Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Good ones get traded for a variety of reasons. Sometimes, because the team anticipates they can't afford the goalie's new contract for how much they expect to play him. Martin Jones had earned a starting role, and he didn't want to be a backup. He went with Colin Miller AND a 1st for Milan Lucic.

Alex Nedeljkovic traded from Carolina to Detroit for Bernier plus a 3rd round pick - this was after 23 games of a sub 2.00 GAA and .931+ SV%. Cam Talbot, a decent enough goaltender, went for Filip Gustavsson. Vitek Vanecek went with a 2nd round pick to New Jersey in return for a 2nd and 3rd round pick.

And technically, Petersen doesn't have to go the other way. Salary has to go the other way - a team may not want a goalie in return if, say, they trade LA their backup but they have a good third-string goalie waiting in the pipeline to take the spot. Petersen could either be waived and assigned to the AHL or he could be sent in a separate trade to a different team.

The most notable fact is that with there being only 2 spots available for each NHL team, goalies have little value because teams can't hoard and bury decent ones.
I agree with most of that, but we are not getting a goalie for Durzi which is what led to the goalie discussion (not replying to you in that point). To get something of value like a good goalie prospect (or an NHL goalie) Durzi needs to be packaged up. The same if we want a decent LHD in return.

It’s not that easy to say a player should be easy to trade when at the same time we are saying he’s not good enough to be a King. His flaws will be just as noticeable to other teams, most of whom have set rosters and their own prospects waiting for a shot. There really are not many teams where signing him moves the needle in terms of making the play-offs and for a rebuilding team it makes little sense without other assets being included.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Durzi is not the problem, neither is Spence.
It the way how we use our defense.
We nobody who is a stay at home defenseman that can shut down opposing top players.
All of our defenders are offensive minded and undersized.

We need to get people like Grans into the team at some point.
Players with size and speed who play physical.

If you have a rock solid defense, then you can have the luxury of Durzi or Spence running offensive rampage.
Until then Spence and Durzi shouldn't be on the team.

Anderson - Doughty
Grans - Clarke
Moverare - Roy

This would come to my mind as a short term solution.
Then trading for a guy like Cal Foote

I'm sure they mean cap related
Here is my answer to you.

Grans has size and speed, but does not play physical at all.

I still believe this issue can be corrected with him in the future.

Also, Grans is prone to puck watching at times.

He is not finished product yet and need at least one more yar in AHL.

Also, in my opinion you underrating Spence really bad.

Spence is only 5’10, but he is strong, physical, great skater and has very high hockey IQ.

He can play PP, PK and OT and will be good in all of those situations.

I believe Spence already is >>>Durzi.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Good ones get traded for a variety of reasons. Sometimes, because the team anticipates they can't afford the goalie's new contract for how much they expect to play him. Martin Jones had earned a starting role, and he didn't want to be a backup. He went with Colin Miller AND a 1st for Milan Lucic.

Alex Nedeljkovic traded from Carolina to Detroit for Bernier plus a 3rd round pick - this was after 23 games of a sub 2.00 GAA and .931+ SV%. Cam Talbot, a decent enough goaltender, went for Filip Gustavsson. Vitek Vanecek went with a 2nd round pick to New Jersey in return for a 2nd and 3rd round pick.

And technically, Petersen doesn't have to go the other way. Salary has to go the other way - a team may not want a goalie in return if, say, they trade LA their backup but they have a good third-string goalie waiting in the pipeline to take the spot. Petersen could either be waived and assigned to the AHL or he could be sent in a separate trade to a different team.

The most notable fact is that with there being only 2 spots available for each NHL team, goalies have little value because teams can't hoard and bury decent ones.

I'd hardly call trading Jones at the draft anticipatory. That was, we knowingly kept him all year because he was cheap, even though we knew we weren't going to be able to re-sign him due to Quick's contract, unless he sucked during the year. Then trading him pretty much at the last possible minute.

All these were off-season moves anyway.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Here is my answer to you.

Grans has size and speed, but does not play physical at all.

I still believe this issue can be corrected with him in the future.

Also, Grans is prone to puck watching at times.

He is not finished product yet and need at least one more yar in AHL.

Also, in my opinion you underrating Spence really bad.

Spence is only 5’10, but he is strong, physical, great skater and has very high hockey IQ.

He can play PP, PK and OT and will be good in all of those situations.

I believe Spence already is >>>Durzi.

While i somehow agree that Spence is a little better than Durzi, it's simply not enough.
If we want to go somewhere, we have to defeat lightning fast 6'3 wingers like Rantanen.

In general i would use the next 2 years to develop our youngtsers to play a certain role,
since we are going nowhere with Doughty and Kopitar, so there is no pressure to polish Grans.

Reactions: kinghock

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
If that’s the case why does a team necessarily want him? I’m no fan, do not get me wrong, but I don’t see anyone giving us anything of great value just for Durzi. He needs to be packaged if we wanted to move him.
Because a team with a strong defense will allow him to play to his strength..
Meaning, at least in my deranged mind, you play him on your PP as much as possible while limiting his 5v5… think of it as the NHLs version of the DH lmao 🤣

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Durzi is not the problem, neither is Spence.
It the way how we use our defense.
We nobody who is a stay at home defenseman that can shut down opposing top players.
All of our defenders are offensive minded and undersized.

We need to get people like Grans into the team at some point.
Players with size and speed who play physical.

If you have a rock solid defense, then you can have the luxury of Durzi or Spence running offensive rampage.
Until then Spence and Durzi shouldn't be on the team.

Anderson - Doughty
Grans - Clarke
Moverare - Roy

This would come to my mind as a short term solution.
Then trading for a guy like Cal Foote

I'm sure they mean cap related
Somewhat agree with this but Grans is another O minded defender who is pretty soft despite his size.
Big, physical shutdown Dmen are hard to find. Toby can be one of them but he needs to be called up and we need to cut our loses with Edler and Walker is looking ok after missing last season so a few more weeks and he’ll be traded

I agree with most of that, but we are not getting a goalie for Durzi which is what led to the goalie discussion (not replying to you in that point). To get something of value like a good goalie prospect (or an NHL goalie) Durzi needs to be packaged up. The same if we want a decent LHD in return.

It’s not that easy to say a player should be easy to trade when at the same time we are saying he’s not good enough to be a King. His flaws will be just as noticeable to other teams, most of whom have set rosters and their own prospects waiting for a shot. There really are not many teams where signing him moves the needle in terms of making the play-offs and for a rebuilding team it makes little sense without other assets being included.
Buffalo will probably move Erik Portillo so that’s one team, though not sure how highly he view EP

Reactions: Kurrilino

dman3474

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
Ya, the Portillo situation is intriguing. I wonder who his “advisor” is, and if they could get him for less of a price because they know He won’t sign with Buffalo…. And know he will sign here

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I'd hardly call trading Jones at the draft anticipatory. That was, we knowingly kept him all year because he was cheap, even though we knew we weren't going to be able to re-sign him due to Quick's contract, unless he sucked during the year. Then trading him pretty much at the last possible minute.

All these were off-season moves anyway.
Jones was also part of the infamous Vegas party that summer.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Because a team with a strong defense will allow him to play to his strength..
Meaning, at least in my deranged mind, you play him on your PP as much as possible while limiting his 5v5… think of it as the NHLs version of the DH lmao 🤣

The most maddening thing of playing Durzi on the left isn't the ridiculous defense, its that his offense is also limited by playing his offside. Why a general manager can go a whole summer knowing this was the most likely situation is beyond me. Why play an offensive weapon in a position that limits his strengths and maximizes his weaknesses to the detriment of the player and team?

But Durzi's greatest value isn't really his play, its his attitude and the way he is liked by his teammates. That's the only reason you shoehorn him into the wrong role, and probably the biggest reason he won't be dealt.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
If all healthy, Walker, Durzi and Clarke are essentially redundant when Doughty plus Roy are in the lineup. Spence, Grans, et. al. don’t even factor into a decision at the nhl level.

Role wise, the team needs a guy who can defend well at 12 mins a night, while providing 30 points of offense. Walker checks those boxes. Management obviously envisions him as Edler’s regular partner.

The issue is that the goaltending has been bad many nights. So, it’s a muddled picture for which D are playing well. Some people like to blame the forwards for not helping out more. But goals are up all around and they are winning the high danger chances for matchups, so the skaters are doing a better job than last season at alleviating the pressure on the goalies to steal games.

I have zero confidence that Cal Petersen is a future legend despite currently being paid like one. But objectively, he and Quick have been equally good and bad this season. So the lack of goaltending is not on one guy.

Consistently coming up short in critical areas that are perceived strengths are a hallmark of a flawed strategy. When multiple perceived strengths fail to repeat and unexpected performances appear out of nowhere, then the strategy was throwing everything at the wall and see what sticks one day at a time.

All the excuse makers who talk about management’s plan never find a way to explain it in one to two sentences that are repeated for more than one year. That’s the problem when the guys leading the franchise have never been a strategy guy. Who would win in a chess match, Lombardi or Blake? Does Blake even know the rules?

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
The most maddening thing of playing Durzi on the left isn't the ridiculous defense, its that his offense is also limited by playing his offside. Why a general manager can go a whole summer knowing this was the most likely situation is beyond me. Why play an offensive weapon in a position that limits his strengths and maximizes his weaknesses to the detriment of the player and team?

But Durzi's greatest value isn't really his play, its his attitude and the way he is liked by his teammates. That's the only reason you shoehorn him into the wrong role, and probably the biggest reason he won't be dealt.
I agree but we also can’t keep putting him out there like we are. It’s a double edge sword with Durzi, you throw him out there because of his offense and intangibles but every one of his partners suffers because they understand they can’t take risk, if that makes sense. He nullifies the strengths of a Roy, Doughty and even Toby when they were paired because they needed to take a passive approach..
In a nutshell, you can’t play to your strengths with Durzi as your partner.

Kinda curious about the whole dressing 7 dmen thing, maybe give Durzi a huge chunk of PPT and limit his 5v5 by playing him down with Edler(who needs to go)… and then there’s Spence who should be playing that #6 Dman role right now.. it sucks that we’ve been inconsistent but having all those Dmen is a good problem to have come the TDL if not sooner

Reactions: cyclones22

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I agree but we also can’t keep putting him out there like we are. It’s a double edge sword with Durzi, you throw him out there because of his offense and intangibles but every one of his partners suffers because they understand they can’t take risk, if that makes sense. He nullifies the strengths of a Roy, Doughty and even Toby when they were paired because they needed to take a passive approach..
In a nutshell, you can’t play to your strengths with Durzi as your partner.

Kinda curious about the whole dressing 7 dmen thing, maybe give Durzi a huge chunk of PPT and limit his 5v5 by playing him down with Edler(who needs to go)… and then there’s Spence who should be playing that #6 Dman role right now.. it sucks that we’ve been inconsistent but having all those Dmen is a good problem to have come the TDL if not sooner

The Kings need to invest in a Scuderi type, safety first, calming presence that can be paired with a Durzi, Spence or Clarke as they gain NHL experience.

As much as I am a fan of Roy's, you need a left shot version of him to bring out the best of those RHDs. Roy straight up for a high minute, low event LHD is the best move they could make for this current roster.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
The Kings need to invest in a Scuderi type, safety first, calming presence that can be paired with a Durzi, Spence or Clarke as they gain NHL experience.

As much as I am a fan of Roy's, you need a left shot version of him to bring out the best of those RHDs. Roy straight up for a high minute, low event LHD is the best move they could make for this current roster.
Do those guys even exist anymore? I mean at this point that’s Edler minus the high minutes.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Do those guys even exist anymore? I mean at this point that’s Edler minus the high minutes.

Mikey Anderson ;)

But guys like that are pretty rare and get oddly paid these days.

I mean you WISH you could get a guy like Slavin but that’s unrealistic, the middle-tier/high-tier guys for a 2nd/3rd pairing could be guys like Gavrikov, Edmundson, Soucy, Stanley

My dreams are still Sanheim or Oleksiak. Maybe Graves as UFA? Or maybe NYI has A surplus and could use offense

Flames fans at least also seem to be ok with moving Kylington though that’s a different sort of LHD.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Edler is cast in that role, but he is clearly on his last legs after a loooooong career. Dumoulin is UFA at years end, 31, and would probably be the ideal fit as a secondary steadying influence. If Pittsburgh looks out of it at the deadline, might be a good option.

Doesn't need to be a world beater, just the kind of player who can allow the kid RHDs to thrive.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Hoven reportin
Edler is cast in that role, but he is clearly on his last legs after a loooooong career. Dumoulin is UFA at years end, 31, and would probably be the ideal fit as a secondary steadying influence. If Pittsburgh looks out of it at the deadline, might be a good option.

Doesn't need to be a world beater, just the kind of player who can allow the kid RHDs to thrive.

I didn’t say his name because I presume he’d be too expensive in the end, that would be a solid add for sure.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Was that Bailey nonsense really a plastic surgery thing? If so that’s an appalling message.

The mascot stuff should be primarily focused on the kids, so criticism about things being childish is weird. As adults (mostly) we are not the target audience.

However doing some sort of surgery at centre ice is weird at best. If it’s plastic surgery then whomever signed off on it should be ashamed. I say that as someone that is generally supportive of the job they do off ice.

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
I cannot watch this defense any longer. The only pairing that is good is DD/MA and even DD drives me insane in how he is used.
Edler can no longer stick with his shadow. Durzi is terrible on the defensive end and is mistake prone on the offensive end. Roy is being dragged down. Walker just isn't the same guy.
This is no longer an IF we need to change things situation. This is a MUST situation. It is ruining the proper development of our guys. We are asking them to do things that they cannot do and repetitively engraining bad habits into their game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad