Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Acquiring someone like Orlov makes no sense if we don't resolve our goaltending issue.

Priorities in order:
Goalie
LHD
C

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
Drew Remenda the Sharks color guy just stated on a local radio interview that the Kings are in on Timo Meier? Any word coming out of LA?
Can't imagine Grier would want to do that, can probably find a team that would more easily be able to sign him to an extension and thus might trade more such as New Jersey

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
It only cost the Senators a 2nd and a 2026 4th to dump Zaitsev's contract (1 more year at 4.5M). That's actually fairly cheap. Usually it costs a 1st.

I don't understand that deal from Ottawa's perspective. Do they really need the cap space right now?

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Let's look at the Turcotte draft
Hughes, fine
Kakko, rough start
Dach, broken wrist & Hawks bailed
Byram, multiple concussions, missed a lot of time.
Turcotte, injured
Seider, fine
Cozens fine
Broberg starting to get ice time with Oilers
Zegras, clown show, lack of professionalism

Just not a good draft.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Grinner

May 31, 2022
Can't imagine Grier would want to do that, can probably find a team that would more easily be able to sign him to an extension and thus might trade more such as New Jersey
He did say he found it surprising
Then said something to the effect of hoping/figuring that it should cost you more

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
It only cost the Senators a 2nd and a 2026 4th to dump Zaitsev's contract (1 more year at 4.5M). That's actually fairly cheap. Usually it costs a 1st.

I don't understand that deal from Ottawa's perspective. Do they really need the cap space right now?
Stützle going from 900k to 8.35M
Zub 2M raise
Need starting goalie, Talbot up
Debris cat needs new contract 8-9
Giroux 6.5
Norris, 8
Chabot 8
Tkachuk 8

Their cap is tight next season

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Its true, there was a lot of hype surrounding him. The track record of injuries was overlooked. And you heard a lot about "his Dad was a 1st round pick" as if that verified Alex being projected top 5. Unfortunately people didnt add "his Dad was a 1st round bust" since that was better context.
I just have always felt Cozens was the pick going "on the board" where you have consensus and projectability, but its an inexact science as you have suggested.
I feel like the NHL scouting community does have a tendency to get into a hive mind condition and mostly just confirm other people's misconceptions because its safer.
The Kings have had so many bad picks historically with bigger guys that were seen as “projects” Zultek, Karlsson, Boyle, Steckel, Biron, Forbert, Tuebert that it scared me a bit off of Cozens, but yes, certainly many people here did want him to be the pick if the Kings went with a forward. And boy would he look nice right now with AK and PD as a trio up the middle.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008

Trying to open up space for the offseason. They aren't doing anything this year, so may as well dump him when it's possible

Then said something to the effect of hoping/figuring that it should cost you more
Yea divisional trade def causes that. Guess Blake could ask around but I doubt it's anything substantive

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Grier & Blake played together. King's window is probably while SJ is still rebuilding. King's have near ready prospects & too many to fit. Makes sense to trade a couple for 1 player.

At the very least, run the price up on Vegas.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
Trying to open up space for the offseason. They aren't doing anything this year, so may as well dump him when it's possible

Yea divisional trade def causes that. Guess Blake could ask around but I doubt it's anything substantive
If nothing else you're helping to drive up the price
Perhaps driving Las Vegas out of the picture
Edit...Someone beat me to the punch

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Ott,
Roy for Pinto (draft 1 pick before Kaliyev)
Bring in vet 3C & a goalie.

Seems pretty easy for rest of season.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com

COULD THE KINGS TARGET ORLOV?​

Wow, out of left field. Will be UFA. Last year of 5.1 million.
Talk about a solid LHD that could be better than all of the usual names out there.
If you look at the Caps defense, only Carlson is signed after this year.
I am sure they would want a yound D in return....Spence (NO!) Bjornfot, perhaps?

Would love Orlov and Mikey on the left...but, would have to resign him.
Makes no sense as a rental, unless Kings were close.

Speaking of out of left field....Danault was...and Fiala, to an extent. I have a feeling we will see something unexpected go down...requiring a prospect or 2 and moving a contract as well.....Not a Stetcher type of acquisition this year.
People really want to delve into the Kings prospect pool. Not trading Bjo or any other LHD.
Otherwise great post!
You took the words out of my mouth. I wanted Byram like we all did, but hey Cozens was a great consolation prize. And was totally projectable, size was there already, west coast person, just a lot there to like.
Turcotte is going to be the only bust in the top 10 of that draft and we took him. And the signing of Danault and trade for Fiala only confirms that Blake learned this relatively early but still too late.
I am not willing to call Alex Tourniquet a bust yet.

Reactions: Seattle King

Grinner

May 31, 2022

I came into the interview in progress so I hope this is it

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
Hughes, fine
Kakko, rough start
Turcotte, injured
Seider, fine
Cozens fine

Just not a good draft.
Not a good draft? Disagree.
Obviously jury is still out but there are strong indications from everyone but Turcotte on that list that there is a serious NHL player lurking. Hughes Seider and Cozens appear elite. Yes Zegras is a little bitch but he's doing something.
Those who advocate patience with Turcotte have a very strong case. We dont have a choice since his trade value has cratered.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Love Timo Meier, just don't see how he fits in. Not even talking about that I think the priority of bringing in a forward is pretty low compared to LHD or Goalie

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
I actually don’t lose much sleep on Turcotte. The Kings still picked Bjornfot, Kaliyev, Fagemo, and Spence in that draft. That more than makes up for one miss.
Art especially. Getting him that late, a 50 goal guy out of the OHL in his draft season, that was a score.
The important distinction is that Turcotte was a scouting mistake, not a development mistake. So many want to criticize the Kings forward development and use Turcotte as the poster boy. I think Turcotte would be in the same position in most other organizations. Sure, rushing him to the pros and not letting him grow in NCAA was not wise in retrospect, but I think this is a player who will not physically make it regardless and whichever franchise drafted him it was not in the stars.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Yes, it was a disappointing season. 7 of his 9 goals and 12 of his 26 points came in 5 games vs Merrimack, UN-Omaha and Arizona St.

He didn't score a goal in his first 17 games in B10 play and had a stretch where he had 1 assist in 11 games. Look at the stats I posted of similarly drafted players at the same age, in the same conference, compare theirs to his and say it wasn't a disappointing season.

He still had a lot to prove down there and really missed out on not being able to. Had they sent him back there, he would have had a better sophomore season as he adjusted to the higher level of competition, grown offensive confidence as a player and gotten bigger and stronger in the weight room and been better prepared to begin his pro career at 20 years old like countless other players in the same situation have done. Instead he was sent to the AHL as a teenager where he endured another terrible offensive drought (3 goals in his first 31 AHL games) and was constantly roughed up by bigger and stronger professional players. The decision which happened almost 3 years ago, still to this day is having a negative effect on the poor kids career, mostly with the injuries but also severely damaging whatever ceiling he had. And all because the Kings wanted him in the system to work with "Nelly and Muzz"
Dude, you're cherry picking his stats to make your point. BFD if he only scored x amount of goals and assist in this game or that as a freshman, it's the total still counts in the end. It's like saying a guy who scored 50 goals isn't really that good because he only scored 15 of them inside his own division and the rest came against all the other teams . In the end , nobody cares because the numbers still count. I don't think anyone at UW was disappointed with his freshman season. Nobody expected him to be a 20/20 guy his first year in college. 26 points in 29 games [playing through mono] is still pretty good.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Dude, you're cherry picking his stats to make your point. BFD if he only scored x amount of goals and assist in this game or that as a freshman, it's the total still counts in the end. It's like saying a guy who scored 50 goals isn't really that good because he only scored 15 of them inside his own division and the rest came against all the other teams . In the end , nobody cares because the numbers still count. I don't think anyone at UW was disappointed with his freshman season. Nobody expected him to be a 20/20 guy his first year in college. 26 points in 29 games [playing through mono] is still pretty good.
Lighting up Arizona St, Merrimack and Omaha with very few if any professional caliber players on the rosters while doing very little against higher competition does not mean very much. If Alabama's QB threw for 16 touchdowns in 3 games vs Citadel, Florida Atlantic and Navy and had 8 touchdowns in 9 games in SEC play is that a good season? Again, look at the production of other highly drafted players from the same league in games that actually matter to the programs, are they comparable in any way?

And yes, trust me, considering I was living in suburban Milwaukee at the time and playing in beer leagues filled with Badger hockey fans the consensus was that Turcotte, who was the highest drafted player that year to enter college hockey had a very disappointing season in Madison. If you think I am full of crap, that is fine, there are plenty of forums and groups on the internet where people talk about Badgers hockey, you could feel free to ask them.

Why would no one expect a player taken #5 overall to be statistically dominant in the NCAA as a freshman? Countless players who went on to be good NHL'ers did exactly that, why was it to much to ask of our player taken that high in the draft to do the same?

Reactions: Seattle King

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Hughes, fine
Kakko, rough start
Turcotte, injured
Seider, fine
Cozens fine

Just not a good draft.
Ehhh, some misses for sure but still a lot to like.

Hughes was playing like a superstar this year.
Byram can't stay healthy but when he has been he has looked very good at the NHL level.
Seider was rookie of the year last year and will be a #1 d-man for years to come.
Cozens is on pace for 30G and 70Pts
Zegras, you can hate him but he is a big time talent. His skills are special.
Boldy has settled in nicely as a really good top 6 player
Caufield was going to threaten 50 goals before he got hurt and will be a perennial top goal-scorer
Knight would probably be our starting goalie (not saying much, I know)
Pinto would be a pretty nice young 3C.

Reactions: lumbergh

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Lighting up Arizona St, Merrimack and Omaha with very few if any professional caliber players on the rosters while doing very little against higher competition does not mean very much. If Alabama's QB threw for 16 touchdowns in 3 games vs Citadel, Florida Atlantic and Navy and had 8 touchdowns in 9 games in SEC play is that a good season? Again, look at the production of other highly drafted players from the same league in games that actually matter to the programs, are they comparable in any way?

And yes, trust me, considering I was living in suburban Milwaukee at the time and playing in beer leagues filled with Badger hockey fans the consensus was that Turcotte, who was the highest drafted player that year to enter college hockey had a very disappointing season in Madison. If you think I am full of crap, that is fine, there are plenty of forums and groups on the internet where people talk about Badgers hockey, you could feel free to ask them.

Why would no one expect a player taken #5 overall to be statistically dominant in the NCAA as a freshman? Countless players who went on to be good NHL'ers did exactly that, why was it to much to ask of our player taken that high in the draft to do the same?

Then what would've been an acceptable stats only playing 29 games? Did you really expect him to blow the doors off everyone? Honest question, do you think the 5 games missed being sick with mono hurt his production the rest of the season? I was a competitive surfer in HS and got it my senior year and lost 15 lbs. I felt terrible my first month after recovering, no energy, lungs just couldn't get enough air, etc. Now i imagine he went through the same thing, probably worst [ but without the worry of drowning if he fell] . It had to play a factor.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
LMFAO holy shit, it's like you forgot they benched Spence and put in Stecher, and benched Byfield....but yea...he didn't adjust...holy shit....
The criticism has always been about in game tactical adjustments. In fact in terms of personnel it’s always been that he is too quick to bench the kids and over relies on veterans. You’re essentially agreeing with the behaviour, so the debate becomes ‘is it right for him to do so?’.

For me, given the team last year was overachieving and not going very far, we missed an opportunity to give Spence and Byfield in particular additional play-off experience. That could easily have moved the development needle for both… short terms decisions that move us further away from a cup. It was very short sighted and lacked a strategic approach.

So yes he adjusts and it’s always the same one… give the veterans more ice time and sit the young guys. So instead of having a full series of play-off experience, Byfield will get to properly cut his teeth this year when a deep run is possible. Not ideal. So if his lack of experience means he makes a critical error it’ll be on some combination of Luc, Blake and TMac to hold their hands up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad