Value of: Laine to Seattle

Yanny

Jul 7, 2015
We have an abundance of RHD. Don’t see the fit for Borgen. I’d imagine we’d be interested in bringing Bjorkstrand back. Or maybe something around Tanev + 8 OA for Laine+ 36 OA + prospect like Dumais
Lol You wont get the 8 OA for laine.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
We have an abundance of RHD. Don’t see the fit for Borgen. I’d imagine we’d be interested in bringing Bjorkstrand back. Or maybe something around Tanev + 8 OA for Laine+ 36 OA + prospect like Dumais

That is just insane wishful thinking. The Jackets would be extremely lucky to get a late 1st in a Laine deal much less a top 10 pick!

If you want the 8th overall in a Laine deal, I'd suggest you attach the 4th overall. I hear that is in play.

Reactions: capazzo

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Seattle and especially Columbus are both in a situation where they have too many wingers, and over the next few years, they'll have to move some of them out. I can't see a deal for either team where they add a winger without sending out a winger. Maybe for Seattle, they could add a cheap 4th line winger, MAYBE, but that's about it. So "Laine for (not a winger)" isn't going to work IMO.

Expand the deal to include a winger, and also add something else to balance it out. I think the easiest winger to move for Seattle is probably Tanev. "Laine for Borgen and Tanev", maybe. Not saying I like the OP trade or agree with the value, but at least this version of it seems closer to making sense I think.

Reactions: Viqsi

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Seattle and especially Columbus are both in a situation where they have too many wingers, and over the next few years, they'll have to move some of them out. I can't see a deal for either team where they add a winger without sending out a winger. Maybe for Seattle, they could add a cheap 4th line winger, MAYBE, but that's about it. So "Laine for (not a winger)" isn't going to work IMO.

Expand the deal to include a winger, and also add something else to balance it out. I think the easiest winger to move for Seattle is probably Tanev. "Laine for Borgen and Tanev", maybe. Not saying I like the OP trade or agree with the value, but at least this version of it seems closer to making sense I think.
I agree that Seattle needs a winger going back to Columbus or work to move one of them out in a different trade to make room for Laine.

I also cannot see them moving out the 8OA pick for Laine. Not by a longshot.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
We have an abundance of RHD. Don’t see the fit for Borgen.
I could see CBJ adding Borgen on a short-term basis and then flipping him at the deadline for a pick or prospect.

Werenski - Severson
Provorov - Borgen
(kid / Boqvist) - Gudbranson
(Boqvist / UFA depth D)

Then at the deadline, Provorov and Borgen are traded as expiring rentals to playoff teams. To replace those 2 guys, Jiricek comes up and maybe CBJ take back an expiring depth D in the Borgen trade or Provorov trade.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Just be glad Columbus would be freeing up cap space.

We aren’t in a hurry to free up cap space.

I could see CBJ adding Borgen on a short-term basis and then flipping him at the deadline for a pick or prospect.

Werenski - Severson
Provorov - Borgen
(kid / Boqvist) - Gudbranson
(Boqvist / UFA depth D)

Then at the deadline, Provorov and Borgen are traded as expiring rentals to playoff teams. To replace those 2 guys, Jiricek comes up and maybe CBJ take back an expiring depth D in the Borgen trade or Provorov trade.

Why would we do this though? Borgen doesn’t fit a need and we can do better in a 1 for 1 deal. We also aren’t in need of stockpiling more picks and prospects.

That is just insane wishful thinking. The Jackets would be extremely lucky to get a late 1st in a Laine deal much less a top 10 pick!

If you want the 8th overall in a Laine deal, I'd suggest you attach the 4th overall. I hear that is in play.

Talk about wishful thinking…

• Haha
Reactions: Patty Ice

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
I think the Jackets should just hold on the Laine and not trade him, just pay him until he is a ufa and go from there.

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Just be glad Columbus would be freeing up cap space.
This isn't an objective for the Jackets. If we were looking for ways to remove contracts we find distasteful, that would involve Merzlikins. Or possibly Severson.

* * *​
Why would we do this though? Borgen doesn’t fit a need and we can do better in a 1 for 1 deal. We also aren’t in need of stockpiling more picks and prospects.
Borgen could potentially fill our need for a shutdown defenseman, but I'd also prefer someone with a bit more of an experienced proven track record.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
In terms of the specific deal, yeah, I'm not advocating for that deal. In terms of "add Borgen to CBJ", Borgen DOES fit a need. The need is league-wide and it's RHD that can play top 4 minutes. CBJ adding Borgen for half of a year, then cashing in at the trade deadline, translates into pick(s)/prospect(s). MAYBE even a 1st round pick if Borgen has a good year. A 2nd rounder + second piece isn't unreasonable. Being a non-playoff team and adding 1 year contracts that translate into good assets at the trade deadline always fits a need.

Reactions: majormajor

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
I think the Jackets should just hold on the Laine and not trade him, just pay him until he is a ufa and go from there.
The issue is that Columbus is going to have to move at least one winger soon, if not more, and most of the other wingers fit better long-term and are younger. Gaudreau and Nylander won't be traded (at least, yet) and Texier is the only other winger I can see them wanting to maybe move on from. Chinakhov, Marchenko, Voronkov and Kent Johnson seem to be in the long-term plans, at least, for now. From what I can tell.

That's 8 top 9 wingers including Laine. Kent Johnson can play in the AHL without needing waivers for one more season, but then that's still 7 top 9 wingers. Something's gotta give.

Reactions: majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad