Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTeller97

Dec 25, 2020
Id take Ekholm for cheap, he'd be a solid 2nd pair guy and an upgraded version of Edler for that last year. Dumping Iafallos 4 million and turning it into Ekholm would make a lot of sense on paper. The question is what would need to be added to get that done?

Iafallo+Grans+2nd/3rd for Ekholm at 20% retention?

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I have many criticisms about Blake, but I don't think he uses his alum as reason to hang onto a player or affect his judgment.
I think it might effect the judgment of your average person.. I hope you are right and that isnt the deciding factor whether he's in the lineup.. because I dont think he's very effective... I believe Spence has shown what he can do.. Walker doesnt do anything better than Spence and Spence has way more upside.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Re Walker - does anyone think it might effect Blakes judgment that they played for the same college team? asking for a friend

Not a chance........IF that was even remotely there, you would find it in 100 other transactions from all 32 teams etc.....

Hiring an old teammate/buddy/friend as a scout......ok, sure I could see,

Holding onto a player because he played for your alma mater, but you didn't know him before you recruited him to sign with LA, not a chance, Walker is still with LA, because Blake wants him to be......

Reactions: Statto and kenito7

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Not a chance........IF that was even remotely there, you would find it in 100 other transactions from all 32 teams etc.....

Holding onto a player because he played for your alma mater, but you didn't know him before you recruited him to sign with LA, not a chance, Walker is still with LA, because Blake wants him to be......
I think all things being equal you'll keep the guy from your alma mater...esp if say you have a friendship with the coach there - its human nature. But i dont think its a huge factor, just something to consider. I think a lot of us underestimate the human factor in sports...I personally would have a hard time moving a guy i was friends with or our wives were friends etc.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I think it might effect the judgment of your average person.. I hope you are right and that isnt the deciding factor whether he's in the lineup.. because I dont think he's very effective... I believe Spence has shown what he can do.. Walker doesnt do anything better than Spence and Spence has way more upside.
I legitimately think Blake believes in keeping vets as primary assets to propel the Kings to the playoffs, and the young players are depth who step in in case of injury.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

People around here thought we were gonna draft Stutzle because Anschutz has German ancestry.

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
I think what we need to keep in mind right now is that the D and G market hasnt budged. These are the positions we are going to be engaging in. Lot of forwards have moved but all the old D names remain on the trade block.
Orlov was a flash sale and other than removing Boston from the buyers it changed nothing.
The Dreadnought Race going on over in the Eastern Conference bends the market.
Blake is looking for the sweet spot when the sellers lose their nerve and start getting very reasonable all of the sudden as the ticking of the clock grows louder.
I think he is looking for players with term or younger UFAs that could re-sign. Rentals are not his thing.
I would want to wait for Edmonton to blow all their chips on whatever bad deal they have brewing.

It is oddly quiet though. The Kings are in 2nd place in the Western Conference with 22 games to play. Going hard after Chychrun just makes more sense the longer you look at it. Chychrun-Roy on the 2nd pair with Durzi and whoever on the 3rd would move the needle. Add another decent G to pair with Copley and you could be in position to do something.

Last edited:
Reactions: lumbergh

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
If Nashville is selling, that just puts even more defensemen on the market and potentially lowers their value.

Gavrikov, Karlsson, Chychrun, Ekholm/McDonagh, Parayko/Krug, Edmundson, McCabe, Klingberg

Last edited:
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
I’d rather see the Kings get Ekholm on the cheap, than see them overspend for Chychrun. His contract is a bit bloated on the AAV, but 3 years remaining for a player like him isn’t a huge risk.

Mattias arguably matches up better than most with the cost controlled youth in the pipeline that the Kings have on the right side. Could make an excellent partner for Spence or Clarke.

I don’t really see his particular style of play falling off a cliff either. Could be an alright option as a stop gap until the Kings can draft/develop a solution.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I’d rather see the Kings get Ekholm on the cheap, than see them overspend for Chychrun. His contract is a bit bloated on the AAV, but 3 years remaining for a player like him isn’t a huge risk.

Mattias arguably matches up better than most with the cost controlled youth in the pipeline that the Kings have on the right side. Could make an excellent partner for Spence or Clarke.

I don’t really see his particular style of play falling off a cliff either. Could be an alright option as a stop gap until the Kings can draft/develop a solution.
He's going to be 33 in a few months.

It's not going to be cheap if Nashville has to retain or take a bad contract back.

kenito7

May 27, 2014
California

The Kings shouldn't take Ekholm even if Nashville asked for nothing in return. He has 18.75m left on his contract and the cap space is more valuable than he is. The Kings need goaltending at least as much as a Dman.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
wow I never guessed lucic would win against MacDermid. Goes to show though that Mac couldn’t make contact with Lucics face but lucic was able to hit him.

Doesn’t matter how tough you are at times, sometimes all you need is more reach and one punch to connect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad