Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
"As far as a disappointing season or not, maybe my expectations were to high, but for a #5OA I think you are expecting that player to be a pretty dominant offensive player. Turcotte scored 1 goal and 8 assists in 21 Big Ten Games. Just for comparison, fellow B10 high picks in intra-conference games as freshman."

Just wondering where you got these stats from? Every site has these numbers from his first year at UW. So is 26 points in 29 Big 10 games still dissappointing?

View attachment 654614

The 5-foot-11, left-handed, 180-pound centerman from Island Lake, Illinois, has had a terrific freshman season through 14 games, scoring over a point-per-game on average. He is a top contributer for the Badgers in points (15), goals (6), assists (9) and powerplay goals (4).
Not every game a college team plays is within its conference.

Screenshot 2023-02-22 at 6.37.46 AM.png

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Hope the King's are looking at a goalie & center at the deadline. Nothing fancy, maybe a 3rd & 5th round pick cost wise.

If they aren't going to at least get a backup for Pheonix, might as well start restructuring the team for next year. Move the players out that are going to be replaced by youth. D for instance Durzi, Roy, Edler, Walker, move whatever isn't going to be here next year.

Reality is to probably just punt to the off-season.

At which point King's better not be planning on Pheonix & Cal next year.

Team can compete as soon as they find a starting goalie & a 3C.

Lombardi tried for years to fill the hole left by that RD that shall not be named. It would have cost less to just make a trade for the right replacement than all the patches over the years & ending up waiting on Ladue to break out. Get a starting goalie.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
"As far as a disappointing season or not, maybe my expectations were to high, but for a #5OA I think you are expecting that player to be a pretty dominant offensive player. Turcotte scored 1 goal and 8 assists in 21 Big Ten Games. Just for comparison, fellow B10 high picks in intra-conference games as freshman."

Just wondering where you got these stats from? Every site has these numbers from his first year at UW. So is 26 points in 29 Big 10 games still dissappointing?

View attachment 654614

The 5-foot-11, left-handed, 180-pound centerman from Island Lake, Illinois, has had a terrific freshman season through 14 games, scoring over a point-per-game on average. He is a top contributer for the Badgers in points (15), goals (6), assists (9) and powerplay goals (4).

Yes, it was a disappointing season. 7 of his 9 goals and 12 of his 26 points came in 5 games vs Merrimack, UN-Omaha and Arizona St.

He didn't score a goal in his first 17 games in B10 play and had a stretch where he had 1 assist in 11 games. Look at the stats I posted of similarly drafted players at the same age, in the same conference, compare theirs to his and say it wasn't a disappointing season.

He still had a lot to prove down there and really missed out on not being able to. Had they sent him back there, he would have had a better sophomore season as he adjusted to the higher level of competition, grown offensive confidence as a player and gotten bigger and stronger in the weight room and been better prepared to begin his pro career at 20 years old like countless other players in the same situation have done. Instead he was sent to the AHL as a teenager where he endured another terrible offensive drought (3 goals in his first 31 AHL games) and was constantly roughed up by bigger and stronger professional players. The decision which happened almost 3 years ago, still to this day is having a negative effect on the poor kids career, mostly with the injuries but also severely damaging whatever ceiling he had. And all because the Kings wanted him in the system to work with "Nelly and Muzz"

Last edited:
Reactions: tbrown33

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016

Lmao

So much for progress/growth

Also last year they did it without Doughty and were playing a bottom six with a bunch of newcomers. A lot of rookies on defense as well.
Really though the Danault line was winning a lot of games for the team and they arent as dangerous this year as a line.
If they could trade Doughty it may be worth it. Also the middle of the lineup guys need to be addressed. Signing Moore and Iafallo long term, Lizotte and Arvidsson with another year. Decisions on Walker Durzi Roy Edler.
A lot of redundancies really and if you can get JAD to slot in for Iafallo and use that money to plug holes it may be time to address these things.

Reactions: tbrown33

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Ease up bud, I never said he was a bad person or that he wasn't an all-time great athlete. He is a good family man who has done a lot of good in his community, but he has also said some hypocritical and false things as well. And how does being a world class athlete make you not stupid? Derrick Rose was the MVP of the NBA and probably well on his way to an all-time great career before the injuries and he was illiterate.

I just don’t get why Lebron is asked these things outside of sports so often when others aren’t. Why did ESPN have Lebron call in the day of the Boston marathon bombing? He had no connection to the city of Boston or the event. Why is Lebron who has a HS education and is clearly ignorant of the geo-political situation in Hong Kong telling a person with a graduate degree from MIT that they aren’t educated on the situation when they clearly are? He does business in China, that is fine, most people do, but it was very his own financial investment that made him make that ridiculously stupid comment towards Morey. And yes it is a bit hypocritical talking about supposed oppression in once place when he benefits financially from an oppressive regime in another place. If he wants to talk about those things he opens himself up to people pointing out his hypocrisy and the things he is wrong about, he can't just say ignorant things and expect no response.

The Kobe thing is funny, two weeks ago on this very forum I was accused of being a Kobe hater for asking why he got a free pass and Bobby Hull didn't, now I have an elevated opinion of him. Guess I can't win.

I'm not saying all professional athletes are intelligent. Allen Iverson used to bury his NBA earnings in trash bags in his backyard because he didn't trust banks. But athletes who reach the level of Lebron/Jordan/Brady usually need to navigate a minefield of con artists and financial predators, which Lebron has done. He surrounded himself with the right people at a young age, which is very difficult to do, and now he's one of a small handful of billionaire athletes because of it, with a diverse array of investments and projects outside of basketball.

Does that make him a Rhodes Scholar? No. But it does make him more than just a dumb jock. Lebron had paparazzi following him and his family from the time he was 17 years old. If he was an idiot, he would've been taken advantage of a long time ago, like many, many other athletes have been.

Look, I'm not a huge Lebron fan. I'm still a Jordan is GOAT guy. But the amount of hate Lebron gets *as a person* is always baffling to me. Jordan was a total piece of shit off the court, a degenerate gambler, and more. But he never got the same hate Lebron does now. Maybe that's a testament to the hyper polarized and politicized world we live in today versus the 90s, but it's still baffling to me. Lebron chose to take the road of Kareem/Ali. I can't fault him for that, even if he's wrong about some things. Just like I can't fault Drew Brees for publicizing his conservative beliefs, even if he's wrong about some things. These guys have microphones shoved in their faces 24/7. It's a product of a toxic media ecosystem built around mining celebrities for hot takes that can be quoted and disseminated in a 144 character tweet.

Lebron is on record stating his intentions to one day buy an NBA team. Someone asked him about the possibility of a team in Las Vegas. Lebron responded. Simple.

A whole litany of celebrities and athletes had things to say about the Boston Marathon Bombing. At the time, Lebron was in the midst of a storied rivalry with the Boston Celtics. Not a stretch to see how/why he was dragged on live TV somewhere to say something.

And of course he's going to be asked about the China/Morey stuff. He's the face of the NBA. And as I said elsewhere, I have a huge problem with the NBA's stance on China. I have a huge problem with the stance a lot of American corporations have on China. But being wrong about China doesn't suddenly invalidate everything Lebron has ever said. That strikes me as very bad faith.

Lastly, regarding Kobe, you brought him up in a positive light as a counterexample to Lebron. That's the only reason I threw him back at you.

“LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-2023 Season”

I didn't start the Lebron stuff, champ. But I agree it's a pointless conversation to have here.

Reactions: lumbergh

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
So I haven't seen anyone talk about it, but apparently the Kings and the Bruins will be opening up next season in Australia.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Goaltender performance didn't, but lack of a good pipeline was

Pipeline wasn't there, isn't there now....didn't plague the team though, I wish people would actually use ACCURATE words FFS....when they don't it literally seems they are just bitching to bitch...

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
Pipeline wasn't there, isn't there now....didn't plague the team though, I wish people would actually use ACCURATE words FFS....when they don't it literally seems they are just bitching to bitch...
Sure, plague is probably the wrong word but it's used to highlight a problem and lack of a good pipeline is a problem as it's poor risk management. People will be hyperbolic online, just how it is.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Sure, plague is probably the wrong word but it's used to highlight a problem and lack of a good pipeline is a problem as it's poor risk management. People will be hyperbolic online, just how it is.

Yep, but at least be aware of it....The whole argument of the team is dealing with the same issues as last season, is just pure idiocy by people who either don't know what they are watching, or don't care for actual analysis, last year issue was scoring, and depth to a degree....

This year, it's goaltending, and defensive depth as it relates to the LD......we didn't have that issue last year...

Reactions: YAYSAY

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
You cant take care of every problem at the same time. You try to minimize what you can, when you can, and hope that between each iteration of those opportunities, the team, coaches and players, can work around the weaknesses to a degree that when you get a chance to fill a hole, you can take advantage of it, and move the team forward.

Then life happens, and this other thing becomes a weak spot, and now you have to work around that for a while.

Rarely does everything come together at the right time.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Until Lebron forfeits three years of his prime to stand up for what he believes in, he doesn’t belong in the same sentence as Ali.

Agreed that Ali is a cut above pretty much everyone in terms of putting real skin in the game regarding social issues.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You cant take care of every problem at the same time. You try to minimize what you can, when you can, and hope that between each iteration of those opportunities, the team, coaches and players, can work around the weaknesses to a degree that when you get a chance to fill a hole, you can take advantage of it, and move the team forward.

Then life happens, and this other thing becomes a weak spot, and now you have to work around that for a while.

Rarely does everything come together at the right time.

Okay, but the goaltending pipeline has been an issue for several years and the LHD pipeline has as well--and became a self-inflicted issue when they decided to roll with just Edler and bench bjornfot as well as send Moverare down and let Maatta go. These problems didn't suddenly pop up, some of us insufferables have been pointing these out for literally years, the meteor we've been watching for is just hitting hard now.

No one is expecting Blake to be psychic, but if my dumb ass hobbyist self can easily predict these things as well as come up with even patchwork solutions, surely the guys getting paid millions and surrounded with nearly unlimited support and AEG resources can have some expectations rather than alibis at every turn.

Reactions: Herby

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com

Lmao

So much for progress/growth

Its whackamole.. they increased scoring, regressed a bit on D (someone will point out DD's return as a plus - but Im looking at the overall talent last year independent of injuries) and didnt have average goaltending until after bedshitting a chunk of the season away. Id say this is an expected outcome.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Its whackamole.. they increased scoring, regressed a bit on D (someone will point out DD's return as a plus - but Im looking at the overall talent last year independent of injuries) and didnt have average goaltending until after bedshitting a chunk of the season away. Id say this is an expected outcome.

The problem is.....the more points you get, (last year was 99) the harder it is to improve on it, all improvements, are going to be marginally, they finished 14th OA in the league this year, and right now are sitting 10th, that's an improvement if all things stay the same....everyone goes back to growth, last year they had this record, Byfield wasn't doing much, Vilardi wasn't doing much, Kaliyev was getting going, this year, we have the same record, but with Byfield getting going, Vilardi having a good year....Kaliyev having a decent year injury withstanding....

So all this bitching and moaning about same old same old, is just that...bitching...you wanna bitch we need a G sure, you wanna bitch we need 1 or 2 LD sure....but to bitch that the team IGNORED the "obvious" signs, is just absolute batshit crazy, and just needing something to bitch about, because the Kings were better than you expected them to be, and are doing it "the right way" if that really is a thing (it's not)

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Okay, but the goaltending pipeline has been an issue for several years and the LHD pipeline has as well--and became a self-inflicted issue when they decided to roll with just Edler and bench bjornfot as well as send Moverare down and let Maatta go. These problems didn't suddenly pop up, some of us insufferables have been pointing these out for literally years, the meteor we've been watching for is just hitting hard now.

No one is expecting Blake to be psychic, but if my dumb ass hobbyist self can easily predict these things as well as come up with even patchwork solutions, surely the guys getting paid millions and surrounded with nearly unlimited support and AEG resources can have some expectations rather than alibis at every turn.
It was predictable... Fiala was a great get... But the clear weakness in goal and D shouldve been at least partially addressed over the summer... I think they wanted to delay and see how things played out with the inbalanced d-corps and see if Cal could snap out of it.. pure hopium all that. Well now here at the deadline do something but dont gut yourself making up for lack of planning.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad