Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
I dont get this mindset....Kings are at the top of the pacific and addressed their 3 biggest weakness with a too 4 LHD, NHL Caliber Goalie and a Big Tough 4th Liner with Grit. They already have a great balance of forwards- why the pessimism?
I gotta agree with this. Maybe Blake wanted to keep his options open for a trade that never materialized. I think he's also getting a head start on next season when we see some bigger contracts kick in, while still needing to sign Vilardi.

dman3474

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
Did not take into consideration any performance bonuses that might hit this season.

Per Cap Friendly
Byfield can receive up to $2,650,000
Kupari $350,000
Kaliyev $150,000
Edler $750,000

Not saying that they will hit them (whatever they may be) but that could be a reason why there was cap space so it did not carryover into next season.

FYI - There was a $637,500 carryover from last season.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
If this is all Blake did after wasting draft capital, this team isn't getting out of the first round. Waste of cap and assets. And I an not a Blake hater but this is a failure if they wanted to get to the second round.
These moves are get past the 1st round moves in my view. I wouldnt be surprised if they were encouraged by Luc/AEG to show progress and get some playoff $$. In terms of clearing all the cap space for this year - i think he was trying to do one more move and it didnt happen. No money was saved against future season's cap with the JQ/Lemieux trades.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
We have way too many forwards now. 15 on roster once Moore is back. Who gets sent down? And would they have to go through waivers now?
Grundstrom? JAD?
Byfield and Kupari can be sent down without needing waivers.

Then they can be called back up after the deadline and the roster expands.

However, teams only have 5 callups, after the deadline; assuming Byfield, Kupari, and Bjornfot are eventually called back up, that leaves them with only 2 left for the rest of the season in case of injury.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I gotta agree with this. Maybe Blake wanted to keep his options open for a trade that never materialized. I think he's also getting a head start on next season when we see some bigger contracts kick in, while still needing to sign Vilardi.
he didnt help next seaons cap at all. Edit: maybe miniscule by moving Wagner

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
As of right now, traded a 1st + 3rd for 2 rentals and moved out Quick to shed some salary but didn't actually use that salary to bring anyone else in. Do I have that right?

At least with Chychrun he had term and fit in the age bracket with to grow and win with the team. Blake proclaimed all season that rentals at this junction was the wrong approach.

Does that justify trading quick with a month left in the season rather than not resigning him in the off-season?

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Really quite a letdown. They still have flaws and shook the room. Durzi getting smoked and Walker making mistakes against a bad Habs team like they have all year and they are comfortable going into playoff games with these 2. Good teams are gonna eat these two alive with their mistakes and all it takes is one goal in a tight playoff game.

riznat

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2005
Lake Tahoe
As of right now, traded a 1st + 3rd for 2 rentals and moved out Quick to shed some salary but didn't actually use that salary to bring anyone else in. Do I have that right?

At least with Chychrun he had term and fit in the age bracket with to grow and win with the team. Blake proclaimed all season that rentals at this junction was the wrong approach.

Does that justify trading quick with a month left in the season rather than not resigning him in the off-season?
To me it does, we needed a better goalie too. Maybe I'm cold hearted? It makes no difference to me if quick only played for LA or not. I'm a fan of the team winning, first.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Byfield and Kupari can be sent down without needing waivers.

Then they can be called back up after the deadline and the roster expands.

However, teams only have 5 callups, after the deadline; assuming Byfield, Kupari, and Bjornfot are eventually called back up, that leaves them with only 2 left for the rest of the season in case of injury.
From the CBA

16.4 Active Roster Size; Playing Roster.

(a) There shall be a maximum of twenty-three (23) Players on each Club's Active Roster at any one time, provided, however, that, on the date of each season's Trade Deadline, a Club's Active Roster may be increased to any number of Players the Club, in its discretion, so determines, subject to Article 50.

ALSO

I think you get 4 recalls not 5 but you can have unlimited emergency recalls assuming that they are necessitated by injury but I can't presently find the language in the CBA that confirms 4 not 5.

Still looking.

EDIT:

(l) During the period following 3:00 p.m. New York time of the fortieth (40th) day immediately preceding the final day of the Regular Season, and continuing through and including the last day of the Regular Season, no Player may be Recalled from Loan to a club of any league affiliated with the NHL, except that:

(i) A Club may exercise four (4) regular Recalls from a club or clubs of any league affiliated with the NHL, of Player(s) listed on its own Reserve List.

ADDITIONALLY

The AHL playoff roster deadline is today so I believe Byfield and Kaliyev and Kupari are not eligible to play for the Reign the rest of the season or AHL playoffs.

Collegiate or juniors players not currently on the Reign roster ARE available to join the team and the organization actually DID move out a RHD in Frederic Allard so theoretically should Brandt Clarke join the Reign after Barrie's season is done there would be less of a logjam on the right side with Spence and Grans being the only RHD currently on the Reign roster.

Last edited:

DapperDan

Bad Thoughts
May 26, 2008
place
Would’ve liked to see a condensing of some of these prospects into a better player, some 2 for 1 kind of deals. Otherwise these kids are going to have to be dealt at the draft. We just don’t have room for everyone and I hate letting assets go for nothing.
Turcotte is gone at the draft is my prediction. There's smoke with teams apparently showing interest and recouping a pick in this draft makes sense from an asset mgmt perspective, even though we probably won't get great value.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
So is that it? We traded Quick so we could…add MacEwen?

I think we traded Quick so we didn't have to have 3 goalies on the roster. We obviously needed another one and Copley wasn't going down. Quick would have been claimed for sure, given Vegas actually wanted him.

In any case, just because no trade was made doesn't mean they weren't trying to work something else out. It's also nice to have the space if someone comes along with an offer.

Steve Zissou

Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
To me it does, we needed a better goalie too. Maybe I'm cold hearted? It makes no difference to me if quick only played for LA or not. I'm a fan of the team winning, first.

We def. needed a goalie but I would have preferred a Korpisalo trade with an extension. But my point is if the extra salary cap was needed to dump Quick but not used, why trade him in the first place? A roster spot? :thumbd:

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
Did not take into consideration any performance bonuses that might hit this season.

Per Cap Friendly
Byfield can receive up to $2,650,000
Kupari $350,000
Kaliyev $150,000
Edler $750,000

Not saying that they will hit them (whatever they may be) but that could be a reason why there was cap space so it did not carryover into next season.

FYI - There was a $637,500 carryover from last season.
Byfield won’t hit his I can tell you haha

Reactions: dman3474

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Turcotte is gone at the draft is my prediction. There's smoke with teams apparently showing interest and recouping a pick in this draft makes sense from an asset mgmt perspective, even though we probably won't get great value.
I am fine with dealing him if there is a package on the table, but I doubt they move him for a low return on his own over just letting him continue to develop and see what they have. I mean, what is the purpose of dealing him for a 3rd or bottom 6 roster player, etc? He still has middle 6 skill and talent and while is situation is different than say Vilardi's he is still quite young and if he can stay healthy for a stretch could prove to be useful. I just don't see them dealing him for a low-end deal just to get rid of him. There has to be a definite upside to the deal that is making the team better than just retaining value.

Steve Zissou

Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels

This is the same mentality a majority of the posters here had about Vilardi when his value was at it's lowest.

Learn from history, or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad