Status
Not open for further replies.

DAkings20

Kings can't score
Dec 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
that toff in the flames red? well i guess its devils red now

guy next to him looks like a canes kit? struggling to figure out who that is

Yeah TT is in Devils gear. I had to look up the Canes player, pretty sure it’s Dylan Coghlan. There was also 2 guys in Pens gear and 1 in Blackhawks gear, think they were all AHL guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: tny760

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I remember it as you leaning Stutzle more but not being super passionate, like, you weren't upset with picking Byfield.

There weren't a lot of Stutzle or bust posters and there definitely weren't many--if any at all--that had Byfield as a wing. Hell, part of the tiebreaker between the two guys was that Stutzle projected as a wing so the position value tipped towards Byfield.
I was a lot more passionate about wanting Stutzle because I said many times that Byfield had too many issues with his game translating into the NHL. I said many times that his game was heavily revolving around odd man rushes and I also said often that his straight line skating was fine but he didn’t have any real agility to move around players like Stutzle.

I was arguing with people often especially RJ because I didn’t see anything special with Byfield besides him supposedly having a good shot and good speed. There wasn’t much promise to him. And all those issues are still in his game big time with now his shot being ass too.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Comments indicate this is where selective memory, projection and megalomania collide in one man's overstuffed closet.
Sorry but GBH has the receipts.
Wow Cacoon is bald?
Which comments? I always heavily favored Stutzle. GBH couldn’t find a pumpkin in a pumpkin patch so I would hop off of him if I was you.

The only time I was kinder to the Byfield pick was when my anger subsided for the pick and then it was me just hoping he doesn’t suck as much as I expect him to. And hoping to be wrong about him. But here we are. Whatever I said about my concerns about byfield are still very apparent now and my uncontested want for Stutzle have been proven.

You wiping out too much on the rocks when surfing ay lol

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Which comments? I always heavily favored Stutzle. GBH couldn’t find a pumpkin in a pumpkin patch so I would hop off of him if I was you.

The only time I was kinder to the Byfield pick was when my anger subsided for the pick and then it was me just hoping he doesn’t suck as much as I expect him to. And hoping to be wrong about him. But here we are. Whatever I said about my concerns about byfield are still very apparent now and my uncontested want for Stutzle have been proven.

Most all of your comments.
GBH is a lot more objective than the Blake derangement funny farm.
Byfield broke out last year even though his point total could be better.
He was on one of the best lines, GF%, in NHL.
Stutzle had been gifted top minutes on a crappy team and not made to learn how to play on both sides of the puck.
Kempe, Vilardi and byfield.
Kings development pays off in the long run .
Its just like the very good argument made above about McDavid.
Winning cups is what matters most

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I was heavily pro Byfield, but I'm also one of the few blind optimists on this board so I am not yet ready to yield. :laugh:

I've also managed to avoid the seething blood feuds that have developed between some posters despite my 15 years here somehow, so it's not as damaging to admit by preference for QB back then. :laugh:

Reactions: King'sPawn

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Stutzle had been gifted top minutes on a crappy team and not made to learn how to play on both sides of the puck.
GBH is the same guy who uses playing NHL 2007 Be A GM mode as the foundation of his “knowledgeable” opinions.

Byfield had 3 goals on the back of Kopitar. Byfield hasn’t broken out. He has to this year. And not one person worth their salt here would tell you that in a redraft they’d still pick Byfield. Not ONE person.

psych3man

Dec 17, 2019
Outside Chicago
Quinton Byfield had 20 even strength points in 52 games, despite...
A 4% shooting pct. on only 1.4 shots per game.
Only 2 of his 23 points were on the PP.
This was his production while playing hesitant, deferring to the other 2 line mates, and with horrible luck when he did shoot.
He will be much improved, especially if he stops deferring and starts using his skills and shoots the way he is gifted.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
This was his production while playing hesitant, deferring to the other 2 line mates, and with horrible luck when he did shoot.
He will be much improved, especially if he stops deferring and starts using his skills and shoots the way he is gifted.
I expect at least 15+ goals from Byfield this season. Offseason is best used for developing individual skills, because they can dedicate countless hours specifically to it.

ibleedkings

Rob Fake
Jul 19, 2004
Santa Clarita
I was heckled on here big time when I said a lot of QB’s goals came off the rush and I didn’t think it would translate well in the NHL. I remember that got Ziggy’s panties in a bunch and he had to tell me how wrong I was lol.

Was never on the Byfield train, not even a fraction of a percent. Was 100% Stutzle or bust. Was sick to my stomach after they selected him and it’s only gotten worse.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
GBH is the same guy who uses playing NHL 2007 Be A GM mode as the foundation of his “knowledgeable” opinions.

Byfield had 3 goals on the back of Kopitar. Byfield hasn’t broken out. He has to this year. And not one person worth their salt here would tell you that in a redraft they’d still pick Byfield. Not ONE person.
Right now maybe but it could be a different story eventually.
Semantics. he was on the # 1 line which broke out when he joined.
He will probably return to that line ,which would indicate Byfield continuing to improve.
Size only became more important after last season and we have it in Q.
Having Stutzle in his place would make the Kings a lot smaller.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
There were some learning moments big time.
But I liked his forecheck , puck retrival and board play a times.
Oh and he made some phenomenal passes.
Early on he had some that were so deft, Kopi reacted too late on high percentage opportunities.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
That’s the thing though. Not to dredge up the whole Byfield is a bust talks again but you can make similiar arguments about a lot of players. “Just win “ it’s not as simple as him being more confident. Just as it’s not as simple as Petersen being more confident. Byfield plays an extremely timid game and sure it’d help him a lot if he didn’t but that doesn’t mean that he exactly could.
I was heckled on here big time when I said a lot of QB’s goals came off the rush and I didn’t think it would translate well in the NHL. I remember that got Ziggy’s panties in a bunch and he had to tell me how wrong I was lol.

Was never on the Byfield train, not even a fraction of a percent. Was 100% Stutzle or bust. Was sick to my stomach after they selected him and it’s only gotten worse.
Yeah Byfields game has never been extremely impressive to me at all. Even international play on Canada he looked bad. I can understand swinging for the fences on a 6’5 somewhat fast center. But yeah I felt at the time to you shouldn’t be taking hit or miss chances at 2nd overall where Stutzle seemed to be much more of a certainty than him.
Right now maybe but it could be a different story eventually.
Semantics. he was on the # 1 line which broke out when he joined.
He will probably return to that line ,which would indicate Byfield continuing to improve.
Size only became more important after last season and we have it in Q.
Having Stutzle in his place would make the Kings a lot smaller.
You’re bringing up size like Byfield uses it. Lizzo through his weight around far more than Byfield did. I appreciate the mental gymnastics. Truly blind homerism is cute from afar. But yeah no one on here would take Byfield in a re-draft.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
You would think after watching years of two way dominance people would get it but no

Guys like (prime obviously) Kopitar and Toews > McDavid because even though they were 'only' putting up 70, they were winning that matchup. They turn your 100 point scoring horse into a 50 point guy on the wrong side of the possession battle and put your other guys in positions to succeed. Think of a guy like Doughty taking the #1PK minutes for example, do you think Matt Greene is nearly as successful if he's the #1 PK guy and playing 2nd pairing competition and minutes? These are the kind of guys who win because they also set up their teammates to win easier matchups and eat easier minutes by 'winning' their matchups in far less sexy, flashy manners.

Meanwhile you have the McDavids and Karlssons who get every alibi under the sun because they score a lot of points with 70% ozone deployment and no PK time and then you wonder why their team's versions of Matt Greene et. al. get buried when they start every shift in the ozone vs. the toughest competition. THey set up themselves to succeed and their teams to fail. Score a lot of points though.

It's the Yzerman story all over again, people are just too blinded by flash to notice.
It’s one of my biggest wishes in life, to see that prime 2012 Kopitar/Richards combo run the gauntlet against McDrai on matchups.

It would be a thing of unparalleled beauty.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
That’s the thing though. Not to dredge up the whole Byfield is a bust talks again but you can make similiar arguments about a lot of players. “Just win “ it’s not as simple as him being more confident. Just as it’s not as simple as Petersen being more confident. Byfield plays an extremely timid game and sure it’d help him a lot if he didn’t but that doesn’t mean that he exactly could.

Yeah Byfields game has never been extremely impressive to me at all. Even international play on Canada he looked bad. I can understand swinging for the fences on a 6’5 somewhat fast center. But yeah I felt at the time to you shouldn’t be taking hit or miss chances at 2nd overall where Stutzle seemed to be much more of a certainty than him.

You’re bringing up size like Byfield uses it. Lizzo through his weight around far more than Byfield did. I appreciate the mental gymnastics. Truly blind homerism is cute from afar. But yeah no one on here would take Byfield in a re-draft.
Byfield has never been one to throw his weight around and after injuries to him, Turcotte and Vilardi, its not what the Kings want their top prospects to do.
By now they probably have told the upper echelon to not get hurt.
Size is used on offensive and defense in many matters from stickplay to puck protection.
I pretty much want Byfield to do exactly what he did last year except find some more quiet ice and shoot better.
Pigeon hole me with whatever description you want, I don't care.
Byfields will show you up before all is said and done.
But you will probably just shift your line of criticism.

Last edited:

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
You realize Stutzle was playing on the PK in Ottawa this season. I think he knows how to play both sides of the puck.

This is an important year for Byfield. Really want to see some intensity out of him. He has a notch we haven’t seen.

Reactions: Schrute farms

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Have you heard what he has been doing this summer?
Training on what with who?
This season, no. But he has trained with McDavid and Roberts in previous years. So, even if not with them this year, he has the resources.

How much junior hockey do you watch? What percentage of goals do you think aren't scored off the rush or on the powerplay?

Reactions: tbrown33

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

I literally copied and pasted your post, where you literally said, it was more poster preference, than anything, Byfield being old King value, Stutzle being new King value etc....

You never publicly heavily favored Stutzle, you were heavily...on the fence.

3 years later now, you are like, see, I told you Stutzle was the pick....too bad you weren't that confident before.

I expect at least 15+ goals from Byfield this season. Offseason is best used for developing individual skills, because they can dedicate countless hours specifically to it.

Hopefully that's the case, because barring major injury, he has to show something consistently ....or he's gonna be in Griffin Reinhart territory

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Byfield has never been one to throw his weight around and after injuries to him, Turcotte and Vilardi, its not what the Kings want their top prospects to do.
By now they probably have told the upper echelon to not get hurt.
Size is used on offensive and defense in many matters from stickplay to puck protection.
I pretty much want Byfield to do exactly what he did last year except find some more quiet ice and shoot better.
Pigeon hole me with whatever description you want. you want, I don't care.
Byfields will show you up before all is said and done.
But you will probably just shift your line of criticism.
I’ll book mark this.

I literally copied and pasted your post, where you literally said, it was more poster preference, than anything, Byfield being old King value, Stutzle being new King value etc....

You never publicly heavily favored Stutzle, you were heavily...on the fence.

3 years later now, you are like, see, I told you Stutzle was the pick....too bad you weren't that confident before.

Hopefully that's the case, because barring major injury, he has to show something consistently ....or he's gonna be in Griffin Reinhart territory
Are you okay? I was always heavily Stutzle by a mile. If you’re quoting me I’ve rationalized why people would want Byfield because of the unicorn potential he has of being tall fast and talented.

I said repeatedly that Stutzle was the much better pick before draft days because there was more Stutzle style players and nearly zero Byfield types. And to add to that at no point have i ever thought that Byfield was close to his skill level. And I watched a lot of videos. It was always a risky gamble which is why I hated the Byfield pick. I did rationalize why people would want him, didn’t say i agreed with the logic at all.

I know your entire trope is loosely based upon trying to appear smart but it never works so give it rest bro.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Lt Dan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad