Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
If Blake wants to make a change at coach, he should handle the rest of the season - or use Hiller I guess and make it a youth movement to finish up the year... never a good time to find a coach in middle of season.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Well I didn't think they would have the balls to do something like that. Maybe this is the first domino to fall or maybe its a warning shot for the rest of the team. Blake waiving the goalie he signed an extension to in the first year of his new contract 2 months into the season is big statement.

Question is what's next? Surely they don't think Copley or Villalta are the answer. I know Copley played well in pre-season, but he's been only okay for the Reign this year. And I don't think they overly confident in just riding Quick out for a while. There's got to a subsequent move after this.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
If Blake wants to make a change at coach, he should handle the rest of the season - or use Hiller I guess and make it a youth movement to finish up the year... never a good time to find a coach in middle of season.
I’d really really really like Trotz. His teams always play a really solid system. Kings are so messy all the time. If Trotz is available I’d give him whatever money he wants.

Reactions: Master Yoda

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Well I didn't think they would have the balls to do something like that. Maybe this is the first domino to fall or maybe its a warning shot for the rest of the team. Blake waiving the goalie he signed an extension to in the first year of his new contract 2 months into the season is big statement.

Question is what's next? Surely they don't think Copley or Villalta are the answer. I know Copley played well in pre-season, but he's been only okay for the Reign this year. And I don't think they overly confident in just riding Quick out for a while. There's got to a subsequent move after this.
i think you ride out quick/villalta tandem hoping that cal regains confidence in the AHL and treat it as a warning shot

not saying that's the only problem but i feel like that's the blake brain trust way of thinking, these guys are being super timid

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
I don't hold Petersen accountable for the piss poor way he has been handled, but he caved in instead of fighting through it.
Handled poorly? He took over the starter job in 2021 based on play, signed an extension that off-season, and then pooped the bed after being handed the opening night job in October 2021. He hasn't recovered. The Kings have a sports psychologist, right? What else can they do? Send him to a summer clinic for goalies??

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Handled poorly? He took over the starter job in 2021 based on play, signed an extension that off-season, and then pooped the bed after being handed the opening night job in October 2021. He hasn't recovered. The Kings have a sports psychologist, right? What else can they do? Send him to a summer clinic for goalies??

You don't sign a guy to be your number 1 who has always been a #1 and then sit him for weeks at a time no matter if he wins or loses just to placate a frankly now mediocre "legend" who has no future with the club.

You sign Petersen to that deal, you give him the starts, you don't judge a lifelong starter on acclimating to playing in fits and spurts so the longterm contracts don't get butt hurt.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I’d really really really like Trotz. His teams always play a really solid system. Kings are so messy all the time. If Trotz is available I’d give him whatever money he wants.
Trotz won a cup - well respected guy. We could do a lot worse than him.. rather see them tank from here without him, bring him starting before the draft, and come up with a 3 year plan in coordination with GM so they are aligned

• Wow
Reactions: Surf Nutz

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
Worst part is they got a decent LHD sitting in Ontario in Bjornfot. Call up Bjornfot, and make Walker the 7th D.

Anderson-Doughty
Bjornfot-Roy
Edler-Durzi

See if that settles the defense. Which should’ve been tried 3-4 weeks ago.
My understanding is they're showcasing Walker to be traded, but it could be something stupid like tm like his age over bjornfot

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Not sure what joke I want to make:
- Well, we don't want them to keep practicing what they've been practicing or
- Clearly practice is canceled because they've had too much practice.
If you're trying to figure out what the Kings should do with their roster, for me it takes a lot of anxiety away if I assume the obvious road blocks will be there. If that means the team is crap, then the team is crap. It is what it is.

We all know Petersen has been terrible. Assume nobody else wants him for the same reason. We know not many 1 way contracts, especially significant ones, are in the AHL. That includea all other 31 teams, so its the entire possible sample size to go on. The league even made a rule so that you can't simply bury those types of contracts. Until proven otherwise, always assume a guy in Petersen's current situation isn't going very far. The hard cap is fairly unforgiving if you mess up contracts, so you likely have to live with your mistake, one way or another.

Would they buy him out after the season? Kind of a crappy buyout for next year, but the year after that is pretty sweet.

I know that's a bad way to look at things, and it's better to wake up each day and wonder why the Kings haven't gotten rid of him or Walker yet. If you ask yourself if you would trade for Petersen or Walker, and your own answer is no, then wonder no more.
Here's the thing though - Blake DOES have options. They aren't ideal. But we're arguing it's better than the alternative. Waiving Cal, who has been struggling, should have been done much earlier than after game 25. Granted, only a small percentage of his contract gets buried in the AHL, but the amount that WOULD get buried was enough to cover calling up Pheonix Copley, who had a better preseason.

And yes, people will understandably get frustrated watching a team lose. But you can't say "it is what it is" when a grand total of 4 players from 2017 and later, at most, are playing regularly (Kaliyev, Kupari, Anderson, Vilardi).

The Kraken just had their 2nd overall pick from 2021 come in, play 16 minutes, not look out of place, and score 2 goals. They aren't just leaning on vets to get the job done, and they are doing substantially better than the Kings.

Even if it's not trading away Walker, maybe he should be waived. Or, you know, not playing. Have Spence, Clarke, or someone play in his stead.

The Kings are limited only because they either lack the imagination or fortitude to make a tough decision. And I say this as someone who vehemently talks about how a team/company needs to treat their players like people and not assets. It's extremely shitty to just ship someone out. But that's where communication and empowerment come in. Give them opportunity, but then dial it back if they can't make it.

There are opportunities younger players have earned as of late and they just haven't received it. Prospects have a bad game and it's "see, that's why he doesn't get an opportunity!" Vets have a bad game and it's "Well, he had a bad game. He'll be better next time." Except it's been many next times. And as long as you treat prospects like they can't handle it, they either have to succeed in spite of you, or they will just believe they can't handle it.

This is why I've said ad nauseam the importance of improving the development. And why I was supportive of the Danault/Arvidsson acquisitions IF they were used in conjunction with prospects to put them in a position to succeed and to empower them. But it's also why I was against the Fiala acquisition - he's a more talented and consistent version of Kempe, but it signaled that management cared more about having another go at the playoffs with the vets leading the charge, instead of seeing a philosophical change in deployment or attitude.

Last edited:

Magicman

Mar 18, 2008
The team is mired in mediocrity and a change of culture is needed, IMO. Be it a trade to change locker room culture, firing the coach and assistants to change that culture, or to strip down management and start a new.

I don't know the answer of the specifics, but from sitting in the stands, there is clearly a disconnect somewhere.

Now what moves do you make.

Like Captain Smith firing the band after he steered the ship into an ice berg.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
So when nobody claims him what happens
If nobody claims him, these are the options I know offhand:
- Assign him to Ontario and call up Copley or Villalta
- Trade him to another team who would then be able to assign him to their AHL affiliate without him needing to clear waivers again (a lot of teams do this - they don't want to trade for an asset only to lose it on waivers, but they don't want to claim the player on waivers, because they also want to move a bad contract out)
- Do nothing. He stays up in the AHL but he's eligible to be assigned to the AHL in the next 30 days.

Reactions: AbsentMojo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad