Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Beauvillier actually fits the idea of "one year deals for cheaper players", but he did have a really, really bad year last year.

I'm actually fine with extending Pettersson as long as the extension is under 5 years of term. He needs to be traded in the future, but I don't think a 28 year old Pettersson and a 32 year old Pettersson will have any different value. However, they need to be smart about the term with his deal so they can set him up to be traded in the future.

Karlsson, Malkin, Letang, Rust and Crosby all have full NMCs and would extremely likely not waive for any trades.
I'm not too worried on term for Pettersson. Even going completely insane and giving him 8 years puts him at 34 or 35 at the end of the deal if they wanted to trade him. GMs are falling all over themselves to pay a 34 year old Tanev on a fresh long-term deal.

What I want to avoid is back loaded bonus money or excessive NTC protection.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm not too worried on term for Pettersson. Even going completely insane and giving him 8 years puts him at 34 or 35 at the end of the deal if they wanted to trade him. GMs are falling all over themselves to pay a 34 year old Tanev on a fresh long-term deal.

What I want to avoid is back loaded bonus money or excessive NTC protection.

That's definitely valid as well, but I'd rather have him be lined up to be traded as soon as Crosby and Malkin retire. I'd rather not have him for another 3 years of term after Sid and Geno hang them up.

Reactions: Sideline

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Lars Eller is a defensive center, Beauvillier is a scoring winger.

I know you just make shit up to complain about with Dubas, but come on.

1719510749983.png

Must not be familiar with Kyle Dubas.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
yall rip rightfully rip on Rossi… but then turn around and react to his “scoops” like they have any shred of legitimacy. Every. Single. Time.

his stuff is not worth allocating any thought or reaction to
Based on his little Anthony Beauvillier nugget at the end my guess is he just asked Letang's agent for off the record comments on everything else he wrote in there in exchange for marketing his.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Based on his little Anthony Beauvillier nugget at the end my guess is he just asked Letang's agent for off the record comments on everything else he wrote in there in exchange for marketing his.

Anthony Beauvillier is believable because he's the exact type of player that burned us in the playoffs and that's about as far as our scope seems to be when it comes to UFA acquisitions.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Anthony Beauvillier is believable because he's the exact type of player that burned us in the playoffs and that's about as far as our scope seems to be when it comes to UFA acquisitions.
If he's cheap and Smith is gone for a pick by the end of the weekend, then it could be ok.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
If he's cheap and Smith is gone for a pick by the end of the weekend, then it could be ok.

There is no reason to add Anthony Beauvillier. He's not an improvement over DOC or Bunting and he'd be blocking out Poulin for a spot on L3 if he Poulin can put anything together.

Just the exact opposite of what we should be doing. Hopefully as usual Rossi is completely offbase.

Reactions: Andy99

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
This team took like a month to fire Reirden and hire Quinn of all people to come in and not even actually fulfill any of the duties we need him to which is run a powerplay.

So I'm not expecting much agility when it comes to free agency. Hell maybe that's even a good thing. I'm tired of the team tripping all over itself to sign like the McGinns and Acciaris are the world on day one for batshit contracts when you could dig up nearly any old guy out of the AHL and he could do roughly the same thing for league minimum and maybe you even develop a player or two who knows.

Reactions: Andy99 and Sideline

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
This team took like a month to fire Reirden and hire Quinn of all people to come in and not even actually fulfill any of the duties we need him to which is run a powerplay.

So I'm not expecting much agility when it comes to free agency. Hell maybe that's even a good thing. I'm tired of the team tripping all over itself to sign like the McGinns and Acciaris are the world on day one for batshit contracts when you could dig up nearly any old guy out of the AHL and he could do roughly the same thing for league minimum and maybe you even develop a player or two who knows.

Yeah, but Anthony Beauvillier is 27 and has failed in three markets after leaving the Islanders.

There is exactly no reason his name should be connected to us in any fashion lol.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Anthony Beauvillier toasted us in the two playoff series with the Islanders.

Makes a lot of sense given what we've seemingly done in the past and matches up with Mike Sullivan's type of player.

Also someone I know connected to the team reaffirmed it.

Seems like the kind of flaccid move this team would make.

Plus everyone on the Isles burned this team in those playoffs lol. When we weren't busy burning ourselves.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Seems like the kind of flaccid move this team would make.

Plus everyone on the Isles burned this team in those playoffs lol. When we weren't busy burning ourselves.

"We are going to focus on getting younger"

Cue Dubas signing a bunch of 27-32 year old one year deals that block out everyone but DOC next year.

"what did you want Sullivan to do?"

yay our pick is helping San Jose improve their futures. Great job Dubie!

#respecttheplan

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I agree but also it is pretty awesome to have all these NHL events happening this week. Like a nice sendoff of NHL action before a few months off.

Teams that have guys who make double-digit millions a year don’t seem to be winning cups either.

Jack Eichel then barkov + Brobovsky
The last two Cup winners and the last two runners up both had guys making 10+

That's a pretty fair deal all things considered but we're still seeing death, taxes, getting paid on one year with a plus 20 percent shooting percentage.
Even if he reverts to 10 goals and 15 assists. He does a lot of work. That he can be useful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad