Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate it | {Insert Appropriate Seasonal Greeting Here}

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
The Child (Voskanian, 1977) – Following Together Forever, TUNI proposed this one to me. It has a pretty good reputation, appearing sometimes on lists of lesser known must-see horror films, so I bit. Well, I don't get it. I guess some viewers might have had a similar relation to this film than I had to Cathy's Curse. It's amateurish for sure, but its craft didn't feel creepy to me, just really really bad (sound is entirely post-dubbed and they can't maintain constant levels, it often has chaotic editing, and half of the night shots are in plain daylight, with no effort whatsoever to create a day-for-night, they just say it's dark). The music ain't totally bad and could have been effective in creating proper atmosphere had it not been weirdly plastered wall-to-wall (they also overuse the smoke machine). I taught I was in for a scary-possessed kid story, but the kid is neither scary nor possessed, she's just friend with the local zombies (yeah, it turns into a zombie film at some point). 2/10

Manhattan Baby
(Fulci, 1982) – I really was in the mood for some possessed kids, so I went back to this weak Fulci entry I didn't remember much. It has the main plot elements of the subgenre, but mixed in an athropo-mystical story that ruins everything. Fulci went for the big optical effects (ri-di-cu-lous) instead of his gory horror trademark (at least, the film ends with some good old fashion face-chewing demonic stuffed birds). Apart from his Gates of Hell trilogy, most of Fulci's horror films are pretty bad, but still redeemed by his crazy signature. Now the crazy is here, and some nice camerawork as usual too, but it's just crazy (most of it makes no freakin' sense, no surprise) and not much fun. Some of its score is recycled from The Beyond which doesn't help taking the film seriously. 2.5/10

Me Time
(Hamburg, 2022) – It is what it is, not good nor funny. It's puzzling me why films that are obviously aiming at being real stupid insist in closing out with some cute and unifying moral lessons. 2/10

If you have any suggestion of good cheap possessed child movie (not the exorcism of x kind), I'm curious.

Reactions: OzzyFan and shadow1

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Predators (2010) - 7/10

A group of well armed mercenaries - including the Japanese Yakuza, Mexican Cartel, and US Special forces - awaken in a mysterious jungle that is the hunting grounds for the alien race, the Predators.

I got the itch to re-watch this one after watching Prey on Friday night, and I enjoyed the heck out of it.

The thing Predators does extremely well is build tension, especially in the first half. The audience knows what enemy is coming, but the characters don't. However, there are other questions to ponder. Who kidnapped and brought the characters there? For what purpose? Why a group of extremely violent people from different regions of the world? And where exactly the heck are they?

These questions add a slow burn tension to the early part of the movie, even with no Predator action until a good 30 minutes in. This opening reminds me of movies like Cube (1997) and Saw (2004).

The cast - which includes Alice Braga, Mahershala Ali, and Walton Goggins - is extremely solid. Adrian Brody stars as detached mercenary Royce. I'm not sure what the consensus on his performance is, but I thought he did a good job as leading action hero. Danny Trejo is also stars in this film - no surprise as it was produced by Robert Rodriguez (Desperado).

The big knock against this movie is it's extremely derivative of the original Predator film. Every movie in the series seems to have this problem to a certain extent, but I think Predators is the worst offender. The plot is extremely similar to the 1987 film, with a group of soldiers fighting the alien species in the jungle. They do add a little variety with the subplot featuring Laurence Fishburne, but that's probably the most boring part of the movie in my opinion.

Personally though, I don't mind this. When Predators came out in 2010, the series was in a bad place. In the 23 years since the original, we had gotten the Predator in suburban LA, Antartica, and rural Colorado. It was time for a return to basics, and the result is a good sequel.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Elvis

The good:

Austin Butler as Elvis. Good job done by the kid. Overall, a fantastic performance. It didn't take long before he convinced me that I was watching a credible depiction of Elvis Presley.

David Wenham as Canadian country artist, Hank Snow. Decent supporting role, but limited when it comes to screen time.

The bad:

Pretty much everything else. This movie is over-produced, over-directed, and over-inflicted on its audience. It is terrible, with the worst directing and editing I've seen in quite some time.

Tom Hanks as Colonel Tom Parker. The Dutch accent Hanks uses is total bullshit. Parker never spoke with an accent like that while in America. How either Hanks, or how Hanks under instruction by director Baz Luhrmann, ever thought a fake-ass accent like that would lend itself to making a credible movie, is beyond me.

Elvis is filled with bombastic quick edit montages, and dream-like sequences which rely heavily on style over substance. Indeed, Elvis is so stylized, that substance is just about non-existent and you need an electron microscope to find it. Character development should be on a milk carton above the caption, "Missing". Elvis uses period-incorrect hard rock electric guitar during live 1950s stage appearances by Elvis, and even uses period-incorrect rap music during 1950s sequences. It has no respect for period-correct facts.

Elvis, the movie, is the cinematic equivalent of throwing a plate of spaghetti against a wall, followed by a bowl of apple strudel, and then blasting it all with #2 goose shot. It's for people who don't know much about Elvis Presley, but who don't mind watching a movie about Elvis and leaving the theatre knowing even less.

If this movie would have died on a toilet before being inflicted on the public, we would all be better off.

Last edited:

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
Watched The Report (2019) - bit of a dull, but effective film about the “Torture Report”, which was a report highlighting the CIA’s illegal use of “EIT’s” (AKA, torture).

Adam Driver carries the thing. Kinda had an issue with how it presented Fienstein and McCain as heroes, but that’s my own political bias entering the equation.

6/10

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Crimes of the Future

by David Cronenberg at his Cronenbergiest.

with Viggo Mortensen, Lea Sedoux, Scott Speedman, Kristen Stewart, and other, very very weird people.

Vig and Lea are Saul Tenser and his girlfriend/partner Caprice, world famous performance artists in a future dystopia where disease, infection and pain have been eliminated by advancements in insectoid nanotech/biotech, everyone's basically a sociopath, and random passers-by are often seen casually slicing each other apart with knives. Human evolution has also hit the fast lane, and certain people are spontaneously growing new, mysterious organs of unknown purpose. Saul is such a man, and the couple's act involves Caprice surgically removing these organs in front of a studio audience using weird, insectoid biotech thingies. Oh yeah, it's also a metaphor for sex. A woman sees her young son sitting under a sink eating a plastic bucket bite by bite. She later smothers him with a pillow, but nobody seems to care very much. The boy's father wants Saul and Caprice to autopsy his son as part of their show to reveal the new organs that make people capable of eating plastic. Or something. Weird, dystopian, Cronenbergian stuff happens.

Not so much a movie where things like a plot occur, but more just a tour through this bizarre future world. Definitely more in the vein of Naked Lunch, eXistenZ, and the lower budget Cronenberg stuff where he's free to just do his thing. Paraphilia, fetishization of technology, bizarre orifices and other familiar Pro-Cro themes all pop up, as does the world's least ergonomic chair, future terrorists (I think...), and the movie never really does explain what crimes really are in this oddball future anyway. Oh well, just leaves more time for creating twisted set pieces to scare the children with.

If you like Cronenberg's weird stuff, you'll like this. And probably be confused.

file.png

Note: not a crime in this future.

Last edited:

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
AVP: Alien vs. Predator (2004) - 5/10

An expedition team exploring an undiscovered pyramid in Antartica is unwittingly caught in the middle of a battle between the Xenomorphs and Yautja.

Further down the Hulu rabbit hole I go...

I saw AvP in theaters when it came out and I remember there being a lot of hype surrounding it. By 2004, both titular characters were extremely popular, and the Alien vs. Predator video game series was half a dozen titles deep. After this latest re-watch, I have the same opinion I did back then: the movie is below-average and disappointing.

The plot is pretty lame. The Alien vs Predator video games take place in outer space, with the protagonist character always being a Colonial Marine (from 1986's Aliens). The first game takes place at a Colonial Marine training facility, which becomes overrun by Aliens before the Predators catch wind of the battle and join in. By comparison, this movie sees a rag-tag group of explorers investigating an underground pyramid that an industrialist wants to be credited with discovering. Apparently, the two varieties of space creature have a battle at this pyramid every 100 years, and it just so happens to be 100 years since the last battle.

Moving on to the characters... they're not good. The main character is Lex, an experienced guide who is apprehensive about this expedition. She's a fine enough lead, but she's all we get. The only other characters of note are Sebastian - an archeologist whose only role is to spoon feed the audience the narrative - and Lance Hendrickson's Bishop Weyland, the head of the Weyland Corporation whose only character trait is that he's terminally ill. Though at least 20 or so people join this expedition, the rest of the characters are just body count fodder.

For fans of the Alien and Predator franchises, the movie doesn't do a good job staying true to the characters. Not to be too much of a nerd, but when someone is attacked by a face hugger, the gestation period is supposed to take several hours. Here, it takes roughly five minutes. Meanwhile, the Predator is supposed to only attack threats, but they go after unarmed civilians several times here. And don't they love the heat...aka not Antartica?

The action is a mixed bag. There are some good Alien vs. Predator moments, especially when they come face to face for the first time (literally). But there are also moments that look incredibly bad, with shaky cam footage and somewhat of a "soap opera effect" (motion interpolation). I recently watched the cable TV series Burn Notice; that show, which often rehearsed fight scenes the morning of, put many of the scenes in this big budget blockbuster to shame.

A couple other random thoughts - what was up with all the characters with guns? The exploration team seemed to be 50% made up of any army with rifles. I could understand bringing a couple of people with firearms, but what the heck were they expecting to run in to? All it did was give the Predator an excuse to wipe them out, seeing as they were "threats". Speaking of which, one of the non-mercenary type characters does bring a small gun, and the filmmakers make a big point of her saying "she'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it." Well, when she does need it, she doesn't use it (D'oh!).

There's is a fun (minor) inside joke in this movie. Paul W.S. Anderson directed this movie, as well as 2002's Resident Evil. In both films, character actor Colin Salmon dies in a similar fashion: diced up by a laser grid in Resident Evil, diced up by a Predator smart net here (though technically he gets stabbed before the net is finished with him).

I just wrote way too much about a movie that isn't that bad, so I'm going to stop now. Long story short, Alien vs. Predator is mediocre and forgettable, when it had potential to be memorable.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Dumb and Dumber (1994) - 4/10
1661789503370.png

This movie aged like a fine dairy product. I get that I'm older now and this this was a different cultural era, but almost 30 years later this movie really doesn't hold up. Still some hilarious quote-able/meme-able moments. My wife had never seen the movie, but she instantly recognized a few scenes just from memes.

The best part of watching the film is knowing how Jim Carrey's career has transpired and then watching back to one of his earliest landmark performances and seeing how great of an actor he was back then. There are a few scenes where he's putting on over-the-top dramatics and he absolutely nails it like he was starring in a AAA Drama. His expertise and dedication to the craft is un-mistakable, even back then.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
MV5BZmRhZjdjMjUtY2ZlMC00YzYyLTg0NTYtYjk4NWMyYzA3ZDdkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzU4ODM5Nw@@._V1_.jpg

Silent Night, Deadly Night 4:Initiation (Yuzna, 1990) – Like the third Halloween film, this sequel has nothing to do with the films it follows. Yuzna was given carte blanche to make a Silent Night sequel, and didn't care for the Santa Claus killer. He called in collaborators Woody Keith and Screaming Mad George, with whom he'd just made Society and Bride of the Re-Animator, and they worked around an already existing script about some feminist witchery cult. I think Yuzna nails it, so I'll let him comment himself: “It’s not a good movie… but I think it’s got more ideas in it than any other movie I made. [laughs]. It’s just so full of layers of ideas that fail, that don’t come through, that work to a certain degree. It’s certainly not a movie I want to show people, but boy, the ambition on that movie was incredible. And if you know anything about the myth of Lilith… everything’s about this kind of radical feminist, at least from a chauvinistic male’s point of view. [laughs] I sure wish it had worked out a lot better, but like I said, boy, were we out of our minds with ideas on that one! [laughs]”. That's it, a feminist movie that's so chauvinistically male that it's borderline misogynistic, with in bonus some gooey Screaming Mad George effects that all horror nerds love. It's really far from Society, but it feels like some of its left-over material. 4.5/10

Samaritan-2022-Movie-Ending-Explained-2-scaled.jpg

Samaritan (Avery, 2022) – I love Stallone, certainly more than I should. There's a parallel universe where this film turned out to be a great superhero movie. Now this... it's boring, dumb, and oh so predictable. Moises Arias manages to do a good job among terrible actors (even Sly is very bad, the kid is the worst), but his tone is still more suitable to Jean-Claude Van Johnson and can't be taken seriously. It's not worth it, but I feel bad giving it less than 3/10.

• Love

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Knightriders. I'd never seen this George Romero flick. It's an outlier in his horror heavy filmography and, I believe, a bit of a labor of love. It feels kinda like that at least. Ed Harris heads a traveling troupe of Ren-fair renactors with the modern twist of riding and jousting on motorcycles as opposed to horses (and a little weed and herbal remedies instead of magic). It's a weird little throw back commune making its way in the modern world. Maybe it just caught me in the right mood but I was genuinely moved by this. It's not subtle, but it's an effective tale of an outsider community at a crossroads -- staying home or growing up, doing it for art or doing it for commerce. Not hard to feel Romero's real life struggles. But it's resonate and relatable. May be too long for some and there's a low budget shagginess to it that might be off putting to some (outside of Harris and a surprisingly effective Tom Savini it's more of a cast of faces than performers), but I found a lot of those aspects to be fitting if not outright charming.

Petey Wheatstraw. Rudy Ray Moore made his name with the blaxploitation classic Dolemite. I was lukewarm on that one despite its status. This one on the other hand ... This was one of his follow ups -- a zany horror-comedy about a man trying to back out of a deal he made with the Devil. Really is the sorta movie that needs to be seen to be believed. Moore is among the best bad actors in movie history. He is in no way good at what he does but he's so excited to be doing it there's a bit of an infectious aspect to it.

Last edited:

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Petey Wheatstraw. Rudy Ray Moore made his name with the blaxploitation classic Dolemite. I was lukewarm on that one despite its status. This one on the other hand ... This was one of his follow ups -- a zany horror-comedy about a man trying to back out of a deal he made with the Devil. Really is the sorta movie that needs to be seen to be believed. Moore is among the best bad actors in movie history. He is in no way good at what he does but he's so excited to be doing it there's a bit of an infectious aspect to it.

I put this one on for bad movie night one time after finding it on a list. We were surprised to find it was legitimately funny (on purpose).

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Leave Her To Heaven (1945) - 7/10

Bland looking noir on the melodrama rather than crime side. I say bland because it looks bland despite being in 40s technicolour. Features Gene Tierney being charming then a bitch and the remaining cast being quite flat but the melodrama gets decent halfway through. Ice-cold bitchiness was done really well in old films. Also features one of the most aggressive and uncomfortable courtroom cross-examination scenes I've seen.

Days of Wine and Roses (1962) - 7/10

Featuring Jack Lemmon struggling as an alcoholic with some pretty actress next to him who also shows good acting chops but is unfortunately cut short due to the film also turning her into an alcoholic in the 2nd half. Surprisingly refreshing film despite the age because dealing with alcoholism as the actual subject matter of the film is not really done now as I guess we decided drinking is cool and have instead promoted drinking culture. The Lost Weekend is a more entertaining film on the same subject matter to be honest but this one is equally powerful though I felt the ending was an unsatisfying cliff-hanger.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Sleepaway-Camp-2-poster-625x1024.jpg

Sleepaway Camp II: Unhappy Campers (1988)
- 5/10

Five years after the original movie, Angela Baker works as a counselor at Camp Arawak; murder ensues.

This is a rare horror movie where the killer is the protagonist. Pamela Springsteen, now in the role of Angela, is great in the role of the murderous camp counselor, who exacts bloody punishment on campers who misbehave. The only other character who can be seen as a type of protagonist would be Renee Estevez's Molly, seemingly the only wholesome camper in the movie.

Being as this is a black comedy, that set up works. The movie is basically a series of vignettes of Angela killing campers and covering it up by saying she sent them home. Though it's fun, there's not a lot to it, and it feels pretty repetitive after the first few murders. The kills, which are basically the focus, are only so-so. You can tell they didn't have a lot of budget to work with; even in a sea of cheap 80's slashers, this one feels cheaper than most.

Fortunately, this movie has the best hairstyles. Everyone has a mullet, the best one belonging to counselor T.C., who's basically low-rent Dave Coulier. The poster is also great; though the girl pictured doesn't appear in the film, surprisingly the chainsaw, Freddy glove, and Jason Mask do.

sleepawaytwo5.jpg

The Plague of the Zombies (1966) - 5/10

In 1860, a doctor and his understudy investigate an epidemic of unexplained deaths in a small village.

I was going to watch Sleepaway Camp III but - as I'm effected by the midwest storms - my internet crapped out about a minute into the movie. Though I try to avoid physical media these days, last year I bought a few Hammer Horror movies that I couldn't find on digital or streaming. With a storm raging outside, the occasion was ripe to check one of them out.

Unfortunately, despite being a big Hammer fan, I found the Plague of the Zombies to be pretty dull.

The movie could've set itself up as a mystery, but they show us right away what's causing the deaths (voodoo rituals) and who's doing it. Most of the run time is padded by really dull exposition scenes before the zombies finally make an appearance, but they aren't on screen long. The ending did not help matters - the motive for killing the villagers and turning them into zombies was so they could be forced to work in the local tin mine. Seriously.

Aside from a questionable plot, one other problem this movie this movie has is the overuse of day-for-night scenes. Hammer films in general have this problem, but this movie is by far the worst offender - both in terms of frequency and quality. A significant amount of the movie is supposed to take place at night, but it's obvious that it's sunny outside.

We don't get Peter Cushing or Christopher Lee here; Andre Morell stars as the senior doctor investigating the deaths. I've liked Morell in the supporting roles I've seen him in and I think he does a good job as a leading man.

Though I didn't enjoy it, The Plague of the Zombies is one of the first zombies movies. White Zombie (1932) came out well before this, but there wasn't much in the 30+ years between that film and this one; Night of the Living Dead came out two years after this movie. Though the zombies here don't eat flesh or brains (they just kind of grab you or hit you with an object), they do have the classic zombie look, including the slow shambling with their arms out.

Overall I was disappointed. Fans seem to like this one but it was one of the worst golden era Hammer movies I've seen. The Plague of the Zombies has a 6.6 on IMDB, so take my review with a grain of salt.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Midsommar (2019) - 7.25/10
1661872824360.png

My wife has been wanting me to watch this one for quite some time now. For some reason she thought I would really dislike it, which I'm not sure why. She usually gets my taste in movies/music right. I enjoyed this one quite a bit. It kind of dragged at time, and the foreshadowing was so heavy that it was pretty much a foregone conclusion what was happening next.

The cinematography was amazing, the music and acting were great, I thought as well. I thought some of the characters were somewhat contrived, particularly William Poulter's character. I found it a bit frustrating how blatantly disrespectful the visitors were it seemed just not believable.

Overall, I enjoyed it pretty well. I'll be interested to see Hereditary now.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
This maybe doesn't technically qualify for this thread, but I'm not sure where else to put it.

I just finished watching the three-part Ken Burns documentary, Hemmingway. It was fantastic, narrated mainly by Peter Coyote and Jeff Daniels.

Hemmingway was definitely a complex man, and with some truly abhorrent character traits. After watching the documentary, I am left convinced that one of the very few positive character traits that Ernest Hemmingway possessed, was that he was a good writer.

Also, I think his reputation as a macho man, for lack of a better term, has propelled his reputation as a writer, and falsely so. While he is responsible for some iconic works, I don't think he's even close to the top of the list of greatest writers. Maybe top 20. It's his reputation as a man's man that drags the opinion that he was a great writer up into the stratosphere.

Ken Burns hits all the marks. He's provided a thorough exposé that will leave you admiring Hemmingway one minute, hating him the next, but ultimately in the end, pitying him.

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
This maybe doesn't technically qualify for this thread, but I'm not sure where else to put it.

I just finished watching the three-part Ken Burns documentary, Hemmingway. It was fantastic, narrated mainly by Peter Coyote and Jeff Daniels.

Hemmingway was definitely a complex man, and with some truly abhorrent character traits. After watching the documentary, I am left convinced that one of the very few positive character traits that Ernest Hemmingway possessed, was that he was a good writer.

Also, I think his reputation as a macho man, for lack of a better term, has propelled his reputation as a writer, and falsely so. While he is responsible for some iconic works, I don't think he's even close to the top of the list of greatest writers. Maybe top 20. It's his reputation as a man's man that drags the opinion that he was a great writer up into the stratosphere.

Ken Burns hits all the marks. He's provided a thorough exposé that will leave you admiring Hemmingway one minute, hating him the next, but ultimately in the end, pitying him.
If you mean greatest writers in history, then I would easily agree with you. If you mean not close to the top 20 American writers, well, maybe I would still agree with you. But I'd sure like to see your top twenty+ list first.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Sleepaway-Camp-2-poster-625x1024.jpg

Sleepaway Camp II: Unhappy Campers (1988)
- 5/10
I don't remember this at all, I've seen it once and thought it was a terrible sequel. But I've been scratching my head all day because of this poster, I was sure that the tagline said something like "Jason and Freddy were too scared to come", so I was searching for images of the old VHS or maybe the French version, but I was just mixing stuff, the tagline was from the Night of the Demons poster (of which I pretty much only remember the breast effect by Steve Johnson... so many terrible films to rewatch...).

• Haha
Reactions: shadow1

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I don't remember this at all, I've seen it once and thought it was a terrible sequel. But I've been scratching my head all day because of this poster, I was sure that the tagline said something like "Jason and Freddy were too scared to come", so I was searching for images of the old VHS or maybe the French version, but I was just mixing stuff, the tagline was from the Night of the Demons poster (of which I pretty much only remember the breast effect by Steve Johnson... so many terrible films to rewatch...).

Yeah it’s much, much different than the original. It feels like a sitcom almost at times.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
If you mean greatest writers in history, then I would easily agree with you. If you mean not close to the top 20 American writers, well, maybe I would still agree with you. But I'd sure like to see your top twenty+ list first.
I'm not going to compile a list of 20 writers. I can't even decide a list of the top three.

Off the top of my head, better writers are/were:

Dickens
Twain
Poe
Fitzgerald
Bradbury
Steinbeck
Atwood
Tolstoy

And there are many, many more, particularly non Americans. And of course, any list like that is subjective and represents favourites more than best.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Not trying to argue with anyone, but the modern dissonance that exists between Hemingway's public persona and the substance of his writing is immense. For a man whose output stops in the early 60s, never have I read a writer where the pedestal on which brave men are put on is equally matched by the grace and honesty of its women.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pink Mist

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
Not trying to argue with anyone, but the modern dissonance that exists between Hemingway's public persona and the substance of his writing is immense. For a man whose output stops in the early 60s, never have I read a writer where the pedestal on which brave men are put on is equally matched by the grace and honesty of its women.

Agreed. Ive read all of his short stories and most of his novels and the one big take away is that his writing on gender relations and sexuality is a lot more nuanced than people give him credit for. Especially the whole brave men trope he's known for is really him writing on the trappings of "toxic masculinity" before toxic masculinity was even a phrase.

He's one of my favourite writers

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Nostalgic binge of late ... (not that I don't often turn back to the 70s/80s/90s for entertainment).

Tango & Cash. An objectively, measurably bad movie. It's total nonsense. It feels like every actor in it has been pulled aside and secretly told they're in a different movie from the rest of the cast (particularly Jack Palance whose speechifying and mannerism and lair are totally Bond villain). All that said ... I still find it every bit as entertaining as I did in my youth. It's not even a so-bad-it's-good dynamic exactly. It's bad BUT good. FIVE STARS.

Willow. Did not have the same reaction upon revisiting Willow. Enjoyed it in my youth, but watching it now, there just wasn't a whole lot that stuck out to me. It's derivative but doesn't do anything fun or interesting with the material other than the odd choice to make every character in the movie (aside from Willow) kinda dumb. The James Horner score is good though.

Heavy Metal. A midnight movie when I was young (thanks Cinemax). It's a cartoon. WITH NUDITY. It's still at least an interesting watch. Five fantasy/scifi segments backed with a big rock music soundtrack (not sure how HEAVY METAL it actually is with Journey and Sammy Hagar). It's horny and juvenile but it does capture a bit of pulp fantasy storytelling. I still dig it though I wouldn't go to the wall defending it.

SepticFish

Jul 14, 2005
Heavy Metal. A midnight movie when I was young (thanks Cinemax). It's a cartoon. WITH NUDITY. It's still at least an interesting watch. Five fantasy/scifi segments backed with a big rock music soundtrack (not sure how HEAVY METAL it actually is with Journey and Sammy Hagar). It's horny and juvenile but it does capture a bit of pulp fantasy storytelling. I still dig it though I wouldn't go to the wall defending it.
I also watched this on Cinemax a few times years back. Never a real favorite, but it did inspire a great South Park episode.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad