Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I could see this happening in the offseason. They do have Askarov, who by most acocunts has been quite good in Millwaukee in his rookie season in the A. Don't think they want to rush him as he turns 21 this offseason but he should be their future between the pipes. Question for the Preds is where do they see themselves the next 2-3 years and does it benefit them to hold Saros.

Believe it may have been within this thread but someone brought up the name of Erik Portillo who is likely not going to sign with the Sabres. He may be an option to help beef up the Kings pipeline. He's certainly got the length at 6'6".

Meh, they need someone proven.....as well......get both at this point.....Saros with Copely backing him up, Portillo in the AHL, comes up the year after with Copley leaving, and takes over when Saros leaves.....

Reactions: funky

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Meh, they need someone proven.....as well......get both at this point.....Saros with Copely backing him up, Portillo in the AHL, comes up the year after with Copley leaving, and takes over when Saros leaves.....

Yep, That's what I would suggest. You grab a starting calibre guy for the here and now but also go out an snag a kid with some pedigree you can put in the pipeline and give him 2-3 years in the AHL.

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
Portillo is not some savior. Crazy to think an NCAA goalie is going to just come in and take over and roll with the job. Few NCAA goalies even make it, the Ryan Millers are few and far between. Portillo isnt even good this year, his numbers are weak on a stacked team. While it would be nice to sign him and bring him in for development, it is foolhardy to think this one guy is the answer for a goalie pipeline that is bone dry. We need three Portillos competing and maybe one of them will turn into what we need.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Portillo is not some savior. Crazy to think an NCAA goalie is going to just come in and take over and roll with the job. Few NCAA goalies even make it, the Ryan Millers are few and far between. Portillo isnt even good this year, his numbers are weak on a stacked team. While it would be nice to sign him and bring him in for development, it is foolhardy to think this one guy is the answer for a goalie pipeline that is bone dry. We need three Portillos competing and maybe one of them will turn into what we need.
I think that's the fan idea being tossed with Portillo for this offseason:
1. Sign/trade for a starting goalie (now)
2. sign Portillo, or some other URFA like that, to be the new Copley AHL Ontario Reign development guy (#3 for help potentially in 1-2 years);
3. Draft a guy (3-5 years from now top guy)

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
If Demko was a top tier goalie, he wouldn't be in trade rumors.

It's just a reality of the cap GMs face. It's not a BLuc thing. It's not a Kings thing.

Washington has more wiggle room right now due to how many UFAs they have, in a year where they're at best ok, but the Blues can't "rebuild" with what they have. They will not be able to get of enough of those long term deals to do anything but retool. They'll get a high pick this year because they ended up being bad, but they can't tear things down, even if they wanted to.
If Demko was healthy a top tier goalie, he wouldn't be in trade rumors.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I want LA to get Portillo to be the AHL #1....maybe push for a back up job. But really that is to early in his development

Reactions: Seattle King

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
They are saying Tanner Jeannot is out there...wow.

If the Kings don't get Chychrum, then Jake McCabe or Edmundson has to be the next tier of LHD.
Any LHD available with term is a bad idea for the Kings at this point. Not because we don’t need one, but the available options just ain’t it.

I could absolutely see a goaltending move being necessary either now or at the draft, though.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
Hard pass. Harder than an Auston Strand, 91 mph 40 foot pass. Edmunson is injured and about 60% of his better days and beating out Jack Johnson and the world for plus / minus, minus per game. I'm not wanting another first round exit.

Reactions: kinghock

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
If Demko was a free agent and we didn’t have Peterson I’d say sure take a chance. But having to trade assets for him? No thanks.

This hip issue is scary, plus dudes has issues in the past with concussions. Just too many question marks for what they’d have to pay.

At least with Chychrun you have 5 other defenders out there.

For goalie I much rather pay the extra for Saros, go after Portillo for the pipeline. Even roll the dice on the possibility of Gustavsson if Minnesota goes Wallstedt.
Or Swayman or Vejmelka or Hart if they decided to rebuild and go Ersson.

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Kings next home game is the 2cd. I wonder if they make a deal by the first after the road trip or if goes down to the deadline. Picking a guy up on the first would grant a couple of extra games in the lineup, just saying.

Noonan61

Aug 16, 2011
LA
I was thinking Walman was a good target, but Red Wings have played themselves back into the playoffs. As much as I want Chychrun, I think his price is gonna be too high for what you might end up getting. The long term, young LD out there are pretty slim.

Gavrikov seems set on testing UFA. Seattle is in the playoffs right now so don't see them trading Soucy. McCabe could be had, but will have to part most likely with a 1st. Really isn't many options.

I'm not sure really were to go this TDL as I would rather use assets to get our goalie for immediate future (Saros), but I don't think they bring along 3 goalies and scratch Quick, in his most likely, last season. Seems more like an off season move, unfortunately.

Reactions: LAKings88

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Cal for Knight?
:laugh:

No, seriously Knight has a 3 years & 4.5M contract starting next year and was just sent to the AHL. Checked cap friendly to get the contract details & he's in the players assistance program. At 21, buyout should be quite reasonable if it comes to that.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
Cal for Knight?
:laugh:

No, seriously Knight has a 3 years & 4.5M contract starting next year and was just sent to the AHL. Checked cap friendly to get the contract details & he's in the players assistance program. At 21, buyout should be quite reasonable if it comes to that.

He just entered the league assistance program, he’s not going anywhere.

Reactions: RocketKing
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad