Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Here’s the thing, yeah we saw with Vilardi flashes of skill but he was abysmally slow. It’s obvious he put in some inhuman amount of work to fix his speed. But that’s not normal.
His conditioning was probably extremely bad due to his back issues. I'm sure the doctors wouldn't let him ramp up to where he needed to be. When he came back, I remember how they had to keep his shifts/ice time really short because he couldn't keep up. I think he still has room to grow here. He could be a monster if he becomes faster and stronger on the puck. There's times where I think he could really battle more. This I do now - he is extremely intelligent and has an amazing vision for passes and has an elite shot.

Reactions: Fat Elvis

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Byfield/Kopi/Kempe
Fiala/Danault/Arvidsson
Iafallo/Lizotte/Vilardi
Kaliyev/Kupari/Grundstrom/MacEwen
Extra: JAD

Doughty-Anderson
Durzi-Roy
Gavrikov-Walker
Extra: Edler

When Moore comes back, then the Kings have a tough decision and this summer.

Too many forwards and I believe Fagemo and Thomas are waiver eligible next season? Someone confirm...

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Takes two to tango but 6.5 in space wasted (yeah I'm sure they tried) seems like a wasted opportunity. Guess we will never know what could've been.
meh, not interested in bringing in a rental. If anything I would rather had blake move out some bodies to clear log james.

Thought this was a deadline LA should sit out unless they could get a deal that made them better for next year. Unless they re-sign Gavrikov of Korpisalo not really a good deadline IMO.

I wonder what deals to the new guys would even look like. 4x4 for each? Is that too high too low? I really do not know

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
meh, not interested in bringing in a rental. If anything I would rather had blake move out some bodies to clear log james.

Thought this was a deadline LA should sit out unless they could get a deal that made them better for next year. Unless they re-sign Gavrikov of Korpisalo not really a good deadline IMO.

I wonder what deals to the new guys would even look like. 4x4 for each? Is that too high too low? I really do not know
Cap space doesn't defer over. Wish he could of traded excess to bring in a bit more fortification.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
They have fewer flaws, certainly, and every team in the west has those. The room didn't seem to be shaken too much, they played fine last night.

Things absolutely need to be reviewed on defense, but if they settle on a top-4 of Anderson/Doughty and Gavrikov/Roy, that's pretty damn solid. Let Durzi and whoever run wild against weaker competition. All teams lean on their top 2 pairings come post-season, especially in tight games and late in games.
Yea Durzi would be fine on the right running wild against weaker competition. You said Durzi and whoever? Who is whoever? They needed to get that guy cause it cant be Edler.
And if its not Durzi on his off side they move Walker to his off side to play with Roy maybe?
You can hide one of them on the third pair with a solid partner but not both in the lineup especially when one is on the off side. They only cleaned up half the issue here with Gavrikov.

Reactions: chris kontos

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Great deadline! Center would have been nice, but not much there & they probably plan on Byfield there long term. Cheap end is not much better than Lizotte.

Gavrikov & Korpisalo are good additions. Expected the team to target signing them in the off-season. Getting the wives happy & enjoying LA will go a long way to helping that. Cap will be tricky this summer, but it's more important to have defense pairs set & goaltending than extra depth wings.

Bonuses: Edler has a 35+ bonus he hit. Think that's about 700k. Nice to not carry any bonuses into next year.

Blake improved the team. Addressed a major mess that popped up & set a good course for the future. Mikey, Roy, Gavrikov are a solid set of shutdown guys to build a D off of. Couple shots at finding a new goalie. That's just going to need more flung at the wall until something sticks.

Now let's kick this thing in gear, stop moping on the ice & take the division!

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
And if its not Durzi on his off side they move Walker to his off side to play with Roy maybe?
You can hide one of them on the third pair with a solid partner but not both in the lineup especially when one is on the off side. They only cleaned up half the issue here with Gavrikov.
There's a pick your poison decision: would rather have Edler Durzi, or Durzi Walker... either pair will be orange and conical

Quickie never took the bait at every turn. Ultimate pro.
Never talks bullshit...genuine dude

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Byfield/Kopi/Kempe
Fiala/Danault/Arvidsson
Iafallo/Lizotte/Vilardi
Kaliyev/Kupari/Grundstrom/MacEwen
Extra: JAD

Doughty-Anderson
Durzi-Roy
Gavrikov-Walker
Extra: Edler

When Moore comes back, then the Kings have a tough decision and this summer.

Too many forwards and I believe Fagemo and Thomas are waiver eligible next season? Someone confirm...

Players that will require waivers next season:
Bjornfot
Kupari
Thomas
Fagemo
Madden
Villalta
Dudas

following season:
Spence
Turcotte
Kaliyev (though he may hit games early? not sure)
Ingham
Hrenak
Ward

Lots of guys about to get recycled for picks.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
The main names on the first list are Kupari, Fagemo and Bjornfot.

Honestly, I think Bjornfot has played his way out of LA - there is no room for him. Even if Gavrikov doesn't resign here the Kings will likely replace him with a bigger LHD. I don't see room for Toby, especially with the way he plays, which is meh - he's not overly physical or overly offensive.

Reactions: RocketKing

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Bjornfot
Kupari
Thomas
Fagemo
Madden
Villalta
Dudas

following season:
Spence
Turcotte
Ingham
Hrenak
Ward

Players that might have a spot next season:

Bjornfot
Kupari
Fagemo

About a zero percent chance those other guys sniff the roster.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
If this is all Blake did after wasting draft capital, this team isn't getting out of the first round. Waste of cap and assets. And I an not a Blake hater but this is a failure if they wanted to get to the second round.
If they win the division, they could beat a wild card.
And it's worth it if he can resign Korpi
doubly worth it if he can sign Gavri.
I like the Portillo pick up too.
Blake thinks we are in the window and the standings would agree.
He addressed our goalie pipeline and LHD for a go and possibly longer.
I respectfully disagree.
His chain of command may have also indicated that the clock is always ticking.
Can't be too upset with this TDL, Blake addressed needs. Feather in the cap would be he if Blake can re-sign garikov
Korpi first.
Second team??? Are you in Vegas?
I have found out Quickly it is these geographically detached fans that bitch the most and the loudest.
Interesting material for psycho-analysis.
If you think this team is a contender then lol
Gotta be a comprehender to get they are a Western contender
Don't we have too many skaters when Trevor Moore returns? If so is Blake gambling someone will always be injured?
You wanna have depth going into the playoffs.
Hockey injuries are up compared to badminton this year.
We have way too many forwards now. 15 on roster once Moore is back. Who gets sent down? And would they have to go through waivers now?
Grundstrom? JAD?
Good question maybe Kupari, because he can pass, The other 2 could get snatched.
Is that the Kings red uniform?
Don't we have too many skaters when Trevor Moore returns? If so is Blake gambling someone will always be injured?

So basically you're looking at

In:
Gavrikov
Korpisalo
MacEwen
Portillo (hopefully he signs)

Out:
Quick
Wagner
Lemieux

I think ultimately if you look at what came in and what came out the team is improved while shedding some salary. I did want a 3rd line center because I think Lizotte is punching above his weight class and I think in order to really compete you need that strength down the middle.

The team did get better. Does it catapult them to instant favorites in the west? I would say no, but comparing to what other teams did in the west I think we came out alright. But we have to resign Gavrikov to make this worth it.
I would settle for just Korpi resigning.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Some folks are putting the cart ahead of the horse on Korpi even more than on Copley.

Bless his season but this is one of statistically the worst goalies in the league over his career

Allegedly he's healthy and figuring it out and Blake is clearly trying to catch lightning in a bottle on his good season but have to be thoughtful about his signing.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Okay that’s so unrealistic though. Vilardi was very bad. He had skill but he was pretty much invisible. Players like that most often than not sink the vast majority of the time. I think the worst thing about Vilardi’s immaculate metamorphosis is that now Kings fans will use him as an example rather than understand he’s an exception to the standard.

It's also unrealistic to rebuild into a contender, even if you do the right things. While it being more realistic to mess up, like missing on higher picks, losing guys on waivers, etc. Like the Kings did before winning the Cup.

Why does a player that they developed have to be a bad thing? Even if they patiently take time to see if they can get it right, they still can't get credit?

Truly competing for the Cup is an exception, not the standard. Unless the standard is just get in and you never know what can happen.

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
His conditioning was probably extremely bad due to his back issues. I'm sure the doctors wouldn't let him ramp up to where he needed to be. When he came back, I remember how they had to keep his shifts/ice time really short because he couldn't keep up. I think he still has room to grow here. He could be a monster if he becomes faster and stronger on the puck. There's times where I think he could really battle more. This I do now - he is extremely intelligent and has an amazing vision for passes and has an elite shot.

Was at the game last night and he looked like a monster- big and strong, went into the corners with purpose and looked a prototypical power forward. I see some John Leclair type comparisons....hell VIlardi probably has better hands.

Players that might have a spot next season:

Bjornfot
Kupari
Fagemo

About a zero percent chance those other guys sniff the roster.

I Have the AHL package and would add Spence to the mix as well. Dead on accurate on the others though barring someone having a monstrous camp.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
If they win the division, they could beat a wild card.
And it's worth it if he can resign Korpi
doubly worth it if he can sign Gavri.
I like the Portillo pick up too.
Blake thinks we are in the window and the standings would agree.
He addressed our goalie pipeline and LHD for a go and possibly longer.
I respectfully disagree.
His chain of command may have also indicated that the clock is always ticking.

Korpi first.

I have found out Quickly it is these georaphically detached fans that bitch the most and the loudest.
Interesting material for psycho-analysis.

Gotta be a comprehender to get they are a Western

You wanna have septh going into the playoffs.
Hockey injuries are up compared to badminton this year.

Good question maybe Kupari, because he can pass, The other 2 could get snatched.
Is that the Kings red uniform?

Contender not a pretender.

I would settle for just Korpi resigning.
Less is more man.

• Haha
Reactions: Schrute farms

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
The main names on the first list are Kupari, Fagemo and Bjornfot.

Honestly, I think Bjornfot has played his way out of LA - there is no room for him. Even if Gavrikov doesn't resign here the Kings will likely replace him with a bigger LHD. I don't see room for Toby, especially with the way he plays, which is meh - he's not overly physical or overly offensive.

I was under the impression that Tobi was Edler's replacement, but I don't really know what the org. has in store for him. He's 21, so I doubt they move him unless it's for a clear upgrade.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Bjornfot
Kupari
Thomas
Fagemo
Madden
Villalta
Dudas

following season:
Spence
Turcotte
Ingham
Hrenak
Ward

Didn't work so good last year as it did two years ago at the draft.
Seems like other GM's are painting Blake into a corner to get guys on waivers after not seeing enough to pay anything Blake will accept for them.
Barring additions in the off seasn,
I would
Bjornfot- plays LD with Kings next year, depending on Gavri resign. Probably taken if exposed to waivers
Kupari- Plays with Kings next year. Really solidified PK role recently
Thomas- Resign and not worry about a possible waiver claim
Fagemo-plays on the Kings next year, would be snatched on waivers
Madden Resign and not worry about a possible waiver claim
Dudas Resign and not worry about a possible waiver claim
Villalta Resign and not worry about a possible waiver claim
Some folks are putting the cart ahead of the horse on Korpi even more than on Copley.

Bless his season but this is one of statistically the worst goalies in the league over his career

Allegedly he's healthy and figuring it out and Blake is clearly trying to catch lightning in a bottle on his good season but have to be thoughtful about his signing.

Blake has nothing and him using a first indicates his mind has been made up and only a complete Calapse could change it. He will try to resign him before additional offer season opens.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad