Confirmed Trade: [LAK/CBJ] Joonas Korpisalo and Vladislav Gavrikov for Jonathan Quick, 2023 1st Round Pick (Cond) & 2024 3rd Round Pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
I wonder if Quick told Blake he didn’t intend to retire at the end of the year when his contract runs out. He’s competitive to a fault. Maybe Blake knew he’d be in another jersey next year regardless. At least that’s the only way I could justify this bomb thrown into team chemistry.
That doesn’t make any sense. He wouldn’t be in another team’s jersey because he’s been a below replacement level player this year. No one is going to sign him just because he had an awesome playoffs a decade ago. Honestly I find it extremely stupid. I could understand trading a franchise icon if they were getting a true game changer, but Gavrikov is a #3/4 and Korpisalo is a replacement level goaltender.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
So you're an Avs fan, and your team just let their cup winning goalie walk. And you're lecturing about how cup winning players are different and must be kept until they want to leave no matter how they play? Quick has been way worse than Kuemper. Quick might just not deserve a job. You've been exposed as a hypocrite.
Last time I’m replying to you because you’re clearly picking and choosing which parts of my posts you want to actually pay attention to.

Quick absolutely carried LA to 2 Stanley Cups. If he wasn’t there, they don’t have those banners. Period.

Kuemper won a cup with one of the worst Sv% in Stanley cup champion history. They could have won with Francouz at the level they were playing and Frankie won several games for them.

Kuemper wanted to sign another big deal and seeing as how he wasn’t as integral to the cup win, we signed our TDL rentals over him. Quick is likely retiring in a couple months. If he’s intending on signing another huge deal I think that would be a serious shock.

These two situations are incredibly different. Please stop acting like you’ve caught me with my pants down. You’re making yourself look ridiculous.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What were Blake's options here?

Whether you think Gavrikov and Korpisalo were the right acquisitions or not, cap needed to go back to fit them in and the Kings desperately needed goalie help due to Quick crapping the bed this year.

Should they have gave up extra picks to have some team take on Walker and have the Jackets retain money?

If so should they then have kept Quick as the 3rd goalie so he could stay in LA, even if it meant having to only go with 1 spare at forward and defense to keep him in the press box? Would it have been any less a slap in the face or any less disrespectful to send him to the AHL to end his career?

Not a lot of great options here. Ultimately this situation is Quick's fault for completely failing to provide NHL quality goaltending this year. Feel like if he weren't a Kings legend he would have been dumped or sent down a lot earlier in the year.

The issue is this is the culmination of a lot of poor decisions by Blake.

This is the trading of the future for temporary bandaids on wounds that were inflicted by Blake himself and that will leave SEVERAL holes in just a few months. The goaltending pipeline and lack of LHD have been an issue for almost two years now. The issues that were the issues last playoffs were the issues again ALL YEAR this year.

...and he still found a way to give up one of our most valuable assets while still having prospect placement issues WRT waiver eligibility, contract limits, and excessive RHDs/Cs such that there is no slot for them and absolutely no LHDs or Gs.

This is a desperation move forced by his inaction since late 2021 if not sooner.

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
Geez Quick has a .876 and 3.5 GAA across 31 games this year. That is atrocious.

Yeah it's brutal to be traded in the last year of your contract when you're a legend, but when you're that pathetic it's almost necessary. The kings would be first in the west if he played even mediocre this year.

Reactions: Fripp

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
LA didn't waste time on Cal, and moved to try and correct the problem. Hmmm.

Oilersyouseeingthisacho .... oh my .... sorry

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Geez Quick has a .876 and 3.5 GAA across 31 games this year. That is atrocious.

Yeah it's brutal to be traded in the last year of your contract when you're a legend, but when you're that pathetic it's almost necessary. The kings would be first in the west if he played even mediocre this year.
Yeah, I don't see what's wrong here. It's not like he was decent. He's horrible. Why should the Kings sacrifice a good young goalie like Copley instead. They shouldn't be apologizing for trying to better their team.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
That doesn’t make any sense. He wouldn’t be in another team’s jersey because he’s been a below replacement level player this year. No one is going to sign him just because he had an awesome playoffs a decade ago. Honestly I find it extremely stupid. I could understand trading a franchise icon if they were getting a true game changer, but Gavrikov is a #3/4 and Korpisalo is a replacement level goaltender.
Sadly the Kings wouldn't get a game changer in a trade involving Quick unless he was a throw in on a deal involving multiple picks and prospects. They needed a 3/4 LHD and a goalie that can play better than Quick because they can't ride Copley the rest of the way. Emotionally as a Kings fan it sucks to see Quick traded away in this fashion but take the emotions out as it's a deal that helps the Kings be a better team down the stretch.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
This is going to be unpopular view but as a neutral who just poked around capfriendly for a bit...

Before the trade, the Kings really had no long term option in net. That was supposed to be Cal but Cal has been terrible and he's in the minors. And Kings also have no cap space next year. Quick was coming off the books either way, but Mikey Anderson and Trevor Moore are getting raises, that basically takes care of the money that Quick was making.

So -- no goalie, no cap space. A legitimate top tier ELC goalie would work but good luck getting Dostal or Levi or any of those guys. And even if you got someone like that, maybe they wouldn't be ready for full time NHL starter duty anyway (see Spencer Knight).

Joonas isn't the worst idea. Kings are good defensively, you just need someone to be average, that should be good enough. Seems like Copley was good enough when at first, he's slowly been getting worse though so maybe not the answer just yet.

Joonas is 28, that's not too old. He's only making 1.3mil this year, that's all. If he ends up playing ok for you, you can probably give him a 2 or 3 year deal at a 3m cap hit or something idk. And, in terms of goalie quality he's probably the best available right now, good thing Kings got him otherwise maybe he goes to Buffalo and Kings have to go into the summer / immediate future with Copley as your default #1.

But yeah, Kings are good enough defensively imo you only need an average goalie -- Korpi is that, and he's relatively cheap. And all you spent to get him and Gavrikov was a first rounder. And if you didn't make this deal I'd think Korpi gets dealt to Buffalo later this week.

So to me, sentiment aside, seems like a good trade for the Kings. Kings need a goalie for the next few years, maybe it's Korpi and maybe it isn't but at least this way you can audition him and see for yourself. Either way, not sure there are many better goalies who are available now or will be in the summer, esp not at the low cap hit the Kings need

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Let's play a game! Which one is Cal Petersen and which one is Joonas Korpisalo?

Career:

petersen-korpisalo.png

Past two seasons:

petersen-korpisalo-2.png

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
The only way this makes sense to me is if Blake asked Quick if he's retiring after this season and Quick said no. He's done, there's no doubt about it. It just seems really tactless to trade him like this. The Kings just finished a 5 game road trip. No last game? No opportunity for fans to say farewell? Just... a leaked trade at midnight on the plane back home?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Let's play a game! Which one is Cal Petersen and which one is Joonas Korpisalo?

Career:

View attachment 659924

Past two seasons:

View attachment 659925

So you're just going to ignore Korpisalo has a .913 SV% on a complete bottom feeder?

I mean I'm not convinced he's a long-term starting goalie but you can't pretend he hasn't been good this year.

Reactions: Viqsi, Fro and Deas

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Imagine they did that with trevor Linden? I'm sure nucks fan would approve.
Trevor Linden was stripped of the captaincy, absolutely eviscerated and humiliated in front of his teammates by Mike Keenan, and unceremoniously shipped off to Long Island.

Wanna ask more what ifs about things that literally did happen? :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Byfield

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad