Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Horseshit......read the ENTIRE quote/story....there is context to that......

I mildly agree in the sense that the quote is slightly made to look a little worse like he was asked what is wrong and he said I dunno it is just mass confusion; however, the actual quote doesn't look much better. As the "confusion" he is referring to is whether it is good that the Kings scored as much as they did or bad that they gave up as much as they did. It is a dumb answer any way you slice it as there really is no takeaways. The fact that they somehow fought back to earn a point in such a stupid game is of almost no consolation.

The actual quote:
Is there a lot to fix at this point when you give up nine in a game?

Yes, definitely. The other side of the coin, when you score eight – it’s a very, very confusing night for all of us. I’m really disappointed that we gave up nine goals, absolutely. But on the other side of the coin, I’m glad that we fought back, got a point and scored eight. So it’s mass confusion right now for all of us, and we better frickin’ figure it out quickly.

Edler cannot be waived without his permission, he has a NMC. So he's going to stick around regardless.

I would be against waiving Edler, only because I feel he is the only defenseman outside of Doughty and Anderson that can remotely keep the puck out of the net. I honestly have been fine with him this season outside of his utilization needs to be a 6-7 Dman. He may be slow but he is still smart defensively and makes good passes.

Obviously, the defense can't be kept as-is though. We are at the point where I no longer give a f*** if they can get a 7th round pick for Walker or whatever the f*** they are thinking. Guys need to be jettisoned or waived and we need to bring up the youth or make trades and deviate hard from this core/veteran preference.

The canceled practice seems like a bomb to me.

Unless it's Blake and TM just hiding from the media and doing nothing else, in which case I will be absolutely furious that all they did was sacrifice the backup goalie and hide from hard questions, that would be a HARD 'f*** everyone' from me.

Agreed. Obviously, things are still in flux. I am fine with the canceled practice and media silence for the day if heads are rolling, things are getting addressed, and there are more moves to show for it within the next couple of days and they come back and be like we f***ing changed everything. But if they come back and are like we waive Cal and told everyone not to suck anymore and shrug that they can't figure out how to conduct transactions right now in the current market, then I would want everyone jettisoned into the sun.

Given the type of competitor Quick is he will step up for a while, but can he sustain it?

Hopefully they'll start making the moves they needed to long before this stretch of rough games.

I think he will in the sense the Quick has been fine honestly this year as what he is, a veteran stopgap goalie that should be a backup. He easily gives the team enough to win every night and I am expecting him to make it the rest of the year in a Kings uniform; however, it is obvious that a lot of changes need to happen and not only does the defense need an overhaul, we likely need to make a trade or do something in terms of bringing in someone else to lean on other than Quick ASAP.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Fagemo was paid $4,032.26 (minus taxes or other withholdings) for the day before being sent back down and wondering when he'll get his chance to make $4k+ every day while watching the rest of the players make substantially more money than he.

Not saying he shouldn't be grateful for earning more in a day than the average person makes in a month, but seeing how the rest of the team is doing has got to be deflating.

We need you guys to be responsible two-way players not just scorers

*watches Kopitar fly by a completely stationary Stutzle in overtime*

We can't have you making mistakes in the defensive zone, it's about focus and attention to detail, and playing hard and strong on the puck

*watches Matt Roy haplessly fall down by himself, leaving two men open in front*

We need you to be consistent

*watches Kempe not score for 11 games*

whether you're paid a lot or on your ELC

*watches Doughty not even lay a stick on McCann in front while he scores*

and we expect the entire team to stay focused even when not in play

*watches entire team lead league in too many men/bench minors*

Yeah if I'm in the AHL I'm asking for a trade.

Relatedly I wonder what Parik thinks when he sees Petersen pop one up in the air and score on himself from below the circle and just above the goal line.

1669845245149.png

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Fagemo was paid $4,032.26 (minus taxes or other withholdings) for the day before being sent back down and wondering when he'll get his chance to make $4k+ every day while watching the rest of the players make substantially more money than he.

Not saying he shouldn't be grateful for earning more in a day than the average person makes in a month, but seeing how the rest of the team is doing has got to be deflating.

Yeah I get that part, but on the other hand maybe he's thinking "Wow these guys suck, I'll be up sooner than later"

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The only teams I can see claiming Cal are Buffalo and Arizona. Both have the cap room. But Petersen has a 10 team M-NTC.

So if Buff and Ott were on that list, he could block a trade. But could he block a waiver claim?

Getting $5M in cap room should unblock many avenues to upgrade at D.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
The only teams I can see claiming Cal are Buffalo and Arizona. Both have the cap room. But Petersen has a 10 team M-NTC.

So if Buff and Ott were on that list, he could block a trade. But could he block a waiver claim?

Getting $5M in cap room should unblock many avenues to upgrade at D.
I think only a NMC prevents waiver claims, but I'm not sure. I am guessing both of those teams are on his NTC regardless. I also don't think Buffalo needs him with UPL and Levi in their pipeline.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
He can't block waiver claims but don't even give it a moments thought, no team is picking up that tab. If I'm wrong I'll switch to a Petersen avatar for the next five years. No team will trade for him either. Who on earth would, and why? Too much money and term for a goalie who can't establish himself as a starter or even hold down a backup role! His contract is poison and unless he turn things around Blake will have to buy him out next summer.

Reactions: kingsholygrail

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com

Thats an excellent question.. NTC is specific to trades.. a waiver claim is not a trade - it sets off a transfer of the contract and some fee in return.. i didnt see anything with some searches on NTC and waiver claim.. someone else hopefully can shed light.

He can't block waiver claims but don't even give it a moments thought, no team is picking up that tab. If I'm wrong I'll switch to a Petersen avatar for the next five years. No team will trade for him either. Who on earth would, and why? Too much money and term for a goalie who can't establish himself as a starter or even hold down a backup role! His contract is poison and unless he turn things around Blake will have to buy him out next summer.
For sure there would be trades out there if we want to take a crappy contract back - which now that I think about might get us an LD (albeit one with a crappy contract).. but your basic point is true.. no one is going to claim him unless its for something like hitting the cap floor.

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
I think it is a great move by Blake. I can see a way to trade him but 2 things have to happen 1 kings eat some cap 40 - 50% 2 he goes down to ahl and shows he's still a decent goalie.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I think only a NMC prevents waiver claims, but I'm not sure. I am guessing both of those teams are on his NTC regardless. I also don't think Buffalo needs him with UPL and Levi in their pipeline.

Thanks for that, it’d be my assumption.

Buffalo is trying to improve and their starter is older than Quick by many years. No waiver claim is made to disrupt a pipeline prospect. By definition they would have to come into the NHL roster, so it’s an immediate impact.

The biggest blocker for Cal being a Sabre is that it’s the Sabres and it’s Cal. Which is honestly hilarious, because at this point and time no player and team are better suited for each other.

It’s another piece of loser karma only Rob Blake could earn by making poor decisions and then doubling down on them at every opportunity until broke.

Who knows, maybe Cal is at a point where playing in Buffalo is now attractive. He’s getting paid no matter what thanks to Blake’s generosity. It’s been along time since the NCAA, so maybe the Kings championship luster has worn off enough for a guy who is just turned 28 to have his bags packed for wherever.

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Thanks for that, it’d be my assumption.

Buffalo is trying to improve and their starter is older than Quick by many years. No waiver claim is made to disrupt a pipeline prospect. By definition they would have to come into the NHL roster, so it’s an immediate impact.

The biggest blocker for Cal being a Sabre is that it’s the Sabres and it’s Cal. Which is honestly hilarious, because at this point and time no player and team are better suited for each other.

It’s another piece of loser karma only Rob Blake could earn by making poor decisions and then doubling down on them at every opportunity until broke.

Who knows, maybe Cal is at a point where playing in Buffalo is now attractive. He’s getting paid no matter what thanks to Blake’s generosity. It’s been along time since the NCAA, so maybe the Kings championship luster has worn off enough for a guy who is just turned 28 to have his bags packed for wherever.
basically beggars can't be choosers

bland

Jul 1, 2004

Imagine Bjornfot playing damn well for two years until paired with Durzi, then right back to a Target Assistant Manager salary the next year while everybody but Mikey Anderson struggles above you - and the dude that couldn't partner with you on his strong side gets to putz around in YOUR spot the next season and crap the ice on his weak side.

Trying to build character and teamwork here, not bitterness and resentment.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
We all know the defense is a massive issue before the season started. I think a lot needs to change. Blake, and Todd have to be on the chopping block. I have honestly no idea how they thought it was a good idea to go into the season with a trillion RD and one left D. I can’t fathom that. You have the resources and you don’t do anything to fix something that glaring ?

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
AND Cal can get a good, long run of starts to get his starters mentality back.

Now what will happen in LA as Quick continues to struggle should be everybody's major concern. Biggest fear is Blake dealing away a high quality asset just to get a name in goal to backstop this rudderless mess to another early exit.

Just recall Bjornfot.

Its literally the easiest and best option. He is two rooms away.
I’m still at a loss as to why everyone here thinks Bjornfot is going to make things measurably better. The entire time up on the big club he has either blended into the ice under him or looked generally overwhelmed. He got scored on at Durzi levels but provided zero offense.

If someone who has watched the Reign games comes and tells me that he has dominated the competition in the AHL, okay, but none of the numbers say that’s the case. Just being a left hand shot doesn’t automatically make him the best option to improve the defense.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Per Rosen earlier today:

That depth within the organization is greatest on the right side of their defense and their prospect pool, and to some degree at the center position. These are promising areas of gluttony from which both a hockey trade – as in individual NHL players swapped to address corresponding areas requiring improvement – or a trade built on young assets both appear plausible. The left side of the defense has to be addressed for the team to sustain a serious playoff bid. Neither left-handed defenseman is signed beyond this year, and while Mikey Anderson will be remunerated appropriately, Edler is 36, and after those two, no lefties in Ontario possess the reach necessary to disrupt playmaking in their defensive zone, nor the needed wins-above-replacement defensive firmness. Durzi has taken heat, but he’s an offensive defenseman playing his off-side amidst a surging tide of goals against. His numbers also prorate over 82 games to 52 points. He has size and defensive shortcomings but competes and just turned 24. Sean Walker, another right-handed defenseman scouted externally as a trade target, hasn’t played his way into the level of contract palatability when Durzi checks in at nearly a million less per season, is four years younger, and has averaged more than five minutes of ice time per night. The Kings have attached Alex Turcotte to outgoing trade proposals, and given the uncertain leverage afforded by the play and pay of the right-shot defensemen on their active roster, it wouldn’t be surprising to learn of additional young names joining his in trade discussion.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
This is a very important/dangerous time for the short to mid term future of the franchise. Everyone knows Blake has backed himself into a corner, and nobody is going to be willing to help him out without a sizeable overpay. So all those young assets who were not given a chance to prosper and have had their value dropped, many of them might be heading out the door while their value is low and the GM is desperate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad