Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
But, it was before Kopitar, Brown, Doughty, and Quick had won a single playoff series. They had proven nothing. And in the time since all the real leaders left, where have Kopitar, Brown, Doughty, and Quick led the team? Nowhere. Maybe that core was never good enough. Even after Richards, they were still out of the playoffs before the Carter deal. Still cost a coach his job. Still were on their way to getting DL fired.

So, as bland says, like last year's inorganic playoff appearance, going all in before the core won a single playoff series, starting with Penner, was throwing caution to the wind. Putting the cart before the horse. Inorganically winning a playoff series.

As usual, your strawman factory is operating at full speed.

You said Dean Lombardi "threw the future away" before 2012. Are you prepared to actually defend this ridiculous statement or not?

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

So seems like JAD to 4C, Fagemo scratched? And an RHD scratched for Bjornfot I guess?

Seems to confirm Petersen is going to get AHL games to get his head right.

Probably nothing else coming today but even if it's less than ideal they'll be able to roll 3 actual LHD.

Reactions: YP44

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I'm not asking for a press conference to address petersen being waived; he could even have said something simple like we're exploring options internally about what to do

I'm talking about the full cancellation of practice and media availability simply because they had a tough game the night before. Why would it be so difficult for the players, coach, or Blake himself to answer questions about the game and season as normal?

You can not agree with it but it makes sense, that you keep obfuscating the point to attribute weird ass statements (like suggesting I was asking for the GM to hold a conference to discuss Petersen being waived) to me just suggests you have nothing new to contribute and that you've just bought a bus ticket from Axl to the 'nothing is ever actually wrong, you're just being mean' expressway.

And it IS cowardly. Sure, maybe they're going behind the scenes and actually working, but in no other market will you see a guy get the luxury of hiding from a game like that for 48 hours. That doesn't mean that was the sole motivation, but as Helene pointed out,

It's a day. 48 whole hours, whatever. If they cancel media availability for the rest of the year, ok, that's cowardly. I'm sure the league would step in at that point and force Blake and Robitaille up there. It's the 25th game of the season. It's a player's only meeting for me; who gives a shit. If they suck again tonight they'll have plenty of questions coming.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
wish kupari would do a bit more to secure his spot on the NHL roster, you see the flashes but he seems so disinterested at times

no real problems with those moves, i guess copley up makes more sense given that he has NHL experience

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It's a day. 48 whole hours, whatever. If they cancel media availability for the rest of the year, ok, that's cowardly. I'm sure the league would step in at that point and force Blake and Robitaille up there. It's the 25th game of the season. It's a player's only meeting for me; who gives a shit. If they suck again tonight they'll have plenty of questions coming.

As a fan, I give a shit that the team I have invested in for decades that has had the same issues all year and hit the inflection point hard simply decided to cut off all communication with fans for a couple of days until the next game.

Again, you can disagree. But you can't invalidate reasonable thoughts and feelings.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
As usual, your strawman factory is operating at full speed.

You said Dean Lombardi "threw the future away" before 2012. Are you prepared to actually defend this ridiculous statement or not?

Schenn, Simmonds, Johnson, and two 1sts before ever winning a playoff series.

Considering that they were out of the playoffs at the time of the Carter deal, that entire seeies of events could've been a disaster.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
wish kupari would do a bit more to secure his spot on the NHL roster, you see the flashes but he seems so disinterested at times

no real problems with those moves, i guess copley up makes more sense given that he has NHL experience
I like giving Fagemo a try.. Kupari aint the sharpest out there.. Id say he needs to commit to bottom 6 role and learn how to fight.

Reactions: tny760

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
The solutions to the issues on this team are not available currently in this organization. I am doubtful Blake is ready to accept that yet.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
So seems like JAD to 4C, Fagemo scratched? And an RHD scratched for Bjornfot I guess?

Seems to confirm Petersen is going to get AHL games to get his head right.

Probably nothing else coming today but even if it's less than ideal they'll be able to roll 3 actual LHD.
Dont need to scratch Fagemo since Kupari was sent down

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
My thoughts are the media complaining about availability is really rich since they barely cover the Kings. It is like when the cheerleader in a high school movie throws a fit when the nerd stops crushing on her. Oh now you need the Kings attention?! Get lost.

Well it works both ways, no?

Half the time they're digging and digging to get more info

And then when things get really interesting, availability disappears

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
They brought up spence a few days ago and scratched him, then just sent him back down.. what was that all about? Thats not even a cup of coffee - thats like here's your sbux, psych and take it back

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
My thoughts are the media complaining about availability is really rich since they barely cover the Kings. It is like when the cheerleader in a high school movie throws a fit when the nerd stops crushing on her. Oh now you need the Kings attention?! Get lost.
In this town the Kings need to do interesting things to get people interested.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
One thing about Bjornfot - I think Lumbergh posted how bad his analytics were last season.. but what always stood out to me was his skating (nothing else really did).. he was good at carrying the puck out of the d-zone - it was just when he entered the o-zone with it, it was an instant turnover... so just get him to pass before hitting the blueline

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
And would you define that as panic?
Not when it is your 5OA from 2019 who can't stay on the ice and hasn't played as expected when healthy. The fact that he has gone from body injuries to brain injuries that keep him from skating for 4-5 months hurts the comparisons to other guys who were tabbed as injury-prone early in their careers.

I'm not advocating for dumping the guy just to shake things up or something: just saying that it should not be surprising to anyone if Blake and Co. wanted to get out of the Turcotte business.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Schenn, Simmonds, Johnson, and two 1sts before ever winning a playoff series.

Considering that they were out of the playoffs at the time of the Carter deal, that entire seeies of events could've been a disaster.

For someone who loves getting hyper specific with semantics, I'm not going to allow you to wander off into absurdist hypothetical land.

Your described series of events was NOT a disaster. That's the reality you're conveniently ignoring. The Kings won two Stanley Cups in three years. Trading Schenn, Simmonds, Johnson, and two 1sts for in-their-prime Mike Richards and Jeff Carter was not "throwing the future away." It was supplementing an already established core, a future that was alive and present on the Kings at the time. And guess what? It worked.

You continue to entrench yourself behind these unfalsifiable, ambiguous hypotheticals because you have no real position. In your mind, Lombardi deserves criticism for trading away young players because it *could* have gone bad. And of course, Blake deserves more charity because his moves or non-moves *could* work out in the long run. Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

None of this actually addresses reality. So here's reality again, no matter how much you try to run from it:

Reality: Dean Lombardi established an identity and a vision for a rebuilding team. Under this vision, he quickly identified, established, and nurtured a young core. When the core struggled in their ascent, he fired the coach, and made two major trades to continue supplementing the core with more established, prime players. The team went on to win two Stanley Cups.

Reality: Rob Blake has not established an identity or vision. He has waffled between trying to contend and trying to rebuild multiple times. When faced with clear roster issues, he has up to this point failed to act and address those issues. The team has won nothing.

This is the reality. I'm not interested in what could've happened in 2012 under Lombardi, or what may happen in 2023 under Blake. I'm interested in what DID happen, and what IS happening.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I just hope the kings get blown out again. I don’t want anyone to get the idea that this was just a blip. There’s serious problems here can’t be fixed by line jumbling

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
Like seeing Durzi in the bottom pair here w TB/Roy 2nd pair.. def should help w consitency

Kaliyev and Villardi will be interesting, nice to see Kaliyev finally moved up, but Lizotte centering probably isn't the best possible option. Obviously I'd like Byfield there but I'm guessing they want to leave him in Ontario. Which sort of sucks for him, I thought he was looking decent to start the year, then gets sick and loses his spot. But hopefully he can continue tearing up the AHL.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

Cal is being picked up on waivers here soon.

We'll be fine.
fetchimage

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Kaliyev and Villardi will be interesting, nice to see Kaliyev finally moved up, but Lizotte centering probably isn't the best possible option. Obviously I'd like Byfield there but I'm guessing they want to leave him in Ontario. Which sort of sucks for him, I thought he was looking decent to start the year, then gets sick and loses his spot. But hopefully he can continue tearing up the AHL.
Kings are depleted at center despite drafting a ton.. so the attempt was there.. but we are down a 1C.. so its going to be lets make due for this year.. Edit: re QB I like letting him stay down there for the year... the NHL club is chaotic and he wont get the deployment he needs to develop

Last edited:

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Happy that Toby is back on the team and Fagemo gets a look. We all knew Petersen was going to clear, they recalled Copely so he is Ontario bound. I don't think we are buying him out either this season or next, so I honestly wish him the best and hope he turns it around. He has had good games in the past and has played well in spurts this season. If anyone can turn him around it is Ranford. I just need to see Kopitar demoted, Byfield called up, Walker jettisoned, Spence called up and Edler playing every other game, and JAD sent to the press box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad