend (Alida Valli, once hailed as “the most beautiful woman in the world” by Benito Mussolini) and a British army major (Trevor Howard), as well as other shady characters (including a Soviet officer aptly named “Brodsky,” actually played a Russian). Every frame of this film is fantastic, the mood and the atmosphere are great (in a noir way) but it feels about 10-15 minutes too long. I would have shortened the “action” plotline and slightly expanded the “botched lecture” plotline (it was, indeed, hilarious). Well worth a watch. 4/5

Everything Everywhere All At Once (2022). A slightly less coherent and more chaotic Matrix featuring a middle-aged Asian woman instead of middle-aged Keanu Reeves. It’s also less about action but more about emotion. The visuals and the special effects are not nearly as mind-blowing as Matrix was at the time (or even now) but are still excellent, especially for an indie flick. It is, as the title implies, everything and all at once: different dimensions (including one where people have hotdogs for fingers), different entities occupying same bodies, etc., so it might be difficult to keep up, but worry not – Cloud Atlas this ain’t. Both Michelle Yeoh and Ke Huy Kwan (remember Shorty in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom? he has grown and is essentially playing Jackie Chan here) give strong performances as the laundromat owners who become entangled in a multiverse crisis. For a modern film, it’s surprisingly watchable and even good. And, what’s even better, it gives you something to think about for a couple of minutes after it ends, which is more than can be said about vast majority of Hollywood production. 4/5

Funny Face (1957). Shot in New York and Paris, this silly musical has one redeemable feature: Audrey Hepburn. But what a redeemable feature she is! Strikingly gorgeous, with acting chops rarely matched, and even considerable singing and – gasp! – avant garde dancing skills! She almost saves this romantic comedy, but, alas, comes short. It will bring a smirk to your face but mostly for how banal and shallow it is. I also sense it has influenced The Devil Wears Prada but it doesn’t have the Meryl Streep / Anne Hathaway tug-of-war antagonism. But if you want to see Hepburn entering her Olympus-height peak, this is it. 2.5/5

Last Night in Soho (2021). I rarely watch horror films and I confess: I didn’t know it was going to be a horror film. Luckily, it’s not exactly scary. A debutante girl (Thomasin McKenzie) moves to “Lundun” to study fashion. She then starts having strange dreams where she travels back in time to the Swingin’ Sixties. These dreams start out nicely (almost in a Baz Luhrmann glitz-and-glamor style) but then become progressively darker. Other than this great original premise, it’s horror platitudes piling up on each other (with PC / metoo platitude as the icing on this sour pudding). At times it gets downright ridiculous: when Eloise, in a fit of delirium, almost kills her ex-roommate with scissors, in the real world she would not be making a return to class but rather straight to a psychiatric ward, because if that’s not a case of “being a danger to herself and others,” I don’t know what is. I was relieved when the movie was over. It could’ve been “Utopia Avenue.” Instead it became another genre banality. 3/5

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Thor 4: Love & Thunder (2022) - 7/10

Not the best Marvel film but this is exactly what I needed. A relatively fun two hours though I can see why some are frustrated because it's tonally all over the place. But I think they knew they were getting that with this director. I don't think it had 'editing' problems, I think it was by design and it does create some inconsistency but again, that seems more of a choice from scene to scene. I do think some of the dialgoue in recent Marvel films continues to get poorer and it even makes good actors like Natalie Portman appear....not so good.

The Counselor (2013) - 6/10

Honestly the first half was....not that bad. Gets a bit hard to enjoy once it tries to become Tarantino-esque in the latter half but without the same payoffs or humour. Cameron Diaz gets way too many lines that just don't match her as the film progresses and the other scenes are filled too much with wannabe smart dialogue.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
When shadow1 gave AvP: Requiem a 1/10, I almost wrote "woah now, save room for The Predator." I didn't mean room above it. :laugh:

Yep, that's another one. I remember being creeped out by the gang on stilts and roller skates. Also, the guy with the jack-o-lantern head was so unintentionally disturbing that I've always figured that it inspired the horror movie Pumpkinhead 3 years later. :pumpkin:

Hey! The Predator is a misunderstood masterpiece... ;)

But seriously, it wasn't good but it wasn't that terrible. I had the same opinion as everyone in this thread before watching it; in my head I was expecting to give it a 2 or 3. It turned out to be shockingly watchable though.

With that being said, I never thought I'd live to see the day I was defending The Predator...

o779zc39pxy81.jpg copy.png

• Haha
Reactions: Osprey

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The Counselor (2013) - 6/10

Honestly the first half was....not that bad. Gets a bit hard to enjoy once it tries to become Tarantino-esque in the latter half but without the same payoffs or humour. Cameron Diaz gets way too many lines that just don't match her as the film progresses and the other scenes are filled too much with wannabe smart dialogue.

@KallioWeHardlyKnewYe talk to this man this is your bat signal

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
marcel-the-shell-a24-1280.jpg

Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (2022) Directed by Dean Fleischer-Camp 7A

Being massively oblivious to almost all things YouTube and Internet, when I watched Marcel the Shell with Shoes On last week I had no idea that I was observing a cultural phenomenon of long standing. I thought I was watching just another animated film with a clever title that caught my attention. It would take a grinch not to like this movie at least a little. Marcel is a wonderful creation, a cute one-inch shell equal parts forlorn and hopeful, wishing he could be reunited with his lost family of other seashells but seeing things from a very different perspective than the rest of the world. The use of claymation in an otherwise mostly realistic, comfy middle-class setting worked really well--sort of gently surreal but not over the top. And the hook--his human friend and confidant Dean making a documentary of Marcel's life--provided lots of rich opportunities for us to get to know Marcel and his tiny world. The super cutesy little wee voice I maybe could have lived without, but, hey, why pick a nit?

Marcel owes a lot to some earlier children's animation that was also greatly adult friendly--Wallace and Gromit, Rugrats and Pingu come to mind. But what differentiates Marcel from the others is the degree of melancholy and longing that lies just beneath the surface of Marcel's little shell. There is real trauma lurking there. The script is mostly delightful--full of little insights and humour into Marcel's ways of seeing things, though sometimes the pathos can be lathered on in Chaplin-esque fashion. I found out later that the original Marcel shorts were, like, three minutes long, ala Pingu. It seems to me that is the most effective way to present Marcel: in little bits where you have time to savour the uniqueness of the perspective. But director Fleischer-Camp and his colleagues have caught lightening in a bottle this time around, so no complaints from me.

Last edited:

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
Godland / Vanskabte Land / Volaða Land (Hlynur Pálmason, 2022)

Called by the Church of Denmark in the 19th Century to travel from Denmark to a remote part of the Danish colony of Iceland, a Danish Lutheran priest and wet plate photographer submits himself to the brutal elements of Iceland and the suspicions of less than welcoming colonial subjects and puts his faith to the ultimate test. The first half of the film is shot in a slow patient manner, showing the natural beauty and brutality of the Icelandic countryside, as Lucas (Elliott Crosset Hove) travels into the heart of darkness that is 19th century Iceland. Similarities to Werner Herzog’s Aguirre: Wrath of God are easy to make here as a colonial tale of an idealist who loses their sanity colonializing (although the director, in the Q&A after the film, makes the good point that he didn’t need to travel across the world and drag a film crew there to enter these elements, much of the cast, crew, and location is from his hometown).

The film however quite literally abrupt to a stop at mark of the second half of the film to shoot in a single location to tell the story of the priest building the church and developing a crush on local woman. I think that’s where the film began to lose me a bit. Not that it’s a bad story to tell – it has a great commentary on the tensions between the colonizing Danes and the local Icelanders who are ridiculed as simple heathens – but I just found the first half much more engaging.

The film is outstandingly beautiful though. Iceland is a remarkably beautiful country unlike any other out there - as the world knows by now thanks to the quantity of tourism dollars they have pumped into advertising it - but rarely has it looked as beautiful as shot by cinematographer Maria von Hausswolff. If she ever worked on an English language film, she likely will become an Oscar recipient.

Since watching his debut Winter Brothers earlier this year, I’ve considered Pálmason to be one to watch in international cinema, and I believe it still to be true. Although I prefer Winter Brothers to this one, I think he is a great talent with a very strong and confident vision in his works - challenging his viewers and pushing the art form through experimentations while still remaining largely accessible. I look forward to his next projects.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, that is fair. I watched it when I just began to understand the world of cinema, and because my mom is Taiwanese, it really resonated with me at that point in time, and I am very fond of it. I am sure you are right though, because I have very little inclination to see it again, but it left me with such a good memory, that I am reluctant to give it a bad grade.

I'm kind of in both camps. Yiyi resonates with me a lot as well, the family feels nearly identical to mine, and I seem to be its target audience-- certain scenes really slay me. But I find myself simultaneously really annoyed by the emotional manipulation/melodrama as well. I still "like" it and think it's solid overall, but it feels a lot less tasteful and organic than the other couple Yang movies I've seen.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad