Confirmed Signing with Link: [LAK] F Quinton Byfield re-signs with the Kings (5 years, $6.25M AAV)

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Came to say importantly, Kopitar away from Byfield almost always had Kempe and at least one other top player--Byfield away from Kopitar got all the anchors/liabilities on the roster and still performed.
Besides Byfield, Kopitar and Kempe played the most this past season with Laferriere, who's the opposite of a top player. Also, their production with him was slightly higher than with Byfield, while Byfield's production was lower away from them.
Byfield has been the engine of his lines for the last two years, and pretending Kopitar hasn't had a noticeable drop-off isn't honest.
Kopitar hasn't had a noticeable drop off. 67pts, 74pts and 70pts in the last 3 years is pretty consistent, and his Corsi has hovered around 53%, which is his average over the last 10 seasons. He may be a little slower, but it hasn't really held him back yet.

Reactions: go4hockey

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Good deal for the Kings imo, he's going to out produce that contract.

But hey he gets good security too after a few years where he was struggling to establish himself.

So good for Byfield & great for the Kings.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
GF% is the ratio of GF/60 to GA/60, so it's production compared to defense. Kopitar's GF/60 (i.e. production) was virtually unchanged after Byfield was moved off of his line, as I said. His GA/60 increased considerably, however, which is why his GF% dropped. I attribute that to Byfield's spot being taken by Laferriere, who isn't nearly as good and had some of the worst defensive metrics on the team even before being moved to the top line and facing top competition. Meanwhile, I suspect that Byfield's GA/60 went down and his SCF% and HDCF% went up when he was moved down to a lower line because he was suddenly facing weaker opponents. I think that all of this points to Byfield being much better than Laferriere, not to Byfield carrying Kopitar.
Production is subject to strange variances in smaller sample sizes, which is why looking at the entire body of work (control of play over the entire ice) when Byfield was on the ice with that line vs. when he was on the ice on a different line is much more telling. If you can't spot how much better Byfield made Kopitar play this year when Byfield was on the ice, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnjm22

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I find this to be a weird deal, especially from QB's perspective. I think he could have had more, whether it was a bridge or an 8 year deal. If he wanted long term, then you have to wonder why he didnt get it - if he wanted short term to get a chance at a bigger contract later, then you have to wonder at the term; if he wanted stability, then you have to wonder about the term.

I feel like this contract is either a "lets just split down the middle" kind of thing or if there is consideration that LA could be in a rebuild in 5 years in QB's camp.

I feel LA won this deal now at the expense of maybe losing the player later. Is there any kind of NMC involved? It would suck if LA cant move QB in 4 years if he wants to leave.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
I'm not convinced it was the right move for LA. Yes it's good AAV, but they should have locked him in for 8y IMO. Not only he will become UFA after 5y, but if they keep him around, they'll probably have to pay him twice that amount. I'm might be one of the few, but i think this deal was a mistake for not going with a 8y deal with one of your future star player.

Reactions: go4hockey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Production is subject to strange variances in smaller sample sizes, which is why looking at the entire body of work (control of play over the entire ice) when Byfield was on the ice with that line vs. when he was on the ice on a different line is much more telling. If you can't spot how much better Byfield made Kopitar play this year when Byfield was on the ice, I'm not sure what to tell you.
And Byfield was more productive when he was with Kopitar. Unless you would characterize that as Kopitar carrying Byfield, you shouldn't characterize the fact that Kopitar also benefitted as him being carried by Byfield. Both complemented each other.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
And Byfield was more productive when he was with Kopitar. Unless you would characterize that as Kopitar carrying Byfield, you shouldn't characterize the fact that Kopitar also benefitted as him being carried by Byfield. Both complemented each other.
You wouldn't say stuff like that if you would really watch Kopitar.

It's like totally disregarding all the little helpers in an old folks home, washing the people, removing their bed pans and lift them up out of the bed.
Now you are looking at the guy and saying, look at him, he is 93 and still walking in the park in front of the home, what a champ

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I guess the advanced stats left out the part where he was controllable for 3(?)more years. I love the modified no trade in the last year. Blake is one tough negotiator,
The last year, is the first year Byfield qualifies for any type of NTC/NMC

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
The last year, is the first year Byfield qualifies for any type of NTC/NMC
I had that in there - 10 team no trade.

If they had given a contract out like this and bought more UFA years I would get it. I just don't. I wonder if the plan is to leave him on the wing long term or move him to center.

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
If he tests free agency and continues on the path he's on while avoiding injuries, Byfield will be one of the biggest UFA of the decade. It's rare to see prized players hit UFA so young

He will probably get a 100 millions contract when he hits UFA. I sure hope for him that he does. Quite cheap for the Kings in the meantime, they have to use that saved cap to make something happen in the next years

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He's 21 that had his first proper full season as a former 1st round pick that is getting market value for his production this past season knowing he's going to be better with his trajectory. He's making his value based on last season's stats, he's going to get better which makes it a "in two years" part seem odd when he's already a steal given his pedigree and potential and how he's now realizing it.

Lafreniere also drafted that same year, finally hit that 50+ mark in year 4 as a regular in the NHL. For example, if NYR signed Lafreniere before last season when he hit 39pts to a similar contract, he'd be a steal by the end of last season. That's all.

I think that’s basically the same premise the poster was suggesting though just from a different angle. You’re saying it’s a steal now based on reasonable projection. They’re saying it’ll be a steal after he shows that projection. I think “in a year or two” means it will be considered a steal after he outperforms the deal over the next year or two, not that it’ll take him that long to start outperforming it.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I think that’s basically the same premise the poster was suggesting though just from a different angle. You’re saying it’s a steal now based on reasonable projection. They’re saying it’ll be a steal after he shows that projection. I think “in a year or two” means it will be considered a steal after he outperforms the deal over the next year or two, not that it’ll take him that long to start outperforming it.
We're fans of the player. Let's be happy he's succeeding with usage that isn't designed to shit all over him to be some 2way twat that needs to be a grinder first that is the usual methodology by coaches to ease in players that show immense offensive potential but need time to grow.

Blake has f***ed up a lot of things, a lot. But this one he nailed.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Doubt the Kings reach final 4 in the NHL in those 5 years but you never know. The 5 year term is basically holding the AAV at a good spot and giving room to add more pieces.

If he walks after those 5 years, it will hurt. If he extends, won't mean anything.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If he tests free agency and continues on the path he's on while avoiding injuries, Byfield will be one of the biggest UFA of the decade. It's rare to see prized players hit UFA so young

He will probably get a 100 millions contract when he hits UFA. I sure hope for him that he does. Quite cheap for the Kings in the meantime, they have to use that saved cap to make something happen in the next years
If that happens, Kings will have a a couple of real good years there. To earn a 14m contract over 7 years that would mean he's most likely putting up numbers in the 100 point range.

Reactions: TesseractPrice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad