Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Man those clips of him at camp were impressive. He's so slick. Can't remember the last time we had a player with that kind of puck control abilities. Kovy probably. Hopefully he can be the same player at the nhl level.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Interesting to see how many of the same posters who were advocating not to draft Michkov because of size are okay with Hutson's size because his skill is "electric".

Their minds must be very confusing contradictory places.

That doesn't make sense. You can't have too many tiny skill guys and we already have Caufield and Hutson. I doubt we're going to draft any more (unless it was Bedard) and that would include Cole Hutson this coming draft even if it would be cool to have a brother duo.

Reactions: montreal

Grate n Colorful Oz

Here for Hutson's monster thighs
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
As of today......

That's per team, not position. I wasn't asking for the answer myself. It was a rhetorical question. I know the numbers.

I added them myself in a spreadsheet.

Last season, all players
Goalies 74.7 inches for 107 players
Dmen 73.8 for 334 players
Forwards 72.8 for 617 players

Out of the 617 forwards, 277 of them are just 6 feet or less.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
This is why he shouldn't be rushed. Let him bulk.
Msl bringing back the rover position. The old 1-1-0-3 where Reinbacher gets it, gives it to Hutson who skates up through the next 2 zones and maaaaaaybe dishes it off to one of those 3 guys unless Reinbacher was crashing the net at that point.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Interesting to see how many of the same posters who were advocating not to draft Michkov because of size are okay with Hutson's size because his skill is "electric".

Big difference for size between forwards and Dmen though

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
The one thing I don't really hear people talking about, and mostly, I would assume, because it should be a given, But, HIS compete level in ANY type of game or practice is awesome.. He loves to play, he loves being watched and he has a genuine hunger to just be LANE HUTSON, Like M. ALI.. Was always himself...

When comparing him to say J. Roy, Roy elevates his game in certain situations, and is an elite IQ player when he does, but often he takes shifts off for whatever reason, yet still wins personality of the year awards and is loved by teammates and coaches alike.

My two fav prospects in the system right now.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
That's per team, not position. I wasn't asking for the answer myself. It was a rhetorical question. I know the numbers.

I added them myself in a spreadsheet.

Last season, all players
Goalies 74.7 inches for 107 players
Dmen 73.8 for 334 players
Forwards 72.8 for 617 players

Out of the 617 forwards, 277 of them are just 6 feet or less.
Outside of the combine most of these numbers are boosted. Heights are always rounded and inch up, and players always show up heavy at camp before burning off all those summer beers.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
The one thing I don't really hear people talking about, and mostly, I would assume, because it should be a given, But, HIS compete level in ANY type of game or practice is awesome.. He loves to play, he loves being watched and he has a genuine hunger to just be LANE HUTSON, Like M. ALI.. Was always himself...

When comparing him to say J. Roy, Roy elevates his game in certain situations, and is an elite IQ player when he does, but often he takes shifts off for whatever reason, yet still wins personality of the year awards and is loved by teammates and coaches alike.

My two fav prospects in the system right now.
Both Hutson and Roy seem to have that “it” factor. We will see whether that means anything or not lol

Yeah it matters more to have bigger size on D right?
For Hutson it’s more about the motion of the ocean.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Lane practicing with his brothers in the off season!

76806B6B-523B-4284-9032-D60DE1CAA278.jpeg

Reactions: jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
You dont need to be 6'3 to be stronger than Lane Hutson. Im assuming as of today, 99% of the NHL is stronger than Lane and probably 75% overwhelmingly so.
Ya, but 99% of the time, nobody is touching him.

He’ll never see PK but will be our go to guy on PP, 4 on 4 and OT

Last edited:

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Ya, but 99% of the time, nobody is touching him.

He’ll never see PK but will be out go to guy on PP, 4 on 4 and OT
That’s in fact my biggest concern

I don’t think he is enough explosive to not being hit when he goes get dumped puck in the NHL

I do think NHL coach are gonna ask there player to dump the puck on Huston side and they will ask there forward to go hit him the moment he touch the puck

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
You dont need to be 6'3 to be stronger than Lane Hutson. Im assuming as of today, 99% of the NHL is stronger than Lane and probably 75% overwhelmingly so.

Well hopefully Hutson can prove you wrong and be an effective NHL player.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I don’t think he is enough explosive to not being hit when he goes get dumped puck in the NHL

I do think NHL coach are gonna ask there player to dump the puck on Huston side and they will ask there forward to go hit him the moment he touch the puck
Hutson possesses a type of elusiveness that is rare and can’t be taught. I believe it will be translatable. The rest is hard work, refining his skating and putting on weight. Nicholas should be able to get a lot out of him.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

That’s fine, let them beat you then use your IQ to poke it away.

Not saying it won’t have it’s challenges but that scenario may happen 8 times a game.

As you eluded, his foot speed is not up to par hence why I’ve been clamouring for him to stay at BU for 2 more years, more then enough time to remedy the speed issue.

Reactions: jrom and Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That’s fine, let them beat you then use your IQ to poke it away.

Not saying it won’t have it’s challenges but that scenario may happen 8 times a game.

As you eluded, his foot speed is not up to par hence why I’ve been clamouring for him to stay at BU for 2 more years, more then enough time to remedy the speed issue.
He’s such a smart player. Wouldn’t surprise me if he were a quick learner.

• Love
Reactions: jaffy27

Grate n Colorful Oz

Here for Hutson's monster thighs
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Outside of the combine most of these numbers are boosted. Heights are always rounded and inch up, and players always show up heavy at camp before burning off all those summer beers.

And you think that changes my point, how?

Those would be averaged out across the board thus maintaining about the same differences between forwards, dmen and goalies, leaving forward as the smallest position.

Also, I never realized measures are rounded out. :sarcasm: :facepalm: Thank you captain obvious.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Just make him into a playmaking winger already. Why not? He will adapt, he's smart enough.

Then let him quarterback the PP on the blueline.
If he doesn't pan out as a D then this must be done. Cannot let that talent go to waste.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Nobody advocated for not drafting Michkov, people were just telling you guys who would rather blow up the earth than pass on Michkov the reasons why the Habs were likely to pass on Michkov based on the information at the combine.

I don't know why there's a group here dedicated to holding a grudge against anyone who took a more rational approach.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Nobody advocated for not drafting Michkov, people were just telling you guys who would rather blow up the earth than pass on Michkov the reasons why the Habs were likely to pass on Michkov based on the information at the combine.

I don't know why there's a group here dedicated to holding a grudge against anyone who took a more rational approach.
It’s a bit presumptuous in my view to judge whether the approach taken was more rational than not. To a lot of those who believe that Michkov’s elite scoring talents couldn’t be passed up, that was the rational approach to adopt.

To Michkov proponents, it appears that the Habs selected on the basis of need. We’ll never really know the full story behind the scenes.

The part you are 100% correct about IMHO is how ludicrous it is for the few who choose to hold a grudge. As fellow Habs fans, it does nothing to advance meaningful discussions. I’d much rather defer to how Reinbacher and Michkov will perform at the NHL level and at that point, there will at least be more compelling data to back up one’s claims.

Oops just realized this is a Hutson thread so back to the thread subject.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad