Speculation: LA Kings Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I’ll book mark this.

Are you okay? I was always heavily Stutzle by a mile. If you’re quoting me I’ve rationalized why people would want Byfield because of the unicorn potential he has of being tall fast and talented.

I said repeatedly that Stutzle was the much better pick before draft days because there was more Stutzle style players and nearly zero Byfield types. And to add to that at no point have i ever thought that Byfield was close to his skill level. And I watched a lot of videos. It was always a risky gamble which is why I hated the Byfield pick. I did rationalize why people would want him, didn’t say i agreed with the logic at all.

I know your entire trope is loosely based upon trying to appear smart but it never works so give it rest bro.

No you didn't, you repeatedly called it 50/50, I'm assuming for exact moments like this and you think no one will call you on your BS....

You 100% leaned towards Stutzle, but not heavily....not repeatedly the much better pick....below are all quotes from you, show me where you always heavily on Stultze

Sol

Todd's right hand man​

Jun 30, 201720,51615,854
Welcome to the party haha...that's why for a lot of us from like January till even now it's possible to flip flop day after day. Really really tight race, equally elite prospects, yet so different.
I think that's where I'm pretty confused about. Everyone has a different opinion about what the team needs and at the same time people think a certain factor is the solution while another finds it in Stutzle. It's just a shot in the dark because they're different players.

Byfield fits the Kings old archetype and Stutzle fits the new Kings vision.

So I feel like for Kings fan especially it comes down to which route they'd want to go.

Again I'd be happy with either. But f*** man, lol. Most I've been invested in a draft in a long time. These guys are incomparable which makes comparing them feel useless. It's just preference at this point.

Sol

Todd's right hand man​

Jun 30, 201720,51615,854
I am stupefied by the amount of support of QB. Having seen him play in person a few times this year and watched adv sc isolated vids of him I think that there is a possibility that he becomes a solid top 6 player but there is also a possibility that he could bust as well. If he grows two more inches witch is very possible based on his past 4 years of growth spurts he would be the only 6'6" forward in NHL history to be a first line center with any actual value. He could stop growing or maybe only grow 1" over the next 4 years and that would cause a ton of concern for his ability to be a highly effective foward. IF we were drafting 4th of 5st I could see taking a flier on him but at 2nd there are 3 truly elite level forwards available who are very likely to become highly effective at their positions.

I believe we should be discussing which of Stutzle, a player that the team is very familiar with and has been following closely for the past two years or Lucas Raymond, a player with explosive skating hands and gifted vision (he also plays a dead solid two way game) and finally Marco Rossi who in comparison to QB has outperformed his rivals in each of the past 3 seasons in both offensive and defensive metrics. Any of those 3 players would give us a ton of needed certainty of drafting a 1st line player with the number two pick. Of course anything can happen with anyone and QB could and should develop into a solid top 6 player but he is a bigger gamble than the other 3 so why make him our target. Take a long look at his metrics and not simply his highlight reals and you will see a big guy with gifted vision who plays a soft game. When pressed to play a two way game he just comes up short. His size makes his reach long enough to get him out of trouble but his two way game is average at best and he plays like he is less than 6' tall. I like him and will love having him on our team if we take him but I will be holding my breath hoping he develops into the player that a few pundits and most here think he will become. I would say that his absolute upside is one of Turcotte or maybe a hybrid of him and Villardi which would be excellent but that is at his best where each of the 3 players mentioned look to have a higher ceiling. Who knows anyway but geez the overwhelming support for QB is simply baffling to me. We haven't sniffed the 2nd overall pick since 08 when we picked up DD. Seems like we drop 3 every year and get good but not great players. I don't want to gamble, I want player certainty but that is just me.

I kinda feel this way too. I feel QB has this bust potential for whatever reason. I just have a hard time thinking he will have the compete for the NHL. I hear lots of his compete levels that come into question which makes me doubt him. At the same time the praise Stuzle gets for his compete level is crazy.

I think it's a blessing and a curse to have two players so neck and neck. I wish there was an easy choice at 2 but there isn't. I don't think you can go wrong with either based on resume but there's just something about Byfield that I don't like.

If Stutzle could improve his shot he'd be my easy number 2.

Also, Byfields stats for someone with compete level questionability is insane. If that's him dragging ass at times then a competitive Byfield would be crazy.

At the moment though Stutzle seems like he can make the jump into the NHL next season

Reactions:ru4reals

Sol

Todd's right hand man​

Jun 30, 201720,51615,854
Well, one thing is for sure and Blake has mentioned this already, that because of the delay in everything they can watch every single game Byfield and Stutzle and potentially others have played in last season. All we're seeing for the most part are highlight videos that have been regurgitated. Although we enjoy and appreciate these video scouting reports, I doubt these folks have watched and broken down video of much more than a handful of games for each prospect. The Kings staff are going to be watching every shift, so I'm pretty comfortable in the notion that they'll have much more information and opportunity for evaluation than we're getting from the YouTube scouts. Don't get me wrong, I love those guys and what they do for essentially free, but they're not working with a full deck of cards like pro scouts are. Regardless, I trust Yannetti and company on whoever their selection is. I hope it's Byfield. Hell, I hope the season gets cancelled so we can have the draft sooner.
For sure. I've just been paying a close attention to a lot of videos about the two since I'm very interested in this years draft as you can imagine lol.

There is a lot of great content and I personally don't think there's a "better" option as of right now in number 2. I'm just curious to see what kind of player the Kings are looking for. Knowing the Kings it's going to be the Byfield archetype. Great player but I'd rather have someone dynamic on the ice which I think stutzle is.

I hear and read a lot about "ceilings" for players which I think are usually irrelevant since they are usually pretty off. People say Byfield has a higher ceiling than stutzle but that means nothing to me to be honest. I've seen the Kings go for "ceiling" players who weren't too impressive at the time and nothing came of it.

Reactions:Rorschach

Sol

Todd's right hand man​

Jun 30, 201720,51615,854
Just watching Stutzle again, man.. This guy is a master in tight spaces. If this guys shot gets better, man oh man.

I watch Byfield play and his goals are so much off the transition that it makes me worry about his production in the NHL.

This is a real tough choice. Think the Kings need a player as agile as this. The Kings are so well known for having straight line players and Byfield is a straight line skater with OK agility. Stutzles agility is insane.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I was a lot more passionate about wanting Stutzle because I said many times that Byfield had too many issues with his game translating into the NHL. I said many times that his game was heavily revolving around odd man rushes and I also said often that his straight line skating was fine but he didn’t have any real agility to move around players like Stutzle.

I was arguing with people often especially RJ because I didn’t see anything special with Byfield besides him supposedly having a good shot and good speed. There wasn’t much promise to him. And all those issues are still in his game big time with now his shot being ass too.
I agree that’s how you assessed it but the rush thing I completely disagree with, simply because it was something over focused on in the limited footage that circulated on most draft assessments on line
posted by self appointed ‘experts’. A deeper dive showed far more nuance to his game in the OHL, playing from deep, controlling the ozone etc. Remember he was on a poor team in the OHL and they often relied on QB driving breakouts from deep and everything going through him.

Ironically I think it’s the bit of his game (rush and direct play) that he’s struggled with. It’s also why I think when he’s fully comfortable that he’ll break out, because he’s trying too hard in the other areas. He’s moved too far away from his strengths (he’s been asked to focus elsewhere) and is holding his stick too tight when he shoots. Once he fully relaxes he’ll be fine… I think (hope?). TMac just needs to let him go play without thinking he’s on a short leash… it’s where I think he’s been developed badly.

Reactions: Sol and King'sPawn

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
I agree that’s how you assessed it but the rush thing I completely disagree with, simply because it was something over focused on in the limited footage that circulated on most draft assessments on line
posted by self appointed ‘experts’. A deeper dive showed far more nuance to his game in the OHL, playing from deep, controlling the ozone etc. Remember he was on a poor team in the OHL and they often relied on QB driving breakouts from deep and everything going through him.

Ironically I think it’s the bit of his game (rush and direct play) that he’s struggled with. It’s also why I think when he’s fully comfortable that he’ll break out, because he’s trying too hard in the other areas. He’s moved too far away from his strengths (he’s been asked to focus elsewhere) and is holding his stick too tight when he shoots. Once he fully relaxes he’ll be fine… I think (hope?). TMac just needs to let him go play without thinking he’s on a short leash… it’s where I think he’s been developed badly.
That is exactly the crux of the argument against the current development process by the Blake regime.

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
if you listen or read the Glenn Murray interviews they are always talking about developing the other parts of our prospects games , even mentioned Clarke in one where they have to etc etc etc , if they f*** up Clarke by making him think out there instead of play/react his normal game we will be in the black hole forever with this regime

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

While with context what you say could be true I still don’t think that negates the fact that most of QBs best moments were him cherry picking or of him being high up on the play. I think he’s struggling for example because he’s not able to play that kind of game here because the defense in the NHL is a lot better than what he’s used to. That’s why I didn’t think his game would translate well into the NHL and it really hasn’t.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
This season, no. But he has trained with McDavid and Roberts in previous years. So, even if not with them this year, he has the resources.

How much junior hockey do you watch? What percentage of goals do you think aren't scored off the rush or on the powerplay?

I’ll book mark this.

Are you okay? I was always heavily Stutzle by a mile. If you’re quoting me I’ve rationalized why people would want Byfield because of the unicorn potential he has of being tall fast and talented.

I said repeatedly that Stutzle was the much better pick before draft days because there was more Stutzle style players and nearly zero Byfield types. And to add to that at no point have i ever thought that Byfield was close to his skill level. And I watched a lot of videos. It was always a risky gamble which is why I hated the Byfield pick. I did rationalize why people would want him, didn’t say i agreed with the logic at all.

I know your entire trope is loosely based upon trying to appear smart but it never works so give it rest bro.
Looks like GBH trained you lickety split.
I would bookmark your stuff under a file called Bidenomics

• Wow
Reactions: Sol

dman3474

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
Anyone have a date when rookie camp officially starts? Or regular camp? I am guessing the league is going to let them soon because they have to travel to Australia

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I will be in Vegas for the rookie camp tourney starting September 15th. Kings play Friday, Saturday and Monday games.
Please bring your phone and livestream the games.
The same goes for regular season home games.
Oh and if you could shadow them to australia and the regular season road games for the same.
thanks!

Are you okay? Lol what the hell.
Wait wasn't GBH just asking you above if you were ok?
Looks like you mimic his moves evermore.
Your fanficking out!

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Utah

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
I know Nick is going to be calling the games on TV now, but does anybody know where they are being broadcast? Don't know if I missed it, but I thought we'd have heard something by now.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
I know Nick is going to be calling the games on TV now, but does anybody know where they are being broadcast? Don't know if I missed it, but I thought we'd have heard something by now.
Not yet, it seems: 16 LA Kings games to be featured as a part of NHL's national broadcast schedule - LA Kings Insider

With regards to the local deal, continued patience is required here, at least in the interim. One of many announcements that will come for us all here in the coming days, weeks, alongside further information on what to expect from the new-look broadcast team, training camp schedules, training camp rosters and more.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
"Additionally, the Kings will have three games that will be broadcast on TNT out of market, but will be shown by the to-be-announced local rightsholder in the Los Angeles market."

Looks like they got someone.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
"Additionally, the Kings will have three games that will be broadcast on TNT out of market, but will be shown by the to-be-announced local rightsholder in the Los Angeles market."

Looks like they got someone.

October

10/11/23 - COL @ LAK (TNT)
10/31/23 - LAK @ TOR (ESPN)

November
11/8/23 - LAK @ VGK (TNT)

December
12/19/23 - LAK @ SJS (ESPN+, HULU)
12/20/23 - SEA @ LAK (TNT*)

January
1/2/24 - TOR @ LAK (ESPN+, HULU)
1/16/24 - LAK @ DAL (ESPN+, HULU)
1/18/24 - NSH @ LAK (ESPN)
1/31/24 - LAK @ NSH (TNT*)

February
2/22/24 - NSH @ LAK (ESPN+, HULU)

March
3/3/24 - NJD @ LAK (TNT)
3/13/24 - LAK @ STL (TNT*)
3/20/24 - MIN @ LAK (TNT)

April
4/3/24 - SEA @ LAK (TNT)
4/4/24 - LAK @ SJS (ESPN+, HULU)
4/15/24 - MIN @ LAK (ESPN)

Strange, no national games vs the Ducks. 3 games vs Nashville too.

Last edited:

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
October

10/11/23 - COL @ LAK (TNT)
10/31/23 - LAK @ TOR (ESPN)

November
11/8/23 - LAK @ VGK (TNT)

December
12/19/23 - LAK @ SJS (ESPN+, HULU)
12/20/23 - SEA @ LAK (TNT*)

January
1/2/24 - TOR @ LAK (ESPN+, HULU)
1/16/24 - LAK @ DAL (ESPN+, HULU)
1/18/24 - NSH @ LAK (ESPN)
1/31/24 - LAK @ NSH (TNT*)

February
2/22/24 - NSH @ LAK (ESPN+, HULU)

March
3/3/24 - NJD @ LAK (TNT)
3/13/24 - LAK @ STL (TNT*)
3/20/24 - MIN @ LAK (TNT)

April
4/3/24 - SEA @ LAK (TNT)
4/4/24 - LAK @ SJS (ESPN+, HULU)
4/15/24 - MIN @ LAK (ESPN)

Strange, no national games vs the Ducks. 3 games vs Nashville too.
the three nashville games are more surprising to me than the lack of duck games.

Reactions: kingsfan28

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
At least the Ducks want to play tough. Verbeek remembers what league he played in.

Blake thinks he played in the Euro figure skating league.

Even if I don't think Kassian should have been picked up I agree with you here, Verbeek is at least showing some vision, 'you can't f*** with our kids,' plus let's not forget Verbeek was the little ball of hate, I imagine he absolutely loves Zegras being a bit ratty.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Even if I don't think Kassian should have been picked up I agree with you here, Verbeek is at least showing some vision, 'you can't f*** with our kids,' plus let's not forget Verbeek was the little ball of hate, I imagine he absolutely loves Zegras being a bit ratty.
I would agree with this.
Also if you are going to be shit you should be entertaining in other ways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad