Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Is this even worth it? I get it with Nurse but are we replacing that player on the open market for less than 6? Not a lot of wiggle room there and that's a lot of retained salary for a very long time.

Unless you're getting something else of real value in the trade but it's kinda hard to imagine that.

Yeah I agree. Nurse is over paid but not significantly in my opinion.

• Haha
Reactions: Markham30

PositiveCashFlow

the construction could be better
Jul 10, 2007
Mixed feelings about KH. He did make some good moves and we did make it to the SCF. I don't know how close he'd get with another team

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Yeah I agree. Nurse is over paid but not significantly in my opinion.

Eh, I would call him significantly overpaid. 9M is 50% more than 6.

But I am saying that if you trade this player you do have to find someone who can replace him in the lineup which also costs you at least 6M and given the fair assumption that another team would need to be compensated handsomely to take this contract on it doesn't seem like a very workable idea. You give up assets, retain significant salary, and end up in basically the same spot you already were.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Is this even worth it? I get it with Nurse but are we replacing that player on the open market for less than 6? Not a lot of wiggle room there and that's a lot of retained salary for a very long time.

Unless you're getting something else of real value in the trade but it's kinda hard to imagine that.

Could you ship out Nurse and Ceci and use the balance to sign 2 of Montour/Walker/Carrier/Roy or is that pushing it?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
If Janmark-Rico-Brown are back, I'd say there's a 100% chance that they're the third line.

It'll be a miracle if the three of them are paid low enough to not be.
I highly doubt that Janmark and Brown get more than high end 4th line money. 3rd line salaries are $3m+ nowadays, neither is getting that here especially.

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
Said it many many time KH did EXACTLY what he said he would do when he arrived. Made us a perennial playoff team. We were two goals from glory. :shakehead
He doesn't deserve ALL the slander he's getting, but one cup finals appearance in 9 years of McDavid is still unacceptable. Bad deals aside (AA, Campbell, Nurse) he made some really good moves; however, it's what he didn't do time and time again. He was too scared to make any big TDL/summer and make this team over the top. Yes, we are perennial contenders, but we should've been slam dunk favourites and been able to blow teams out of the water. We are right on the cusp, but we're not good enough to be locks and, to me, that's unacceptable. Holland pandered to the team sentiment as well as his own inability to take a risk and we should've walked away with better pieces and each of the last few TDLs (in terms of fwds).

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Perennial playoff team shouldn’t be the goal with the 2 best players in the world
As Ken said the first step is making the playoffs every year. This gives you a chance at the cup every year. The more chances you get the better chance of winning it. He made some errors along the way (Nurse Campbell) but he did what he promised when he arrived and again 2 goals is all we needed.

Reactions: TB12 and Oilhawks

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Eh, I would call him significantly overpaid. 9M is 50% more than 6.

But I am saying that if you trade this player you do have to find someone who can replace him in the lineup which also costs you at least 6M and given the fair assumption that another team would need to be compensated handsomely to take this contract on it doesn't seem like a very workable idea. You give up assets, retain significant salary, and end up in basically the same spot you already were.

Right - so by your same logic he's not significantly overpaid.

He's a 6M player by the numbers with additional intangibles (read - worth extra) being paid 9.25M. that means replacing his impact will cost you more than 6M.

That means it's not a great use of assets to pay money to move him to spend 6M to replace his numbers then 2M to replace his intangibles.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Interesting thought but color me skeptical no matter who the new GM is.

If you were an opposing GM (and most of them aren't afraid to hurt other GMs feelings) would you take on the Nurse contract even if the Oilers retained 50%?

On another note I think that Ryan will probably go down to Bakersfield to finish his career and possibly be recalled in injury situations. It might be a good move for the Oilers because he could provide some experience down there and possibly help the younger guys to develop. It does seem odd that none of the better prospects from the last few years seem to be on an NHL path.

WRT Lavoie, time to either give him a shot (pun intended) with the big club or let the guy move on somewhere else. He's not going to get any better in the AHL.
I think that it depends entirely on the situation.
If I am a rebuilding GM I may look at Nurse and his situation in Edmonton and think that he needs a fresh start. Given a fresh start it may allow Nurse to settle down in his game and be a part of a new D core.
If the Oilers were to retain $2M then that might be enough to start discussions.
So I dont think that Nurse is untradable at all but it would require a specific situation to make it happen.

As for Ryan being that he is going to be 38 years old (just had a Tragically Hip song pop into my head...lol) he is definitely past his best beofre date. I really like Ryan but his career is coming to a close. I also think that Perry shouldnt be offered a contract.

Reactions: MoontoScott

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
He hasn’t failed. Contending teams always look to improve their depth at the deadline. Bringing in guys like Henrique and Bjugstad isn’t the indictment of McLeod you think it is. If you actually notice they target guys who like McLeod can play all three fwd positions so that they have the versatility to move guys around the lineup and put together different line combinations. Of course there’s areas of Mcleods game that need improvement, like some more consistency in his ability to provide secondary scoring and he could be a little more engaged physically but as pointed out, he’s improved goal and scoring totals in each season so he’s constantly making progress but he’s also already shown that his skating and defensive ability are assets at C, especially in matchup situations where you hope your 3rd line can prevent against an opponents top 6 line.

Continuing to develop McLeod at 3C while also having options to move him around the lineup when needed is how you get the most out of a player, not by putting them in a box and saying he’s not X and he’ll never be. Your shortsightedness is what makes you so awful at evaluating talent and so constantly wrong on players. Player development is a complex and constantly shifting process that doesn’t just end when a guy is 21-22, players are continually developing throughout their careers. You seem to always place some arbitrary development points and timeline on players and if they don’t meet your often unrealistic expectations then you’re ready to box that player in or label them a bust. Thats how you stunt player development and limit player growth. Teams that are patient with players and support them when needed while giving them time and opportunity to grow are the ones who eventually get rewarded. With all that said if McLeod can be used to upgrade on a Ceci or as a piece to get a more impactful player Im all for it, but if he’s on the roster I don’t see a point in boxing him in by not continuing to work with him at 3C.

Broberg is another prime example, you were quick to label the kid a bust and if you were in charge he would have been shipped out for 2nd round pick value already, instead of playing 17-18 minutes a night in the Cup finals.
I've said this a hundred times over many years, "the Oilers will never win in the playoffs with McLeod as their third line center."

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Ooooh an avatar bet this early in the off season - I like!!

Utah and a couple former low rent districts like Chicago Anaheim and San Jose looking to massively upgrade the D.

He’s got a ton of experience in the playoffs, used to superstars (Chicago and their young Bedard, Sharks and Celebrini) can be their number one (I think he’s pouting a bit being the number 5 here with ice time in the playoffs) and get PP time to inflate the point totals.

Stauffer usually hints at stuff that’s on the burner and a lot of it does happen though.

That said Nurse skipping the media avail today is telling. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s asked for a change of scenery. It’s white hot for him here right now. Can’t be very enjoyable for him.

So when it happens I’ll find the worst Tkachuk image I can find. :nod:

Would be something if it really did happen though!
Funny enough, I was thinking of saying "pick any avatar of your choice other than Tkachuk" because somehow I knew that Tkachuk would be your choice damn it.

Fine, I'll make the sacrifice of keeping a dirty, rat infested Tkachuk avatar for a year if it means getting that $9.25m off the books. ;)

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
He doesn't deserve ALL the slander he's getting, but one cup finals appearance in 9 years of McDavid is still unacceptable. Bad deals aside (AA, Campbell, Nurse) he made some really good moves; however, it's what he didn't do time and time again. He was too scared to make any big TDL/summer and make this team over the top. Yes, we are perennial contenders, but we should've been slam dunk favourites and been able to blow teams out of the water. We are right on the cusp, but we're not good enough to be locks and, to me, that's unacceptable. Holland pandered to the team sentiment as well as his own inability to take a risk and we should've walked away with better pieces and each of the last few TDLs (in terms of fwds).
Henrique and Carrick for 31st overall is a deal I make again without question. Covid screwed up the AA deal big time. The cap was set to rise almost 10 million before Covid. That would have paid for Kass AA and a Nurse long term deal. Things changed in one day so blaming Ken for that is just absurd to me. The team has been as consistent as any I have ever personally play. 19/20-23/24 2nd on the pacific between 98-109 points. Can you name any team besides the dynasty era that accomplished this feet with an oil drop on their chest?

Reactions: TB12 and Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad