Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kaladin

Nov 5, 2017
It’s a bit presumptuous in my view to judge whether the approach taken was more rational than not. To a lot of those who believe that Michkov’s elite scoring talents couldn’t be passed up, that was the rational approach to adopt.

To Michkov proponents, it appears that the Habs selected on the basis of need. We’ll never really know the full story behind the scenes.

The part you are 100% correct about IMHO is how ludicrous it is for the few who choose to hold a grudge. As fellow Habs fans, it does nothing to advance meaningful discussions. I’d much rather defer to how Reinbacher and Michkov will perform at the NHL level and at that point, there will at least be more compelling data to back up one’s claims.

Oops just realized this is a Hutson thread so back to the thread subject.
Agreed. For most of us it was an entirely irrational approach that the guy you're quoting and others took when it came to this discussion.

As for your point about "holding a grudge" it's a bit dramatic. So your position is we can't even bring this up until Michkov is in the NHL 3 years from now? Talk about censoring conversations. The draft isn't even a month old, the generational f*** up by Hughes is still fresh in my mind so apologies if I bring it up here and there.

Besides I think it's entirely relevant to bring up the inconsistency some held about Michkov's size vs their enthusiasm for Hutson. It has implications on this team's future roster and draft strategy. If they continue to choose need over superior talent we're not going anywhere fast.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Agreed. For most of us it was an entirely irrational approach that the guy you're quoting and others took when it came to this discussion.

As for your point about "holding a grudge" it's a bit dramatic. So your position is we can't even bring this up until Michkov is in the NHL 3 years from now? Talk about censoring conversations. The draft isn't even a month old, the generational f*** up by Hughes is still fresh in my mind so apologies if I bring it up here and there.

Besides I think it's entirely relevant to bring up the inconsistency some held about Michkov's size vs their enthusiasm for Hutson. It has implications on this team's future roster and draft strategy. If they continue to choose need over superior talent we're not going anywhere fast.
You’re misreading my position. I’m the one who’s choosing to defer judgment to when both players have played a significant sample size of games. You do what you want, I couldn’t care less. It’s none of my business. If you look at the wording, I’m clearly writing in the first person expressing what I’d rather do, for myself. So much for your bogus « censorship » theory.

As for the « holding a grudge expression », if you had read the post I was replying to, it came from there. I was merely disposing of the notion as not being reasonable. I took @WeThreeKings ‘ assertion that he saw people holding a grudge so please don’t impute words to me that didn’t originate from me. If you feel that the expression is dramatic, then take it up with the poster who originally used the qualifier.

Finally, bring up Hughes or Michkov wherever you like, it’s your prerogative. I’m just a guest here and I only speak for myself.

Last edited:

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Man those clips of him at camp were impressive. He's so slick. Can't remember the last time we had a player with that kind of puck control abilities. Kovy probably. Hopefully he can be the same player at the nhl level.
He won't be. now, If he hits his potential with very little injury trouble he can have a few very good seasons especially offensivly

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
He won't be. now, If he hits his potential with very little injury trouble he can have a few very good seasons especially offensivly
Hutson's been hearing this since he was a small child probably...

That his head fakes and constant change of direction will never work at the next level but here we are at the NCAA level and it's still working pretty well.

Now he just needs to break ankles on one more level! :laugh:

He's approaching the boss.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He is not your typical NHL dman. I think he will be just fine. His defensive game is to play offensive. There aren't many others like that but if you are good enough, it works. The other team can't score if they don't have the puck, and he always has the puck. Can they get it off him? Maybe, but also maybe not.
This is key and will determine his success. Subban for example wasn’t terrible defensively (despite some high profile gaffes) but he wasn’t the classic defensive defenseman either. But what made him great defensively was his ability to quickly transition out of his own zone into offense. And once he brought the puck into the opposing zone, he was really good at keeping it there.

If Hutson can do that, we can easily put up with some defensive lapses. And RB should be able to help in that front as well.

Reactions: Redux91

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

How is it an irrational approach to indicate all the rumblings coming from the Canadiens organization point to a likely scenario where they would not take Michkov?

Once again you fail to grasp a very simple concept. I, and basically no one, on this forum, advocated to NOT draft Michkov. I, and basically no one, on this forum, said we wouldn't draft Michkov ourselves because of his height.

What we did was forward along information from articles, podcasts, draft guides coming from people connected to the Habs, or at the combine, amongst scouts and executives as to what they were hearing about the Canadiens willingness to consider Michkov at their selection.

How does me saying, based on what I've heard and seen, they are unlikely to draft Michkov because one element of that equation is his size up front, equate to ME having any reservations of his size?

Put the pitchfork down and take a deep breath. You are the one being irrational by pinning the distribution of information on the Michkov decision to a personal opinion by board members and that's just completely wrong.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
How is it an irrational approach to indicate all the rumblings coming from the Canadiens organization point to a likely scenario where they would not take Michkov?

Once again you fail to grasp a very simple concept. I, and basically no one, on this forum, advocated to NOT draft Michkov. I, and basically no one, on this forum, said we wouldn't draft Michkov ourselves because of his height.

What we did was forward along information from articles, podcasts, draft guides coming from people connected to the Habs, or at the combine, amongst scouts and executives as to what they were hearing about the Canadiens willingness to consider Michkov at their selection.

How does me saying, based on what I've heard and seen, they are unlikely to draft Michkov because one element of that equation is his size up front, equate to ME having any reservations of his size?

Put the pitchfork down and take a deep breath. You are the one being irrational by pinning the distribution of information on the Michkov decision to a personal opinion by board members and that's just completely wrong.
7rsoc5.jpg

Did you miss this? :laugh:

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
We had lived with Victor Mete for some time, because he could carry the puck in straight lines and pass it moderately well. He had no creativity in his game.

I'm fairly sure Hutson can be a contributor as long as we are going to use him to his strengths and not expect him to be our main guy on the blueline. He should be well insulated with Guhle and Reinbacher on the roster, so a Sam Girard kind of impact is probably what we should hope for.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hutson's been hearing this since he was a small child probably...

That his head fakes and constant change of direction will never work at the next level but here we are at the NCAA level and it's still working pretty well.

Now he just needs to break ankles on one more level! :laugh:

He's approaching the boss.

Caufield went through this as well but kept on producing each level. There is a high level of confidence/energy with Hutson and it does remind me of Caufield. Several of us were high on Caufield but with a little part of us wondering how his size would affect him. I think it might end up similar with Hutson.

This is certainly not Mete type hype.

(Mod)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Archijerej

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Caufield went through this as well but kept on producing each level. There is a high level of confidence/energy with Hutson and it does remind me of Caufield. Several of us were high on Caufield but with a little part of us wondering how his size would affect him. I think it might end up similar with Hutson.

This is certainly not Mete type hype.
Small snipers are easier to see succeed as they just usually finish the play with a shot. They're not really exposing themselves to hits all the time.

When you're a defenceman it's quite different...

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Small snipers are easier to see succeed as they just usually finish the play with a shot. They're not really exposing themselves to hits all the time.

A guy like Sam Girard is handling it while having a similar frame. I think it’s fair to say Hutson is ahead of him skillwise.

I agree that you have to be super skilled to succeed as a 5’9 D, but Hutson is just that

Reactions: Redux91 and Belial

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

No doubt other teams will target Hutson in our own zone. His ability to escape pressure is very good but there will be other areas like clearing the front of the net and also puck scrums along the walls down low. It's just reality.

Depends on how much he grows and gains strength. His weight and compete level is more important than his height. If he requires sheltering, he can be on the 3rd pairing but on both PP units. That limits the other teams coach from targeting him in the match-up game.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I doubt everyone around here saw this video so please watch it!

No doubt he is engaged and works on his positioning. But remember, the pro game and best players in the world are different than NCAA.

Today, he is just as good in his own end as Mete was when he started with us IMO. The area you wonder about is in critical playoff situations and if there is a mistake made due to more hits/physicality. That has proven in the past to change players game and creates hesitation.

This is where his hockey IQ kicks in. Is he smart enough to figure out how to overcome it mentality. One thing he has going for him like Caufield had... is they have been going through this their entire career. Not the same with Slaf who was never outmatched physically up until his season last year. That can be a shock to the confidence to some. Hockey IQ is a huge part of development.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
No doubt he is engaged and works on his positioning. But remember, the pro game and best players in the world are different than NCAA.

Today, he is just as good in his own end as Mete was when he started with us IMO. The area you wonder about is in critical playoff situations and if there is a mistake made due to more hits/physicality. That has proven in the past to change players game and creates hesitation.

This is where his hockey IQ kicks in. Is he smart enough to figure out how to overcome it mentality. One thing he has going for him like Caufield had... is they have been going through this their entire career. Not the same with Slaf who was never outmatched physically up until his season last year. That can be a shock to the confidence to some.
Oh he will get you on your back in a second, don't you worry!)))

Kaladin

Nov 5, 2017

I think what it boils down to from my point of view is that you and others *understood* the team's POV that was seemingly coming through articles, podcasts, draft guides and so on. You empathized with it. Which implies you and others felt those reservations vis a vis Michkov that the Habs management had were reasonable to some extent.

Is that fair to say?

My frustration with you and others on this issue is that *I think* those reservations were BS. *I think* the habs management feeling the way they did about Michkov is worrisome about the future direction of this franchise. That's why I have my pitchfork raised up. Maybe down the line when this trend solidifies in other decisions that are baffling others will raise their pitchforks too. Also, plenty of folk didn't want Michkov and preferred Leonard for example. Not everyone was walking that fine line you were where you allegedly preferred Michkov but had made peace with the fact the Habs wouldn't pick him.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
Probably why Philly didnt take him, probably why they overlooked Caufield too….

With the Michkov selection, it would seem that this organization has finally come to their senses!!
They hired the smallest GM in the NHL. There’s never been such a small GM, how is he gonna stack up to all these 6’2 250 pounds beasts at the negotiation table?

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I think what it boils down to from my point of view is that you and others *understood* the team's POV that was seemingly coming through articles, podcasts, draft guides and so on. You empathized with it. Which implies you and others felt those reservations vis a vis Michkov that the Habs management had were reasonable to some extent.

Is that fair to say?

My frustration with you and others on this issue is that *I think* those reservations were BS. *I think* the habs management feeling the way they did about Michkov is worrisome about the future direction of this franchise. That's why I have my pitchfork raised up. Maybe down the line when this trend solidifies in other decisions that are baffling others will raise their pitchforks too. Also, plenty of folk didn't want Michkov and preferred Leonard for example. Not everyone was walking that fine line you were where you allegedly preferred Michkov but had made peace with the fact the Habs wouldn't pick him.
If we’re to look at Michkov strictly from a talent stand point, he was easily the BPA after Conor Bedard regardless of his size. Why is it Anaheim, Columbus, and San Jose passed up on him before us? This isn’t as simple as the Habs had the option of taking best player available or position of need. Teams smelt something was off and went another route. People need to stop crying about it.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Is that fair to say?

Well, yes, I'd say those concerns are somewhat reasonable and that those concerns, en masse, were shared with enough teams that he fell all the way to 7. If Michkov was this generational, can't miss offensive superstar, that some of you had him pegged as, there would have been a team stepping up earlier to take him, or a team leaving themselves bereft of assets to make the move up to get him.

Philadelphia felt confident enough to stay at 7, meaning they were risking losing the prospect if MTL/ARI were bluffing, or that someone else offered enough to move up.

I don't think the pick of Reinbacher and passing on Michkov is this sweeping statement on what the Canadiens will do going forward. I think it is a statement on what they felt of the prospect himself.

I just listened to Arpon's latest podcast and he was asked about Demidov being mocked to Montreal and then the comments about Hughes saying they didn't like they couldn't see Michkov in person. Arpon's sense that, that was a small part of the scene, that they had reservations about the player based on what they saw on video (and Arpon said he did the exercise himself for his Michkov draft profile and saw it too), and without being able to see him in person, they couldn't lessen those fears. Namely, what is he doing for 5-10 seconds when he's not in the video while his teamis hemmed in defensively (as one example).

When Arpon was talking to a high ranking Canadiens scout, that scout told him to go watch Ivan Demidov. That this was a kid they saw on tape from Russia that they really liked and will be a fantastic player.

The Canadiens just didn't particularly love -this- offensive prospect. Disagree with that at your leisure, but it isn't some signal that they hate skill and won't draft skill. They wanted Smith, they couldn't get him. I don't think Smith fits the profile of some defensively responsible, safe draft pick.

Ranger12

Jul 29, 2021
I'm going to get flamed for this, but what the heck. If, unfortunately, it becomes evident that Lane's size is holding him back as a defenseman in the NHL, could he become elite as a forward? I mean what is the gap between Lane and let's say a Zach Benson for example?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad