Lane Hutson Burgeoning Star Watch

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The thing about Quinn Hughes is that when he didn't have the puck, he was always a fairly structured player. His lack of size/physicality led to defensive issues when he got to the NHL, but he wasn't a guy who cheated for offense and he actually doesn't even really jump into the rush all that much. He's a great outlet passer and has an ability to hold the puck forever in the offensive zone to open up seams but he isn't and never really was a 'freelancer' marching to his own drum at the expense of defensive breakdowns.

Hutson, to me, is a freelancer. He's a great prospect who is going to score a lot of points but what he does away from the puck is fundamentally different from how Hughes plays the game (which has allowed him to develop into an elite 1D despite his size) and trying to equate them will probably prove to be a dangerous game.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
what's interesting about this list is that only one player appears on it twice 🤔

having one guy listed (even 2x) with a bad performance wouldn't concern me. but half the list concerning my d-corps should ring the alarm bell. the heavily sheltered xhekaj isn't even identified as part of the problem.

just a few games into the season it's already clear that montreal won't win many games with that defense. so if winning was the goal, gm and coaches should be facing questions. else habs fans can look forward to another high lottery pick.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Your first sentence is pretty much the point I'm making. If Hutson's main issue is his defensive side, then he should be and needs to be worried about his defensive side. So it doesn't really make sense saying he needs to have a partner that will make him not worry about his defensive side.

Having a good partner such as Methot for Karlsson is nice to have if the goal is to win games and maximize your players' talents and on ice results. But I think Montreal is more focused on developing their players rather than winning games.

As a Canucks fan, I've read a lot about Hutson in college last season because Willander was on the team. A lot of the reports mentioned concerns about Hutson's game and hyper-rover style of play translating to the NHL. So far, it sounds like Hutson needs to adjust his game if he wants to stick in the NHL and I don't see how having a babysitter for him is mandatory in achieving that.

Hughes improved defensively not because he was babysat by Tanev or Schenn but because he made a conscious effort to work on his game every year. Schenn and Tanev were definitely helpful in covering Hughes' weaknesses but that mainly impacted on ice results rather than Hughes' actual development.

Obviously making too many mistakes that end up in the back of the net could negatively effect Hutson's confidence where he might feel overwhelmed and start playing too scared. But again, that's something coaching and Hutson's own perseverance can help with. Having a babysitter isn't mandatory for that either.
i think success and confidence play a huge role in development. setting someone up for failure can also staunch the development.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I love when people bring up +- on here lol

People LOVE using the stat when trying to hype up a player if it’s a good +- but then those same people will say +- is a useless stat when a player has a bad +-

It’s always entertaining as hell seeing posters use +- to fit their argument one way or the other

….Anyways, sooner or later I strongly feel Hutson will either need a few games sitting in the press box or some time in the AHL… TSN overdrive was actually talking about him today saying how much of a train wreck he was VS the Rangers last night and should spend some time in the AHL to get better defensively but said that Habs fans would come unglued if that were to happen

Alot of fans always hate the idea of certain players being sent to the AHL… there is never anything wrong with high end young players spending time in the AHL… and I guarantee down the road, players will admit they needed that time in the minors to become better NHL players. A lot of fans love having the bragging rights of their prospects going straight to the show and never setting foot in the AHL… but a lot of prospects need that time. Even if it’s just a half a season
does montreal have better alternatives?

guhle and matheson are their only d's who would play in the d rotation of any team in the league.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
He’s not killing the clubs chances of winning as no player could save this team but I agree that there’s no point keeping him up and letting him get cooked every night
are there any alternatives in the organization? i see lindstrom and other prospects which are most likely not ready for the nhl.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Everytime someone bring +/- stats, I remember Mark Fraser in 2012/13 who was the leader on the entire maple leaf roster. This is the only usefull things I need to know about that garbage stats.....
Do you also think scoring 50 goals is a meaningless stat because Cheechoo once did it?

• Haha
Reactions: bud12

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
are there any alternatives in the organization? i see lindstrom and other prospects which are most likely not ready for the nhl.
That’s half the problem, there’s nobody more ready

They need to make a trade at this point

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad