Speculation: LA Kings Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Thomas has had shoulder issues going all the way back to junior.

Him and Turcotte are in similar situations. If they're ever gonna be good NHL players, they both need to have great 23-24 seasons. Otherwise they're going to get passed by.

Alex will turn 23 this season, Akil will turn 24.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
I think Lewis is pretty much guaranteed the 4th line RW spot.

For the forwards, I think the only questions will be 3rd line RW (Fagemo or Kaliyev), and 4th line LW (Grundstrom or JAD).

I know people are going to HATE hearing this, but I could see Kaliyev in the AHL this year since he's waiver exempt.

Byfield-Kopitar-Kempe
Moore-PLD-Arvidsson
Fiala-Danault-Fagemo
Grundstrom-Lizotte-Lewis
JAD

That's my prediction for opening night if everyone is healthy.
Kaliyev being waiver exempt almost guarantees his being in ontario this season. Considering how todd and the organization has treated him already, the best thing for arthur would be if he were traded.
I am a huge kaliev fan. Kings have no idea what they have in this guy

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I think one thing people don’t realize is that bad shoulders at a young age means it will only get worse when you’re older. Bad shoulders at a young age are a sign of things to come.

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
I think Kaliyev is the odd man out. If he struggles again he'll be quickly demoted to the 4th line-press box rotation. If he breaks out he'll get Vilardi'd next summer to make way for the fat extensions for Arvidsson and Roy that you know are coming. Either way don't expect a young prospect to fill that role, it will be Lewis or a vet rental we get at the deadline.

DoktorJeep

Fair winds and following seas Nikolai.
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I’d like to see the following 5v5 lineup, but don’t expect it will happen.

Kempe Kopitar Arvidsson
Fiala Dubois Moore
Byfield Danault Kaliyev
Grundstrom Lizotte Lewis

Clarke Doughty
Gavrikov Roy
Anderson Spence

Copley
Talbot

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I’d like to see the following 5v5 lineup, but don’t expect it will happen.

Kempe Kopitar Arvidsson
Fiala Dubois Moore
Byfield Danault Kaliyev
Grundstrom Lizotte Lewis

Clarke Doughty
Gavrikov Roy
Anderson Spence

Copley
Talbot
No thanks. That line up is soft.

I love when fans forget that Vegas has Carrier, Kolesar, Hague, McNabb, the Ducks have Carrick, Gudas and possibly Kassian. The Wild have Middleton, Foligno, and now Maroon - I can keep going.

There was only four teams that had less fighting majors than the Kings and all four got bigger and tougher.

Are you going for softest team in the league now?

If Kings want to put some youth and attitude they will have this line up...

Kempe-Kopitar-Byfield
Fiala-Dubois-Thomas
Moore-Danault-Arvidsson
Grundstrom-Lizotte-Lewis

Anderson-Doughty
Gavrikov-Roy
Englund-Spence or Clarke

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan

I love when fans forget that Vegas has Carrier, Kolesar, Hague, McNabb, the Ducks have Carrick, Gudas and possibly Kassian. The Wild have Middleton, Foligno, and now Maroon - I can keep going.

There was only four teams that had less fighting majors than the Kings and all four got bigger and tougher.

Kempe-Kopitar-Byfield
Fiala-Dubois-Thomas
Moore-Danault-Arvidsson
Grundstrom-Lizotte-Lewis

Anderson-Doughty
Gavrikov-Roy
Englund-Spence or Clarke
The Kings are not playing Akil Thomas with Fiala and Dubois. Come on, let’s be realistic.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

Kempe-Kopitar-Byfield
Fiala-Dubois-Thomas
Moore-Danault-Arvidsson
Grundstrom-Lizotte-Lewis

Anderson-Doughty
Gavrikov-Roy
Englund-Spence or Clarke
Fans aren't forgetting anything. All we have is the roster Blake has assembled.

"We" aren't going for softest team in the league, Blake is.

I also don't know if you have to "go for" something that has already been accomplished.

Subbing Thomas for Kaliyev doesn't move the needle for toughness and makes the team worse at the same time.

I am all about toughness, hitting and fighting. Appreciate you carrying the torch but it just isn't happening with this roster.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Fans aren't forgetting anything. All we have is the roster Blake has assembled.

"We" aren't going for softest team in the league, Blake is.

I also don't know if you have to "go for" something that has already been accomplished.

Subbing Thomas for Kaliyev doesn't move the needle for toughness and makes the team worse at the same time.

I am all about toughness, hitting and fighting. Appreciate you carrying the torch but it just isn't happening with this roster.

Yeah I think everyone agrees/appreciates to SOME degree with what @Johnny Utah wants

But we have to unfortunately reconcile it with the reality that it's like we're asking Dairy Queen to make a tomahawk steak

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
Helenius is stil very young and the Kings brads have him penciled in as the 4c in 2 seasons.

There are other options for the 4th right wing…

Fagemo, Turcotte or Hodgson OR the Kings make a trade.

Id be shocked if Helenius became an NHL regular....skating/speed just screams AHL lifer.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
No, they would have never been able to draft a C as good as Kopitar, heck probably not one as good as PLD.
1. Blake didn't draft PLD either. Not sure why that's being used against only Lombardi.

2. Since you're arguing that PLD is better than Vilardi and that Byfield is underwhelming, Blake hasn't drafted a player "as good as" PLD either.

3. Lombardi has drafted Schenn, Simmonds, and Kempe. All are at least comprable to PLD in completeness.

It never ceases to amaze me when comments continue about Lombardi's inability to build a talented roster when he literally built a team that won two cups.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
1. Blake didn't draft PLD either. Not sure why that's being used against only Lombardi.

2. Since you're arguing that PLD is better than Vilardi and that Byfield is underwhelming, Blake hasn't drafted a player "as good as" PLD either.

3. Lombardi has drafted Schenn, Simmonds, and Kempe. All are at least comprable to PLD in completeness.

It never ceases to amaze me when comments continue about Lombardi's inability to build a talented roster when he literally built a team that won two cups.

But he could never address the issue of adding pieces to the top of the lineup, especially with forwards. He did a great job of building what he was given and he deserves a lot of credit for that, but ultimately his undoing in LA was the same reason he got fired in SJ, he didn't draft enough high end pieces, and a lot of that is because they didn't value that type of player enough, especially as the game began to evolve to a more skill bassed one. That is why the Kings despite having a HOF C, D and G in their primes could never win another playoff series after 2014. He had some bad luck with the Richards collapse which cost him two good but not top end players and the Voynov thing which cost him a 2nd pair defender. But they had their chances, if they draft Tarasenko or don't trade the pick in 2015 that would have ended up being Barzal, maybe things are different. If they take Karlsson or Carlson instead of Teubert maybe things are different.

Blake's drafting has been pretty poor too. DL did at least hit a homerun right away with his #2 pick, which counts for a lot. Both ended up taking two of the worst Top 5 picks in recent memory. Both traded 1st round picks in back to back drafts, although I think its obvious that Blake acquired much better players with his trading of picks than DL did. The Lucic trade was one of the worst trades in team history, the Sekera one not so much because 2016 was not a deep draft.

Ultimately though, since drafting Brown, Kopitar, Quick and Doughty over a period of 5 years, which were the backbone of the Kings cup teams, the team has not had much to be excited about when it comes to the draft, outside of Kempe emerging the last two years. Kempe has obviously developed into a great winger, and nothing against Kempe, but if he is the best player you draft in what has now been a 15 year period between Doughty in 2008 and now it's not going to be pretty, and it hasn't been for the Kings. The core four was great, but they needed re-enforcements, especially after the Richards and Voynov situations, and two management teams (and the same scouts) have done a pretty poor job providing that through the draft over the last 15 years. And that is why I think Blake just decided to end the rebuild and bring in veterans.

Last edited:

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Lombardi was hired in 2006 - the Kings missed the playoffs the next four seasons, made the playoffs the following two and then won the Stanley Cup. So essentially he was 3 for 7 in his first seven seasons including a Stanley Cup. That does count the next two years making the playoffs and then winning another cup.

Blake was hired in April of 2017 - the Kings missed the playoffs, then made the playoffs, then missed the playoffs for three straight years; then making the playoffs the last two. So he is 3 for 6 but no Stanley Cup yet...And this will be his seventh season as GM...

But he could never address the issue of adding pieces to the top of the lineup, especially with forwards. He did a great job of building what he was given and he deserves a lot of credit for that, but ultimately his undoing in LA was the same reason he got fired in SJ, he didn't draft enough high end pieces, and a lot of that is because they didn't value that type of player enough, especially as the game began to evolve to a more skill bassed one. That is why the Kings despite having a HOF C, D and G in their primes could never win another playoff series after 2014. He had some bad luck with the Richards collapse which cost him two good but not top end players and the Voynov thing which cost him a 2nd pair defender. But they had their chances, if they draft Tarasenko or don't trade the pick in 2015 that would have ended up being Barzal, maybe things are different. If they take Karlsson or Carlson instead of Teubert maybe things are different.

Blake's drafting has been pretty poor too. DL did at least hit a homerun right away with his #2 pick, which counts for a lot. Both ended up taking two of the worst Top 5 picks in recent memory. Both traded 1st round picks in back to back drafts, although I think its obvious that Blake acquired much better players with his trading of picks than DL did. The Lucic trade was one of the worst trades in team history, the Sekera one not so much because 2016 was not a deep draft.

Ultimately though, since drafting Brown, Kopitar, Quick and Doughty over a period of 5 years, which were the backbone of the Kings cup teams, the team has not had much to be excited about when it comes to the draft, outside of Kempe emerging the last two years. Kempe has obviously developed into a great winger, and nothing against Kempe, but if he is the best player you draft in what has now been a 15 year period between Doughty in 2008 and now it's not going to be pretty, and it hasn't been for the Kings. The core four was great, but they needed re-enforcements, especially after the Richards and Voynov situations, and two management teams (and the same scouts) have done a pretty poor job providing that through the draft over the last 15 years. And that is why I think Blake just decided to end the rebuild and bring in veterans.
Good analysis and agree with a lot BUT also note Dave Taylor drafted Dustin Brown and Anze Kopitar. So Lombardi really hit home runs with Doughty, Quick, Martinez, King, Nolan, Clifford, Lewis, Voynov and his moves including signing Mitchell and trading for Carter, Greene, Stoll, and Williams.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Lombardi was hired in 2006 - the Kings missed the playoffs the next four seasons, made the playoffs the following two and then won the Stanley Cup. So essentially he was 3 for 7 in his first seven seasons including a Stanley Cup. That does count the next two years making the playoffs and then winning another cup.

Blake was hired in April of 2017 - the Kings missed the playoffs, then made the playoffs, then missed the playoffs for three straight years; then making the playoffs the last two. So he is 3 for 6 but no Stanley Cup yet...And this will be his seventh season as GM...

Good analysis and agree with a lot BUT also note Dave Taylor drafted Dustin Brown and Anze Kopitar. So Lombardi really hit home runs with Doughty, Quick, Martinez, King, Nolan, Clifford, Lewis, Voynov and his moves including signing Mitchell and trading for Carter, Greene, Stoll, and Williams.

Taylor drafted Quick too. Same draft as Kopitar, the most important day (weekend) in the history of the franchise (with apologies to Gretzky).

Taylor doesn't get enough credit for drafting 75% of the Kings core four. But it came to late for DT, if his 2001 or 2003 drafts had been the home-runs instead of 2005 he quite possibly might have won a cup himself. Kind of feel bad for DT, he tried and tried and tried for years to find the prototypical big #1 C ,and failed miserably until his last draft as GM (where as mentioned he also drafted a HOF goaltender)

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Utah
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad