Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Ottawa was able to trade away a deadweight in Korpisalo and got a much better goalie in return.

Korpisalo is Patrick Roy compared to Campbell. There is actually some semblance of goalie there, and in front of a team that doesn’t outright stink he actually has odds of doing ok.

Campbell is the worst goalie in the NHL.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Ottawa was able to trade away a deadweight in Korpisalo and got a much better goalie in return.
Korpisalo is coming off a bad year on a bad team, good the year before. Campbell has been bad 2 years in a row. Campbell also makes another mill. There is more of a market for Korpisalo than Campbell.

...Assuming he's buried. That's the key thing here. If he's not then it's obviously far more than 50k.
You do know that even if we don’t have Janmark, we need to pay someone to play his position right? You do understand how that works? Like at minimum you have to play 18 skaters and 2 goalies.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
To keep their cap hit down. Depth guys, especially guys after 30 or close to look for the total amount they can earn before retiring. So to get them to stay you offer them term that will give them a bit more or the same they would get doing a couple 1 year deals. The overall cap hit today is lower than it would be on a one year deal and if they can’t keep their end of the bargain in a year or two, you have them be one of the AHL vets. The literal only downside is it wastes a billionaires money. So actually no downside.
I get keeping their cap down, but VD at 8 years is not a smart cap move. We started the year with at least being one player short on our list and one game we played short handed. They sent down Campbell and gained two players. Cap space will always being fragile in Edmonton.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I get keeping their cap down, but VD at 8 years is not a smart cap move. We started the year with at least being one player short on our list and one game we played short handed. They sent down Campbell and gained two players. Cap space will always being fragile in Edmonton.
Oh absolutely. VD isn’t good enough for that. Janmark signed for 2-3 years to keep his cap down is absolutely valuable.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Because they can outperform the value of those contracts, thus keeping them beyond the short term costs you exponentially more.

Connor Brown is a player I'd have a lot of interest giving a two or three year term of it kept the AAV under $2m.
two or three year term is fine, 8 is not

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Except then you have less cap to work with this year.

He signed for league min last season. He had an off season this season but had a spectacular playoffs. He said he's looking to win and doesn't expect the money to be there in the open market. So why wouldn't he sign another 1yr 750k contract to get another wack?

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I've been an Oilers fan and posting on this board since I was 11 years old. Back in 2006.

I'm a diehard, been here through everything and although we may not agree on what I'm seeing vs. what you're saying, it does bother me to have my support for the team questioned.

I see a totally different Draisaitl talking about totally different priorities than even Henrique, Janmark etc. In response to Spector he says 'well when you put it THAT way' -- with implications that Spector is missing half the story. The factors at play such as location, family, money. We've seen better players than Draisaitl hightail out of here or refuse to play here.

He has been a loyal soldier and great player since we drafted him, but to think there's no chance of him wanting to experience something different now that he's spent what should be half his career in one location is unreasonable. His comments at the presser did nothing to assuage this fan personally.
Yesterday was the first time I’ve seen a post from you so stop lying. Either be honest or get out. Seriously unbelievable

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He signed for league min last season. He had an off season this season but had a spectacular playoffs. He said he's looking to win and doesn't expect the money to be there in the open market. So why wouldn't he sign another 1yr 750k contract to get another wack?
He signed for 1mill this past season and his playoffs will get him offers above that from other teams. Thats something you have to balance out as well. We won’t be the only team looking to sign him.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
They traded a 1st round pick to do that, retained almost as much as Campbell's buyout for significant term, and came out of that deal with less cap space than they had before.
That's the price of Korpisalo. What about the price to get Ullmark? They got a steal of a deal

Some of you guys don't agree with Cruisecity posts. Just put him on ignore. No reason to keep harassing the guy.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That's the price of Korpisalo. What about the price to get Ullmark? They got a steal of a deal

Some of you guys don't agree with Cruisecity posts. Just put him on ignore. No reason to keep harassing the guy.
2 years of Markstrom cost a first next year and a 3rd pairing D.

So it was probably Mark Kastellic, 2nd to get Ullmark and then a 2nd and retention to move Korpisalo.

So if we want to move Campbell, a worse goalie without retention we are probably looking at a 1st to start. Maybe JUST a first if we retain his buyout amount. Which only helps us in 3 seasons.

Ullmark only is signed this year.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

I think any post made on these forums is open to respectful debate. Anyone who can't handle that, shouldn't be posting?

Reactions: Oilhawks

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Id target Duclair, Arvidsson and Carrier. Broberg, Holloway, Lavoie full timers. Run it back w/ Pickard and keep an eye on the goalie market.

But to do that you have to find a way to offload Ceci and Kane. I know Holland would never have the creativity to get that done, but hopefully Jackson has a few tricks up his sleeve.
I hope we can Vegas this situation and LTIR Kane until the playoffs.

I thought his posts were fine. Some of you guys just can't handle the reality that Draisaitl might not sign which exactly what he pointed out
They can't debate that though?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I hope we can Vegas this situation and LTIR Kane until the playoffs.

They can't debate that though?
You can debate it. It's for the others who's questioning him if he's an Oilers fan. He's been posting throughout the playoffs. Maybe he didn't want to lurk anymore and create an account to join the fun?

Reactions: Vagabond

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Seravalli just said 25% chance Nurse is traded if we retain some salary.
I think nurse might have interest as a player. Salary is high for what he offers at the moment but I think there is a much better player then what he showed this year.

I don’t know if it will happen. I think it would have an interesting chain of events though. Would probably mean kulak stays.

Reactions: McDoused

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Are we moving on from Cal Pickard?

I heard Stauffer mentioned Pheonix Copley which.. I mean.. I don't understand at all. Surely there is something better out there than that. I'd rather just sign Pickard for another year.
Copley should be a #3 at best. Basically to fill the role that Pickard used to have in Bako. I don't see a NHL back-up there based on his stats.

Reactions: McDoused

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Seravalli just said 25% chance Nurse is traded if we retain some salary.

Is this even worth it? I get it with Nurse but are we replacing that player on the open market for less than 6? Not a lot of wiggle room there and that's a lot of retained salary for a very long time.

Unless you're getting something else of real value in the trade but it's kinda hard to imagine that.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Is this even worth it? I get it with Nurse but are we replacing that player on the open market for less than 6? Not a lot of wiggle room there and that's a lot of retained salary for a very long time.

Unless you're getting something else of real value in the trade but it's kinda hard to imagine that.
Depends. Say you can give up 6.5 of his cap and trade for a guy like Parayko? Change might be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad