Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate it | {Insert Appropriate Seasonal Greeting Here}

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Cube (1997)
3.00 out of 4stars

“Six complete strangers with widely varying personalities are involuntarily placed in an endless maze containing deadly traps.”
A great sci-fi horror thriller with a Kafkaesque/Twilight Zone premise that is intellectually engaging and consistently gripping. The expansion of this claustrophobic survival concept is done well with intelligent choices, solid tension, and good turns. There are sprinkles of commentary and meaning throughout, especially social and existential, but I don’t think I’d say there are any thoroughly specific themes in this aspect, just ideas. This film has had a notable influence directly or indirectly on many “survival-game/puzzle” horror films and franchises, including Saw, albeit Cube is more cerebral and Saw is more visually and emotionally focused. The saddest part of it all in this movie, its conclusion gives no answers and ultimately its initial premise ends up with no purpose. If that was corrected and some of the dialogue was a bit better fleshed out this movie could have been something very special, albeit it’s still great.

Pearl (2022)
2.90 out of 4stars

“Filmmaker Ti West returns with another chapter from the twisted world of X, in this astonishing follow-up to the year's most acclaimed horror film. In 1918, trapped on her family's isolated farm, Pearl must tend to her ailing father under the bitter and overbearing watch of her devout mother. Lusting for a glamorous life like she's seen in the movies, Pearl finds her ambitions, temptations, and repressions all colliding in this stunning, technicolor-inspired origin story of X's iconic villain.”
A great drama horror with touches of surrealism that’s foremost an excellent showcase for Mia Goth’s talents, as well as being a slightly twisted origin of a murderer tale. Quite a different style of movie compared to X, this being more of a slower building character study/evolution drama and X being more of a carnal/slasher adrenaline pumping thrill fest. And again with Ti West films, it’s an ode to older movies/past-genre films and is incredibly meta on numerous levels. Here, Goth’s ability to create sympathy for such an impulsive psychopath is impressive. The plot’s about dreams being so close yet so far away given the circumstances one has been dealt with in life. There’s one point in the movie where Goth delivers a multi-minute monologue that could kill the momentum, but instead deepens the main character and our appreciation of Goth’s turn here. And the final scene is pitch perfect.

Orphan: First Kill (2022)
2.70 out of 4stars

“Esther, a 31 year old dwarf with a glandular disease that makes her have the physical appearance of a child, orchestrates a brilliant escape from an Estonian psychiatric facility. Afterward, Esther travels to America by impersonating the missing daughter of a wealthy family with thoughts of robbing them or worse.”
An overall great horror thriller with a strong 2nd half that solidly delivers. The first half of the movie is creepy and threatening enough albeit a bit redundant/cliche-even of the original film (as are a couple aspects of the second half). Midway through the film there is a great twist that is carried out well in a darkly comedic, absurdity upping, and fun way, which some would even call campy. Throw in a couple great performances along with some clever filmmaking decisions and you have a surprisingly enjoyable “sequel” prequel. Interestingly enough it’s all around a solid success, the movie has a production budget that’s under $500K and has already amassed a $12million worldwide box office to go along with its Paramount+ release and mostly favorable reviews, including a strong 74% critics/76% audience approval rating on rotten tomatoes as I am writing this.

The Gray Man (2022)
2.55 out of 4stars

“When a shadowy CIA agent uncovers damning agency secrets, he’s hunted across the globe by a sociopathic rogue operative who’s put a bounty on his head.”
I know I’m late to the party, but a good action thriller whose existence and final product is confounding at $200million and a Netflix release. Don’t get me wrong, it is good mindless dumb fun, or “good enough” popcorn entertainment with some obvious weaknesses and cliche filled parts. Problem is, this exists in a genre soaked with proven superiority over the past 10 to 15 years. If you don't want to hear a mini rant on action thrillers, stop reading now :). The Mission Impossible Franchise imo is at the peak of the mountain, John Wick a one off and close 2nd, your average Daniel Craig James Bond next I’d suggest, Matt Damon Bourne movies of similar enjoyment/quality but that franchise may be dead, and of course there is the Fast and the Furious, while nothing of similar quality of the above listed films, but has a different appeal of way over the top/cheesiness/car-centric joys. I’d put this film a tier to multiple tiers below almost every franchise listed above save for Fast and Furious. And I can’t think of 1 film aspect that Gray Man has where it does as good or better than any of the above listed franchises but F&F, at minimum for attraction and justification for it to become a multi-movie franchise. And this isn’t even getting with me getting into standalones or the oversaturated Marvel universe films which have their own action adventure appeal and “supernaturally imaginative” draw. As far as this summer big budget blockbusters go, I’d say Top Gun: Maverick was easily more fun/enjoyable. Although, this is mindless popcorn joy, so maybe this is overanalysis. :) . As I’m reading the backstory on this, Netflix’s Red Notice was also a $200 million film also? Big budget movies don’t necessarily have the shock and awe or worldbuilding like they used to out of expectation.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Love reading everyone’s reviews this time of year. Have already added a few movies to my must watch - holy spider , hit the road, everything everywhere all at once

No one got a chance to see the whale yet? I’ve noticed it’s getting some pretty mixed reviews.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Cube (1997)
3.00 out of 4stars

I don’t think I’d say there are any thoroughly specific themes in this aspect, just ideas.
I think you nailed it. I was a young film critic at the time, and I had the chance to sit down with Natali. It was clear right away that the guy had one great idea, but wouldn't be able to flesh out anything really meaningful in the future.
Complete opposite to someone like Les Bernstien, who I interviewed at the same festival a few years later for his film Night Train - that guy understood the film he made to the very frame, had an amazing knowledge of film history, and lots of fun anecdotes too (had already worked on big films, Batman, Ghostbusters), I could have spent the day with him. Sadly, he went back to visual effects and camerawork and never made another film, but he was a lot more interesting than Natali.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: shadow1 and OzzyFan

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
Decision to Leave / 헤어질 결심 (Park Chan-wook, 2022)

Given the hype for this film, Decision to Leave is the biggest disappointment of TIFF so far. Taking influence from Hitchcock (particularly Vertigo) and noir films, the film follows a detective investigating a mysterious death of a man on a mountain peak who begins to suspect the man’s wife while simultaneously gaining a romantic attraction to her. A great basic set-up for a noir film, the trouble is Park overwrites the hell out of the film and constructed an absolute mess of a plot. The film jumps into the story quickly, throwing pieces of information and plot threads at the viewer almost immediately before I’ve hardly settled into my seat, and then it just goes on and on and on and begins to go in circles. The opposite of a tight script and Park’s technical mastery gets lost behind the film’s unnecessary convolution and longwindedness. Clocking in at a lengthy 138 minutes, you severely feel every minute of this film as it drags on - when it’s a plot that really only deserved 90 minutes in the hands of a better director. While taking nods from film noir greats, this film feels like nothing other than a poor imitation, missing an essential piece to a good noir film: a tight script and a convincing relationship between two doomed characters.

I watched Park’s Lady Vengeance this summer and I basically wrote the same review as the above, I also have the same complaints of Oldboy and The Handmaiden. I’m beginning to think that Park is really just a director that I don’t jive with, despite wanting to like his works more due to his style. A lot of people seem to love Decision to Leave, so if you like his work you’ll probably enjoy it.

Reactions: Zeppo and OzzyFan

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
Theatre of Thought (Werner Herzog, 2022)

I’m always a sucker for Werner Herzog, so when I saw his latest documentary on the TIFF line-up I had no choice but to get tickets. His latest film has him investigating the mysteries of the human mind and what is to come for the future as we unravel its mysteries in the name of progress. Probably one of his most self-aware documentaries as Herzog winks at his meme status at times, clearly playing up for the camera, but there is no doubting his mastery at asking unconventional questions to gain profound and poetic answers. Like me, I don’t know how much Herzog understood some of the scientific language or insights from his interviewees (in one scene he has a funny voiceover that admits as much), but he is unashamed to be curious in his late career. A slight entry to his filmography but it also has some of his best quotes.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Clerks 3

A touching and funny surprise. I was big into Kevin Smith films in the mid-2000s, which is when I saw the original on DVD and the sequel in the theater, but I haven't really followed Kevin Smith at all since college.

It's weird to think that the time gap between the original and Clerks 2 is smaller than the gap between 2 and 3.

When I saw it was coming out, I figured I'd give it a nostalgic whirl even though I wasn't expecting much. But glad I watched it. Plenty of legitimate laugh out loud moments and more than a few sad moments, though with a tad overly campy cringe here and there.

Well worth my time, and a nice send-off to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: OzzyFan

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Decision to Leave / 헤어질 결심 (Park Chan-wook, 2022)

Given the hype for this film, Decision to Leave is the biggest disappointment of TIFF so far. Taking influence from Hitchcock (particularly Vertigo) and noir films, the film follows a detective investigating a mysterious death of a man on a mountain peak who begins to suspect the man’s wife while simultaneously gaining a romantic attraction to her. A great basic set-up for a noir film, the trouble is Park overwrites the hell out of the film and constructed an absolute mess of a plot. The film jumps into the story quickly, throwing pieces of information and plot threads at the viewer almost immediately before I’ve hardly settled into my seat, and then it just goes on and on and on and begins to go in circles. The opposite of a tight script and Park’s technical mastery gets lost behind the film’s unnecessary convolution and longwindedness. Clocking in at a lengthy 138 minutes, you severely feel every minute of this film as it drags on - when it’s a plot that really only deserved 90 minutes in the hands of a better director. While taking nods from film noir greats, this film feels like nothing other than a poor imitation, missing an essential piece to a good noir film: a tight script and a convincing relationship between two doomed characters.

I watched Park’s Lady Vengeance this summer and I basically wrote the same review as the above, I also have the same complaints of Oldboy and The Handmaiden. I’m beginning to think that Park is really just a director that I don’t jive with, despite wanting to like his works more due to his style. A lot of people seem to love Decision to Leave, so if you like his work you’ll probably enjoy it.

Interesting in that we share no common ground whatsoever. I can comprehend your criticisms, but I didn't notice any of the weaknesses you mention. So I will just try to explain my point of view and leave it at that. I actually like the movie even more greatly now that I have had more time to think about it. In order, what I like most about the movie is a} the ambiguity {and the many different ways it is created}; b} the romance; c} the ending; and d} Park's various ways of creating uncertainty. All of these things have to do with the relationship between the detective and the femme fatale because the whole movie revolves around the complexity of their obsession. I think Decision to Leave borrows in different ways from the three movies I alluded to: psychological obsession from Vertigo; danger to the point of self destruction from Body Heat; and swoony romance from Laura. The way that Decision to Leave combines these characteristics is unique. I find Seorae and Haejoon both fascinating complex characters, but I find Seorae the more compelling. Wei Tang mesmerized me with her performance. What sets her apart is how sympathetic a figure she can be seen to be from one perspective or, really, several perspecitives. She is perhaps capable of murder; on one occasion it seems almost certain. But her femme fatale credentials are tempered by kindness, grace and vulnerability. Both characters obsession with one another is believable to me; both are moths drawn to a flame. The complexity of those characters and their relationship is the heart of the movie.

But Park gives the viewer so much to think about--Decision to Leave has one of my favourite endings, because in a beautiful and appropriately ambiguous way it summarizes what a great role uncertainty has played in both these characters' stories. You can read that ending so many different ways; I find it romantic and tragic, but that's just my take. So many things about each character is uncertain in the movie, so many possibilities, so many potential motivations. Yet to me they are not presented in a confusing way but in a brilliantly suggestive manner, the interpretation of which may say more about the viewer than the movie. I don't think there is anything repetitive in the second half--which only deepens the mystery. In the end both characters obsessive love courts their own self-destruction. I don't think you can accomplish a movie of this psychological complexity without a risk-taking and technically brilliant director (the cleverly disorienting editing being one case in point). I didn't think Park wasted a frame. In fact I would compare the atmosphere in this movie to the work of Wong Kar-wai, no stranger himself to dangerous, bittersweet romanticism.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pink Mist

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa

1663532438102.png

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
Interesting in that we share no common ground whatsoever. I can comprehend your criticisms, but I didn't notice any of the weaknesses you mention. So I will just try to explain my point of view and leave it at that. I actually like the movie even more greatly now that I have had more time to think about it. In order, what I like most about the movie is a} the ambiguity {and the many different ways it is created}; b} the romance; c} the ending; and d} Park's various ways of creating uncertainty. All of these things have to do with the relationship between the detective and the femme fatale because the whole movie revolves around the complexity of their obsession. I think Decision to Leave borrows in different ways from the three movies I alluded to: psychological obsession from Vertigo; danger to the point of self destruction from Body Heat; and swoony romance from Laura. The way that Decision to Leave combines these characteristics is unique. I find Seorae and Haejoon both fascinating complex characters, but I find Seorae the more compelling. Wei Tang mesmerized me with her performance. What sets her apart is how sympathetic a figure she can be seen to be from one perspective or, really, several perspecitives. She is perhaps capable of murder; on one occasion it seems almost certain. But her femme fatale credentials are tempered by kindness, grace and vulnerability. Both characters obsession with one another is believable to me; both are moths drawn to a flame. The complexity of those characters and their relationship is the heart of the movie.

But Park gives the viewer so much to think about--Decision to Leave has one of my favourite endings, because in a beautiful and appropriately ambiguous way it summarizes what a great role uncertainty has played in both these characters' stories. You can read that ending so many different ways; I find it romantic and tragic, but that's just my take. So many things about each character is uncertain in the movie, so many possibilities, so many potential motivations. Yet to me they are not presented in a confusing way but in a brilliantly suggestive manner, the interpretation of which may say more about the viewer than the movie. I don't think there is anything repetitive in the second half--which only deepens the mystery. In the end both characters obsessive love courts their own self-destruction. I don't think you can accomplish a movie of this psychological complexity without a risk-taking and technically brilliant director (the cleverly disorienting editing being one case in point). I didn't think Park wasted a frame. In fact I would compare the atmosphere in this movie to the work of Wong Kar-wai, no stranger himself to dangerous, bittersweet romanticism.

I think one of the primary reasons is that I struggled to buy into their relationship - although I know I'm very much in the minority for this. That said both leads were great, Wei Tang in particular who I had only seen prior in Long Day's Journey Into Night, definitely someone to keep an eye on. I agree that Park is technically brilliant, his films are beautifully shot, complex, and creative, they just don't resonate with me for whatever reason.

Reactions: kihei

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022)

On an isolated island off the mainland of Ireland, two friends Pádraic and Colm (Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson) meet everyday at 2pm to head to the local pub for pints. Except one day when Pádraic shows up to meet with Colm he receives the cold shoulder and the news that Colm no longer wants to be friends because Pádraic is dull. Not taking no for an answer, Pádraic escalates things to extreme consequences. Directed by McDonagh who directed In Bruges also starring Farrell and Gleeson, the whole gang is back together for another comedy, recapturing the wit and chemistry that made In Bruges great. McDonagh’s most recent film Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri was fine, but it did not reach the heights of In Bruges – The Banshees of Inisherin comes close and it is certainly his best film since In Bruges. I loved it, extremely funny and well acted by the leads (Barry Keoghan also steals a lot of scenes as the village idiot), and a great commentary on friendship, existentialism, through a metaphor of the Irish Civil War. It’ll be a crowd pleaser when it gets a wide release and I expect a Best Picture Nomination; the best thing I saw at TIFF.

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
R.M.N. (Cristian Mungiu, 2022)

Beware of wild animals. After assaulting his German boss after receiving an xenophobic comment, a migrant worker returns from Germany to his home in a village in Transylvania, Romania. The town is ethnically mixed with a Romanian majority, a Hungarian minority, scatterings of Germans, and a Romani population driven out. When the local corporate bakery hires migrant workers from Sri Lanka ethnic tensions explode as the locals fear immigrants will take over their town. The film is an M.R.I. of the mind and psyche of contemporary Romanian politics (R.M.N. is the Romanian acronym for M.R.I.), and the conflicting forces of neoliberal capitalism, globalization, and far-right nationalism and xenophobia. Cristian Mungiu, who exploded onto the scene in the 2000s with the Cannes winner 4 Months, 3 Weeks, Two Days, leaves no side unscathed in this film (except for the migrant workers who have to put up with xenophobic bullshit) taking aim at the hypocrisy of the Catholic Church, greedy corporate bosses unwilling to pay a livable wage, the small mindedness of xenophobia. He balances these complex forces and tensions extremely well, and it all comes together with an extended town hall scene shot in one take (must be nearly 10 minutes long) where everything boils over and nearly tears the community apart. Mungiu has created a great microcosm of Romanian society and it was the second best thing I saw at TIFF, with the best scene of the festival being the town hall scene. I’m not sure why this film has received has slipped under the radar compared to other directors regular at Cannes premiering films this year but it certainly is one that deserves more attention than it has received.

Reactions: kihei and OzzyFan

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Well, some crap among the more relevant comments here... I'll do it quick.

Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) - Just another one of those forgettable sups movies. I know it's not cool to say so, but I laughed way too hard at the screaming goats. 3.5/10

Lying and Stealing
(Aselton, 2019) - The female lead kept me somewhat "interested" (that girl from the Blurred Line cheesy video), but I fell asleep like 12 times. Quite the borefest - and that "super smart" thief character, an insult to intelligence. 3/10

Reactions: OzzyFan and shadow1

Babe Ruth

Looks wise.. I'm a solid 8.5
Feb 2, 2016
In the Electric Mist (2009)

Watched this one on Prime. It's a buffet of Baby Boomer memes. Movie based on a novel, heavily packed with throwback Southern stereotypes, and Tommy Lee Jones.
Jones is a Louisiana cop, simultaneously working to solve a series of hooker killings, and a racist murder from the past. Not a bad plot, and I remember the book, but.. Just felt really derivative.. seems like Tommy Lee Jones and Morgan Freeman have made dozens of these similar novel-to-movies. It also reminded me of 'A Time to Kill', in that no matter if it's 1996, or the 21st century.. for the purpose of storytelling aimed at Boomers, the South is always frozen in 1950, and eternally looks like In the Heat of the Night.
I rate it a 4 (10 point scale).

Reactions: OzzyFan and shadow1

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
The Room (2003) - 0.5/10
1663601784877.png

Originally written as a play, and then changed into a 540-page unpublished novel, The Room is the debut project for writer, director, producer, and lead actor Tommy Wiseau. It is commonly known as one of the worst films of all time (it's been called the Citizen Kane of bad movies), after viewing it last night I must say that I really can't disagree. Due to it's unique style it's become quite a popular cult classic film, and it's plain to see why.

Everything about this movie, every single directorial/artistic decision, is just wrong. The characters are horribly unrelatable caricatures of humans which don't act anything like real humans. The plot is basically non-existent aside from a very cliché love triangle about a man whose future wife is cheating on him with his best friend.
there's at least a dozen sub-plots which are entirely unrelated to anything. This film also has the strangest and most uncomfortable sex scenes in any cinematic project I've ever seen.

The dialogue reminds me of two AI having a conversation or perhaps an entire script which was fed through Google translate into a foreign language and back a few times. The camera angles are jarring and odd, camera movement is even worse. And the acting is horribly bad, I think you could find better performers at the local high school drama club.

The best part of this movie is finding out that the film's entire 6 Million Dollar budget came entirely out of Wiseau's own pocket and no one has any clue where he got that kind of money. He's a very mysterious person which adds even more allure to this insane film. By all accounts he was an absolute terror to work with, arriving 3-4 hours late daily and berating the cast and crew from day 1. The entire crew of the film was replaced 2 or 3 times as a result. Wiseau also insisted on buying all of the cameras and production tools needed for the film rather than renting, as well as shooting in Hi-Def format as well as 35mm film on the same custom-built rig, which most people attribute to him not understanding the difference between the two.

All in all, this film is wonderfully and amazingly bad..... I can't wait to watch it again and show it to all my friends. The co-star and best friend of Wiseau, Greg Sestero, wrote a memoir of the making of the film which was turned into a movie starring James Franco to much critical success.

This is the best description of the movie I think has probably ever been written.
It is like a movie made by an alien who has never seen a movie, but has had movies thoroughly explained to him. There's not often that a work of film has every creative decision that's made in it on a moment-by-moment basis seemingly be the wrong one. [...] The Room, to me, shatters the distinction between good and bad. Do I think it's a good movie? No. Do I think it's a strong movie that moves me on the level that art usually moves me? Absolutely not. But I can't say it's bad because it's so watchable. It's so fun. It's brought me so much joy. How can something that's bad do those things for me?

Last edited:

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022)

On an isolated island off the mainland of Ireland, two friends Pádraic and Colm (Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson) meet everyday at 2pm to head to the local pub for pints. Except one day when Pádraic shows up to meet with Colm he receives the cold shoulder and the news that Colm no longer wants to be friends because Pádraic is dull. Not taking no for an answer, Pádraic escalates things to extreme consequences. Directed by McDonagh who directed In Bruges also starring Farrell and Gleeson, the whole gang is back together for another comedy, recapturing the wit and chemistry that made In Bruges great. McDonagh’s most recent film Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri was fine, but it did not reach the heights of In Bruges – The Banshees of Inisherin comes close and it is certainly his best film since In Bruges. I loved it, extremely funny and well acted by the leads (Barry Keoghan also steals a lot of scenes as the village idiot), and a great commentary on friendship, existentialism, through a metaphor of the Irish Civil War. It’ll be a crowd pleaser when it gets a wide release and I expect a Best Picture Nomination; the best thing I saw at TIFF.

Awesome review! Super pumped for this!

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Three Thousand Years of Longing (2022) - 6.5/10

Why is Tilda Swintton doing a Northern English accent? It sounds comical like she's taking the whole thing as a joke.

Anyways decent start here but unfortunately it turns into an athology film part-way through and that whole part is the weakest redeemed somewhat by a decent close once the anthology parts end. I feel this film could've benefited more from story and less from unneeded special effects, probably the kind that would've had more dialogue and more of a plot had it been made in the 50s.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
RRR. I don't have a ton of familiarity with this sort of Indian film that melds action and drama and music and dance. (I did hear somewhere this is not Bollywood but rather from a different region of the country and has a different term ...). I'd just sum it up like this: This was a blast. This specific recipe of absurdity and sincerity is a dish that just can't be made in America, certainly not like this. And though part of me feels like it shouldn't work I sure as hell can't deny the result, which most certainly does.
When I was a little kid, i thought all movies should be like this, rip-roaring action and full of surprises. Had a good time with this one.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Martyrs Lane (Platt, 2021) - It's a pretty conventional ghost story, so much so that it's the perfect example I was looking for to introduce teenagers to Torok and Abraham's psychoanalytic theory of the phantom. It pretty much hits all notes, even though the "crypt" - here, the medallion - might be a little cryptic (sorry) compared to its normal hidden room appearance. Not a game changer, not a scary film (one jump scare is pretty well done and would have been amazing if, like in the original The Woman In Black, the director would have dared stay on the jarring shot), but a film smart enough to know what its doing. If someone can point me to the original short version Platt made in 2019, I'd be (almost) eternally grateful. 4.5/10

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
When I was a little kid, i thought all movies should be like this, rip-roaring action and full of surprises. Had a good time with this one.

I still think about scenes from it and smile, particularly the big dancing set piece right in the middle of the movie. Just a really joyous experience.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Tales From the Crypt: Bordello of Blood. If you're queuing this up you'll probably enjoy what you get. A straightforward, smart-alecky, squishy vampire hooker yarn (surely one of the 20 best vampire prostitute movies ever!), but I can't help but feel it would be better if every person in the cast were replaced with someone just a small step more talented (particularly Angie Everhart who is so stiff you feel bad for her). Dennis Miller has his moments, but similar to life itself, wears out his welcome about an hour into the 90 minutes. It's fun enough but I can't help but feel it could have been better. (Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight rules).

Top of the Heap. A Walter Mitty tale, but the dreaming protagonist is very, very (and justifiably) angry. A Black DC cop in the early 70s is caught not just between the two realities that role creates, but a dream/nightmare world where he wants for more but knows it cannot be. Its a powerful message with engaging filmmaking held back only by some less than ideal performances (which happens in low budget indies like this). Will stick with me a while.

Saloum. I'm kinda reluctant to say too much about this because I think just letting it unfurl is part of the fun so I'll just call it an ... African thriller? Mercenaries walk into a mysterious town. Starts fast and moves briskly. Creates mysteries then answers that with more mysteries, but in an interesting, propulsive way. Charismatic performances abound.

A Loyal Demidog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
No surprise Spielberg won. Had a lot of good word of mouth, many saying its his best in recent decades
It is his best in decades. I loved it. Gabriel LaBelle was fantastic. The whole cast was great: Michelle Williams, Judd Hirsch, David Lynch, Paul Dano, and Chloe East (she was hilarious).

It’s likely going to win Best Picture.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad