Speculation: LA Kings Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
He does punk our team but that just highlights our deficiencies. As soon as he plays against a team at an equal or higher level in the play/offs he does struggle to adapt his game. He doesn’t find something extra and continues to cheat offensively which he doesn’t need to do. It’s not just about points.

I’ve said this for a few years so it’s not sour grapes. He is the best player in the NHL but he sure as hell hasn’t cemented generational status… people throw that term around way too easily. The 1st round exit the Oilers had against a lower seeded Winnipeg is the highlight. He couldn’t lift his team over the hump in a series they should have won.

Not involved in the main debate, or what you replied to, but it irritates me that McDavid gets bestowed with a status he hasn’t earned. His priority is points not wins… I was excited to see him play live last year (April) in MN and I came away very disappointed. Cheating frequently and refusing to go to the hard areas. Kiprosov on the night was easily the best player on the ice. Once he got a point he seemingly quit and only worked on the pp as it was… same with Drai.

As I say, I don’t dispute he’s the best player currently. Anyway…
I don’t get it. He’s all world offensively, GOOD defensively and bust his ass each night. He plays a hard game and doesn’t run like so many other great players. How is that not a winning brand of hockey?

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
You’re implying that one man wins a cup?
I’m implying that the leadership of a team dictates how that team responds to adversity in tight games. Part of the reason the Kings have done squat in the post season since Greene/Stoll/Richards/Mitchell/Regher/Williams have departed.

That oilers team steamrolls the Kings on talent (and coaching) disparity, and folds like a house of cards when they are up against it with a solid contender.

It’s all about points & flash for them, and it starts from the top. They played the same loose & fast style against Vegas as they did against the Kings, and it’ll never be enough unless they make a philosophical change of how they approach the game.

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
I’m implying that the leadership of a team dictates how that team responds to adversity in tight games. Part of the reason the Kings have done squat in the post season since Greene/Stoll/Richards/Mitchell/Regher/Williams have departed.

That oilers team steamrolls the Kings on talent (and coaching) disparity, and folds like a house of cards when they are up against it with a solid contender.

It’s all about points & flash for them, and it starts from the top. They played the same loose & fast style against Vegas as they did against the Kings, and it’ll never be enough unless they make a philosophical change of how they approach the game.
Edmonton is absolute rubbish outside of that top line. How many important minutes does McD have to play for the Oilers to win?

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Edmonton is absolute rubbish outside of that top line. How many important minutes does McD have to play for the Oilers to win?
The quantity of minutes is fine, but the lack of commitment on the defensive side of the puck, absence of stops & starts in the D-Zone, and general “floating” high for fast breaks trickles down the roster.

A little more show of commitment to the mucking side of the game from their stars would go miles for that team.

Reactions: Statto

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
In what twisted universe does a defensively sound .5ppg winger ever sign for 2M?
In what universe is a top winger scoring under 20 goals asking for more than $2mill.
He can kiss his surfing lifestyle goodbye and start dog sledding because of his outrageous ask.
Moore is the next one

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Again you guys amaze me by continuing to put stock in Sol's player evaluations,

He hasn't been right ONCE in his however many years of being here, not once has he been dead on, with a player evaluation.

Wasn’t Sol a big Stutzle guy going into the 2020 draft? Or do I have him mistaken for someone else?

Reactions: Sol

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Wasn’t Sol a big Stutzle guy going into the 2020 draft? Or do I have him mistaken for someone else?
Although Stutzle has the prize now lets wait and see over the Course of their careers and their teams success.

Hopefully the little fellow will be the bellweather of bad calls yet again.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I don’t get it. He’s all world offensively, GOOD defensively and bust his ass each night. He plays a hard game and doesn’t run like so many other great players. How is that not a winning brand of hockey?
As I said he’s good. Just not generational. He won’t pay the price to win.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Yeah I wanted Stutzle instead of Byfield by a very wide margin. I don’t know what GBH is crying about. I’ve been right more times than not.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Nonsene. You can go back and read the threads yourself. He had been terrible in the season leading up to the expansion draft and most people couldn't wait to get rid of him.
Right, he was having a down year after a broken bone. What is important is projecting forward to what they could become in the future.

Carry a Top 4 pair
Forbort nope
McNabb nope

Average top 4 defender (Martinez on the right)
Forbort average chance
McNabb slightly below Forbort

Physical 3rd pairing guy, clearing crease
Forbort nope
McNabb high chance

Forbort at best was looking to be an average top 4 defender. Those are somewhat easy to come by.

King's needed to fill a physical role on the D for 6 years now? That physical D should be easy to replace, but in the modern day NHL the physical D that aren't MacDermid level bad are getting hard to find. (I'd still bring MacD back for fun). Look at the current D, average to good defenders vs physical defenders.

Also, some people on here would trade Doughty, so siting opinions as proof may not be the best strategy. (Goes back and scrubs comments about trading Doughty to get him off the PP) :laugh:

Never in my life would I expect people to be looking back at McNabb of all players with rose colored glasses. He sucked then and maybe slightly improved now. He still isn’t good.
Aren't we always complaining about the King's being team Lady Byng? Wish we had some toughness.

That Bishop trade really worked out too.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Right, he was having a down year after a broken bone. What is important is projecting forward to what they could become in the future.

Carry a Top 4 pair
Forbort nope
McNabb nope

Average top 4 defender (Martinez on the right)
Forbort average chance
McNabb slightly below Forbort

Physical 3rd pairing guy, clearing crease
Forbort nope
McNabb high chance

Forbort at best was looking to be an average top 4 defender. Those are somewhat easy to come by.

King's needed to fill a physical role on the D for 6 years now? That physical D should be easy to replace, but in the modern day NHL the physical D that aren't MacDermid level bad are getting hard to find. (I'd still bring MacD back for fun). Look at the current D, average to good defenders vs physical defenders.

Also, some people on here would trade Doughty, so siting opinions as proof may not be the best strategy. (Goes back and scrubs comments about trading Doughty to get him off the PP) :laugh:

Aren't we always complaining about the King's being team Lady Byng? Wish we had some toughness.

That Bishop trade really worked out too.
I’m for toughness at a slight cost of skill.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Changing the subject here a bit. Next year Kings have Byfield penciled in on the top line wing.

That leaves Kopitar, Danault, PLD and Lizotte as the centers. Listed below is how much term they have.

Kopitar - 3 more seasons.
Danault - 4 more seasons.
PLD - 8 seasons.
Lizotte -1 season (RFA).

Next season (2024-25) Turcotte will be waiver eligible. Also, on most interviews with Kings brass and bloggers they project that one point in the next 1-2 seasons Helenius will be the 4c.

So essentially, if you consider Byfield moving back to center at some point - 3 players vying for the one center spot next season - Byfield, Turcotte, and Helenius. Are Byfield and Turcotte 4th line centers? No, especially not Byfield.

Do the Kings consider moving Danault?

Or do the Kings consider letting Kopitar retire and keeping Turcotte and Byfield on the wing until then? That's basically two seasons after this upcoming.

I haver to imagine a team like Boston would love a Danault right about now - Cap situation not withstanding.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Well, you’ll be relieved to know that with his 4m/40pt salary moved out, he was replaced with an 8.5M/60pt salary.

f***in solid work there.
I am not relieved at all.
I'm with the other guys hating this trade.
Now we have 2 60pt centers who can't get shit done

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Changing the subject here a bit. Next year Kings have Byfield penciled in on the top line wing.

That leaves Kopitar, Danault, PLD and Lizotte as the centers. Listed below is how much term they have.

PLD - 8 seasons.
Lizotte -1 season (RFA).

Next season (2024-25) Turcotte will be waiver eligible. Also, on most interviews with Kings brass and bloggers they project that one point in the next 1-2 seasons Helenius will be the 4c.

So essentially, if you consider Byfield moving back to center at some point - 3 players vying for the one center spot next season - Byfield, Turcotte, and Helenius. Are Byfield and Turcotte 4th line centers? No, especially not Byfield.

Or do the Kings consider letting Kopitar retire and keeping Turcotte and Byfield on the wing until then? That's basically two seasons after this upcoming.

I haver to imagine a team like Boston would love a Danault right about now - Cap situation not withstanding.

If Turcotte even plays another NHL game, it’s likely on left wing.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002

PLD - 8 seasons.
Lizotte -1 season (RFA).

Turcotte to wing , really hoped he would have evolved and took Moore’s spot for a fifth the price.

Big Helenius takes over for Lizotte. No reason for a low minute forth line center making 1.6 mil a year with the center depth we have.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Pretty unlikely Helenius ever becomes an NHL regular. It would be awesome if he did though.

Lizotte is a good 4th line center, replacing him won't be as easy as people think.

Helenius reminds me a bit of Auger. People like him because of his size, but as of now he's far away from being an NHL caliber player.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Are you implying that McDavid plays loser hockey? I love how most Kings fans talk shit about him while he’s repeatedly punking our team.
McDavid plays hard, plays with passion, while doing things on the ice that we may never see again.
Lame

No dude, I am talking about the cult of McDavid that wants to anoint him among the legends of the sport already. They don't care about winning, they value highlights and skill over the sacrifices and perseverance needed to win - the things you are dead wrong about crediting him with in your post.

McDavid is a front runner whose "passion" is only visible when he thinks he has been slighted, as though his ability somehow puts him at a different level from players that have to deal with tight checking, holding, grabbing, every night too.

You don't win with players like that, and it pleases me greatly to see his fans watch him get bounced early on a yearly basis. It pisses me off that our team, that is more than capable of bouncing him even earlier, has a general manager that won't add the kinds of players or hire a coach that can beat what is really an easy opponent.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Yeah, I definitely remember him preferring Stutzle.

Not sure why GBH is focusing on it anyway. I disagree with Sol plenty (especially with Kopitar and Byfield) but he's at least consistent and willing to engage in intelligent discussion, which I respect.

I'd rather have someone disagreeable but consistent in their values than someone who piggybacks managerial decisions because they're unwilling to put themselves out there and possibly be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad