Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
AZ acquired Weber & not taking cap back (dumping) Chychrun's cap hit. I bet they are trying to use Weber's 1M salary to get below the cap floor.
That franchise is a league wide embarrassment. These LTIR contracts they keep picking up through the years to get to the salary floor are a joke. Not illegal, but something that should be banned in the next CBA.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That franchise is a league wide embarrassment. These LTIR contracts they keep picking up through the years to get to the salary floor are a joke. Not illegal, but something that should be banned in the next CBA.

AZ is the bullshit team in your fantasy football league whose owner pays only enough attention to offload studs for peanuts so you can pay him in beers and everyone is tacitly okay with it

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I disagree, Alex had been watching his dad play his whole life and diligently worked to be a pro hockey player for years, not be a University student. I feel him and the family had at least 51% of the input.

Neither on of us will ever know for sure and the KIngs won't be talking about it.
You are correct it did not work out well.

The learning lesson here is maybe the Kings should look at a viewpoint like yours and keep more kids in college longer.

So why would someone go to college if they didn’t want to play college hockey? He could have gone to the OHL or if you truly think the family has the majority of the input he could have just told the Kings to sign him and play in Ontario right after the draft, the Kings have not been afraid to put 18 year olds down there before.

And it’s not really my viewpoint or one that I only have. Most NHL teams keep players in the NCAA as 19 year old sophomores over playing in the AHL because the results speak for themselves. If a player is going to be an NHL’er you pull him after 1 year, if he’s not you send him back. That is absolutely how most teams operate, hopefully the next time the Kings are in that situation they have learned from their mistake.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Just for the record, Durzi has not been absolutely fine the past 2-3 months. At even strength he has still been running around like a chicken with its head cut off in the defensive zone, getting out scored substantially. He’s making up for it on the power play, but he still sucks at everything else.

His inability to play decent defense is compensated by his offensive contributions and by the fact that the Kings are winning with Copley in net. Don’t mistake cat poop just because it’s been covered up by litter. It’s still cat poop.
Yeah well you try and pull off the bank scam from Superman 3 instead of rubbing it out over TPS reports and see how well YOU do. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: lumbergh

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Drew Remenda the Sharks color guy just stated on a local radio interview that the Kings are in on Timo Meier? Any word coming out of LA?
Remenda hasn't been the Sharks color guy since like 2014.

EDIT: huh... evidently he went back a few years ago.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
So why would someone go to college if they didn’t want to play college hockey? He could have gone to the OHL or if you truly think the family has the majority of the input he could have just told the Kings to sign him and play in Ontario right after the draft, the Kings have not been afraid to put 18 year olds down there before.

And it’s not really my viewpoint or one that I only have. Most NHL teams keep players in the NCAA as 19 year old sophomores over playing in the AHL because the results speak for themselves. If a player is going to be an NHL’er you pull him after 1 year, if he’s not you send him back. That is absolutely how most teams operate, hopefully the next time the Kings are in that situation they have learned from their mistake.
College scholarships are worth a lot of dough.
It leaves another path beside hockey, that can be left at any time and resumed later even after a pro hockey career.
If you are happy with your development at some point you may decide to do just what Turcotte did.
These are major life decisions you make with your family not your hockey club.
I hope the Kings structure players to play with in themselves and not get hurt as they transition to playing against bigger stronger players.

Ottawa traded Zaitsev and looks real thin on D. Waker going?

Last edited:

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
2nd and 4th to get rid of petersens contract. if the kings need the cap blake should do it.
Even if we retained 2 mil each year on the contract it may make it a bit more palatable for other teams and refuse our picks going out.

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
This is notable in that the reporter seems pretty convinced we are talking to Ottawa about moving RHD.

If true I want Leevi Merilainen in the deal.
There have been a lot of rumors about us scouting them so I wouldnt be surprised if something pops.

Last edited:

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Calling Tanner Jeannot 5 goal winger after having a 24 goal/40 point/130PIM season is extremely ignorant. He'd add toughness that this team has none of.

Also that other guy is Jeremy Lauzon.

I can’t see Nashville dealing Jeannot although I’m sure there is interest in him. Think the Preds sign him to a multi year pact this off-season as he is an upcoming RFA. Solid piece for them to keep.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I disagree, Alex had been watching his dad play his whole life and diligently worked to be a pro hockey player for years, not be a University student. I feel him and the family had at least 51% of the input.
Was Alex watching his dad play from inside Alfie's nutsack? Alfie retired from professional hockey in 1999 and Alex was born in 2001.

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
Alfie Turcotte's career really should have been more of a red flag. I wasnt around here back during that draft but I always disliked Turcotte because of his Dad's career as an oft-injured guy who could never break through. Plus Alex is a youngish, boyish, smallish looking person who has not reached puberty as far as I can tell. Did our scouts actually meet the player at age 17 and get a look at his body and see projectables based on that? I think maybe not.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015

COULD THE KINGS TARGET ORLOV?​

Wow, out of left field. Will be UFA. Last year of 5.1 million.
Talk about a solid LHD that could be better than all of the usual names out there.
If you look at the Caps defense, only Carlson is signed after this year.
I am sure they would want a yound D in return....Spence (NO!) Bjornfot, perhaps?

Would love Orlov and Mikey on the left...but, would have to resign him.
Makes no sense as a rental, unless Kings were close.

Speaking of out of left field....Danault was...and Fiala, to an extent. I have a feeling we will see something unexpected go down...requiring a prospect or 2 and moving a contract as well.....Not a Stetcher type of acquisition this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seattle King

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
Alfie Turcotte's career really should have been more of a red flag. I wasnt around here back during that draft but I always disliked Turcotte because of his Dad's career as an oft-injured guy who could never break through. Plus Alex is a youngish, boyish, smallish looking person who has not reached puberty as far as I can tell. Did our scouts actually meet the player at age 17 and get a look at his body and see projectables based on that? I think maybe not.
Being that the Kings were always 'size queens', as Tonellisghost once wrote...I am a little suprised that they didn't go for Dylan Cousins at #5. Not that he's huge, but is 6'3" 200, or so and was over 6'2" 190 at draft...plus, good character as well. I think they wanted Dach and Byram, over Turcotte. You can see that 'black and white' video out there, where Yanetti and Blake are at the draft table and mic'd and Yanetti says "Byram's gone...so, Turcotte?"
and Blake is not looking thrilled and says "yes"

Reactions: Seattle King

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
Being that the Kings were always 'size queens', as Tonellisghost once wrote...I am a little suprised that they didn't go for Dylan Cousins at #5. Not that he's huge, but is 6'3" 200, or so and was over 6'2" 190 at draft...plus, good character as well. I think they wanted Dach and Byram, over Turcotte. You can see that 'black and white' video out there, where Yanetti and Blake are at the draft table and mic'd and Yanetti says "Byram's gone...so, Turcotte?"
and Blake is not looking thrilled and says "yes"
You took the words out of my mouth. I wanted Byram like we all did, but hey Cozens was a great consolation prize. And was totally projectable, size was there already, west coast person, just a lot there to like.
Turcotte is going to be the only bust in the top 10 of that draft and we took him. And the signing of Danault and trade for Fiala only confirms that Blake learned this relatively early but still too late.

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
A lot of players look like they are still in puberty when they were drafted. Look at Karlsson, Caufield, Marner or any of the Hughes brothers. I don’t think it’s fair to blame Blake for that part of it, these guys are only 17 or 18 when they are drafted and most have spent very little time doing major weight training.

Take a look at how Travis Kelce and Aiden Hutchinson looked when they were HS seniors and what they looked like a few years later.

The Kings didn’t reach for Turcotte like they did with Hickey, the scouting community was just wrong when it came to projecting his offensive ceiling at higher levels of hockey. Sometimes everyone is just wrong on a player coming out and someone is going to be unlucky and be stuck with that player.

The inexcusable development decisions were way worse than any mistake that was made in the evaluation process.

Last edited:

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
You took the words out of my mouth. I wanted Byram like we all did, but hey Cozens was a great consolation prize. And was totally projectable, size was there already, west coast person, just a lot there to like.
Turcotte is going to be the only bust in the top 10 of that draft and we took him. And the signing of Danault and trade for Fiala only confirms that Blake learned this relatively early but still too late.
Luc upon seeing Daly flip the Kings at 5th... "I thought I was lucky"

1677120804803.png

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
A lot of players look like they hadn’t hit puberty when they were drafted. Look at Karlsson, Caufield any of the Hughes brothers. I don’t think it’s fair to blame Blake for that part of it, these guys are only 17 or 18 when they are drafted and most have spent very little of any time doing major weight training.

Take a look at how Travis Kelce and Aiden Hutchinson looked when they were HS seniors and what they looked like a few years later.

The Kings didn’t reach for Turcotte like they do with Hickey, the scouting community was just wrong when it came to projecting his offensive ceiling at higher levels of hockey. Sometimes everyone is just wrong on a player coming out.
Its true, there was a lot of hype surrounding him. The track record of injuries was overlooked. And you heard a lot about "his Dad was a 1st round pick" as if that verified Alex being projected top 5. Unfortunately people didnt add "his Dad was a 1st round bust" since that was better context.
I just have always felt Cozens was the pick going "on the board" where you have consensus and projectability, but its an inexact science as you have suggested.
I feel like the NHL scouting community does have a tendency to get into a hive mind condition and mostly just confirm other people's misconceptions because its safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad