Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Looking at the goalie stats (source below), team save% is 0.883 this season compared to 0.901 last season. Both are pretty bad, but assuming 28.6 shots against per game it will mean just north of an extra 42 goals against over the course of a season. That's a lot of wins and losses being decided.

I think there has been some real exciting progress this season, the power play being the obvious stand out. Would be fun to see where they'd be with just some average goaltending.

Interesting enough, at a glance the mean team save% seems to be 0.901 this season according to this:

Reactions: lumbergh

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
And will become apparent when he's targeted by a smart coach during a 7-game series while he's stuck on his backhand vs. McDavid or whoever the opposing top line is

And TM won't be able to adjust.

But THEN it's on Blake, not TM.
You are right about targeting, we saw Edm. target our younger players and have success, last year round 1.

TM did adjust by pulling them and replacing them with veterans as was needed.

So TM used youngsters and adjusted.

Definitley an issue with not just Durzi but Edler and BJo too.

I am for cheap rentals for LD and 3 C, no overpaying as we are not a cup contender as last night shows.

Maybe a goalie too if they can be extended with an eye for next year.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
You are right about targeting, we saw Edm. target our younger players and have success, last year round 1.

TM did adjust by pulling them and replacing them with veterans as was needed.

So TM used youngsters and adjusted.

Definitley an issue with not just Durzi but Edler and BJo too.

I am for cheap rentals for LD and 3 C, no overpaying as we are not a cup contender as last night shows.

Maybe a goalie too if they can be extended with an eye for next year.
Last year, round 1, Toddfather didn’t adjust a f***ing thing, and lack of coaching adjustments cost the Kings an unexpected first round win.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Last year, round 1, Toddfather didn’t adjust a f***ing thing, and lack of coaching adjustments cost the Kings an unexpected first round win.

LMFAO holy shit, it's like you forgot they benched Spence and put in Stecher, and benched Byfield....but yea...he didn't adjust...holy shit....

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I like the Fiala - Moore - Kaliyev line, move Villardi up with Danault. Iafallo - Lizotte - whoever as your 4th.
Now is a good time after a loss and because Moore is not clicking with Arv and Danault right now.
Arv looks really good to me right now, even though he has not cashed in a lot on his form.
The Kings are building a team , a brotherhood where no one wants to leave.
This propels internal competition and elevates play.
I really don't want trade IAf or Arv but Iaf has disappointed me, recently.
I learned from Quick this year that Blake's technique of waiting til push comes to shove to resign, let go or trade, offers further time to evaluate players especially on their most current season and most recent play.

Last edited:

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Having both middle 6's; Moore 4.2 and Iafallo 4.0, does not bode well, to upgrade other more important slots.
And could bemoan the Cal contract, of course. It would have helped, if they believed more in Toby. I would have not re-signed Edler and made Toby 3LHD. I like the idea of having size / toughness at that slot, but there are few out there like that these days.

Lizotte has mostly hung in there and doing his best, at 3C. But was not so good last game. They probbaly will not acquire a 3C and / or put Gabe there. So I would try Moore as 3C. He can play center and has before. (in the World Championships only 2 yrs ago) He's better than Lizotte, period. Slot Lizotte back to 4C. Nothing to lose and probably be a better match, with Fiala and Gabe,
Signing Moore to me means that you have to move Iafallo or RV if you want to patch up the D properly because you have to sign Vilardi and Kupari. I think the 2nd line has its shelf life - and its over - similar to how the 70s line degraded. I agree with experimenting with different 3Cs until someone is clearly better than Lizotte.

Reactions: kinghock

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Its not all on the Chicken Wings, Alex had conversations with the organization and his dad Alfie, a former NHLer. I am sure the family had the final say. What have we seen from Alex?
Long adjustment periods and a need to pick his spots and protect his future here.
He is not worth much now so unless someone wants to overpay.
Hold and let him learn and go through his normal long curve adjustment.

So what?

The Kings offer the contracts and write the checks, not the players and their parents. You think plenty of NCAA kids, their parents and agents haven’t overvalued the players and tried to leave prematurely. That’s why it’s on the organization to do what is best for the team and the players individual development. The Kings very clearly ignored a mountain of historical evidence and it’s been a disaster for the team and sadly Turcotte’s career.

If the player wishes to be completely through with college but still has development at a lower level they are free to spend their age 19 season in the CHL. Some have gone that route but the vast majority of NCAA players follow the lead of the NHL team, case in point was Caufield returning to the same Wisconsin team as a sophomore, how has it worked out for him?

It’s ok, you can criticize Blake on some things, overall he has done a pretty good job, you can’t argue with the results of the team this season, they are in the hunt for the division largely with the trades and FA signings he has made. But he has been far from perfect and this entire process with this very important pick has been one of his worst moments as GM.

Last edited:

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Signing Moore to me means that you have to move Iafallo or RV if you want to patch up the D properly because you have to sign Vilardi and Kupari. I think the 2nd line has its shelf life - and its over - similar to how the 70s line degraded. I agree with experimenting with different 3Cs until someone is clearly better than Lizotte.
Why not move both? Ardvisson can be replaced by Vilardi and his monies used there..
Iafallo can be replaced by Kaliyev on the 3rd line..

Byfield - Kopitar - Kempe
Moore - Danault - Vilardi
Fiala - Kupari - Kaliyev
JAD - Lizotte - Big body

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I found this unedited photo of Blake that represents his plan for the Kings future.

Blake Praying Fiala.jpg

Last edited:

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Why not move both? Ardvisson can be replaced by Vilardi and his monies used there..
Iafallo can be replaced by Kaliyev on the 3rd line..

Byfield - Kopitar - Kempe
Moore - Danault - Vilardi
Fiala - Kupari - Kaliyev
JAD - Lizotte - Big body
That works for me.. I just dont think Blake will do it, will just not resign them in 24/25.. but I like the idea of using all the fwd depth at lower costs and spending on D... because as DL/DS proved, there are 2 seasons, and you have to plan for the post one.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
That works for me.. I just dont think Blake will do it, will just not resign them in 24/25.. but I like the idea of using all the fwd depth at lower costs and spending on D... because as DL/DS proved, there are 2 seasons, and you have to plan for the post one.
That’s a mistake in my mind.. He should trade those two in the off-season and maybe even think of moving Durzi as well..
believe or not, Iafallo can easily net you two 2nds from say his hometown team in Buffalo while Ardvisson could do the same for a team like the Devils if they miss out on Timo.
Durzi could net you a good return as well.. that’s literally assets that could be used to get someone like Jusee Saros.. just talking outta my ass but the league is wide open with multiple playoff contenders and pretenders willing and wanting to make deals.. Blake just needs to understand that this team isn’t a contender as constructed and the Kids also needs to assume top 9 roles

Reactions: chrapril

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Drew Remenda the Sharks color guy just stated on a local radio interview that the Kings are in on Timo Meier? Any word coming out of LA?

In a vacuum makes sense, Kings could use that kind of size and hard nosed game

But they already have 100000 forwards and no LHDs or goaltenders

So unless there are other forwards on the outs in a trade, I can't imagine it, nor the cap

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
In a vacuum makes sense, Kings could use that kind of size and hard nosed game

But they already have 100000 forwards and no LHDs or goaltenders

So unless there are other forwards on the outs in a trade, I can't imagine it, nor the cap
Well if Robbie decides the Kings have too much offensive pieces but nothing special I can see him pulling a trade. but I think that package is better suited for a dman.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
So what?

The Kings offer the contracts and write the checks, not the players and their parents. You think plenty of NCAA kids, their parents and agents haven’t overvalued the players and tried to leave prematurely. That’s why it’s on the organization to do what is best for the team and the players individual development. The Kings very clearly ignored a mountain of historical evidence and it’s been a disaster for the team and sadly Turcotte’s career.

If the player wishes to be completely through with college but still has development at a lower level they are free to spend their age 19 season in the CHL. Some have gone that route but the vast majority of NCAA players follow the lead of the NHL team, case in point was Caufield returning to the same Wisconsin team as a sophomore, how has it worked out for him?

It’s ok, you can criticize Blake on some things, overall he has done a pretty good job, you can’t argue with the results of the team this season, they are in the hunt for the division largely with the trades and FA signings he has made. But he has been far from perfect and this entire process with this very important pick has been one of his worst moments as GM.
I disagree, Alex had been watching his dad play his whole life and diligently worked to be a pro hockey player for years, not be a University student. I feel him and the family had at least 51% of the input.

Neither on of us will ever know for sure and the KIngs won't be talking about it.
You are correct it did not work out well.

The learning lesson here is maybe the Kings should look at a viewpoint like yours and keep more kids in college longer.
However the longer they stay in college the more they an eye free agency and a bigger first pay day. Not good for the team holding their rights.
Therefor the team will continue to use their 49% or less input to encourage a plan that locks up their draft picks.
I don't follow college or Montreal.
No GM is perfect..

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
That’s a mistake in my mind.. He should trade those two in the off-season and maybe even think of moving Durzi as well..
believe or not, Iafallo can easily net you two 2nds from say his hometown team in Buffalo while Ardvisson could do the same for a team like the Devils if they miss out on Timo.
Durzi could net you a good return as well.. that’s literally assets that could be used to get someone like Jusee Saros.. just talking outta my ass but the league is wide open with multiple playoff contenders and pretenders willing and wanting to make deals.. Blake just needs to understand that this team isn’t a contender as constructed and the Kids also needs to assume top 9 roles
Agree on Durzi... Clarke makes Durzi obsolete skill-wise. Clarke will be pp2 QB (because they will never demote DD on PP1) and then what is Durzi role and value? Spence will rot in the A another year (assuming Clarke beats him out) - since he has another season on his ELC - thats not ideal either. The d-corps is like an orchestra missing a bunch of key instruments with duplicates of others.

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
Drew Remenda the Sharks color guy just stated on a local radio interview that the Kings are in on Timo Meier? Any word coming out of LA?
If SJS wants to take some Arvy/Iafallo types back in the deal it could work.
But my BS radar tells me the Sharks color guy is trolling, why not eff with the Kings fans a little, it costs nothing.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Wondered if Blake had a relationship with the Sharks GM & would call them. I'm 100% behind getting Timo so he never puts up 5 goals on us again. Can't score on us if he's on our team. Well, it will be more difficult to score on his own goal.

Edit:
Makes sense for the King's to condense some of these forwards into one forward as they can't fit everyone. Sharks need more young players. King's have too many.

Cap gymnastics required for fitting Timo's new contract.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: funky and Surf Nutz

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
AZ acquired Weber & not taking cap back (dumping) Chychrun's cap hit. I bet they are trying to use Weber's 1M salary to get below the cap floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad