Confirmed Trade: [LAK/CBJ] Joonas Korpisalo and Vladislav Gavrikov for Jonathan Quick, 2023 1st Round Pick (Cond) & 2024 3rd Round Pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cianide

Under New Management
Jun 11, 2022
That's a good trade from the Kings perspective. I wonder what the + is.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Other team fans want their gms to do anything to make the playoffs or to give them a better chance to make it far in the playoffs.

Meanwhile some LA fans don't want that. They want to go to the playoffs with a worse team.

Kings should give up and tank for the season then and let another team and fanbase that actually want playoff hockey to get in.

Quick I'm guessing got most of the money owed to him this season already. He could have went "hey I want to retire a LA king" and done so weeks ago. He didn't though and got traded to make LA better.

If Quick still thinks he's a Starter in this league still then that's on him, Just like Brodeur thinking he was still a starter and decided to fail miserably with the blues instead of retiring as a Devil.

Except Quick didn't decide to move on

• Haha
Reactions: Xirik

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Putting on blind hope at this point... Quick and Columbus mutually agree to terminate the contract, Quick passes thru waivers and is free to sign somewhere (Vegas or Seattle pls) as depth for league minimum

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
The kings downgraded their goaltending and brought In a Dman that isn't better than their top 4. Lol
This is not true. Quick was letting in like the first shot on goal a lot of games and hed let in 3 on the first 7 shots.
Durzi is a disaster on his off side and shouldnt be out there holding leads.
I dont like giving up the first at all and think Gavrikov and Korpisalo are quite mediocre. Probably wouldnt have done this deal unless there are other moves to come because they have more issues as a team that need to be fixed.
But left defense and goaltending have been massive holes that are sinking the Kings many nights. This wasnt the best way to fix it and kinda seems desperate though.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
The kings downgraded their goaltending and brought In a Dman that isn't better than their top 4. Lol
As a Kings fan I absolutely hate this move, but you know less than nothing about the Kings if you seriously think they downgraded in goal and Gavrikov doesn't belong in their top 4. The Kings have literally played the entire season with one legit NHL quality LD

Deas

Feb 3, 2017
No one's saying that. Korpisalo is a better goaltender than Quick this season and gives LA a better chance to win.

But this is a really dumb trade for a relatively smart, conservative GM and it just so happens to throw LA's greatest goaltender of all time under the bus with two months left of a 10 year contract. Again, why now? Blake knew that G and LD were issues heading into the season. Why not try to address this over summer, and with players likely to stay long term? We gave up a first anyway, why not add another and go get Chychrun instead? If Gavrikov and Korpisalo walk after this season, then what the f*** was this all for?
A chance to win. The point of it all, you know. Even more so with Kopitar and Doughty in their final good years.

Yes, LA is not up there with the stacked teams in the East but if you only go win now when you're the best on paper alot of teams never would. You have very good depth, the West is open and there's always a slight chance.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Quick played well for the kings last playoffs.
Gavrikov is overrated.
Sadly, this isn’t the same Jonathan Quick. The Kings wouldn’t be making this move had he still been performing at that level. You may be right about Gavrikov, but Korpisalo is an upgrade over Quick. Look at their numbers this season. There is no comparison.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
As a Ducks fan, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if Quick agreed to be traded to help the team out. He’s been an amazing part of their success and this could add to that.

It’s nice that Getz retired a lifelong Duck, but we could have gotten some great assets if we moved him last year or the year before. I’m ok with how it turned out, but helping the team seems to be part of the dna of some players

Reactions: deaderhead28

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Doesn’t he have a .911 Sv% on arguably one of the worst teams in the league?

Put him on a team that knows how to hockey and that’s only going to improve.
Yeah, but the problem is that he's going to the Kings, who know how to allow 5 goals in a game.
Kings are good defensively
They've allowed more goals than they've scored this season, especially at 5v5, where they've allowed the 9th-most in the NHL.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
If one only visited HF to read threads where a young woman has come forward accusing hockey player(s) of sexual assault, then one would come away feeling that many hockey fans are a callous, unfeeling lot.
But I come here and read the outpouring of sympathy and empathy toward Quick and it has restored my faith in this segment of society.

GMlizard

Jul 23, 2022
Very good take. LA has had solid goaltending this year and korpisalo has been a dissapointment in a very promising team.. well spotted, can’t get it why almost all other comments read the game so differently. Wonder when do they call us for a job at the front office

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Yeah, but the problem is that he's going to the Kings, who know how to allow 5 goals in a game.

They've allowed more goals than they've scored this season, especially at 5v5, where they've allowed the 9th-most in the NHL.

That's because their goaltending has been shiiiite. Not a Kings fan / haven't seen many games but fancy stats bear out the fact that the Kings are positive in all the ES categories that most ppl pay attention to (corsi, fenwick, shots%, xgf%, scf%, even hdcf%). Columbus is net negative in all those categories and bottom 5 in the league (ie truly terrible) in most. I can throw numbers at you if you want but you can look them up yourself on NST:

For a more top level metric, CBJ is allowing 35.0 shots per game (3rd worst in the league), Kings are allowing 28.4 shots against per game (5th best). If you really want to argue that LA is a worse defensive team than Columbus, then by all means good luck... but then I'd ask you not to use arguments which basically only show how bad your goalies have been (for the record, Kings have 3rd worst sv% in the league at 89.88% despite better than average overall defensive metrics).

Imo that's why the trade for Joonas wasn't the worst idea, imagine what you could do with a league average goalie or maybe one who is even better than that

EDIT: included NST link

Last edited:
Reactions: Cape

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
What?

Gavrikov is a legit top4

Korpisalo has been Columbus MVP, won them plenty of points they shouldn’t have
Gavrikov is a pretty low end top 4D. He struggles a lot at defending against speed and off the rush which he's going to need to do to get through Colorado or Edmonton. He's an ok pick up, but I'm glad he's going to the Kings and not Edmonton. Have watched enough Oilers D get abused by speed over the past few years.

Reactions: bsu

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Quick played well for the kings last playoffs.
Gavrikov is overrated.

Last playoffs... Who gives a shit about "last playoffs".

31 games played, 3.50 GAA, SV % 0.876..... That´s just terrible. You can´t downgrade further than this.

Gavrikov is overrated... ?? :huh: I doubt that Blake is done yet, but no, Gavrikov is not overrated.

You know who is overrated? Darnell Nurse. Especially for 9.25 Million. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad