Speculation: LA Kings Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
He's 27, a right handed shot, can hit and fight and made the Flyers the past two seasons....Basically a right handed Lemieux minus the penalties...
“Made the flyers” isn’t exactly a measurement of success lately.

He is 27, and has yet to show the ability to play hockey at an NHL level. You’re letting a few fights shade your opinion of him rosy.

I’d rather see the corpse of Macewen brought back before we relied on Hodgson.

DoktorJeep

Fair winds and following seas Nikolai.
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Kings look healthy coming into camp. Hard to see the opportunity for both Englund and Hodson playing opening night. If past performances hold, you’re looking at just Englund. That’s probably the most management can live with when it comes to meat heads.

You can confidently ink a spot for Lewis into the lineup. So, he’s going to block both kids and fringe players who are one dimensional tweeners at this point. By virtue of salary and decent performance, Grundstrom will be penciled into the 12th forward position.

The real battle is for the suddenly scarce scratch positions. Rob Blake is quickly running out of cash to finance this rig at full capacity. He’ll likely be praying for someone to make a waiver claim on one of his multiple headaches. He’s counting on all things to break his way for his bets to pay off.

Reactions: Johnny Utah

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Changing my 4th line...

Byfield-Kopitar-Kempe
Moore-Danault-Arvidsson
Fiala-PLD-Lewis/Kayilev
Grundstrom-Lizotte-Thomas
Extra: Fagemo

I think one or both of JAD and Lewis get waived. I would rather have Fagemo and Thomas over Lewis or JAD. If the Kings are smart, they will see those young players not only deserve a shot but have more upside than the other two.

Doughty-Anderson
Roy-Gavrikov
Englund-Spence or Clarke
Extra: Bjornfot

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
They ripped his arms off and replaced them last year, injuries have been why, not talent
That, and he does seem to have the upside of things the Kings already have in spades.

Middle-six character wingers with ~45pt upside have not really been in short supply lately.

I am rooting for the kid though, love his game.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Akil is basically Jax now.

Jax Arms Cropped Edition.png
Jax Up in Arms.jpg

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
That, and he does seem to have the upside of things the Kings already have in spades.

Middle-six character wingers with ~45pt upside have not really been in short supply lately.

They should've maximized his trade value after he scored the golden goal for Canada.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Changing my 4th line...

Byfield-Kopitar-Kempe
Moore-Danault-Arvidsson
Fiala-PLD-Lewis/Kayilev
Grundstrom-Lizotte-Thomas
Extra: Fagemo

I think one or both of JAD and Lewis get waived. I would rather have Fagemo and Thomas over Lewis or JAD. If the Kings are smart, they will see those young players not only deserve a shot but have more upside than the other two.

Doughty-Anderson
Roy-Gavrikov
Englund-Spence or Clarke
Extra: Bjornfot
Lewis will not be waved. If Kings management thought there was a player in the system that could be a penalty killer then Lewis wouldn't be signed.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

Actually he’s also openly talked about his shoulder issues are why he doesn’t fight. He said on his podcast after the first 2 surgeries that he was looking forward to being able to do so. There’s lots of if’s around Akil but he may well bring that little extra grit with him. He certainly showed signs of that before his shoulder was re-injured

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Actually he’s also openly talked about his shoulder issues are why he doesn’t fight. He said on his podcast after the first 2 surgeries that he was looking forward to being able to do so. There’s lots of if’s around Akil but he may well bring that little extra grit with him. He certainly showed signs of that before his shoulder was re-injured

Kings could use AK - we need bigger players with grit. Besides Helenius, not many prospects play like him.

Turcotte, Laferriere, Chromiak, and Fagemo are the next batch of prospects likely to take the next step. Though, none play like AK. Pinelli has some grit to this game also.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Has anyone seen Byfield? I’m hoping he looks bigger. Feel like so much of this upcoming season has to do with his growth. If this dude didn’t put on some muscle…

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Did the Kings ever fire those morons who allowed Arvidsson and Fiala come back when they were clearly injured still? f*** those guys. Haven’t seen player health negligence like that in a very long time.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Englund was signed for two years to scare any potential waiver claims away. He’ll be in Ontario. Hodgson is a nobody. He’ll be in Ontario. Thomas needs to put together a solid year in the A before he’s considered for a call up. Injuries have allowed others to pass him by.

Byfield-Kopitar-Kempe
Moore-Danault-Arvidsson
Fiala-PLD-Kaliyev
Grundstrom-Lizotte-Lewis
JAD

Is the roster I think most logical folks expect provided there are no injuries.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Englund was signed for two years to scare any potential waiver claims away. He’ll be in Ontario.
Maybe, but I wouldn't be so sure.

TMac doesn't really seem to like Bjornfot, and Englund brings attributes Tobias doesn't. Spence and Clarke are both right shots.

I think there's a decent chance Englund will be the bottom pairing LHD opening night. He played 47 NHL games last year. That's more than Clarke, Spence and Bjornfot combined.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Maybe, but I wouldn't be so sure.

TMac doesn't really seem to like Bjornfot, and Englund brings attributes Tobias doesn't. Spence and Clarke are both right shots.

I think there's a decent chance Englund will be the bottom pairing LHD opening night. He played 47 NHL games last year. That's more than Clarke, Spence and Bjornfot combined.
Englund cannot play hockey well enough to justify dressing him as a regular defenseman.

So, yeah, Todd is probably gonna play the ever living shit outta the guy.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Going to miss Durzi thrown on the ice in the last minute of tie games. That really got the adrenaline pumping.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Fp7mPOqX0AMhuVm

Englund is better than people think. He was a good signing IMO. He has good defensive impact. Had extremely low OZ start %, but still didn't give up too many goals.

He makes a lot of sense paired with Clarke on the bottom D pair IMO.

Anderson-Doughty
Gavrikov-Roy
Englund-Clarke

That will be the defense opening night IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad