Confirmed Signing with Link: [LAK] F Quinton Byfield re-signs with the Kings (5 years, $6.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
Reactions: Maurice of Orange

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
True, but 5 years at that price is pretty well worth it IMO. He was arguably a 6.5M-7.0M+ player last year and is only going to keep getting better.

Yeah, it walks him to UFA, but it's not like they won't have plenty of time to try to re-sign him or trade him when the time comes. And while a longer term contract would have been welcome, it's likely the Kings window is only another 3 years or so. They will probably be looking to kickstart a rebuild at that point, and could move Byfield for a King's ransom at that price point with 1-2 years left on his deal. Byfield on a 2 yr $6.25M contract probably gets you a better return at the deadline than Byfield with 3-5 years left at $8M+ (which is probably what his agent was asking on a 8 year deal).

Plus its easier to retain on a shorter deal like that. Imagine the kind of trade deadline haul the Kings could get trading a $3.2M Byfield with 2 years left on his deal??

He doesn't have to improve at all to be worth that AAV. He's a monster.
I really like it for the player. Way more than the slafkovsky deal.

I am a big fan of Byfield. Longer development trajectory, he probably peaks right when the deal expires. Smart by him and his agent. Seems fair for now.

And yeah the comment you also replied to. Classic stuff from an uninformed poster. On the back of Kopitar. Lol tune into a game.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
He'll need 11 mill AAV on his next deal to make this better for him than a 8x8, which I think he'll earn easily as a 27 year old UFA

Reactions: wintersej

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Solid contract but I thought going max length would have been best for the team, wouldn't it ?

This seems to favour the player as I believe he will be UFA at 26. Not 100% sure though.

I’m sure he would have asked for a f*** ton more to cover those UFA years, though. It makes it a great contract for the 5 years, but then you have to PAY. Means LA really should be making a push to compete in the next 5 years.

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
Really smart by the Kings. Obviously the ideal situation would be to sign him for a little more AAV and 8 years instead of 5, but LA knows that Kopitar and Doughty will be retired by the time Byfield needs another contract. They should have plenty of cap space.
Yes LA should have enough cap room to re-sign him even above market value.

But the question for me is, what will LA look like post-Kopitar/Doughty?
Will Byfield want to sign there if the team is at the start/middle of a rebuild?
In my opinion, LA's current prospect pool is middle-of-the-pack, and I think the big club will fight for a WC spot for 3 years max.
At least they'll never have trouble attracting UFA talent.

Anyway, the first thing I thought when I saw that the deal walks him to UFA in 5 years, was that this guy is setting up to have an easy way out. That would negate any happiness I would have with this excellent AAV.

Reactions: MCB

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I do think its win & win for both parties. I do think that we start to see Cap raising fast in coming years and players start to do more 2-4 year contract in they prime to maxime they career earnings.

Is it allowed to do contract where you salary rise everytime when cap rise? Example if you sign 5 year contract where you ask 10% from team salary cap, so when salary cup rise your salary rise too? Example last season your salary would have been 8,35M and next season 8,8M and so on?
No.

Kopitar's year was on the back of Byfield, not the other way around...
Byfield's inability to effectively play center at the NHL level would indicate that he needed a guy doing the center duties more than Kopitar needed a competent winger.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
No.

Byfield's inability to effectively play center at the NHL level would indicate that he needed a guy doing the center duties more than Kopitar needed a competent winger.
He played wing because Kopitar, Danault, and Dubois were all stapled in as centers not because he wasn't able to.

Like you're not gonna move two of the most high level defensive centers in the league to the wing and they didn't sign Dubois to that massive deal to play wing.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
He played wing because Kopitar, Danault, and Dubois were all stapled in as centers not because he wasn't able to.

Like you're not gonna move two of the most high level defensive centers in the league to the wing and they didn't sign Dubois to that massive deal to play wing.
Why not if you've got a burgeoning star center?

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
No.

You underestimate the Kings' ability to draft 100 centers and move them all to wing while signing older centers.

It's not an inability, it's an organizational cockblock, one they finally removed by blake shooting himself in the dick so many times there's hardly any left.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Yes 1 year of RFA and we have seen that is a powerful tool as a player can ask for a QO or realistically a large deal basically as a UFA.

Tkachuk
PLD
HRONEK

Are a few examples how they used 1 year RFA as a tool.
If Matthew Tkachuk signed a 5 year 8 mill AAV deal instead of a 3 year 7 mill deal he'd have probably gotten a 12+ mill contract this offseason (see Panarin, Pasta) and ended up with total earnings of 136 mill over 13 years.

With the way he played it he will make 97 mill over 11 years, and need a 19.5 mill x 2 contract on his next deal to catch up

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
If Matthew Tkachuk signed a 5 year 8 mill AAV deal instead of a 3 year 7 mill deal he'd have probably gotten a 12+ mill contract this offseason (see Panarin, Pasta) and ended up with total earnings of 136 mill over 13 years.

With the way he played it he will make 97 mill over 11 years, and need a 19.5 mill x 2 contract on his next deal to catch up
I'm a big believer that he signed a too low of a contract and did so because of Florida taxes.

Similar to Reinharts deal. So I personally do not like that comparison.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Will he be RFA at the conclusion of this? Good deal if so, feel like he's a 7/8 million dollar player going into next season
Players hit UFA either after 7 accrued NHL seasons or with 4 accrued NHL seasons and turn 27 by July 1.
Byfield played 40 games for LA in 21/22 and some games in their A club. But, to accrue a season, you need to be on the 23 man roster for over half the season, so unless he was healthy scratched or injured during his AHL stint, he accrued the 21/22 season towards free agency. Thus, he completed 3 years towards UFA on his ELC. Thus, this 5 year deal gets him 8 years in total.

Now, with his Aug birthday, had he not accrued that season in 21/22, then he would still be a UFA as he would have completed 7 years on after this next contract. But, LA would then not have done 5 years. Either 4 or less to maintain his rights for 1 more year as a RFA or 6 years to buy that 1 year of UFA which they did on this contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad