Confirmed Signing with Link: [LAK] F Quinton Byfield re-signs with the Kings (5 years, $6.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
Ugh I really don't like the term here either. The AAV is fantastic but like others it does strike me as a move by someone who isn't beholden to a longer term vision and when your GM acts like this it never spells good news (alongside with every other warning sign Blake showed).

I could get the idea that in three or four years they would be able to move him for a lot... But also not really? Byfield then will be 25 and very likely one of the league's best players, the chances you win any trade where you net futures aren't that high. Would be way better off to have a longer term deal at a friendly cap hit as you move towards another competitive window. If you fail by the end of an eight years deal, then sure, it's time to trade him. That's about four years after the projection this deal forces you into.

And it's not like the Kings are in an amazing spot now where saving the money means they compete at the upper echelon of the league. Because they really don't. So saving two or three millions now is nice but realistically, is it significant for the makeup of this current team? Just seems very shortsighted.

Reactions: Kingsfan1

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Terrible post? One plays the most valuable position in hockey.

Byfield is, and will be the better hockey player and he’s getting paid LESS. Get a map, you’re lost.
Byfield has played the most of his NHL career at wing,
Possibly he moves to centre, down the road.

yikes, good deal but he's UFA after. should have been 4 or 8x
He’s UFA after 4 years as well, deal buys one UFA year.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Did he play center regularly last year?
He hasnt really played center in a couple seasons because hes helped Kopitar on the wing. Everything the organization does is to benefit Kopitar and Doughty.
The last time he had a real center role was the beginning of 2 seasons ago when he centered Vilardi and Iafallo. They were the teams best line but injuries tore them apart too soon.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Kopitar's year was on the back of Byfield, not the other way around...
Kopitar's on-ice production this year was virtually the same with and without Byfield. Meanwhile, Byfield's dropped 0.62 GF/60 when he was away from Kopitar. Also, Kopitar's overall production was very similar to the previous two years, when he played with Byfield a lot less, while Byfield had his breakout season when he played most of it with Kopitar.

All of this is not to say that Byfield's year was "on the back of" Kopitar (though playing with the best player on the team will help any kid), just that it's untrue to suggest that Kopitar's year was on the back of Byfield. I get that fans are eager to believe that their young stud has already surpassed their best player, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: go4hockey

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Kopitar's on-ice production this year was virtually the same with and without Byfield. Meanwhile, Byfield's dropped 0.62 GF/60 when he was away from Kopitar. Also, overall, Kopitar's production was very similar to the previous two years, in which he played with Byfield a lot less, while Byfield had his breakout season when he played most of it with Kopitar.

All of this is not to say that Byfield's year was "on the back of" Kopitar (though playing with the best player on the team will help any kid), just that it's untrue (and silly, to be honest) to suggest that Kopitar's year was on the back of Byfield. I get that fans are eager to believe that their young stud has already surpassed their best player, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.
They both benefitted from each other really. Byfield did pretty much all the dirty work in the corners and it allowed Kopitar to find himself open space down the middle instead of having to work from the wall so much. Byfield set him up for some beautiful goals.
And Byfields two way game from playing next to Kopitar has become impeccable. He is very defensively sound for his age now and didnt have to be thrust into a 200 foot 1c role where he would have been drowning as a minus player.

Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
They both benefitted from each other really. Byfield did pretty much all the dirty work in the corners and it allowed Kopitar to find himself open space down the middle instead of having to work from the wall so much. Byfield set him up for some beautiful goals.
And Byfields two way game from playing next to Kopitar has become impeccable. He is very defensively sound for his age now and didnt have to be thrust into a 200 foot 1c role where he would have been drowning as a minus player.
I agree. They play well together and having much younger linemates helps Kopitar as he gets older. The same is true with Kempe, though I've never heard fans argue that Kopitar's production was on the back of Kempe. There's just an understanding that they benefit each other.

Reactions: Schmooley

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I think this will be a steal in a year or two. Good deal for L.A
In a year or two? It's a steal now. Byfield having to prove more than others seems comical to me. I mean I know why personally but yeah that's a weird take to think his production wasn't already in that range and that's knowing he has more to show.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
In a year or two? It's a steal now. Byfield having to prove more than others seems comical to me. I mean I know why personally but yeah that's a weird take to think his production wasn't already in that range and that's knowing he has more to show.

If his production is “in that range”, how is it a steal now? 6 million for 55 points is pretty on the nose. He’d have to improve to be a steal. I don’t see how someone saying that he’ll be a steal in year or two is something comical.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
If his production is “in that range”, how is it a steal now? 6 million for 55 points is pretty on the nose. He’d have to improve to be a steal. I don’t see how someone saying that he’ll be a steal in year or two is something comical.
He's 21 that had his first proper full season as a former 1st round pick that is getting market value for his production this past season knowing he's going to be better with his trajectory. He's making his value based on last season's stats, he's going to get better which makes it a "in two years" part seem odd when he's already a steal given his pedigree and potential and how he's now realizing it.

Lafreniere also drafted that same year, finally hit that 50+ mark in year 4 as a regular in the NHL. For example, if NYR signed Lafreniere before last season when he hit 39pts to a similar contract, he'd be a steal by the end of last season. That's all.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Kopitar's on-ice production this year was virtually the same with and without Byfield. Meanwhile, Byfield's dropped 0.62 GF/60 when he was away from Kopitar. Also, Kopitar's overall production was very similar to the previous two years, when he played with Byfield a lot less, while Byfield had his breakout season when he played most of it with Kopitar.

All of this is not to say that Byfield's year was "on the back of" Kopitar (though playing with the best player on the team will help any kid), just that it's untrue (and a bit silly, to be honest) to suggest that Kopitar's year was on the back of Byfield. I get that fans are eager to believe that their young stud has already surpassed their best player, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.
Wasn't Byfield broken up from Kopitar to try to save PLD? I wouldn't say he carried Kopitar or anything, but it makes sense his stats dipped when he was connected with a lesser center - especially PLD and tasked to save the line's defense and generate more offense. He was often the best player on the line any given night after the move.

Reactions: Osprey

KingsCourt

Aug 15, 2005
Why are people worried about five years down the road, we'll deal with that when comes, we don't even know if he can continue the progression...I hope we have to pay him 12M, that means he's become a star. If he doesn't sign in summer of '28 you trade him. Ya would have been better with 8 yr deal, but would have been a lot more than 6.25M, more along the 8.5-9ish? (if not more if rising cap). Then we are really playing poker.

Could not have signed earlier since this was his first real season.

I'm not losing sleep, I hope to see the continued progression ..i'm excited!

Reactions: MoneyManny

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Feels very much like a paying for potential kind of contract - But he should get there, he got a lot better over the season I feel.

Wonder what this means for Raymond

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
He's 21 that had his first proper full season as a former 1st round pick that is getting market value for his production this past season knowing he's going to be better with his trajectory. He's making his value based on last season's stats, he's going to get better which makes it a "in two years" part seem odd when he's already a steal given his pedigree and potential and how he's now realizing it.

Lafreniere also drafted that same year, finally hit that 50+ mark in year 4 as a regular in the NHL. For example, if NYR signed Lafreniere before last season when he hit 39pts to a similar contract, he'd be a steal by the end of last season. That's all.
He’s not a steal now, he’s paid appropriately now, it’s likely to become a steal.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Wasn't Byfield broken up from Kopitar to try to save PLD? I wouldn't say he carried Kopitar or anything, but it makes sense his stats dipped when he was connected with a lesser center - especially PLD and tasked to save the line's defense and generate more offense. He was often the best player on the line any given night after the move.
Yeah, and if he were the reason for Kopitar's year, not only should've Kopitar's production dropped after he was moved to another line, but that new line should've received a boost. Instead, Dubois' on-ice production was actually less with Byfield than without him. This isn't an indictment of Byfield, just evidence that he's not good enough yet to put anyone on his back. He can certainly be the best player on his line, but that doesn't always translate to production.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup

All of this is not to say that Byfield's year was "on the back of" Kopitar (though playing with the best player on the team will help any kid), just that it's untrue (and a bit silly, to be honest) to suggest that Kopitar's year was on the back of Byfield. I get that fans are eager to believe that their young stud has already surpassed their best player, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.
In 669:31 minutes, Kopitar and Kempe with Byfield had a GF rate of 64.29%, an xGF rate of 53.08%, a SCF rate of 54.13%, and a HDCF rate of 55.88%.

In 262:30 minutes, Kopitar and Kempe without Byfield had a GF rate of 50%, an xGF rate of 50.21%, a SCF rate of 53.2%, and a HDCF rate of 48.45%.

That is a substantial difference.

For fun, in 253:09 minutes, Byfield without Kopitar and Kempe had a GF rate of 66.67%, an xGF rate of 63.59%, a SCF rate of 61.90%, and a HDCF rate of 69.23%.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
In 669:31 minutes, Kopitar and Kempe with Byfield had a GF rate of 64.29%, an xGF rate of 53.08%, a SCF rate of 54.13%, and a HDCF rate of 55.88%.

In 262:30 minutes, Kopitar and Kempe without Byfield had a GF rate of 50%, an xGF rate of 50.21%, a SCF rate of 53.2%, and a HDCF rate of 48.45%.

For fun, in 253:09 minutes, Byfield without Kopitar and Kempe had a GF rate of 66.67%, an xGF rate of 63.59%, a SCF rate of 61.90%, and a HDCF rate of 69.23%.
GF% is the ratio of GF/60 to GA/60, so it's production compared to defense. Kopitar's GF/60 (i.e. production) was virtually unchanged after Byfield was moved off of his line, as I said. His GA/60 increased considerably, however, which is why his GF% dropped. I attribute that to Byfield's spot being taken by Laferriere, who isn't nearly as good and had some of the worst defensive metrics on the team even before being moved to the top line and facing top competition. Meanwhile, I suspect that Byfield's GA/60 went down and his SCF% and HDCF% went up when he was moved down to a lower line because he was suddenly facing weaker opponents. I think that all of this points to Byfield being much better than Laferriere, not to Byfield carrying Kopitar.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Came to say importantly, Kopitar away from Byfield almost always had Kempe and at least one other top player--Byfield away from Kopitar got all the anchors/liabilities on the roster and still performed.

Byfield has been the engine of his lines for the last two years, and pretending Kopitar hasn't had a noticeable drop-off isn't honest.

Reactions: Schmooley

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Guys, Dudley likes the term. We good.
– QB

byfield-made-it-official-with-his-dog-dudley-v0-hyyb149oztcd1.jpeg

Reactions: KapG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad