Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
Saros is 6 months younger than Cal, and aside from his poor performance, we're talking about needing a goalie to replace him for the future.

I don't see giving up a first, particularly in a very good crop of prospects, for a goalie where we'll need to talk about replacing him in a couple years.
Saros was one of the comps for Cal's contract.

I would not trade this year's 1st rounder for any one rumored to be on the market. So many defensemen are UFAs and there are younger goalies like Samsonov and Swayman that do not have contracts for next year.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Yeah, I'd go 1st, any prospect not named Spence/Byfield/Clarke, additional piece (3rd?).

He's a difference maker and young enough.

And of course would love to expand with Nashville for an LHD as well but it gets complicated after that.
You’re forgetting he’ll need to resign after next season and it won’t be cheap. Ideally you’d be looking for someone long term like a Wally, Cossa, Levi or Wolf but those guys aren’t available so maybe we take a chance on a Spencer Knight. Florida has gambled their future to try and win now and would likely move the kid if we can fill immediate needs. So whatever long term goalie we get, it’ll likely come in the off-season

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
You’re forgetting he’ll need to resign after next season and it won’t be cheap. Ideally you’d be looking for someone long term like a Wally, Cossa, Levi or Wolf but those guys aren’t available so maybe we take a chance on a Spencer Knight. Florida has gambled their future to try and win now and would likely move the kid if we can fill immediate needs. So whatever long term goalie we get, it’ll likely come in the off-season
He's signed for two more years after this one.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Saros is 6 months younger than Cal, and aside from his poor performance, we're talking about needing a goalie to replace him for the future.

I don't see giving up a first, particularly in a very good crop of prospects, for a goalie where we'll need to talk about replacing him in a couple years.

27 is young enough in goalie years. It buys us at least 5 years to replenish the pipeline. He's a proven difference maker.

If there's younger available, sure, but...

...let me know which one of these guys we can get and I'd be all-in there, too.

Great goalies aren't available that much, the only reason Saros is even a conversation is Nashville's standings and Askarov on the way. The rest f those guys are heir apparents and as close to unavailable as Byfield.

Last edited:

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Whatever package Blake is willing to give up for Chychrun, he should be willing to give up for Saros.

Chychrun and Saros are both in the same contractual situation.
Yet one would help the team out more than the other.

He's signed for two more years after this one.
Just saw that and it could be interesting but I’d rather take a shot a Spencer Knight. Dude seems to have fallen out of favor in Florida and with their win now mindset we could be good trading partners

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
LTIR is more disrespectful than trading for say Korpisalo & Quick riding the pine & maybe starting the last home game if it doesn't matter? Ok. Quick is no longer playing at an NHL level. It sucks, but people need to come to terms with that. If King's need to clear Cap & can't dump Cal, LTIR is the best way.
Again, the conversation is wishful thinking and a waste of time. No matter how badly we want Quick to hang ’em up before the season ends, that ain’t gonna happen. He will get to keep his dignity, being on the team he helped win two cups with. Brown got the same treatment last year. He’ll get his farewell tour and we can move on in the summer.

Reactions: David Lunch

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Again, the conversation is wishful thinking and a waste of time. No matter how badly we want Quick to hang ’em up before the season ends, that ain’t gonna happen. He will get to keep his dignity, being on the team he helped win two cups with. Brown got the same treatment last year. He’ll get his farewell tour and we can move on in the summer.
Brown could be put on a depth line & didn't have a 3.49 GAA.

Dignity? So there's more dignity in being relegated to the backup & only getting games when the other goalie needs a rest & not because you give the team a legit chance? Don't see the issue with missing maybe the last 4 games.

Kings with the back to back. Do they just take the loss against the better team tonight & start Quick at the risk of being run out of the building or do they start the better goalie tonight taking the gamble on two losses? Just deal with the goal situation.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Brown could be put on a depth line & didn't have a 3.49 GAA.

Dignity? So there's more dignity in being relegated to the backup & only getting games when the other goalie needs a rest & not because you give the team a legit chance? Don't see the issue with missing maybe the last 4 games.

Kings with the back to back. Do they just take the loss against the better team tonight & start Quick at the risk of being run out of the building or do they start the better goalie tonight taking the gamble on two losses? Just deal with the goal situation.
Yes, there’s more dignity in dressing and being the backup than being told to sit in the press box.

Your concern about what’s best for the team is legitimate. However, management has always prioritized catering to the cup winners rather than what’s best for the team. Fast tracking the rebuild is more evidence of that.

Reactions: kinghock

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
With another year at $3.5M, and turning 29 in a few months, I'm not sure if the Kings should be dumpster diving for another goalie who could fizzle out.
I'd do that without question.

Next year would be a battle between Dreidger, Copley, and Petersen. Kings need to bring in and get a long-term goalie prospect going very soon. No need to spend major assets to try to get a replacement level type of goalie for the next year or two.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Then what would've been an acceptable stats only playing 29 games? Did you really expect him to blow the doors off everyone? Honest question, do you think the 5 games missed being sick with mono hurt his production
I think acceptable stats would have been similar production to the players I listed from the same conference. Was that an unreal expectation? That is what guys who end up being scorers at the next level so, they don’t score 1 goal in conference play.

Why would anyone have expected him not to blow the doors off everyone? He was a top 5 pick in the NHL draft, the highest picked player to enter college hockey that season and had produced good offensive numbers in the USHL for the NTDP. College hockey is more like college basketball than college football, freshman are expected to contribute significantly. There certainly was an expectation that he was going to be an offensive force at that level (that is why he was drafted #5 OA) and he simply was not, and has not been at any level above the USHL. His offensive ceiling was just miscalculated by everyone, not just Blake and Yanetti.

As far as the mono, maybe so but it does seem a bit odd that the big weekends vs lesser teams in UNO and Arizona St happened during B10 season, so he was literally doing nothing against more talented teams one weekend, had a big weekend vs lesser talented teams the next one and then returned to doing nothing against better ones the week after that. That just seems like a player feasting on lesser competition more than anything.

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
HOFer Hossa did...but he was only due $1M that year
Hossa did not lie about his condition. Read the interview he did with the Athletic.

Hossa was also still a very solid player right until the end, he was basically a 30 goal player who was one of the best two-way wingers in the league his final NHL season.

The Kings are not going to ask Jonathan Quick to lie about an injury in the final months of his time with the franchise or send him to the minors to gain cap space. This is one of the alltime great players in franchise history, he will be shown the respect of one.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I think acceptable stats would have been similar production to the players I listed from the same conference. Was that an unreal expectation? That is what guys who end up being scorers at the next level so, they don’t score 1 goal in conference play.

Why would anyone have expected him not to blow the doors off everyone? He was a top 5 pick in the NHL draft, the highest picked player to enter college hockey that season and had produced good offensive numbers in the USHL for the NTDP. College hockey is more like college basketball than college football, freshman are expected to contribute significantly. There certainly was an expectation that he was going to be an offensive force at that level (that is why he was drafted #5 OA) and he simply was not, and has not been at any level above the USHL. His offensive ceiling was just miscalculated by everyone, not just Blake and Yanetti.

As far as the mono, maybe so but it does seem a bit odd that the big weekends vs lesser teams in UNO and Arizona St happened during B10 season, so he was literally doing nothing against more talented teams one weekend, had a big weekend vs lesser talented teams the next one and then returned to doing nothing against better ones the week after that. That just seems like a player feasting on lesser competition more than anything.

Good analysis. The guy couldnt even stay healthy during the deadline window so we could move him. I think it may be time to alert Brown's statue makers that we may have incoming order for a bust.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021

Have you had mono before? My throat was so swollen that it hurt to eat chicken broth. I lost a lot of weight and strength in 3-4 weeks. I couldn't participate in practice because an organ ( liver/spleen/kidney?) swells up and is easily injured with contact. Strengthwise I couldn't recover until the next off-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad