Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Kings are depleted at center despite drafting a ton.. so the attempt was there.. but we are down a 1C.. so its going to be lets make due for this year
You're right, but also literally no one has been slotted there ever while Kopitar has been on the roster. He is still okay defensively and can cycle the puck along the boards, but just cannot drive offense if his life depended on it.

At this point, I don't care if someone is ready or not. At this point, I want Darryl Sutter behind the bench. One of my favorite things about TMac was that he, for the most part, put players that made sense in places that they for the most part should be. Kempe and Fiala have been in good places and not banished to the 4th line for 5 games while Dwight King gives it a shot as a top-line player, etc.

But in this case, I want Sutter. I want Kaliyev out there getting passes from Fiala. I want to see Byfield out there with someone like Kempe, Fiala, Moore. It is time to put some of these guys in sink or swim positions rather than prove to me you're a first line player from the fourth line playing 7 minutes kind of situations.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
Well it works both ways, no?

Half the time they're digging and digging to get more info

And then when things get really interesting, availability disappears
Cal getting waived really isn't that big. This happens to guys struggling for a year, especially when the team isn't meeting expectations. There weren't any comments from the team when Clague was waived last year and he was certainly playing better than Cal, the Kings were dealing with injuries at the position, and everyone expected Clague to get claimed. Everyone knew Cal would clear waivers. The media didn't cry about a lack of response with Clague when it had lots of people questioning what the Kings were thinking. Why is now different for the media?

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
Cal getting waived really isn't that big. This happens to guys struggling for a year, especially when the team isn't meeting expectations. There weren't any comments from the team when Clague was waived last year and he was certainly playing better than Cal, the Kings were dealing with injuries at the position, and everyone expected Clague to get claimed. Everyone knew Cal would clear waivers. The media didn't cry about a lack of response with Clague when it had lots of people questioning what the Kings were thinking. Why is now different for the media?
Clague wasn't on a giant contract and touted as "the defenseman of the future."

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
You're right, but also literally no one has been slotted there ever while Kopitar has been on the roster. He is still okay defensively and can cycle the puck along the boards, but just cannot drive offense if his life depended on it.

At this point, I don't care if someone is ready or not. At this point, I want Darryl Sutter behind the bench. One of my favorite things about TMac was that he, for the most part, put players that made sense in places that they for the most part should be. Kempe and Fiala have been in good places and not banished to the 4th line for 5 games while Dwight King gives it a shot as a top-line player, etc.

But in this case, I want Sutter. I want Kaliyev out there getting passes from Fiala. I want to see Byfield out there with someone like Kempe, Fiala, Moore. It is time to put some of these guys in sink or swim positions rather than prove to me you're a first line player from the fourth line playing 7 minutes kind of situations.
the Kopi question is not an easy solution.. 3rd line deployment might be too hard on his ego.. I think swapping him and Danault would be an interesting idea. Id prefer to see Kopi as 3C and giving Vilardi a shot at center (as a total last resort). but it gives fiala, kempe someone willing to go to the middle of the ice vs along the boards - with as much if not more skill. His faceoffs arent good but this is a situation where you have to compromise something.

Reactions: Surf Nutz and Telos

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013

fetchimage

harrypotter-dumbledore.gif

Rob Blake is a p***y.

• Wow
Reactions: Surf Nutz

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
the Kopi question is not an easy solution.. 3rd line deployment might be too hard on his ego.. I think swapping him and Danault would be an interesting idea. Id prefer to see Kopi as 3C and giving Vilardi a shot at center (as a total last resort). but it gives fiala, kempe someone willing to go to the middle of the ice vs along the boards - with as much if not more skill. His faceoffs arent good but this is a situation where you have to compromise something.

I definitely agree it isn't easy. He is the best and most consistent forward and franchise player the team has ever had. He is likely a first-ballot HOF'er, jersey going to the rafters, and likely getting an unquestioned statue announcement :P But, while it is not the sole problem, we all know that the dependence to the core veterans is one of the greatest weaknesses of the team.

Doughty is still our best defenseman, but he can't generate offense from the backline anymore really. Difficult conversations and decisions need to be made. Doughty isn't going anywhere and can't be moved off the first pairing. I am hoping that TMac uses him more defensively than on the powerplay or critical offensive situations like 3-on-3 OT or 1st unit powerplay situations, but the same applies to Kopitar. I am fine with him playing out his contract in LA, but he can't remain as the #1 center throughout, the change has to come sooner or later.

I would give Blake and TMac a lot of respect if they are able to handle that situation in any sort of expedient and graceful manner. It may be impossible, but it needs to be addressed as much as defense and goaltending. If I see Kopitar, Doughty, and Kempe out there to start one more overtime I am going to lose my f***ing mind. It is almost at a jersey-tossing level of infuriation.

LeftKinger

Oct 20, 2022
I still think you give it time. Let things play out a bit more. I think this is the right move. We’ve seen this team play good D, they did it last season. We’ve also seen Petersen play much better than he is right now. Kings are hanging around a playoff spot and there probably isn’t a market for a trade unless you’re willing to overpay.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
Clague wasn't on a giant contract and touted as "the defenseman of the future."
Again. The media doesn't give a damn about covering the team. It is a hissy fit over being told they don't get to ask questions that they weren't even going to ask or the answer is so obvious that the question is pointless.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I observed both of them in AHL and Kupari is much better player comparing to Fagemo...
Kupari skates well has a decent one on one move (singular).. he doesnt show much IQ - reminds me of Kempe a bit... he is not a center... maybe 3rd line wing. His size and speed could make him a very effective bottom 6 winger if he learns to hit more - he seems to avoid contact. Fagemo is shot first mentality.. thats all i remember about him. Edit: I dont see this move a solution to any problem, just giving someone in the A some reps with big club see if something clicks

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
If I were GM I'd honestly make a move regardless, even if it was a filler depth or AHL maneuver, but in the end, I am not expecting some blockbuster deal. There isn't going to be anyone looking for a fair deal with the Kings right now and obviously, we don't know what conversations are being had behind closed doors.

Of course, Blake can't answer any other way than a line that sounds unpanicked as he explores his options so we would know if a deal is in the works, being talked of, or not truly. It is kind of like the Petersen statement. He was always going to say exactly that we are trying to build him up to a place where we know he can reach because tomorrow Copely could trip over and fall off the airplane ladder and be out for 3 months and suddenly Petersen is back in goal and still crumbling over expectations. Gotta say anything to ease the nerves at this point.

However, this is definitely a moment where I kind of am hoping that Blake does SOMETHING for a message. I liken it to when we were blindsided by Pearson suddenly getting dealt and the shakeup that had. Obviously, I am not saying trade Arvy or Moore for a can of beans, but I want to see a measured reaction. Doesn't have to be crazed knee-jerk, but if the option is there, it would be nice to get a shakeup maneuver. To see players like Byfield, Spence, Clarke, or even maybe a trade target being given a true look/platform to inject some life into the roster.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Doughty is still our best defenseman, but he can't generate offense from the backline anymore really. Difficult conversations and decisions need to be made. Doughty isn't going anywhere and can't be moved off the first pairing. I am hoping that TMac uses him more defensively than on the powerplay or critical offensive situations like 3-on-3 OT or 1st unit powerplay situations, but the same applies to Kopitar. I am fine with him playing out his contract in LA, but he can't remain as the #1 center throughout, the change has to come sooner or later.
The way DD is playing now - he's a 2nd pair stay at home. If you make him top pair, you need a PMD to pair with him...Id like to see him traded.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I don't necessarily have an issue with Blake saying he's not looking for a trade right now. Every team in the league will be looking to take advantage of a desperate GM with a lot of assets. Likely not worth it.

But again, this all goes back to the summer. All of these roster issues were present in a much more friendly trade environment, and Blake did nothing. He made his bed, and the Kings will likely miss the playoffs this year because of it.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Like I said in the other thread, it's not about Cal, It's about addressing the media after an embarassing performance. This isn't that difficult and it shouldn't need so much defense. This is the only market in the league where guys get that luxury.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I don't necessarily have an issue with Blake saying he's not looking for a trade right now. Every team in the league will be looking to take advantage of a desperate GM with a lot of assets. Likely not worth it.
He has to say that regardless what he's doing (lets hope he doesnt make any bad moves during the season) .. he shouldnt be shocked at this moment given the state of the roster going into the season.. its possible he knew it would suck but has to present this facade to the fans and management that the team is competitive recognizing he did not do enough to get it fixed during the summer.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
The way DD is playing now - he's a 2nd pair stay at home. If you make him top pair, you need a PMD to pair with him...Id like to see him traded.
Problem is, DD and AK both think they are still elite and should be top guys. That's where having a GM, HC and basically a franchise that would rather stand down and make sure nobody gets their feelings hurt than put out the best combinations on the ice for efficiency and hopefully wins.

Inmates running the asylum is just a dead end.

Reactions: AbsentMojo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad