Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
So now its Blake's fault for Petersen poopin the bed? Most made comments warning and others didnt trust Petersen being the future starter. Peterson in the beginning showed signs then struggled. He just seem so inconsistent then popped the bed. Others on here wanted Quick gone last year and he played better than Petersen. We will agree we need a better solution in the net. Was it a bad signing? You bet, but nothing you and i can do about it but see what the organization plans are going forward. If the team hasn't improved this time next year with roster improvements and record, then I will be right their with you spitting fire asking for the firing of Blake. The only reason I am not now is cause Blake told the fans the plans, this isn't the year.

Blake is accountable for all the decisions. He’s not responsible for Cal’s game or any players. But the buck stops with him for the results, good, bad, or otherwise.

What is the plan going forward? Kings win the cup with Byfield as 1C and Danault as 2C? It’ll never happen and you know it.

Reactions: deaderhead28

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Always remember we all want the same thing for the team.We're all just passionate fans wanting the team to be successful and its frustrating with this organization for many of us who watched for more than 30 years of disappointment then finally in 2012 and 2014 they did something many of us thought was never going to happen. No matter if I agree or disagree, it isn't personal and I would if I saw you buy you a beer,shot or a cup of coffee. GKG

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Blake is not desperate and is no way expecting the team to be serious contenders this year. Making the playoffs isn't the same as expecting Stanley Cup banner this year.

Some of us paid attention to Blake's and Todd's future outlook for the team and understood the plan, others went to happy hour instead. Relax

Oh, please enlighten us on Blake and Todd’s master plan. This will be a riot.

By the way, was Kovalchuk a part of Blake’s plan, too? Give your head a shake.

Reactions: kenito7

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
It's finally time that BLUC needs to make the necessary inevitible moves to move on NOW from
the 12-14 Cup teams.

20-21 -
saw that Carter was done as a King. He was totally uninspired and was of no help to Gabe
as a linemate. At all. Blake moved him and got what he could.
This season also showed that Gabe was not ready to be #2 center. Quick was begiining to lose his game
and Cal begin to take over.
It showed that Matt Roy and Trevor Moore coud play in the NHL.
21-22 - saw the beginning of the end of Dustin Brown. He was fading quickly from just a few months
after a decent 20-21 season. He could no longer make rudimentary plays or be effictive at the NHL level.
So he announced his retirement. This season, the Kings made strides with Danualt, Arvidsson, Edler...Moore becoming a very good player. Scoring about 1 ppg the second half and being solid all around. Kempe takes it to another level and eclipses 30 goals, with 35 and becomes a good player for all situations.
This season showed Kaliyev has made the team and will only get better. Kupari, Byfield and Durzi emerge,
to varying degrees. It was probably hoped that Byfield would be somewhat ahead, but broken ankle was set back.
22-23 - Adding Fiala was a great move, period. It matters not now, who he gels with or what line he's on. He has the most raw talent on the team and he has not disappointed. The team has disappointed. He's entering his prime and has so much ability and signed to a good contract. Not worried. At all. Vilardi has emerged to a degree that no one could expect, from how he has last played, April 2022, to his start October 2022. I do not know if I have ever seen a player take 2 to 4 steps in a few months...especially from his last game 21-22 to first game 22-23. It's beyond exciting and amazing. From just hanging in there, getting scratched in the Edm series, to dominating on the boards, impeccable puck play, taking pucks and making great plays, nearly 100% of the time. And his shot and accuracy are amazing...and near the goal. His skating improved! A lot...and endurance and strength as well. Stunning. All of it,. Honestly, if the Kings keep playing this miserably for most of the season, I know that just addig Fiala and Vilardi emeging to be a top NHL player, I am feeling fine. It's like they gained 2 top players, since the game 7 loss to the Oil.

I didn't think the Kings could acquire one of the most talented forwards at the age of 26 (without giving up Byfeild + + ) and I thought Gabe would never emerge like he has. He can honestly be the heir to Kopi to take over #1 center. At some point, the Kings will play better, but that may take a coaching change and a few trades. There are too many good young players (Fiala, Kempe, Vilardi, Clarke, Byfield) to not have a better future....and enough assets to make moves to improve any slot needed. The 27-29 year olds, Danault, Avidsson, Moore, Roy are all good players...although Roy needs to be taken aside told he can no longer shoot a puck from 50 feet out. Ever again. Only if the net is empty.
The ugliness has emerged and has shown to be their identity, that they were trying to identify. Their play has defined it. If anything, besides structure, mental lapses, inconsistency, bad speical teams...what can now be stated, NOW and for the FIRST TIME EVER, all can see that : DREW DOUGHTY is no longer an elite defenseman. PERIOD. He is lackluster, lost his fire, has more turnovers and gaffes than I've ever seen. He cannot dictate play. He's slowed down. He actually uses, 'slow the game down' technique and it's not working. He's no longer warrior Drew. I am not going to have an answer for how this plays out now, or through the remainder of n his contract. I'm not saying he's 'done'. He's not. Do I expect him to arise from his funk? I would not be surprised if his game and play get somewhat better...I am just saying you can NOW SEE his elite days are in the past. I could not say that, the last game he played last year. What to do? What can be done?
Nothing. He cannot be dealt...unless traded to Toronto with 50% retained and a decent player coming back that helped Leafs with the money working for both...just don't see anything there, really...unless Drew asked for that...and would be a little surprised. It's like the Kings will NOW need a future #1 AND #2 D...and only Clarke looking as a possibility for the RHD spot. (feel he's 2 years from being able to do that..but can play next year for certain) No answer, other than improving the REST OF THE D. (not easily done)
ANZE KOPITAR - Love him forever and was at his first camp in which he had bright, yellow hair. But his elite days are over. He will continue to play smart, make plays, score some goals, but his days leading this team are over. He should not be captain now and no disrepect to him. I'm not saying to take the C from him...I would not be agianst talking with him after the season, about letting another take the C. That is not disrespect. It should be MUTUAL respect that he considers letting the next leader take over. He no longer is a top, 2 way center...and is probably the slowest, #1 center of all 32, #1 centers. I'm not stating he is not effective and good, overall. I'm not saying your #1 C must have top speed, but a #1 C must have adequate speed, to keep up with a Fiala and Kempe and he cannot. This is 1 reason, why this line does not work and will not...as far as being a dominate line. What is the answer? They need to restyructure lines, speical teams units and icetime.
NOW. TOMORROW. These lines have not worked on a nightly basis. I think Gabe can takover #1 C now, but don't think they will do that. I would not be against Kempe 1C, Fiala 1LW and Vilardi 1RW. now.
You may say Kempe was not good at center....but that was 2+ years ago and he was not good, on wing either!
His game emerged last year and he would be okay at center now...even if he was a little better at wing?
The POINT is, he would be a better #1 center than Kopi is now...but Gabe would as well. Please remember, Kempe played center WELL, at age 21, with Peason and Toffoli...maybe Kempe was not a good ctr the following year, with CRAP wingers. We can all agree, many things are not working and ALL OPTIONS should be on the table. Is Kempe or Vilardi the answer to #1 center now? My answer is, yes to BOTH, over Kopitar. I think TODAY is the time to make some of the tough decisions, that BLUC have REFUSED TO ADDRESS. They have take a passove approach, towards the BIG 4: Brown, Quick, Doughty and Kopitar. Their answer has been to ride them....and wait until they are competely done...like Carter (would be one of the BIG FIVE cogs of Cup years)
and Toffoli, as well, had lost his top level game here and was dealt...Marty for #2 , #2's. So it's not like they have been afraid to deal at all...it's just that BLUC has built their plan around the BIG FOUR and try to improve the team around the 4.
JONATHAN QUICK - BLUC and ALL witnessed that Quick lost his game 2 years ago. Not compleetly, but he was no longer going to be one to make it back to the Cup...so they used Campbell and then decided his heir apparent would be Cal. Last year, Cal's game was going South...BLUC failed to acquire a capable #3, that could possibly fill in as an NHL goalie. They were banking on Cal regaining form....well, today, we saw a move, in which Cal being waived, BLUC NOW KNOWS, Cal is not the one.

DECEMBER 1, 2022. I hope a REAL plan for REAL change, begins this day. That a plan emerges, that is not to just find a decent, placeholder goalie...maybe another minor move...or just be happy Iafallo comes back and see where we are....but CHANGES. Kopi to line 2 kind of changes. Acquire a real, top 4 LHD change. Waive one or 2 more.

With Cal being waived, BLUC has shown they have accepted the heir apparent to Quick, is not Cal.
We do not know what their answer will be. if it is Quick and Copley, that is not their answer...as they
will have to have a better answer and this answer, is only interim. Their answer may only be to get a capable goalie, that may only be slightly better than Cal or Quick are / were playing. They may not be able to
have their best replacement now. Due to goalies available / cost. My point is, they now know of Cal's continued poor play, they had to do this. What they do next? ?

I am HOPEFUL, that they also take into account NOW that: It's time to make other changes and that Kopi is no longer 1C and work with TM to change all of the lines. Even Danault / Arvidsson / Moore....that has motly been fine....but not as good as last year and WHOLESALE line changes are needed and that line cannot be line 2, the 3 of them. Leaving Kopi at 1C and getting 20:00 TOI should end now. Anze is not done, only as 1C and 23:00 icetime center. What are the best line combos? I only say try Kempe or Vilardi ac 1C. The sooner, the better Anze is made 2C, the better. Please do not wait until Anze finds 2 wingers that can play with him....that is not the answer...I somehow seeing Todd, try to 'get Azne going, by putting Iafallo back at 1LW with him"
That is bandaid and will end up being one of the 5 worst, line 1 NHL lines. So no patchwork to help Kopi still try to be a 1C.

Blake really needs to find some size, toughness, that is ideally a top 4 LHD in the age range of Fiala / Kempe. And must move on now from Walker. Spence is a better player now and there's no reason to keep him in Ontario. The D has been playing erratic and ill at moving pucks and they are not getting better at it, but failing....Spence is very gifted to be quick and decisive, at making the right play and with very good execution.
He may be the best in the org right now, at doing this. So having him in Ontario is just wrong. Matters not if Walker / Edler need to be waived.

BLUC was not proactive, but reactive. Carter can no longer play (at least here) they delal him.
Brown can barely make or receive a pass. Reactive: Let him go out gracefully...keep playing him.
Quick is losing his game, 2 years ago...reactive: elevate Cal.
Doughty has BEGUN losing his game....reactive: do nothing...they will wait until he fails or hope that Clarke
can take the #1 RHD when DD's contract ends...
KOPITAR - most can see he's no longer a #1C. and cannot make hsi linemates - Fiala, Kempe better.
Bluc will do nothing...maybe talk to Todd about trying Iafallo there again. This is a reactive disgrace.

BURN IT DOWN. AT LEAST A ROOM OR TWO. MAYBE SAVE THE HOUSE.

Last edited:

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
It's finally time that BLUC needs to make the necessary inevitible moves to move on NOW from
the 12-14 Cup teams.

20-21 -
saw that Carter was done as a King. He was totally uninspired and was of no help to Gabe
as a linemate. At all. Blake moved him and got what he could.
This season also showed that Gabe was not ready to be #2 center. Quick was begiining to lose his game
and Cal begin to take over.
It showed that Matt Roy and Trevor Moore coud play in the NHL.
21-22 - saw the beginning of the end of Dustin Brown. He was fading quickly from just a few months
after a decent 20-21 season. He could no longer make rudimentary plays or be effictive at the NHL level.
So he announced his retirement. This season, the Kings made strides with Danualt, Arvidsson, Edler...Moore becoming a very good player. Scoring about 1 ppg the second half and being solid all around. Kempe takes it to another level and eclipses 30 goals, with 35 and becomes a good player for all situations.
This season showed Kaliyev has made the team and will only get better. Kupari, Byfield and Durzi emerge,
to varying degrees. It was probably hoped that Byfield would be somewhat ahead, but broken ankle was set back.
22-23 - Adding Fiala was a great move, period. It matters not now, who he gels with or what line he's on. He has the most raw talent on the team and he has not disappointed. The team has disappointed. He's entering his prime and has so much ability and signed to a good contract. Not worried. At all. Vilardi has emerged to a degree that no one could expect, from how he has last played, April 2022, to his start October 2022. I do not know if I have ever seen a player take 2 to 4 steps in a few months...especially from his last game 21-22 to first game 22-23. It's beyond exciting and amazing. From just hanging in there, getting scratched in the Edm series, to dominating on the boards, impeccable puck play, taking pucks and making great plays, nearly 100% of the time. And his shot and accuracy are amazing...and near the goal. His skating improved! A lot...and endurance and strength as well. Stunning. All of it,. Honestly, if the Kings keep playing this miserably for most of the season, I know that just addig Fiala and Vilardi emeging to be a top NHL player, I am feeling fine. It's like they gained 2 top players, since the game 7 loss to the Oil.

I didn't think the Kings could acquire one of the most talented forwards at the age of 26 (without giving up Byfeild + + ) and I thought Gabe would never emerge like he has. He can honestly be the heir to Kopi to take over #1 center. At some point, the Kings will play better, but that may take a coaching change and a few trades. There are too many good young players (Fiala, Kempe, Vilardi, Clarke, Byfield) to not have a better future....and enough assets to make moves to improve any slot needed. The 27-29 year olds, Danault, Avidsson, Moore, Roy are all good players...although Roy needs to be taken aside told he can no longer shoot a puck from 50 feet out. Ever again. Only if the net is empty.
The ugliness has emerged and has shown to be their identity, that they were trying to identify. Their play has defined it. If anything, besides structure, mental lapses, inconsistency, bad speical teams...what can now be stated, NOW and for the FIRST TIME EVER, all can see that : DREW DOUGHTY is no longer an elite defenseman. PERIOD. He is lackluster, lost his fire, has more turnovers and gaffes than I've ever seen. He cannot dictate play. He's slowed down. He actually uses, 'slow the game down' technique and it's not working. He's no longer warrior Drew. I am not going to have an answer for how this plays out now, or through the remainder of n his contract. I'm not saying he's 'done'. He's not. Do I expect him to arise from his funk? I would not be surprised if his game and play get somewhat better...I am just saying you can NOW SEE his elite days are in the past. I could not say that, the last game he played last year. What to do? What can be done?
Nothing. He cannot be dealt...unless traded to Toronto with 50% retained and a decent player coming back that helped Leafs with the money working for both...just don't see anything there, really...unless Drew asked for that...and would be a little surprised. It's like the Kings will NOW need a future #1 AND #2 D...and only Clarke looking as a possibility for the RHD spot. (feel he's 2 years from being able to do that..but can play next year for certain) No answer, other than improving the REST OF THE D. (not easily done)
ANZE KOPITAR - Love him forever and was at his first camp in which he had bright, yellow hair. But his elite days are over. He will continue to play smart, make plays, score some goals, but his days leading this team are over. He should not be captain now and no disrepect to him. I'm not saying to take the C from him...I would not be agianst talking with him after the season, about letting another take the C. That is not disrespect. It should be MUTUAL respect that he considers letting the next leader take over. He no longer is a top, 2 way center...and is probably the slowest, #1 center of all 32, #1 centers. I'm not stating he is not effective and good, overall. I'm not saying your #1 C must have top speed, but a #1 C must have adequate speed, to keep up with a Fiala and Kempe and he cannot. This is 1 reason, why this line does not work and will not...as far as being a dominate line. What is the answer? They need to restyructure lines, speical teams units and icetime.
NOW. TOMORROW. These lines have not worked on a nightly basis. I think Gabe can takover #1 C now, but don't think they will do that. I would not be against Kempe 1C, Fiala 1LW and Vilardi 1RW. now.
You may say Kempe was not good at center....but that was 2+ years ago and he was not good, on wing either!
His game emerged last year and he would be okay at center now...even if he was a little better at wing?
The POINT is, he would be a better #1 center than Kopi is now...but Gabe would as well. Please remember, Kempe played center WELL, at age 21, with Peason and Toffoli...maybe Kempe was not a good ctr the following year, with CRAP wingers. We can all agree, many things are not working and ALL OPTIONS should be on the table. Is Kempe or Vilardi the answer to #1 center now? My answer is, yes to BOTH, over Kopitar. I think TODAY is the time to make some of the tough decisions, that BLUC have REFUSED TO ADDRESS. They have take a passove approach, towards the BIG 4: Brown, Quick, Doughty and Kopitar. Their answer has been to ride them....and wait until they are competely done...like Carter (would be one of the BIG FIVE cogs of Cup years)
and Toffoli, as well, had lost his top level game here and was dealt...Marty for #2 , #2's. So it's not like they have been afraid to deal at all...it's just that BLUC has built their plan around the BIG FOUR and try to improve the team around the 4.
JONATHAN QUICK - BLUC and ALL witnessed that Quick lost his game 2 years ago. Not compleetly, but he was no longer going to be one to make it back to the Cup...so they used Campbell and then decided his heir apparent would be Cal. Last year, Cal's game was going South...BLUC failed to acquire a capable #3, that could possibly fill in as an NHL goalie. They were banking on Cal regaining form....well, today, we saw a move, in which Cal being waived, BLUC NOW KNOWS, Cal is not the one.

DECEMBER 1, 2022. I hope a REAL plan for REAL change, begins this day. That a plan emerges, that is not to just find a decent, placeholder goalie...maybe another minor move...or just be happy Iafallo comes back and see where we are....but CHANGES. Kopi to line 2 kind of changes. Acquire a real, top 4 LHD change. Waive one or 2 more.

With Cal being waived, BLUC has shown they have accepted the heir apparent to Quick, is not Cal.
We do not know what their answer will be. if it is Quick and Copley, that is not their answer...as they
will have to have a better answer and this answer, is only interim. Their answer may only be to get a capable goalie, that may only be slightly better than Cal or Quick are / were playing. They may not be able to
have their best replacement now. Due to goalies available / cost. My point is, they now know of Cal's continued poor play, they had to do this. What they do next? ?

I am HOPEFUL, that they also take into account NOW that: It's time to make other changes and that Kopi is no longer 1C and work with TM to change all of the lines. Even Danault / Arvidsson / Moore....that has motly been fine....but not as good as last year and WHOLESALE line changes are needed and that line cannot be line 2, the 3 of them. Leaving Kopi at 1C and getting 20:00 TOI should end now. Anze is not done, only as 1C and 23:00 icetime center. What are the best line combos? I only say try Kempe or Vilardi ac 1C. The sooner, the better Anze is made 2C, the better. Please do not wait until Anze finds 2 wingers that can play with him....that is not the answer...I somehow seeing Todd, try to 'get Azne going, by putting Iafallo back at 1LW with him"
That is bandaid and will end up being one of the 5 worst, line 1 NHL lines. So no patchwork to help Kopi still try to be a 1C.

Blake really needs to find some size, toughness, that is ideally a top 4 LHD in the age range of Fiala / Kempe. And must move on now from Walker. Spence is a better player now and there's no reason to keep him in Ontario. The D has been playing erratic and ill at moving pucks and they are not getting better at it, but failing....Spence is very gifted to be quick and decisive, at making the right play and with very good execution.
He may be the best in the org right now, at doing this. So having him in Ontario is just wrong. Matters not if Walker / Edler need to be waived.

BLUC was not proactive, but reactive. Carter can no longer play (at least here) they delal him.
Brown can barely make or receive a pass. Reactive: Let him go out gracefully...keep playing him.
Quick is losing his game, 2 years ago...reactive: elevate Cal.
Doughty has BEGUN losing his game....reactive: do nothing...they will wait until he fails or hope that Clarke
can take the #1 RHD when DD's contract ends...
KOPITAR - most can see he's no longer a #1C. and cannot make hsi linemates - Fiala, Kempe better.
Bluc will do nothing...maybe talk to Todd about trying Iafallo there again. This is a reactive disgrace.

BURN IT DOWN. AT LEAST A ROOM OR TWO. MAYBE SAVE THE HOUSE.

Wow, love it, this was some James Joycian level shit.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
So now its Blake's fault for Petersen poopin the bed? Most made comments warning and others didnt trust Petersen being the future starter. Peterson in the beginning showed signs then struggled. He just seem so inconsistent then popped the bed. Others on here wanted Quick gone last year and he played better than Petersen. We will agree we need a better solution in the net. Was it a bad signing? You bet, but nothing you and i can do about it but see what the organization plans are going forward. If the team hasn't improved this time next year with roster improvements and record, then I will be right their with you spitting fire asking for the firing of Blake. The only reason I am not now is cause Blake told the fans the plans, this isn't the year.

no, but it IS Blake's fault for not addressing the goalie pipeline as a whole. Petersen shitting the bed shouldn't be a franchise-crippling issue.

And they KNOW it's a problem given their swing and miss at Wallstedt....losing Parik and somehow pumping Villalta...it's as dire a situation as there is in the NHL and that is NOT an exaggeration.

And please show me where Blake said this isn't the year...I mean I know we didn't expect to be Colorado this year but it's reasonable to expect a step forwards rather than backwards. Right now they're on pace for a large fall from last year and thats WITH a healthy Doughty and Arvidsson as well as the addition of Fiala.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Nonsense.

Bjornfot was very, very good last year and improving consistently until his injury.

Of the 7 defensemen who played at least 500 minutes on the Kings last season Bjornfot was last in GF%(41.98), last in xGF%(48.08), last in CF%(49.33) and second to last in P/60(.46). There were 213 defensemen in the entire league who played at least 500 he was 192nd in P/60, 195th in GF% Rel and 207th in xGF% Rel.

It really is hard to say that he was very, very good when he was putting up such rough numbers.

Reactions: johnjm22

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Of the 7 defensemen who played at least 500 minutes on the Kings last season Bjornfot was last in GF%(41.98), last in xGF%(48.08), last in CF%(49.33) and second to last in P/60(.46). There were 213 defensemen in the entire league who played at least 500 he was 192nd in P/60, 195th in GF% Rel and 207th in xGF% Rel.

It really is hard to say that he was very, very good when he was putting up such rough numbers.

Him and Durzi were--predictably--awful together.

Apart BOTH were much better.

Bjornfot's deployment was more defensive hence lower CF%, but MUCH better GF% away from Durzi.

But again the problem is he's another 3d printed "Kings" dman, just happens to be LHD instead of RHD. Give him a big righty to play with and he's basically Toby Enstrom.

Reactions: King'sPawn

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
It's hard to believe this is the same group that blocked 29 oiler shots in front of a somewhat coherent Cal two weeks ago. That game was a bit of a aberration in the bigger picture of the season but gives me hope there is a good hockey team buried under all this weight.

I still think this team is only a tinkering or two from being a really competitive group but the time has finally come for Blake to show us he has a pair of balls and do the painful things that need to be done.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Didn't Luc and Blake tell the fans when Lombardi and Sutter were fired that the team is a contender as is?

Don’t forget the Kovalchuk experiment.

Blake and Luc slithered into Uncle Phil’s office and convinced him the Kings could win another Cup.

That predictably and miserably failed, and they’ve been winging it ever since.

Neither of them know what this team is or should be. Danault available? Sign him. Fiala available? Trade for him. These are good players, right? Get ‘em. Draft that kid, too. Draft everyone. Quick getting old? Uhh. Sign Peterson. Three years, sure, whatever, it’ll be fine. Kopitar’s still a number one, right?

It’s not that some of these moves weren’t good in a vacuum. The Danault signing and Fiala trade were great in a vacuum. But in the context of where this team is at and where they’re going, they don’t make any sense. Lombardi didn’t go out and secure a #2 C and top flight winger until the core of the team was well on their way to contention.

As with everything, it’s the inverse with Blake. He’s using what are supposed to be supplemental outside additions to form some Frankenstein’s monster of a core.

What even is the core of this team? Ten years ago that question was easy to answer. Kopitar, Brown, Doughty, Quick. #1 C, heart and soul captain, #1 D, starting goaltender. Boom.

What’s the core now? Kopitar, Doughty, and Quick are shells of their former selves. They’re on their way out. Not core.

Danault is a heart and soul guy, sure. Fiala, too? Vilardi? Sure.

Arvidsson and Moore are productive players but a dime a dozen. Not core.

Kempe is as streaky as they come and arguably folding under the pressure of his bridge deal. 35 may have been a total anomaly. Not core.

Kaliyev is just refusing to let Todd’s bullshit deployment deter him. Kid has a ton of potential. Sure let’s add him. So that’s three wings now in Blake’s core.

Lizotte, JAD, Lemieux, etc. Fine players in their niche, but bottom six forwards for the duration of their careers. Not core.

Kupari. Hey, a center. Probably never going to be a major point getter, but has some jam to his game. Sure let’s throw him in tHe CoRe.

Byfield? Who the f*** knows. Could be Kopitar. Could be Jordan Staal. At least he has obvious upside. To the core.

Anderson. He’s a better version of Davis Drewiske. No size. Decent skater. A solid #4 on a contender. Not core.

Walker and Roy. Big sigh. Not core.

Edler. As old as the earth’s core, but not core.

Durzi. Would be a lethal bottom pairing PP specialist on a contender if deployed properly. Not core, though.

Clarke. Sent back to juniors because Blake gazed into his crystal ball a bit too long and fell asleep. But obviously core.

So to recap, the Kings core in YEAR SIX of Rob Blake’s tenure is comprised of:

- a #2 free agent C at the end of his prime
- three wingers
- a bottom six C with some jam
- a bluechip C prospect who could go either direction
- a bluechip D prospect who is being sent back to juniors
- no starting goaltender in sight

Doesn’t get much more scattershot than that. Blake has got to go. No more excuses.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Kempe is as streaky as they come and arguably folding under the pressure of his bridge deal. 35 may have been a total anomaly. Not core.
Of all the vets, I think Kempe is the most troublesome. Even moreso than Kopitar.

He's getting the second most time on ice of any forward. Third most powerplay time among forwards. Reduced PK responsibility (fourth among regular forwards - fifth if you include Iafallo before his injury).

Kopitar's reduction in quality ice is forgivable given the age and years he's been overplayed. Kempe is getting more favorable ice time, and he still takes his time skating back to the bench leading to the Too Many Men penalty. The game before, he waited in the slot for Kopitar to fetch the puck for him, where both he and Doughty missed a clear assignment.

This isn't to say he ignores the boards completely, but I strongly encourage Kempe defenders to see where he is on the ice relative to the work and puck protection his linemates are doing. He doesn't go and support the play. He goes to where he can be open and linemates can pass him the puck if they win the battle.

He's also not nearly as effective as zone entries on the powerplay - one of his stronger tools last season. It's a major reason the first unit has lost a lot of efficacy.

DyslexicTom

Jan 1, 2009
It's always dangerous to sign a player to term after one breakout season, especially at Kempe's age. Even when he was scoring 35, I didn't feel like he had the IT factor. And then it was more baffling after signing him to go out and trade for Fiala, who is a similar player but better in most of the offensive ways. That's a lot of the cap tied in similar players. It just feels like management has no idea what kind of team they want to build.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Of all the vets, I think Kempe is the most troublesome. Even moreso than Kopitar.

He's getting the second most time on ice of any forward. Third most powerplay time among forwards. Reduced PK responsibility (fourth among regular forwards - fifth if you include Iafallo before his injury).

Kopitar's reduction in quality ice is forgivable given the age and years he's been overplayed. Kempe is getting more favorable ice time, and he still takes his time skating back to the bench leading to the Too Many Men penalty. The game before, he waited in the slot for Kopitar to fetch the puck for him, where both he and Doughty missed a clear assignment.

This isn't to say he ignores the boards completely, but I strongly encourage Kempe defenders to see where he is on the ice relative to the work and puck protection his linemates are doing. He doesn't go and support the play. He goes to where he can be open and linemates can pass him the puck if they win the battle.

He's also not nearly as effective as zone entries on the powerplay - one of his stronger tools last season. It's a major reason the first unit has lost a lot of efficacy.
Kempe… accountability. If he gets sat in the bench for a period or even a game it lights a fire under him. It always has. He’s a player that needs a kick occasionally and I can live with that, it’s the lack of kick that’s the worry.

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
Hello guys, what happened to Doughty's goal scoring ability? Okay he never was a big time scorer but only 1G this year, less than 2 SOG per game (only 41 in 25 GP) and i guess he is still playing prime minutes at both ES and PP

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
So bets on what we hear in advance of today's game?

More media freezeout, call up Copley, assign Petersen, and that's it?

Hello guys, what happened to Doughty's goal scoring ability? Okay he never was a big time scorer but only 1G this year, less than 2 SOG per game (only 41 in 25 GP) and i guess he is still playing prime minutes at both ES and PP

I'd imagine he's going to pot a few soon, he's taking fewer shots this year but his shooting % is horrendous, under 3, about a third of his averages for career and last couple of years. His PP unit has mostly sucked.

Reactions: aonb

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

I'd imagine he's going to pot a few soon, he's taking fewer shots this year but his shooting % is horrendous, under 3, about a third of his averages for career and last couple of years. His PP unit has mostly sucked.

I would assume so, like I said in another post, this is going to come in waves/stages, the 1st one was Peterson, now they are going to see if the team got the message.....and go from there...

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
He also had wrist surgery last year.

Reactions: funky

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021

I figure at least one roster defenseman is gone by Sunday. I don't care what, if anything, the org does or doesn't say.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I would assume so, like I said in another post, this is going to come in waves/stages, the 1st one was Peterson, now they are going to see if the team got the message.....and go from there...

Probably true, I guess I was just hoping they'd at least answer some hard questions and update on plans on Byfield/Clarke at the very least

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Probably true, I guess I was just hoping they'd at least answer some hard questions and update on plans on Byfield/Clarke at the very least

Probably waiting on Canada for Clarke......and I have no idea on Byfield, they could be seing what he is doing down there as a positive sign, let him continue to get the work in, get the confidence in....etc.

I think they are stuck between Kupari and Byfield.......and up until a few games ago, Kupari was looking really good.....so why mess with a good thing?

This also comes down to another post, or comment I saw you comment on where the essence was, players playing in the AHL have to force hard decisions to be made......and I don't think anyone has as of yet, have they played well...sure.....have they played well enough to make a team trade a Jack Johnson and open up a spot.....I don't believe so..... so they might be waiting for that moment as well.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Not expecting much. They'll have some generic comments about how it's not Petersen's fault, the whole team has got to be better, and how he's got an opportunity in Ontario (assuming that's where he ends up) to work on his game.
I'm expecting some shuffling of the lines but nothing crazy. Maybe Spence will get a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad