Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Did I hear someone say that Mailloux will be better than Subban? :laugh: No? Thank god.

As for Lane, he's one of the reasons I'll be watching the Habs more regularly again this year.
My post was in response to a characterization of Hutson’s stretch lob pass being Markov-like. I said Subban’s first pass ability was superior and that Mailloux’s first pass ability would be better than Subban’s. As for the rest of Mailloux’s comparative defensive game , time will tell.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Dans ze mix
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
My post was in response to a characterization of Hutson’s stretch lob pass being Markov-like. I said Subban’s first pass ability was superior and that Mailloux’s first pass ability would be better than Subban’s. As for the rest of Mailloux’s comparative defensive game , time will tell.
Superior to Markov's? No it wasn't.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Well guys, getting ready for exhibition game 1... will be interesting to see how our lineup performes..
My only concern(s) for this upcoming season are health.

Dach - min 70 games

CC - continue to bulk up, so he can charge/cut to the net.

Laine - needs to play 70 like Dach.

Hutson - no matter how smart the kid is, i don't think I'll ever feel comfortable with him physically.. law of averages. I pray he makes it through the season.

Guhle - 70gp min.

Newhook - 70gp min

If (if) the above can just be healthy, tyen I believe thus lineup will make a run for playoffs this year.. get some experience, rd1 surprise rd2... add demidov next year, and our window officially opens.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
If you are correct that Matheson can keep up his elite skating abilities 'for many years' to come then it would be foolish to trade him. And Hughes is anything but foolish.

As I have often posted, you trade away elite skating at your franchise's peril.

I would respectfully suggest that anyone who believes Hughes and MSL will be trading Matheson, a player who has elite skating ability, plays 25 to 28 minutes each game in all game situations, provides 60+ points production, is a team leader and is local boy who wants to play in the fish bowl that is Montreal, at any time while still playing for a contract that pays him less than $5m per year, is missing the thread.
Although Matheson may keep his skating ability for years, I think a bit part of the reasoning behind trading him is his next contract. There is no way that a D in his 30’s negotiating his last contract, scores 60 plus points and can skate like he can- would take an amount slightly over Ghule. He would be leaving millions ANNUALLY on the table. I can’t see that happening. If Hutson progresses well, THATS when you trade Matheson at top market value imo

Reactions: Andrei79

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Lane is going to impress and I think the calder expectations are entirely reasonable. We've seen other small offensive minded Dmen do okay in MTL, but Lane's IQ/Vision/Agility is on another level. I'm really looking forward to having him come into the fold for many reasons, but specifically he will become such a dangerous threat to opponents that they're bound to over-commit and he's going to find Suzuki/CC/Slaf/Laine/Dach/whoever open and make them pay.

He never ever appears to me like he's trying to do things himself. He is simply waiting for the opening he needs. The ability to control the zone with a plan makes him so important. The points to me are an entirely different benefit.
This kid is SPECIAL. So creative and he has the skills to do what he wants with the puck. There will be a game plan for sure, but there will also be times where Lane does his thing ala Subban.

I see chaos with this guy. In the offensive zone he will see things and do some crazy stuff that opponent won't be able to predict, and it will throw their entire defensive scheme off and result in absolute chaos

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Love Subban, but this just isn’t true imo. He was better someways, but his first pass or passing in general was a step behind Markov’s.

Reactions: lombrek

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Love Subban, but this just isn’t true imo. He was better someways, but his first pass or passing in general was a step behind Markov’s.
I respect your opinion.

But these differences in opinions is what makes sport so compelling and interesting. There is no objective metric that can conclusively determine one player’s superiority in this aspect of the game. Both Subban and Markov were talented defenceman who saw the ice well and had the talent and instincts to make a pass that created offensive chances. I appreciated the velocity, length and accuracy of Subban’s passes and admired the creativeness of Markov’s first passes.

As some here know, I have followed Mailloux’s development closely since he was drafted and wrote extensively about his play both when he played for London and Laval. While critical of Mailloux’s lack of defensive acumen, explosive skating and stamina, I have effusively praised his offensive awareness, shot and laser like passing.

I said it then and I’ll say it now, Maillioux has the best first pass of any current defenceman that I have seen in the Canadiens’ organization and in the event he can overcome the other deficiencies in his game, Mailloux , in the end, will prove to have better first pass than either Subban or Markov. Such is the level of this young defenceman’s talent in this regard.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I respect your opinion.

But these differences in opinions is what makes sport so compelling and interesting. There is no objective metric that can conclusively determine one player’s superiority in this aspect of the game. Both Subban and Markov were talented defenceman who saw the ice well and had the talent and instincts to make a pass that created offensive chances. I appreciated the velocity, length and accuracy of Subban’s passes and admired the creativeness of Markov’s first passes.

As some here know, I have followed Mailloux’s development closely since he was drafted and wrote extensively about his play both when he played for London and Laval. While critical of Mailloux’s lack of defensive acumen, explosive skating and stamina, I have effusively praised his offensive awareness, shot and laser like passing.

I said it then and I’ll say it now, Maillioux has the best first pass of any current defenceman that I have seen in the Canadiens’ organization and in the event he can overcome the other deficiencies in his game, Mailloux , in the end, will prove to have better first pass than either Subban or Markov. Such is the level of this young defenceman’s talent in this regard.
I respect your opinion as well. I am a big supporter of Mailloux, so I hope you are correct,

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Subban's passing vision was great as was his technique. His skill was underrated because he was also physical, also fast, and also a big time shooter... and a big time personality. He was an all-tools D-man for us and a topX d-man in the league.

Was Markov's passing technique better? Maybe. Was he more clever in his positioning? Sure. But between natural athleticism (incl stamina) and Markov's busted knees, Subban was more complete and therefore better. Keep in mind the Norris is one of the best trophies in the NHL because there are no unworthy Norris winners -- Subban earned his Norris.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

Subban's first pass was not better than Markov's.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This kid is SPECIAL. So creative and he has the skills to do what he wants with the puck. There will be a game plan for sure, but there will also be times where Lane does his thing ala Subban.

I see chaos with this guy. In the offensive zone he will see things and do some crazy stuff that opponent won't be able to predict, and it will throw their entire defensive scheme off and result in absolute chaos

What I want to see if how he responds when he makes a critical mistake that leads to an odd man rush or goal against (it's going to happen... question of when, not if). Does he start to play safer or smarter? These kinds of things changes young players energy/momentum but the good players overcome it fast. For example, Look at Slaf's puck management improvement as the season went along last year!

Good news is MSL is not M Therrien. He's going to work with the young player to make the small adjustments required (without pounding assignments down their throat obsessively). This is the difference between the dinosaur coaches vs the new ones like MSL.

I was just about to post something about the hype. Everywhere I read on this site (not just HFHabs), I see Lane Hutson :laugh:

Habs fans have no chill.

When I see stuff like this, I tend to listen to what others outside of the Habs fan base are saying. In this case, there are lots of calm down comments but there are also some hype type comments made as well.

That gives you a good indication of if we are hyping up too much or not. Depends on the person I guess.

I told a friend of mine (Big Leafs fan) that I put $100 on Hutson winning the Calder the other day. His response? He's a gambler like me and he bet some money on Hutson winning the Calder as well. Didn't tell me how much he bet on it though

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I was just about to post something about the hype. Everywhere I read on this site (not just HFHabs), I see Lane Hutson :laugh:

Habs fans have no chill.

It's coming from the organization, it's coming from the players, it's coming from spitting chiclets.

This isn't localized to the Habs fan base with a small media following like in the case of Norlinder.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
What I want to see if how he responds when he makes a critical mistake that leads to an odd man rush or goal against (it's going to happen... question of when, not if). Does he start to play safer or smarter? These kinds of things changes young players energy/momentum but the good players overcome it fast. For example, Look at Slaf's puck management improvement as the season went along last year!

Good news is MSL is not M Therrien. He's going to work with the young player to make the small adjustments required (without pounding assignments down their throat obsessively). This is the difference between the dinosaur coaches vs the new ones like MSL.

When I see stuff like this, I tend to listen to what others outside of the Habs fan base are saying. In this case, there are lots of calm down comments but there are also some hype type comments made as well.

That gives you a good indication of if we are hyping up too much or not. Depends on the person I guess.

I told a friend of mine (Big Leafs fan) that I put $100 on Hutson winning the Calder the other day. His response? He's a gambler like me and he bet some money on Hutson winning the Calder as well. Didn't tell me how much he bet on it though
If we are good with the eventual breakdowns in play we are probably looking at Quinn Hughes type numbers.
Hughes was actually worse in his second full season Covid 2 and we did have a front row seat for most of it.
Interestingly enough Vancouver had a very good season Covid 1 they won their play in and then beat the defending Champs in round 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad