Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I've been an Oilers fan and posting on this board since I was 11 years old. Back in 2006.

I'm a diehard, been here through everything and although we may not agree on what I'm seeing vs. what you're saying, it does bother me to have my support for the team questioned.

I see a totally different Draisaitl talking about totally different priorities than even Henrique, Janmark etc. In response to Spector he says 'well when you put it THAT way' -- with implications that Spector is missing half the story. The factors at play such as location, family, money. We've seen better players than Draisaitl hightail out of here or refuse to play here.

He has been a loyal soldier and great player since we drafted him, but to think there's no chance of him wanting to experience something different now that he's spent what should be half his career in one location is unreasonable. His comments at the presser did nothing to assuage this fan personally.
Lies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You have 148 posts in 18 years??? I’m gonna call BS on that one bud. :laugh: Anyway time will tell on Leon but I’m not worried
He’s already decided as a matter of fact, that Drais Canadian actress girlfriend who acts exclusively in Canadian produced movies wants to go to Hollywood at age 28 to follow her dream. No this isn’t a theory of his, he says it’s fact.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
If I was a new GM, My to do list would be ;

1. Reisgns - lock them in. Important keepers ; Henrique, Janmark, C.Brown.

You CAN sign depthplayers to term, kom salary is easy to trade or buy out - absolute low risk.
Henrique to a low term, Janmark to term low CAP, Brown to low CAP.

2. Buyout Campbell

3. Deside what to do on high risk/high CAP planets. Nurse and Kane. Are Therese a chance that Kane falls of a cliff or rebound? Nurse? Keep, and buy out Campbell, and trade IF needed Nurse.

4. Scan the market for a top Winnerbäck, and a 3rd line winger, throw money for a show me one year comtract. Sign a defensiven D IF you get rid of Nurse or Ceci.

5. Look for resign Fogele at 2,5, otherwise let go. Let Gagner, Perry, Carrier go.
Think about IF McLeod is replacable, or is worth keeping as a PK expert and a 3rd liner.

Keep Ceci as a 3rd pair D.
Keep Kulak, resign Broberg for term NOW, like 5 years x 3 millions.
VD is a regular season D, resign at low Cap, other wise let go.

6. Get a solid back up goalie.

Skinner
Backup goalie.
Packard

Ekholm Bouch
Nurse/new guy Broberg
Kulak Ceci/new guy

Nuge McDavid Hyman
new FA Leon Kane
Holloway Henrique Janmark
McLeod C.Brown new guy
New guy

And what about oilers "prospects", Borgenault, Savoie(???), Petrov. Are they all faults?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I fully expect the Campbell buyout to be announced soon but it's to bad he never got a chance under Knob but Skinner is 100% the starter now and having a 5 million dollar backup makes zero sense.

Reactions: Canovin

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Broberg was a huge surpise in the playoffs. He seemed too timid every other time I watched him play and here he was on the biggest hockey stage in the wolrd skaitng and handling the puck with confidence. Very impressive.
I cant see how he doesnt parlay that into a top 4 role next season.
Agreed but there will be some mistakes along the way as well, hopefully the fan base doesn’t overreact to every one of them but it is HFOil….lol

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I like Henrique and was pleasantly surprised he finally came around and proved his worth. My biggest issue, though, was a need to bolster our top 6 and get an elite winger that came cheaper than what we paid for our 3rd line C. Just sucks we weren't in a position cap-wise to make additional deals
Browns bonus and Perry’s were a large factor in that. We wanted to keep as much cap as possible to pay them this year and not next. But yeah I agree it would have been great to get say a Tafolli

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
That's fantastic news if you're a Canucks fan. Big competitive player with offensive upside.

He was an UFA was he not. That's a discount if he was.
Am I missing something here? I keep hearing people say that he took a big discount. He's 28 years old, and previously never had more than 23 points in a season. He just had 32 points, riding a 21% shooting percentage and a 77.14% IPP, in a season which is a massive outlier in his career. My initial reaction was that this contract does not seem like a smart gamble at all.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Do you know how hard it is to make the Cup Final consecutively these days? Colorado couldnt get back and they have Mackinnon and Makar
Though they also lost a fair number of key players from their cup team. The Oilers will lose some players but not as consequential as guys like Kadri, Burakovsy, Landeskog and effective Nichuskin.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Agreed but there will be some mistakes along the way as well, hopefully the fan base doesn’t overreact to every one of them but it is HFOil….lol
If anything there was under reaction to Broberg's and Holloway's mistakes in the playoffs. They are both "works in progress." Anyone using ink placing Broberg in the top 4 and Holloway in the top six are making a mistake.

Kulak should also come under some scrutiny as a player that got a pass on mistakes during critical moments. I like the player but this "playoff Kulak" is mass figment of the imagination.
Foegele is getting 4 mil for sure now
I doubt that Foegele even gets offered 3M.

Joshua is a stud, many GMs were licking their chops over the prospect of adding him to the roster and they would have ponied up more than what the Canucks just signed him to.
Am I missing something here? I keep hearing people say that he took a big discount. He's 28 years old, and previously never had more than 23 points in a season. He just had 32 points, riding a 21% shooting percentage and a 77.14% IPP, in a season which is a massive outlier in his career. My initial reaction was that this contract does not seem like a smart gamble at all.
I was really impressed with the player. I would do a backflip if the Oil could add his equivalent with an identical contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad