Speculation: LA Kings Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I don’t see a reason to keep Bjornfot honestly. I have no idea why they didn’t just trade him for a 3rd round pick already.

Reactions: Docgonzo

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I don’t see a reason to keep Bjornfot honestly. I have no idea why they didn’t just trade him for a 3rd round pick already.

Not really a strength of this management team to trade guys before they lose significant value. I still have no idea how after they drafted QB and signed Danault that they didn't trade Turcotte for a comparable goaltender, LHD, winger (all positions they had holes).

Just seemed so weird after having him in the NHL for the previous two seasons that TB was in the AHL almost all of last year.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Not really a strength of this management team to trade guys before they lose significant value. I still have no idea how after they drafted QB and signed Danault that they didn't trade Turcotte for a comparable goaltender, LHD, winger (all positions they had holes).

Just seemed so weird after having him in the NHL for the previous two seasons that TB was in the AHL almost all of last year.
The last time the Kings have ever sold a player who had good value was Muszin. I can’t remember a time before that.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Exactly. Kings need a bodyguard for Clarke or Spence.

The Kings aren’t dumb enough to trade Lemeiux, let McEwen walk and not have someone there to hold people accountable.

Behind the scenes tough guys like Sean O’Donnell, Matt Greene and Jeremy Clarke still have Blake’s ear.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
a-englund.jpg

So you've got two popular analytics models showing Englund was a pretty solid defender last year. And you've got most Avs fans saying he looked pretty good.

He doesn't take dumb penalties either. I like that.

Another thing I like is that he's right at that age where late blooming defensemen sometimes start to figure it out. The guy was a 2nd round pick for a reason. He's got the measurables: size + mobility with some physicality.

This could end up being a good "money puck" signing for the Kings if he can be a serviceable bottom pairing LHD for us.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
The Kings loved Edler on the bottom pair.

Englund is a younger version of Edler but much tougher. Edler at point had an offensive game - not in his later years.

I think the Kings decided they would rather have a tough guy on the back end like they did years ago with MacDermid.

I support this move, if they play Englund almost every game.

Also, please let Akil Thomas play over Trevor Lewis. Lewis is 36 years old. The Kings have essential three second roung picks vying for a spot in JAD, Thomas, and Fagemo that they could lose on waivers and they spent a lot of time developing them.

The Kings developed Lewis about 17 years ago. His time is up.

Kings could finally show some balls with Thomas on the 4th line, Englund on the back end and PLD down the middle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Choralone

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca

100% Turcotte should’ve been traded right after Danault signing and the QB pick. Now they’d be lucky to get a 3rd back.

Trading players while they still have value and the drafting the exact same type of players constantly are the organizations biggest problems. Turcotte, Thomas, JAD, Hughes and Pinelli the 5’11-6’1 high compete character centers and the 6-6’1 defensive not overly physical dman without a ton of offense upside Anderson, Faber, Bjornfot and Kirsanov. The scouting department definitely has a type they like.

Reactions: Herby

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Helenius is stil very young and the Kings brads have him penciled in as the 4c in 2 seasons.

There are other options for the 4th right wing…

Fagemo, Turcotte or Hodgson OR the Kings make a trade.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
I'm not good at math - what does all this mean?
Don't worry this is all crystall ball reading on a country fair.
For any reason random people in their garage developed models including expectations to calculate stats that in no way mirror reality.
As example, his model ranks Tarasenko and Barkov over McDavid and Kakko over Mathew Tkatchuk and my absolute favorite, Cherepanov despite dead over Rasmus Dalin

You also don't need anything else than an eye test to see that Thomas won't be an NHL'er and Helenius has a fringe chance to become a 4th line center.

BTW, those are the same guys who calculated that Kempe won't be a full time NHL'er just for perception.
With all their fantastic work and contribution, Patrick Bacon has whopping 215 followers and for any reason i don't understand no job at the NHL or any TV station.
Also the fact that all sites using this stats will ask for a subscription is another red flag.

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The sample size with Thomas is meaningless as he‘s lost most of the last 2 seasons. Before re injury he looked a decent bet for a cup of coffee in LA.
I always appreciate your optimism Statto :)

But it doesn't take a complicated analytics formula to see Thomas has a pretty low probability of becoming a regular NHLer. 1-in-10 seems reasonable to me, but it may be a bit higher.

Helenius is stil very young and the Kings brads have him penciled in as the 4c in 2 seasons.
It would be awesome if he pans out, but chances are low. If he's going to be an NHLer, we'll probably need to see a big step forward from him this year.

There are other options for the 4th right wing…

Fagemo, Turcotte or Hodgson OR the Kings make a trade.
It will likely be a late season trade IMO.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Anyone that's watched a healthy Thomas wouldn't be putting him at 1-in-10 to being an NHLer at all.

He's got a diverse enough skillset that he can carve out a career as a bottom sixer if his offensive development doesn't pan out (and it looks like it just may be running out of time on that end), think Trevor Lewis.

Now if you say he's redundant or injuries have robbed him, I'd say the jury's out. But washing him over how he performed when needing literal surgery on both shoulders? Pissweak.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Anyone that's watched a healthy Thomas wouldn't be putting him at 1-in-10 to being an NHLer at all.
I would.

But I think it depends on how we define "NHLer". I think my standard might be a bit higher.

If find the injury argument a bit weak because you could just easily argue why it reduces his probabilities of becoming a NHLer.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I just don't think you need analytics to point out that a 2nd-round pick with persistent injuries the last few seasons has a low probability of NHL staying power.

Especially when analytics doesn't quantify the contributions of energy players as well as others.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I always appreciate your optimism Statto :)

But it doesn't take a complicated analytics formula to see Thomas has a pretty low probability of becoming a regular NHLer. 1-in-10 seems reasonable to me, but it may be a bit higher.

It would be awesome if he pans out, but chances are low. If he's going to be an NHLer, we'll probably need to see a big step forward from him this year.

It will likely be a late season trade IMO.
Always the optimist :nod:

I agree he’s far from a lock but at the same time he’s not really had the opportunity to see what he might be able to do.

Reactions: King'sPawn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad