Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I think a few did but even so it was reasonable to not imagine a friggin .860.

1. There was plenty of discussion in the offseason about this, yeah. Personally I thought most of us figured Walker would be more prepared and capable of the LHD minutes but he clearly isn't 100% full go, but no one could have imagined Todd putting f***ing DURZI on the wrong side...kid already has defensive issues, way to destroy him and the D at once.

2. You and I usually agree here, I don't think the D needs a Gudbrandson or anything, but we have a bunch of guys who get pushed around easily and can't pin to stop cycles. That's problematic even outside of the intimidation/punishment discussion.

3. It's at the very least arguable that Bjornfot or Moverare could fill in as LHD.

4. Fiala and Kopi don't mesh--though that may need more time, I don't think they're a good fit anyway--but it's not about the PPG, it's that Kopi and Fiala can't keep the puck out of their net and are team worst -5 at ES and it shows.

5. We already had our chat here yeah but the minutes are clearly an issue.

6. No, I think even the biggest VIlardi homer (me?) didn't see THIS coming, but we HAD been calling for his necessary elevation and said that a lot of people would look stupid (LOL at the folks saying he'd be on waivers/is a bust...notice a lot of crickets on that front now, including the primary one I called out. You guys won't be seeing TomD for another 4-5 months until he shows up and pretends that never happened, as always).

7. PP looked amazing in the preseason but PP1 has fallen into old habits patterns...might be corrected with actual practice time frankly but it's up to the staff to recognize when guys are drowning and pull them out of the pool.

8. They might have SEEN it but they didn't address it. I think they've seen it--hence the push for Wallstedt--but since then all they've done is sign Copley, keep pushing VillaltaLOL, and lose a high ceiling prospect in Parik. The organization depth is

Fading Kings legend--Quick
Drowning signee--Petersen
Journeyman volatile backup with few NHL games this decade--Copley
Guy who can't get over a .900 despite spending his entire hockey life on championship caliber teams--Villalta
Promise, but injuries--Ingham
Awesome college goalie, too small for pro projection--Hrenak

One Quick or Petersen injury and we're a wannabe playoff team relying on either a 37 year old vet or a guy who has mentally melted down AND a callup who has played 2 NHL games since 2019. That's problematic at best especially given both actual starters have struggled too.

1.) Bit unfair putting the D woes on Durzi...and whatever side etc.....and I guess..this is the "NEW" NHL...where sides matter, but f*** the game was played for decades upon decades of side not mattering....either you are good enough to play, or you aren't.

2) Pin to stop cycles, ok, maybe, but those pins are being called holds these days....but you have Roy, Edler, Andersson, Durzi, who can all do it...Doughty...maybe the problem is effort.....but 9 out of 10 times, I want a D who can think the game, can skate, and can move the puck, because that's winning you games....

3) Arguable....I like Bjornfoot....I think he should be playing 4-6 D.....but I also recognize I don't know enough about the dynamics with him....maybe he was losing confidence after the injury....etc.

4) 9 games in, (real games) I'm willing to give it more than 9 games.....

5) yea...ditto lol

6) No one saw this, everyone saw the upside of playing kids minutes, but people were talking Byfield and Kaliyev, NOT Vilardi.....

7) A. they haven't had much time to do any kind of practice, nor have they fallen into the same patterns, game against WPG, you saw minimum 4 distinct different looks, they changed it up during the game, regardless of the result, that's what you want to see, it's the same freaking argument when you are talking about scoring....yea the results might not be there, but as long as the chances are grade A and they are getting them, you don't change a thing, because it's more about the process than the results....

8) We don't know that they didn't try to address it......

My whole...issue with that post is that it is literally based on the fact that everyone on the board saw these things, but no one that is actually involved in the game did....that no one who has been in the game 30-35-40 years knew about these issues......that's just f***ing lunacy.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Not even. I think it's the exact opposite. He'll be feeding pucks to Kopitar and Kempe all night.
The key with Vilardi is that he’s consistently attacking the net which is where wingers who play with Kopitar thrives.. add in his sick hands and he’d likely put up big numbers.

Moore - Kopitar - Vilardi

Fiala - Danault - Kempe

Iafallo - Byfield - Arvidsson

Grundstrom - Lizotte - Kaliyev

Maybe even swap Arvy and Kempe

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
1.) Bit unfair putting the D woes on Durzi...and whatever side etc.....and I guess..this is the "NEW" NHL...where sides matter, but f*** the game was played for decades upon decades of side not mattering....either you are good enough to play, or you aren't.

2) Pin to stop cycles, ok, maybe, but those pins are being called holds these days....but you have Roy, Edler, Andersson, Durzi, who can all do it...Doughty...maybe the problem is effort.....but 9 out of 10 times, I want a D who can think the game, can skate, and can move the puck, because that's winning you games....

3) Arguable....I like Bjornfoot....I think he should be playing 4-6 D.....but I also recognize I don't know enough about the dynamics with him....maybe he was losing confidence after the injury....etc.

4) 9 games in, (real games) I'm willing to give it more than 9 games.....

5) yea...ditto lol

6) No one saw this, everyone saw the upside of playing kids minutes, but people were talking Byfield and Kaliyev, NOT Vilardi.....

7) A. they haven't had much time to do any kind of practice, nor have they fallen into the same patterns, game against WPG, you saw minimum 4 distinct different looks, they changed it up during the game, regardless of the result, that's what you want to see, it's the same freaking argument when you are talking about scoring....yea the results might not be there, but as long as the chances are grade A and they are getting them, you don't change a thing, because it's more about the process than the results....

8) We don't know that they didn't try to address it......

My whole...issue with that post is that it is literally based on the fact that everyone on the board saw these things, but no one that is actually involved in the game did....that no one who has been in the game 30-35-40 years knew about these issues......that's just f***ing lunacy.

I think in short that it's not so much that we think they can't also see these things--it's that they don't act on them.

Taking #8 for example--yeah they've clearly tried to swing at a goalie, but they've swung and failed thus far. That's a problem whether they 'see the issue' or not, no? Failing to address it--whether by lack of vision, incompetence, or more generous stuff like just being 'too patient'--is an organizational concern.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The key with Vilardi is that he’s consistently attacking the net which is where wingers who play with Kopitar thrives.. add in his sick hands and he’d likely put up big numbers.

Moore - Kopitar - Vilardi

Fiala - Danault - Kempe

Iafallo - Byfield - Arvidsson

Grundstrom - Lizotte - Kaliyev

Maybe even swap Arvy and Kempe
Moore - Kopitar - Vilardi might be the closest thing this team has to

Williams - Kopitar - Brown. I dunno, if it didn't work I think we would have to believe Kopitar's minutes need to be cut drastically.

I wouldn't mind Kempe with Byfield, but Byfield would need to be getting about 6 minutes more a game than McLellan is giving him now.

Reactions: kings11

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I didn’t think Vilardi would be this good in LA because by all accounts from members of the media (and I’ll specifically call out Hoven and Dillman here) the team had largely written him off. I didn’t even think he’d be on the roster this year, I thought we would trade him. He also had very little trade value this summer and I’ll be the first to admit that he was a throw-in for several of my trade proposals. They all came with the caveat that Vilardi would be a top six player if someone would just give him the chance.

I’m just so excited the chance is actually in LA!

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
In fact, here are a couple posts from summer:

Vilardi still has loads of potential but almost zero value at this point. It's just a fact, poor asset management. He won't reach his potential in LA. I'm hopeful that he'll find success elsewhere. :)

Give him a role in the top six and he could put up more than that. There are so many interesting potential lines.

Kempe - Kopitar - Kaliyev
Moore - Danault - Vilardi
Fiala - Byfield - Arvidsson
Iafallo - Lizotte - Grundstrom

Happy to eat crow about him getting the chance in LA!

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Absolute f***ing 20/20 9 games in.....bullshit.....

1) D is a mess.......we all knew that during the off-season......REALLY? Really? We made the playoffs with patchwork D......and we thought the D was the problem??? Really??

2) D is gross lacking size, toughness......size...sure...maybe....toughness, again, define it, is it missing the guy who's going to cross check you 30 times in the back to clear the net, yea....you know why? That's not the game anymore, the #1 asset a D has, is to think the game quickly, and then skating, then passing.....

3) No they don't....

4) Fiala with Kopitar isn't good....I mean if you want to discount Kempe..sure....I guess, but lines aren't two components, and that line.....in 9 games has 21 points, nearly 3 points a game, that's f***ing brutal...absolutely...

5) Debatable, I had that discussion with RJ, people inside the fishbowl can only see one way...you are in the fishbowl.

6) Bullshit, no one.....not even Vilardi's mother, saw him coming into the year this way....

7) Again...bullshit, they hired Hiller, so clearly they f***ing saw something....

8) Again...bullshit.....thats speculation at BEST...what's the proof they didn't see it....that they didn't go pay 3 1sts for a true #1? That they didn't sign Jack f***ing Cambpell? f***, they rode Quick last year, and he was up for it, probably going to do the same this year.....

Seriously....9 games in and this forum is on par for the bi-polar fan base that inhabits it....
This is not the same patch work defense.

No Maatta, Bjornfot, Spence.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
This is not the same patch work defense.

No Maatta, Bjornfot, Spence.

No, it was supposed to be better with Doughty back etc....

Maatta, the perpetual shitball everone was shitting on...not realizing until what, March of last year, he was actually doing a pretty damned good job,

Bjornfoot wasn't the same player after the injury, and I thought he was fine all of last year....

Spence, great potential......needs to hit it, needs to play 20-22 min a night, not 12-14

Reactions: LAKings88

Piston

Fire Luc and Blake
Jun 14, 2006
Santa Monica/Salt Lake
No, it was supposed to be better with Doughty back etc....

Maatta, the perpetual shitball everone was shitting on...not realizing until what, March of last year, he was actually doing a pretty damned good job,

Bjornfoot wasn't the same player after the injury, and I thought he was fine all of last year....

Spence, great potential......needs to hit it, needs to play 20-22 min a night, not 12-14

I never understood why they kept Edler over Maata. The latter certainly would have cost a little more, but Olli was a better player down the stretch last season and is younger. Poor asset management, IMO.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
@Sol probably has at least 100 posts on how bad Maatta was.

Olli might have been our best dman last year and very few people around here appreciated it, but that's not surprising.

Reactions: kinghock

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Did you want to find that extra $1.5m?
Sure. Not bringing in Fiala, Sean Walker, Lemieux, one of the goalies. There are many ways to skin a cat if they thought Maatta was important enough to bring back. He was good down the stretch last season.
The thing about Maatta is they brought him in to play with Doughty and it didnt work out much like they bring in players for Kopitar.
I am not saying they should have brought him back but you are acting like it was impossible and its really not.
We will all chip in to double your salary if you stop posting bs for management. So whatever you are paid by the organization x2 to give the nonsense a rest.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
Sure. Not bringing in Fiala, Sean Walker, Lemieux, one of the goalies. There are many ways to skin a cat if they thought Maatta was important enough to bring back. He was good down the stretch last season.
The thing about Maatta is they brought him in to play with Doughty and it didnt work out much like they bring in players for Kopitar.
I am not saying they should have brought him back but you are acting like it was impossible and its really not.
We will all chip in to double your salary if you stop posting bs for management. So whatever you are paid by the organization x2 to give the nonsense a rest.

It’s a good point and more than a little strange that our two best players have never really clicked with anyone over the past 15 years.

Reactions: Schmooley

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

I'm just asking for thought processes. You guys with your shill for management crap are as boring and tired as my questions. Which is not quite as tired as the ever present well the Kings shouldn't have re-signed Kopitar stuff.

Bad asset management. Get rid of Walker to keep this other guy. Ok, how? Besides just saying trade him.

Don't re-sign Lemeiux. Ok, but that means they won't have whatever he brings to team, meaning they have to get that, which will cost cap space, which they won't have because they brought Maatta back.

Don't bring in Fiala. Ok, but they couldn't score last year, and who knew Vilardi would be the MVP, because the Kings can't develop anyone, not that whatever Vilardi does this year will have anything to do with however he's been mismanaged for years. Unless he goes back to being crap, and then the Kings will get credit for that. People also wanted DeBrincat too.

Get rid of one of the goalies. How? Nobody needs a 36 year old Quick to start a season. Which ready-made contender is missing a 36 year old goalie? An unrealistic scenario is sending Petersen down to Ontario. Maybe it happens one day, but you can't assume it's going to happen. Obviously won't save much on the cap, and it's rare that a player making as much cash as he does is in the AHL. Rules were made to keep players making that much money from the AHL.

Anyway, I apologize for daring to challenge any ideas or theories. I'm just going to stop.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
While I agree these are all viable options, keeping Edler over Maatta was a sensible decision at the time. He looked rough after recoveringvfrom injury, but the idea of recovering after an offseason was valid. Plus, the reduced cap hit WOULD HAVE BEEN good if, say, the rest of the team was playing well. If they are playoff contenders at the deadline, more cap room to acquire someone will be beneficial.

And, let's not kid ourselves. Maatta has 5 points in 7 games. In LA, he had 12 points in 107 games. Edler alone had 19 points in 41 games last year. One was a noticably better fit in all situations.

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
So many possible assets to deal for a LHD and/or young goalie. LA roster: Durzi, Walker....AHL: Fagemo, Thomas, Kupari (would prefer to keep him) Chromiak, Bjornfot (prefer to keep) Spence (prefer to keep) Grans.

CHL: Pinelli 9 goals in 9 games. College: Laferriere, Connor, Hughes.

Speaking of Laferriere, had 2 goals, 2 assists in his first game! 1 game. 4 points.
And Kenny Connors. 6 games, 3 goals 6 asissts 9 pts, leading UMASS as a Freshman!
AMAZEBALLZ. He's got good size too. May have gems in both Laferriere and Connors.

Back to LHD. Not sure who could be a good target. Need someone that can log minutes, have size, play physical and could be a top or second pairing. Kill penalties. Dish out some punishment. Basically, Robin Regehr.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
So many possible assets to deal for a LHD and/or young goalie. LA roster: Durzi, Walker....AHL: Fagemo, Thomas, Kupari (would prefer to keep him) Chromiak, Bjornfot (prefer to keep) Spence (prefer to keep) Grans.

CHL: Pinelli 9 goals in 9 games. College: Laferriere, Connor, Hughes.

Speaking of Laferriere, had 2 goals, 2 assists in his first game! 1 game. 4 points.
And Kenny Connors. 6 games, 3 goals 6 asissts 9 pts, leading UMASS as a Freshman!
AMAZEBALLZ. He's got good size too. May have gems in both Laferriere and Connors.

Back to LHD. Not sure who could be a good target. Need someone that can log minutes, have size, play physical and could be a top or second pairing. Kill penalties. Dish out some punishment. Basically, Robin Regehr.
The Kings missed out on their young physical LHD when they didn't offersheet Hague. Could have only lost a 2nd round pick. Vegas couldn't have matched because it would have sent them over the 10% cap in the offseason. Bad miss by Blake and staff

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The Kings missed out on their young physical LHD when they didn't offersheet Hague. Could have only lost a 2nd round pick. Vegas couldn't have matched because it would have sent them over the 10% cap in the offseason. Bad miss by Blake and staff

100%, everyone KNEW Hague wanted to play in LA......

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
100%, everyone KNEW Hague wanted to play in LA......
Everyone f***ing understands that the player has to agree to the offersheet but to not even "try" an offersheet is ridiculous. Not one media outlet came out and said that teams were pushing for an offersheet. LA management KNEW their need and didn't push for it to happen.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Everyone f***ing understands that the player has to agree to the offersheet but to not even "try" an offersheet is ridiculous. Not one media outlet came out and said that teams were pushing for an offersheet. LA management KNEW their need and didn't push for it to happen.

Got it.....not one media outlet came out and said Fiala was traded to LA........until.....it happened....

Maybe...just maybe....it wasn't reported because it didn't happen? Wait no.....f*** it, too easy, absolutely LA f***ed the dog because you KNOW they didn't try......

The hurdles some of you f***ing jump just to get pissed off is flat out f***ing amazing.....

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
While I agree these are all viable options, keeping Edler over Maatta was a sensible decision at the time. He looked rough after recoveringvfrom injury, but the idea of recovering after an offseason was valid. Plus, the reduced cap hit WOULD HAVE BEEN good if, say, the rest of the team was playing well. If they are playoff contenders at the deadline, more cap room to acquire someone will be beneficial.

And, let's not kid ourselves. Maatta has 5 points in 7 games. In LA, he had 12 points in 107 games. Edler alone had 19 points in 41 games last year. One was a noticably better fit in all situations.
I wasnt saying the should have kept Maatta. That kingsfan cat just keeps saying everything the Kings didnt do is impossible and stupid and everything they did do is pure genius.

Reactions: KingsFan7824

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
@Sol probably has at least 100 posts on how bad Maatta was.

Olli might have been our best dman last year and very few people around here appreciated it, but that's not surprising.
dude how much do you love SOL .. haha every second post your talking about him .. cut the foreplay and just ask him out
with the amount of young talent we have .. you dont go around offer sheeting people ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad