Confirmed Signing with Link: [LAK] F Quinton Byfield re-signs with the Kings (5 years, $6.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
The deal is great but I don't like why the Kings brass is doing it.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Could be a steal of a contract in a couple of years if he continues to improve.
The risk is well worth it.

brucioloco

Oct 27, 2022
I guess he refused to sign for 8? I would have given him 7.25 for 8 instead of this one. Takes 2 to tango I know
Quickly did some loose math on this. He’s currently at roughly 7% of the cap space. If it continues to rise $4.5 million a year 7% will be about $7.75 million of the cap at the end of this contract. Couple that with him being an UFA at a prime age and I’m willing to bet his next contract will be massive, and I mean $9-10 million massive taking him into his mid thirties. This is all based on him meeting the expectations of course. He might turn into an overpayment too.

Reactions: HabsQC

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Could be a steal of a contract in a couple of years if he continues to improve.
The risk is well worth it.
I don't think there is much risk for LA just limited reward. At best they probably get 2-3 years of Byfield on a steal of a contract.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I guess he refused to sign for 8? I would have given him 7.25 for 8 instead of this one. Takes 2 to tango I know
Well, let's break down those numbers. $6.25 mill for 5 years is $31.25 million. You are offering $7.25 mill for 8 years, thus a total of $58 mill. Thus, the extra 3 years you have valued at $26.75 mill. Thus, under $9 mill per each of those 3 extra ufa years.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Well, let's break down those numbers. $6.25 mill for 5 years is $31.25 million. You are offering $7.25 mill for 8 years, thus a total of $58 mill. Thus, the extra 3 years you have valued at $26.75 mill. Thus, under $9 mill per each of those 3 extra ufa years.
Right. So if Byfield is a 10 m player the certainty of the 8 year deal costs him ~3m total. But he's getting paid more upfront so its hardly a factor.

Unless you think hes a 12-13 m player in 5 years?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Right. So if Byfield is a 10 m player the certainty of the 8 year deal costs him ~3m total. But he's getting paid more upfront so its hardly a factor.

Unless you think hes a 12-13 m player in 5 years?
I think 5/6 year term for Byfield made sense. Best to set yourself up for the 3rd contract at age 27 or 28 vs at age 30 (I'm using the age his draft class will all be not his actual age as of July 1).

He may age well or he may not if he signed all the way until he turns 30. But, hitting ufa at 27 is a pretty good spot to get a good 3rd contract. 5 years locks him in at $31.25 mill, thus about $35 mill in career earnings by then.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I do believe he accrued the 21/22 season towards free agency, so he has 3 years and needs 4 more. Thus, this does buy 1 ufa age.
Either way, it puts them at his mercy when the contract is a year away. Especially if his trajectory continues upwards.

For all the stupid things Dorion did, signing Stutzle and Sanderson to max contracts was stellar.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
I don't think there is much risk for LA just limited reward. At best they probably get 2-3 years of Byfield on a steal of a contract.
Thats exactly what I meant. lol
Forgive my ESL ass, maybe I wasnt concise enough earlier.

The risk is still there,
its just incredibly small that It doesnt hurt. (thats what she said.)

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
As nice as the AAV is, I wouldn't love this deal if I was a Kings fan. They are walking him to UFA in 5 years right before he turns 27, makes no sense. It's not like that bit of savings will help them compete anytime soon.

Well, it's the perfect rob blake deal really

on paper/in a vacuum it looks like a tidy, saavy deal, saving the team some cap up front, giving player and team flexibility for an increasing cap down the road

in reality it's him bailing himself out of his own poor decisions by compounding them into the future because he screwed the pooch on Petersen and PLD and because we're suffering the bonus overages of a f***in 35+ goalie who isn't even with the org anymore for starters.

You could probably trick Rob Blake into refinancing his car at a higher rate repeatedly because it spits out 1000 bucks each time. Who cares about tomorrow?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Either way, it puts them at his mercy when the contract is a year away. Especially if his trajectory continues upwards.

For all the stupid things Dorion did, signing Stutzle and Sanderson to max contracts was stellar.
Ottawa is also not a free agent destination, so they should go max term if the opportunity presents itself. Sanderson, at $8 mill, very unlikely he ever becomes a "deal" for them, but for the Sens, not really about getting a "deal", but more about securing the player long term at the market rate.

Now, they just need to actually achieve something as Chabot is already 4 years into his max term deal. And each key player a year behind in Tkachuck, Norris, Stutzle.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Ottawa is also not a free agent destination, so they should go max term if the opportunity presents itself. Sanderson, at $8 mill, very unlikely he ever becomes a "deal" for them, but for the Sens, not really about getting a "deal", but more about securing the player long term at the market rate.

Now, they just need to actually achieve something as Chabot is already 4 years into his max term deal. And each key player a year behind in Tkachuck, Norris, Stutzle.
This is not the thread for it, but Sanderson is absolutely a deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad