Value of: Laine + 1st

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I believe that is the point of this entire thread.

I would be very surprised if anyone did. (I wouldn't have started the thread for that reason, myself.) But you can't win if you don't try, so. :dunno:
Main thing is, Laine can't be the main piece in that deal. It has to be Werenski or a heavy future based deal around Sillinger.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Main thing is, Laine can't be the main piece in that deal. It has to be Werenski
Stopped reading there.

This isn't the sort of situation where we decide "okay, we need a top quality #1C, what can we give up". It's more "we have these two assets that are potentially valuable; does there, perchance, exist a useful opportunity to jumpstart a particular part of the build with them together?" The answer is as likely as not to be "no" (that's why I generally avoid starting these threads, myself), but sometimes you get surprised.

Or, IOW, hearing that nothing is available is fine and expected, but getting lectured on the value of our assets and speculating on us giving up core pieces kind of isn't.

KniespassZegras

Jan 2, 2022
Werenski, Sillinger and one of Chicago or their firsts, while taking back Koskinen (and some other salary stuff). Laine in no way could be the premier piece in a trade for Drai.

LOL Shii. then we see Marner for Werenski+deals lol

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Page two of a CBJ trade thread and it's already turned into an Edmontons centers crapfest again. Please stop.

Teams don't "normally" trade top line centers. The way to get top line centers is to draft and develop them and that's what Columbus should continue doing. If Laine can return a promising young (not elite) player or two they should trade him. Laine is a special player in the right place but at this particular time in the rebuild Columbus isn't a great place for him. There's a huge difference in perspective of the type of player Laine is but even if you aren't a big fan of his game (like me) the one thing he can do is score and he has an elite shot. He can be great somewhere.

Edit: They should keep their picks unless it's in a package for a top 6 center or RHD.

Reactions: GOilers88 and Fro

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I can see that, but pair him with a #1 Center and you get a serious scoring threat.

You want a top center for Laine + 1st, then you talk about how he'd be great with a top center, then you go on selling him to get a top center.

Make up your mind.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Stopped reading there.

This isn't the sort of situation where we decide "okay, we need a top quality #1C, what can we give up". It's more "we have these two assets that are potentially valuable; does there, perchance, exist a useful opportunity to jumpstart a particular part of the build with them together?" The answer is as likely as not to be "no" (that's why I generally avoid starting these threads, myself), but sometimes you get surprised.

Or, IOW, hearing that nothing is available is fine and expected, but getting lectured on the value of our assets and speculating on us giving up core pieces kind of isn't.
If you don't like that sort of discussion then stay off the mains proposal boards.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
The thing with Laine is that after his solid first few season he seemed to get over-cocky and since has not been able to produce at a level matching his cockiness. While I am sure there are teams interested in him, you might not get what you think he is worth at this point.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I really don't know why CLB adds a 1st here.
Laine is the real deal

Turcotte + Roy for Laine
I guess the idea is that the poster wants back the better player. Like a legit 1st line center or something like that.

Realistically there is no team who'll do that kind of trade unless they are rebuilding, in which case the center would be a veteran and therefore not a fit for Columbus who are rebuilding as well. In short, the Laine + 1st offer makes no sense.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
First, Laine is 23 and a top line sniper, something every team needs.
Second, the 1st is this years and can be Chicago's or CBJs since they are so close in the standings.
Third, the other 1st could be included as well.

CBJ needs listed in order of importance's:
Centers. (prospects)
Stay at home Dmen. (under 30)
Prospects. (center/dmen)
Picks. (1st/2nd)

Other assests likely available:
Domi
Korpi
Nyquist
Kukan
Cap Space

Removing the issue ofLaine salary demands and him being UFA in 2023.

what do you expect a team to give up fir a top 10 pick?

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
The thing with Laine is that after his solid first few season he seemed to get over-cocky and since has not been able to produce at a level matching his cockiness. While I am sure there are teams interested in him, you might not get what you think he is worth at this point.

Its not cockiness that hinders his scoring. He has been focusing on learning the 2-way game and for some reason refuses to take shots, previously he had the cockiness to actually take the shots and not defer to pass to a teammate.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
This is a guy who is potentially a year away from UFA if he accepts his high qualifying offer, with who knows what contract demands, having missed 20 of his team's 40 games so far this season. Is Laine's worth remotely in the ballpark of a top young center today? Few would say yes.

Who gives that up? Would the Jets even consider a Laine for Dubois swap, a year on? Would anyone? To say that Laine is a depreciated asset is putting it mildly, in my opinion. Casting him as an elite young sniper seems like you're trying to up-sell me a Yugo as a battered Rolls Royce.

He's headed for reclamation status on the free agency market, I think, with no additional risk to the team that sticks out its neck for him beyond signing him. I fear the Blue Jackets are going to be left holding the bag, and will struggle to recoup much of the value they so recently dealt away for him.

Reactions: Canadienna

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
delete

Better idea

Wahlstrom, Bolduc, a 2nd and Nelson for Laine and Roslovic

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
This is a guy who is potentially a year away from UFA if he accepts his high qualifying offer, with who knows what contract demands, having missed 20 of his team's 40 games so far this season. Is Laine's worth remotely in the ballpark of a top young center today? Few would say yes.

Who gives that up? Would the Jets even consider a Laine for Dubois swap, a year on? Would anyone? To say that Laine is a depreciated asset is putting it mildly, in my opinion. Casting him as an elite young sniper seems like you're trying to up-sell me a Yugo as a battered Rolls Royce.

He's headed for reclamation status on the free agency market, I think, with no additional risk to the team that sticks out its neck for him beyond signing him. I fear the Blue Jackets are going to be left holding the bag, and will struggle to recoup much of the value they so recently dealt away for him.
I'm assuming you mean the likes of McDavid/Leon, Matthews, MacKinnon? Or do you mean Barzal, Larkin, Aho types?

Because I'm not looking for either of those types.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
like DuBois?
Too established, looking more for a can't miss prospect with top 6 upside. Defenseive dman should be older, someone who can mentor Boqvist/Bean/Peeke etc. As for picks and prospects...rebuild stuff, so anything helps.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
I misunderstood the OP, I though they were giving up Laine and looking for a 1st+ in return.

Mercer is playing #3 center out of necessity. Great young player, but he sucks at faceoffs and his "good defensively" tag is only relative to other 19 year olds. He's tenacious but chases way too much and often finds himself in really bad position. I think letting him skate on the wing would really streamline his game. He reminds me a lot of a young Zach Parise, who was similarly drafted as a center but converted to LW early in his career.

Laine kind of makes sense in theory for NJ but we have many bigger problems to worry about - goaltending, coaching, defensive depth, secondary scoring. He doesn't really move the needle at the moment. We are a few years away from making a big splash for a top line scorer.

I don’t understand that mindset, sorry. When a clear cut sniper hits the market and is just 24 years of age and you have a pass happy franchise center who’s just begging to have someone with any type of solid release as his winger, you do whatever’s in your power to make that happen.

You can’t fix all your problems at once and yes, we need help elsewhere but brushing off an elite sniper because you have holes at other positions doesn’t make any sense to me. Carolina added a goalie off the free agent market, so there’s that option as well but you and I both know we can’t patch our holes strictly via free agency, because that’s where you overpay on price and term, which will leave you in cap hell sooner rather than later.

Everyone on our board knows that I love Dawson Mercer but as much as I love the kid, I’d love even more the one-two punch of Hughes and Laine. Move Bratt back with Nico, staple Holtz alongside those 2 and you have a very solid top #6 for the next several years right there.

Last edited:

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021

Not having to play with a legit setup man isn’t helping his case. If there’s a team that’s on the lookout for a big scoring winger to pair with a playmaking center, those #’s will rise back up to what they were when he was playing in Winnipeg (because of Scheiffle, not Little).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad