Prospect Info: Lane Hutson Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Team USA coaches gave him more ice time than Lane. i think that iws worth owsmething, and not evidence of a conspiracy against Hutson.

I think the insult is that Matthew Kniews in the top 3, and that is an insult not tjust to Hutson butabout 6 other guys as well.
That's not worth anything. Hughes is a year older and had already played in a previous wjc. He obviously was going to get more ice time. Hutson will have that role and ice time in the next wjc.

Destopcorner

Apr 29, 2018
That's not worth anything. Hughes is a year older and had already played in a previous wjc. He obviously was going to get more ice time. Hutson will have that role and ice time in the next wjc.
This. Cant compare WJC icetime between the freshman and last year top 5 pick. Hugues also have big holes in his defensive game.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Luke Hughes has one tiny point less than Lane Hutson, and a more complete game. Why shouldn't he be in the conversation? Cooley as well, and Snuggerud. And Farrell might be better than almost all of them, with the 2nd most ppg in the NCAA while also playing very solidly both ways and killing penalties.
Lane had 5 more goals.For a D, that's a difference. But the biggest thing was that it was Lane Hutson's first year and Hughes second year of college.
Check out most of the good players stats the first year compared to the second. The gap is massive.

Hutson turned around that Boston team basically by himself. Not much changed the year before but Hutson coming into the program and dominated.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Still insane that the guy isn't a finalist for the Hobey Baker. All great to take into consideration outside the rink but there's a freakin limit to disregard the on-ice performance....

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I don't care about Hockey Backer. This guy will be a very very good NHL defenseman, that the only thing matters!

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

No surprise here.

Hopefully this entire summer is dedicated to learning how to backskate and gaining some lower body strength as I think these two glaring weaknesses are intertwined.

If he can make significant improvements in these areas he will absolutely terrorize Hockey East next season.

I don't care about Hockey Backer. This guy will be a very very good NHL defenseman, that the only thing matters!

???????

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
No surprise here.

Hopefully this entire summer is dedicated to learning how to backskate and gaining some lower body strength as I think these two glaring weaknesses are intertwined.

If he can make significant improvements in these areas he will absolutely terrorize Hockey East next season.

???????
I'm sure you're an expert on back-skating, but where are the two glaring weaknesses intertwined.

Lots of twigs I knew were excellent back-skaters.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
No surprise here.

???????
Hobey baker

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I'm sure you're an expert on back-skating, but where are the two glaring weaknesses intertwined.

Lots of twigs I knew were excellent back-skaters.

I don't know any players with tiny quads and little butts who are excellent back skaters. His lower body is really skinny and backskating requires a player to be in close to a 90 degrees seated position which is all quads and ass. I would assume that nobody actually believes that he can't backskate because he hasn't tried to work on it.

I think there is another part to the problem and that is that he is so uber competitive he never wanted to take the step back in order to take two steps forward. He has cheated on trying to build speed straight ahead and pivot into a backwards glide. This will get him in trouble at the next level as it did at the WJC and throughout the season where he is entirely vulnerable to quit cuts from attackers shortly after his pivot or when he chooses not to pivot. He was able to do this as a kid and get away with it but now is the time to fix the problem.

I suspect that he is working on it and is better than he is showing but may not have the confidence to use it in game situations yet. He has fallen/stumbled numerous times during the season while pivoting or attempting a back crossover so there is evidence that he is trying to address the problem.

Ultimately it will be a non issue as he will certainly learn to do it eventually but the sooner he masters it and incorporates it into his game the sooner we can seriously begin talking about him in the NHL.

Hobey baker

Was that a typo or an attempt at humour that I may have missed?

Reactions: Sam de Mtl

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Not to get too far ahead of ourselves, but his style of play would pair well with someone with Malakhov type attributes like Mailloux. I'd like to see those two together on a power play.
On the PP fine

At 5 vs 5, that pair would be a disaster. If I’m the coach of the other team, I’m putting my top guns against that pair

Reactions: kyne

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
On the PP fine

At 5 vs 5, that pair would be a disaster. If I’m the coach of the other team, I’m putting my top guns against that pair
Xhekaj, Kovacevic, or Engstrom may be good partners on a 3rd pair long term.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Xhekaj, Kovacevic, or Engstrom may be good partners on a 3rd pair long term.
Do you have Hutson on the third pair on D? This is a guy that is pretty much top 4 or burst. We can't play on the bottom with Xhekaj or Kovacevic. He need to play on pp and on the first pair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad