Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - camp edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ

Fixed.

1727713422801.png

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Depends how much of our fanbase are Mets fans and how much are Yankees fans that won’t give a shit…but yeah just with the lineups themselves and the baseball, this is going to be the lightest non COVID crowd in the history of the Rock and they’ll still announce 10-11,000 lol

G62sjA.gif

• Haha
Reactions: NjDevsRR

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
1.) The pre-season doesn't matter.
2.) Small sample size.
3.) A new coach is installing a new system that the guys have to learn from scratch, there will be a learning curve.
4.) The defense is missing two top-4 guys.
5.) All that said, there is a legitimate chance that both goaltenders who are in their year 35 seasons are cooked and that we gave up a 1st + 3rd + Bahl for two lemons. Which is why a lot of people were hesitant to pony up the assets for such risky acquisitions.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
It'll be interesting to see what they do at that point.

I figured it would be Dineen and the AHL coaching staff running things for the last 3 preseason games, which will more or less be played by the Utica guys anyway. Maybe a smaller Utica camp opens up on the 2nd with the last of the guys joining on the 4th given the final preseason game is on the 3rd.
There could be a change in plans. The post I saw yesterday is gone. Any look for Comets preseason camp schedule or roster is nonexistent. Have a feeling that's due to almost nobody to have a camp for including the coaches. I'll keep looking for info. They might not open up until the Comets are finished being mop ups for the Devils. That leaves almost no time at all.

There was some serious brain farting taking place when the scheduling to accommodate the Devils for their trip to Prague was created.
The last Devils preseason game is OCT. 3rd in Philly.
The Comets are scheduled to host the Syracuse Crunch in a preseason game on OCT. 4th!!!!!!!!!

That would give the Comets 6 days to run some kind of mini camp starting on the 5th with their main roster players. They have to get at least one day off after having played 3 games in 4 days for NJ with the last 2 on the road. Then get back to Jersey after the Philly game on the 3rd, pack up, and get to Utica where a game is scheduled for the 4th. I assume the 2nd Ranger game will see a few guys sent to Utica to join up with the Thunder to get ready for Syracuse. This goes beyond the absurd.

The Comets that play in the Syracuse game and those who played in Philly will be gassed on the 5th. Not much time will be left for an actual Comets camp since the 6th will be 5 days before they open the season. Ship the Thunder the Hell back to Adirondack and give Dineen and his coaches a short amount of time to get their lines and D-pairings set up while making sure Keefe's systems established in NJ are hammered out before they take to the ice vs the Crunch on the 11th. There has to be some time for a short break in there as well. These guys will have been going hard since mid-September. They won't even have had time to establish their homes away from home yet.

This Prague trip will turn out to have been FAR more detrimental to the Comets than it was for the Devils.

• Wow
Reactions: HBK27

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
There could be a change in plans. The post I saw yesterday is gone. Any look for Comets preseason camp schedule or roster is nonexistent. Have a feeling that's due to almost nobody to have a camp for including the coaches. I'll keep looking for info. They might not open up until the Comets are finished being mop ups for the Devils. That leaves almost no time at all.

There was some serious brain farting taking place when the scheduling to accommodate the Devils for their trip to Prague was created.
The last Devils preseason game is OCT. 3rd in Philly.
The Comets are scheduled to host the Syracuse Crunch in a preseason game on OCT. 4th!!!!!!!!!

That would give the Comets 6 days to run some kind of mini camp starting on the 5th with their main roster players. They have to get at least one day off after having played 3 games in 4 days for NJ with the last 2 on the road. Then get back to Jersey after the Philly game on the 3rd, pack up, and get to Utica where a game is scheduled for the 4th. I assume the 2nd Ranger game will see a few guys sent to Utica to join up with the Thunder to get ready for Syracuse. This goes beyond the absurd.

The Comets that play in the Syracuse game and those who played in Philly will be gassed on the 5th. Not much time will be left for an actual Comets camp since the 6th will be 5 days before they open the season. Ship the Thunder the Hell back to Adirondack and give Dineen and his coaches a short amount of time to get their lines and D-pairings set up while making sure Keefe's systems established in NJ are hammered out before they take to the ice vs the Crunch on the 11th. There has to be some time for a short break in there as well. These guys will have been going hard since mid-September. They won't even have had time to establish their homes away from home yet.

This Prague trip will turn out to have been FAR more detrimental to the Comets than it was for the Devils.
Just because they're not officially sent down doesn't mean they're not Comets. Is staying up in the NHL training camp that detrimental? I presume the AHL coaches are there to guide them, still being in the NHL in name only.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
from Morreale today:

Part of the reason I’m so unphased by the crummy preseason is how work the Devils seem to realize they have to do to get over the hump imposed by Ruff’s lack of preparation and organization. I mean this is Morreale speaking of Keefe:

“He also wants players to understand where the outlets are and, most importantly, to keep the legs moving, particularly on the forecheck.”

Obviously Keefe isn’t intending that to be an indictment of the previous staff, but that’s how I’m gonna read it. Feels reminiscent of Lemaire coming in after JMac.

Reactions: Better Call Sal

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
from Morreale today:

Part of the reason I’m so unphased by the crummy preseason is how work the Devils seem to realize they have to do to get over the hump imposed by Ruff’s lack of preparation and organization. I mean this is Morreale speaking of Keefe:

“He also wants players to understand where the outlets are and, most importantly, to keep the legs moving, particularly on the forecheck.”

Obviously Keefe isn’t intending that to be an indictment of the previous staff, but that’s how I’m gonna read it. Feels reminiscent of Lemaire coming in after JMac.

It just sounds like coach speak to me. It's not like Ruff ever said he wanted them to slack off and not know what they are supposed to do.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
It just sounds like coach speak to me. It's not like Ruff ever said he wanted them to slack off and not know what they are supposed to do.
Sure but what his teams definitely never did were forecheck hard and breakout cleanly. If you read the article, these are two specific things Keefe pointed out before reverting to typical coach speak about character and culture and routine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad