Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Putting Fiala with Lizotte and Grundstrom in practice is borderline baffling. What is the goal here less than 10 games in? The team is doing ok in the standings and is probably better off than the same point last year.

These kids are outplaying the vets. This is what we want. If it ruffles the feathers of overpaid, under producing vets, coaches and managers, I’m here for all of it.

If Vilardi, Clarke, and Kaliyev keep this team competitive by the all star break, I like our chances at a deep run. If we’re led by Danault, Moore and Doughty, then we’ll likely come in 4th in the division.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Putting Fiala with Lizotte and Grundstrom in practice is borderline baffling. What is the goal here less than 10 games in? The team is doing ok in the standings and is probably better off than the same point last year.
Its a punishment assignment. Like scratching Durzi. What I saw was a guy trying too hard to impress his teammates and fans - trying to do too much and taking extra long shifts - basically not playing responsible hockey. I dont think that requires being assigned to the gulag.

Reactions: Seattle King

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

These kids are outplaying the vets. This is what we want. If it ruffles the feathers of overpaid, under producing vets, coaches and managers, I’m here for all of it.

If Vilardi, Clarke, and Kaliyev keep this team competitive by the all star break, I like our chances at a deep run. If we’re led by Danault, Moore and Doughty, then we’ll likely come in 4th in the division.

No it's really not.....that's adding MAJOR offensive, to a blitzing forecheck......

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
Its a punishment assignment. Like scratching Durzi. What I saw was a guy trying too hard to impress his teammates and fans - trying to do too much and taking extra long shifts - basically not playing responsible hockey. I dont think that requires being assigned to the gulag.

Hopefully it’s for practice and not a preview of tomorrow’s game. They literally played their best game of the season just prior. It’s not panic time when it comes to the forwards.

Rick Knickleback

May 18, 2022
Long Beach
Blake has some really tough decisions to make.
He's also got some really easy decisions to make, conceptually, or at least some options that should at least be tried. We’re getting caved in goals allowed game after game. Enough already.
We just need to bite the bullet at this point and demote Kopitar, throw someone like Byfield up there and give him Fiala and Kempe or Kaliyev. I bet if you ice Fiala-Byfield-Kaliyev, a goal is scored within the first three shifts.
Another decision that is just sitting there on a tee for the coach. The kids are actually showing they’re ready. Something less drastic but similar needs to happen with Clarke and Doughty.

There’s a corollary too: Kopitar with line mates like Grundstrom or Moore would be value added. Easily one of the top 3rd lines in the league.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Hopefully it’s for practice and not a preview of tomorrow’s game. They literally played their best game of the season just prior. It’s not panic time when it comes to the forwards.
Agree...Putting 13 on 1st line is good.. Im ok with Fiala on the 3rd line.. and think we all know the right answer is move Kopi down a couple lines but since that wont happen Im OK with this as an experiment

DoktorJeep

Aug 2, 2005
OC
Agree...Putting 13 on 1st line is good.. Im ok with Fiala on the 3rd line.. and think we all know the right answer is move Kopi down a couple lines but since that wont happen Im OK with this as an experiment

I think the fastest way to slow down Vilardi is putting him with Kopitar.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
You might have a point, they seem to spend a lot of time in their own zone.. but at least Vilardi will get extra minutes. If that line does suck it should make it clear what the common denominator is

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
What really concerns me is that a bunch of idiots on a team fan site (us) could see the following items as clear as day coming into the season, yet our coaches/FO could not:
1) D is a mess on the LHD -- playing guys, especially with young guys part of the D equation, out of their normal spot is a recipe for disaster.
2) D grossly lacking size, toughness.
3) D has 1-2 better options down in Ontario than what's in LA
4) Fiala with Kopi is not good option on that line
5) Kopi is no longer a #1 C -- even if you want to keep him there, you have to stop giving him minutes & playing him like he's a 27-32 year old #1 C
6) GV needs to play (ok, not everyone saw that -- but many, many did)
7) PP usage (esp PP1) sucks
8) Goalie situation throughout the organization is very weak (that's being nice)

There are other issues; there are many good/positive items. But the above problems (maybe with the exception of #6) was pretty much universally known and agreed upon by everyone....except it appears within the Kings organization.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
What really concerns me is that a bunch of idiots on a team fan site (us) could see the following items as clear as day coming into the season, yet our coaches/FO could not:
1) D is a mess on the LHD -- playing guys, especially with young guys part of the D equation, out of their normal spot is a recipe for disaster.
2) D grossly lacking size, toughness.
3) D has 1-2 better options down in Ontario than what's in LA
4) Fiala with Kopi is not good option on that line
5) Kopi is no longer a #1 C -- even if you want to keep him there, you have to stop giving him minutes & playing him like he's a 27-32 year old #1 C
6) GV needs to play (ok, not everyone saw that -- but many, many did)
7) PP usage (esp PP1) sucks
8) Goalie situation throughout the organization is very weak (that's being nice)

There are other issues; there are many good/positive items. But the above problems (maybe with the exception of #6) was pretty much universally known and agreed upon by everyone....except it appears within the Kings organization.

Absolute f***ing 20/20 9 games in.....bullshit.....

1) D is a mess.......we all knew that during the off-season......REALLY? Really? We made the playoffs with patchwork D......and we thought the D was the problem??? Really??

2) D is gross lacking size, toughness......size...sure...maybe....toughness, again, define it, is it missing the guy who's going to cross check you 30 times in the back to clear the net, yea....you know why? That's not the game anymore, the #1 asset a D has, is to think the game quickly, and then skating, then passing.....

3) No they don't....

4) Fiala with Kopitar isn't good....I mean if you want to discount Kempe..sure....I guess, but lines aren't two components, and that line.....in 9 games has 21 points, nearly 3 points a game, that's f***ing brutal...absolutely...

5) Debatable, I had that discussion with RJ, people inside the fishbowl can only see one way...you are in the fishbowl.

6) Bullshit, no one.....not even Vilardi's mother, saw him coming into the year this way....

7) Again...bullshit, they hired Hiller, so clearly they f***ing saw something....

8) Again...bullshit.....thats speculation at BEST...what's the proof they didn't see it....that they didn't go pay 3 1sts for a true #1? That they didn't sign Jack f***ing Cambpell? f***, they rode Quick last year, and he was up for it, probably going to do the same this year.....

Seriously....9 games in and this forum is on par for the bi-polar fan base that inhabits it....

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Theoretically it may work. Vilardi will be in much closer proximity to Anze, won't be looking for stretch passes every shift. He has no problem with boardwork either and is finally looking for his own shooting attempts.

Issue is still the situations. You don't want Vilardi up against the oppositions best in a lot of primary defending minutes.

Once this team wants to get serious about winning, they will need to develop some King & Lewis type wingers who can thrive in those moments. Right now every line sans Lizotte's has at least 1 one-way offensive winger.

I don't think anyone could have (reasonably) predicted Cal's decline.
Still think its all based on being told last year that they were transitioning to him as the guy, but would continue to sit him even.after multiple wins.

We likely won't ever know how good he really can be unless they give him the keys and let him drive for a while.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
If you're putting Fiala and Byfield together, I don't think the other winger you want there is Kaliyev.
Yup, I don't think 55 and 34 fit that well at all so far. But Grundstrom/Byfield with Fiala makes alot of sense...when Byfield isn't out sick

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
This has to be better.
In April, was about to beat the Oil in round one.
Since then, have lost Brown, Maatta, AA. Fine. Brown was done. AA was mostly terrible. Maatta was not bad,
but didn't seem worth a contract.

Since then:
Added: Fiala. Clarke
And: Vilardi has been a monster, to the point you can say they have 'added' him.
And all of these have more experience now: Kaliyev, Byfield, Durzi, Grundstrom

I love Clarke and he's not been bad on D. He's finding his way and oozes talent. He just lacks
strength. He looks 6'2" 180. I know he will be a phenom, but it's going to take 2 years to
get him to full strength. That is fine. He's 19. Few 18-19 year olds are Kyle Clofford 18 year olds,
in terms of man strength. He's going to be great and he's good now. He needs to be on the PP.
They sometimes put out DD and then Durzi, but Clarke must be on, as much as they are.
So, put Clarke on the left point. A D playing the PP on their off side, not as critical as 5 on 5.
Clarke and Byfield should be on the PP. One of QB's biggest problems, atm, is getting about 9 minutes of
5 on 5 and not a lot of ozone time...and when he does, he is not creating his own room well.
He's tries to go to battles, when he needs to have the puck more, or get open...Vilardi and Iafallo
can get him pucks...but on the PP, he has the time and space to do something. He has the skill,
tools and a decent shot. But he's only taken 5 shots! He looks good on the PP and he honestly
needs it, right now, to succeed and put up points. I think in a year, more 5 on 5 success will come,
Look at what confindence has done for Gabe??! It's driven him only higher. Once QB has success and
some points on the PP, confidence will build and he will be better 5 on 5. He will learn where to go and
start shooting more.

It seems Spence was almost glue back there, so steady . Smart, quick, relaible. It's too bad there
are so many RHD. I want Durzi to be an answer....but he's still a question. He's got to be better
on D. Doughty almost seems to have regressed some. Injury or not, he's not playing smart.

The D was better last year as a team, but Edler was better...Maatta was actually pretty good.
Spence came in and was great. Toby was ok most of the year. Now, trying these RHD on the left,
Walker not fitting in...Toby and Spence in the AHL. Edler losing another step....Doughty not at top
level....it's a bit of a mess.

It's like they are going to have to pull it together, defensively as a team...but they truly lack a big, talented, top 4 legit LHD. Chychrun is not the guy.

Reactions: bmr

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
More of a learn how to plays like these guys in your face, I know you can do better approach vs. straight lack of confidence, rethink things scratching. Crypto has been pretty haunted the last couple years.

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
I don't know if it's just me but Clarke looks very slow. Quickness might be okay and he's not really been out of position but he looks slow at top speed.

Reactions: bmr

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't think anyone could have (reasonably) predicted Cal's decline.

I think a few did but even so it was reasonable to not imagine a friggin .860.

Absolute f***ing 20/20 9 games in.....bullshit.....

1) D is a mess.......we all knew that during the off-season......REALLY? Really? We made the playoffs with patchwork D......and we thought the D was the problem??? Really??

2) D is gross lacking size, toughness......size...sure...maybe....toughness, again, define it, is it missing the guy who's going to cross check you 30 times in the back to clear the net, yea....you know why? That's not the game anymore, the #1 asset a D has, is to think the game quickly, and then skating, then passing.....

3) No they don't....

4) Fiala with Kopitar isn't good....I mean if you want to discount Kempe..sure....I guess, but lines aren't two components, and that line.....in 9 games has 21 points, nearly 3 points a game, that's f***ing brutal...absolutely...

5) Debatable, I had that discussion with RJ, people inside the fishbowl can only see one way...you are in the fishbowl.

6) Bullshit, no one.....not even Vilardi's mother, saw him coming into the year this way....

7) Again...bullshit, they hired Hiller, so clearly they f***ing saw something....

8) Again...bullshit.....thats speculation at BEST...what's the proof they didn't see it....that they didn't go pay 3 1sts for a true #1? That they didn't sign Jack f***ing Cambpell? f***, they rode Quick last year, and he was up for it, probably going to do the same this year.....

Seriously....9 games in and this forum is on par for the bi-polar fan base that inhabits it....

1. There was plenty of discussion in the offseason about this, yeah. Personally I thought most of us figured Walker would be more prepared and capable of the LHD minutes but he clearly isn't 100% full go, but no one could have imagined Todd putting f***ing DURZI on the wrong side...kid already has defensive issues, way to destroy him and the D at once.

2. You and I usually agree here, I don't think the D needs a Gudbrandson or anything, but we have a bunch of guys who get pushed around easily and can't pin to stop cycles. That's problematic even outside of the intimidation/punishment discussion.

3. It's at the very least arguable that Bjornfot or Moverare could fill in as LHD.

4. Fiala and Kopi don't mesh--though that may need more time, I don't think they're a good fit anyway--but it's not about the PPG, it's that Kopi and Fiala can't keep the puck out of their net and are team worst -5 at ES and it shows.

5. We already had our chat here yeah but the minutes are clearly an issue.

6. No, I think even the biggest VIlardi homer (me?) didn't see THIS coming, but we HAD been calling for his necessary elevation and said that a lot of people would look stupid (LOL at the folks saying he'd be on waivers/is a bust...notice a lot of crickets on that front now, including the primary one I called out. You guys won't be seeing TomD for another 4-5 months until he shows up and pretends that never happened, as always).

7. PP looked amazing in the preseason but PP1 has fallen into old habits patterns...might be corrected with actual practice time frankly but it's up to the staff to recognize when guys are drowning and pull them out of the pool.

8. They might have SEEN it but they didn't address it. I think they've seen it--hence the push for Wallstedt--but since then all they've done is sign Copley, keep pushing VillaltaLOL, and lose a high ceiling prospect in Parik. The organization depth is

Fading Kings legend--Quick
Drowning signee--Petersen
Journeyman volatile backup with few NHL games this decade--Copley
Guy who can't get over a .900 despite spending his entire hockey life on championship caliber teams--Villalta
Promise, but injuries--Ingham
Awesome college goalie, too small for pro projection--Hrenak

One Quick or Petersen injury and we're a wannabe playoff team relying on either a 37 year old vet or a guy who has mentally melted down AND a callup who has played 2 NHL games since 2019. That's problematic at best especially given both actual starters have struggled too.

Reactions: bmr and YAYSAY

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
If you're putting Fiala and Byfield together, I don't think the other winger you want there is Kaliyev.
I dunno, Byfield and Fiala can both get the puck into the offensive zone and are pass first guys. I think Kaliyev is the perfect guy to pass the puck to in the offensive zone.

Reactions: ibleedkings
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad