Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
You don't add speed unless the skating mechanic is truly terrible. You can improve technique and strength to his legs but overall it's not an easy fix. I think the most important is learning on how to use his skating to his advantage and work on his gap control. I still believe he is too smart to not improve his positioning when facing faster player with a player like him the most important his limiting the impact of his flaws and let him uses his strength to his advantage, that will take time, reps and a lot video coaching. He is ready for the NHL, he needs to compete against the best to improve that part of his game.
There are definitely mechanical fixes he can do. I've said it before but if I'm Montreal I'm giving Barb a blank cheque's to work with him.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I know they won’t ever do it because blah blah veteran, but this kid needs to start on PP1. Matheson is too static and predictable. The PP barely has any movement and is too easy to defend. No one is taking defenders out of position to open up lanes.
He’ll be on PP1 at some point. Will he start there? Maybe not as Matheson is in that seat. But that’s all the more reason to play them both there.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
When you watch thousands of games you can generally predict where a player is going to pass to or move they are going to make or at least attempt to. Suzuki completes the predictable play at a high percentage rate, Matheson would execute at an above average rate, Newhook at an average rate and someone like Armia ( or Eller previously) doesn’t even see or try to execute the predictable play or any play for that matter.

Watching Game 1, Hutson’s vision/IQ are elite and executes the unpredictable play at a high percentage - his linemates were caught off guard many times not expecting the puck that once they get used to him will make him that much more dangerous. He obviously doesn’t have McDavid’s speed/skating but his brain is on the same level.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Dans ze mix
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
When you watch thousands of games you can generally predict where a player is going to pass to or move they are going to make or at least attempt to. Suzuki completes the predictable play at a high percentage rate, Matheson would execute at an above average rate, Newhook at an average rate and someone like Armia ( or Eller previously) doesn’t even see or try to execute the predictable play or any play for that matter.

Watching Game 1, Hutson’s vision/IQ are elite and executes the unpredictable play at a high percentage - his linemates were caught off guard many times not expecting the puck that once they get used to him will make him that much more dangerous. He obviously doesn’t have McDavid’s speed/skating but his brain is on the same level.

I mentioned yesterday how as soon as Hutson has the puck, he's already baiting whatever incoming player, selling a move and then going in an opposite way. He does this constantly, but I didn't want to mention the other player I see often doing this too, McDavid. It's Jordan-esque.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Patently false. You're acting as if armia = Anderson. Cycling/smart,safe plays is a huge part of Armias game. Where are you getting this nonsense?
He's called One Man Armia for a reason, he doesn't pass lol.

It is pretty effective though because nobody can shield the puck on our team like he can

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Patently false. You're acting as if armia = Anderson. Cycling/smart,safe plays is a huge part of Armias game. Where are you getting this nonsense?
Not to derail the Hutson thread but puck possession is great I guess if the game is to keep it out of the oppositions net and off your teammates sticks like during a PK or protecting a lead. Anderson would fall into the well below average category at attempting or executing the predictable play

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Not to derail the Hutson thread but puck possession is great I guess if the game is to keep it out of the oppositions net and off your teammates sticks like during a PK or protecting a lead. Anderson would fall into the well below average category at attempting or executing the predictable play
I'm not arguing that armia has elite vision or IQ but you're rating him far too low

Reactions: jaffy27

Bottomshelf

Sep 16, 2019
This kid is going to be the best thing that'll happen to the Habs power play since Markov was let go, and they f***ing need it.

Years of atrocious power play with this group, years of spamming Weber one timer and forcing it to him, years of doing the same with PK. I can't remember the last time the Habs powerplay had any creativity or vision what so ever. I miss the Markov-Kovalev Powerplay days.
Every time I think of Markov leaving I cringe. Didn’t realize how pivotal he was until he was gone, and I’ll be damned if I make that mistake again

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I know they won’t ever do it because blah blah veteran, but this kid needs to start on PP1. Matheson is too static and predictable. The PP barely has any movement and is too easy to defend. No one is taking defenders out of position to open up lanes.

MSL will have to make the switch at some point from Matheson to Hutson. Only question is how long will it take.

The thing is, even though Matheson had 60 points last year, the power play sucked. Can't stick with something that's bringing the team down and preventing winning when there's an option like Hutson right there.

Pp already sucks this preseason, reporters already getting on MSL about it, and he's already annoyed with the questions. That bodes well for a quicker switch.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
MSL will have to make the switch at some point from Matheson to Hutson. Only question is how long will it take.

The thing is, even though Matheson had 60 points last year, the power play sucked. Can't stick with something that's bringing the team down and preventing winning when there's an option like Hutson right there.

Pp already sucks this preseason, reporters already getting on MSL about it, and he's already annoyed with the questions. That bodes well for a quicker switch.
That’s not gonna happen IMO….only way Hutson starts a PP is if Mats is just finishing a shift….Matheson is a vet that’s seen success at amassing points, they not gonna decrease the value of a vet they probably planning on trading at TDL 2026……..plus he can do the job.

Hutson will soon be the man…..but not yet

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad