Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
It was pretty obvious with Cal. He was pressing from an early part of the season - maybe feeling pressure to live up to his contract. You could see him pushing too much and getting way out of position. When he had a good game it was almost like a sigh of relief and hoping it would carry into the next game, but it never did. Personally speaking, I always perform my best when no one believes in me and the cards are stacked against, but not everyone responds to that. I'm thinking he probably won't get a chance until next season when he most likely pairs with Copley.
I think Cal gets a look because they need to know what they have before the play-offs because it’s questionable as to whether Quick can do the job if needed in the play-offs (anyone else I’d say impossible). Obviously everything changes if they trade for a goaltender.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Hyndsight is 20/20.
Maybe you have posts that show you said this after his frosh year.
Mono is serious.
Turc was looking solid coming out of World Jrs.
We have seen how Blake drafts, he takes centers and bumps them to the wing when needed.
Blake never sells low or early.
He hangs on and rides out development, keeps salaries down.
Kind of an alternative universe post.
- No hindsight with Herby and Turcotte. He watched the games, went to some of them and came away unimpressed.
- Turc looked good in his second WJC but did not look good in his first, the one during his freshman year. Of course, the WJC doesn't mean anything to most on this board unless our guy plays well, then it is important.
- Blake definitely doesn't sell early but he has sold low on more than one occasion.
- Keeps salaries down while trading for salary in RV, signing a prized UFA then trades low-salary futures for a big contract extension.

There were a lot of talk about moving Turcotte before the beginning of last season, mostly in connection with Eichel. His value was discussed then under the idea that his value would never be higher if you don't think he will pan out. That has, unfortunately, come to fruition.

I understand that the argument for Turcotte is "Vilardi". Well, Vilardi is--and always has been--more skilled than Turcotte. Turcotte's primary asset was supposed to be the ability to drive a line from the C position but that looks more and more unlikely due to his size, something that Vilardi never lacked.

The lack of finish on Turcotte became more and more evident the further he moved away from the USNTDP. You still need players like him (if he reaches most of his potential) to win in this league but, unfortunately, the "like him" part of that equation means a playing style that his body doesn't seem prepared to handle.

I truly hope he becomes a factor for the Kings but he 100% looks like a kid that would benefit from a fresh start somewhere else. Shake off the bad vibes that has been his development time with the Kings and go to a bottom feeder where he can get NHL time with no pressure to win.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
If King's trade Spence do they lose the Aussie game?

Edit: Spence not available because Luc wants an Australian vacation. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Surf Nutz

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Hyndsight is 20/20.
Maybe you have posts that show you said this after his frosh year.
Mono is serious.
Turc was looking solid coming out of World Jrs.
We have seen how Blake drafts, he takes centers and bumps them to the wing when needed.
Blake never sells low or early.
He hangs on and rides out development, keeps salaries down.
Kind of an alternative universe post.

My opinion on the player has been unchanged since the fall of 2019 when I was able to see him play frequently at UW. But it doesn’t matter if you thought he was a future 3rd or 4th line center like me or the next Jonathan Toews like others here did. Once QB was drafted and Danault was signed what was his role going forward with the team? If it was a 4C and he still had enough value to bring help in other areas it was needed why wasn’t it explored?

That is why the GM gets some blame for the issues the team has in certain areas while being so strong in other areas they literally can’t get guys in the lineup.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
My opinion on the player has been unchanged since the fall of 2019 when I was able to see him play frequently at UW. But it doesn’t matter if you thought he was a future 3rd or 4th line center like me or the next Jonathan Toews like others here did. Once QB was drafted and Danault was signed what was his role going forward with the team? If it was a 4C and he still had enough value to bring help in other areas it was needed why wasn’t it explored?

That is why the GM gets some blame for the issues the team has in certain areas while being so strong in other areas they literally can’t get guys in the lineup.

Depends on how long you think the leash is on any given prospect.....and each prospect is different.....

If you think after Kopitar retires, QB fills his spot, then you have QB, Danault, Turcotte down the middle....that's not a bad mix...but how far are you projecting.....you make it seem like Blake is only projecting a month at at time...(hyperbole all mine) but you want him projecting 6 years down the road (once again, hyperbole all mine) reality is, it has to be both....

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
- No hindsight with Herby and Turcotte. He watched the games, went to some of them and came away unimpressed.
- Turc looked good in his second WJC but did not look good in his first, the one during his freshman year. Of course, the WJC doesn't mean anything to most on this board unless our guy plays well, then it is important.
- Blake definitely doesn't sell early but he has sold low on more than one occasion.
- Keeps salaries down while trading for salary in RV, signing a prized UFA then trades low-salary futures for a big contract extension.

There were a lot of talk about moving Turcotte before the beginning of last season, mostly in connection with Eichel. His value was discussed then under the idea that his value would never be higher if you don't think he will pan out. That has, unfortunately, come to fruition.

I understand that the argument for Turcotte is "Vilardi". Well, Vilardi is--and always has been--more skilled than Turcotte. Turcotte's primary asset was supposed to be the ability to drive a line from the C position but that looks more and more unlikely due to his size, something that Vilardi never lacked.

The lack of finish on Turcotte became more and more evident the further he moved away from the USNTDP. You still need players like him (if he reaches most of his potential) to win in this league but, unfortunately, the "like him" part of that equation means a playing style that his body doesn't seem prepared to handle.

I truly hope he becomes a factor for the Kings but he 100% looks like a kid that would benefit from a fresh start somewhere else. Shake off the bad vibes that has been his development time with the Kings and go to a bottom feeder where he can get NHL time with no pressure to win.
Ok, Bigggie Tall, but my post was centered around Blake's SOP not Turcotte.
Which I am not debating other than to say his value is too low right now for your ideas to provide a significant return.
So you hold him and hope he gets healthy, adjusts his game and keeps his head up avoiding contact a bit more.
I think Cal gets a look because they need to know what they have before the play-offs because it’s questionable as to whether Quick can do the job if needed in the play-offs (anyone else I’d say impossible). Obviously everything changes if they trade for a goaltender.
So you believe they will carry 3 goalies at some point before the playoffs?
I don't know about that but maybe if there position is determined right before the last game or few games.
But that would be a small sample size.
More likely to happen in the playoffs.

I respect your in game scouting and Biggie Tall zoomed over and pointed it out.
As stated, Blake's plan is to freely move centers to wing as needed.
He has done it over and over and it is a good strategy.
As we saw with Kempe, it is harder to do it in reverse it.
Depending on how the Kings do in the playoffs, that will be the time for clear evaluation and criticism of Blake.
They exceeded expectations last year and if they make round 1, they will have achieved that back to back, opening a window.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
@Herby and I have not seen eye-to-eye on Turcotte's latent abilities to say the least but its' absolutely not hindsight, he has been 100% consistently strong with his opinions and feedback from near after draft day.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
@Herby and I have not seen eye-to-eye on Turcotte's latent abilities to say the least but its' absolutely not hindsight, he has been 100% consistently strong with his opinions and feedback from near after draft day.
I still think he and his good old boy witnesses need lie detector tests before we conclude his trial.
The people rest.
😉

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com

Attachments

• shwithead.jpg
    shwithead.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 2

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Calling Tanner Jeannot 5 goal winger after having a 24 goal/40 point/130PIM season is extremely ignorant. He'd add toughness that this team has none of.

Also that other guy is Jeremy Lauzon.
Not sure where the confusion comes from, this guy was even send down to the ECHL
How do you call a winger that scores 5 goals?

1677023814888.png

Attachments

• 1677023777258.png
    1677023777258.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 4

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I still don’t understand why this guy is given so much media attention for stuff that has nothing to do with basketball. Guys like Brady, Jordan, Trout, Mahomes, Kobe never were, I just don’t get it. The guy is clearly not a very intelligent person, and that is fine, he was blessed with alltime athletic ability to more than make up for it. But why is his opinion on world events, other sports, politics etc always magnified? I’ll never forget when ESPN had him call in the day of the Boston marathon bombing to get his opinions.

If they were worried about his offensive game improving they could have kept him in Sweden as an 18 year old instead of a year in the AHL and then the NHL at 19. It’s not surprising that his offensive game has never developed, yet another Kings prospect who's ceiling was damaged in the AHL.

This is a ridiculous post.

You can disagree with Lebron’s politics all you want, but he’s one of the most accomplished professional athletes of all time. He’s never had a single scandal off the court and is by all accounts a perfectly decent human being. He’s clearly an intelligent person. You don’t become a billionaire athlete if you’re stupid. Come off it, Herby.

People don’t like Lebron because he’s opinionated about world events, just like Kareem was. Athletes like Brady and Jordan made it a point to never make a public stand about anything, because it could hurt their bottom line. “Republicans buy sneakers, too.” Remember that?

I don’t agree with all of Lebron’s political/social takes, but I respect him for being a top two basketball player ever - full stop - and carrying himself with class and without scandal, which is nearly impossible in the era of social media.

Also, Mahomes has already made quite a few public political statements. So did Drew Brees.

Edit: Also, Kobe Bryant f***ing raped a girl. But I’m glad to see his lack of public political opinions has elevated your opinion of him.

Last edited:
Reactions: lumbergh

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
This is a ridiculous post.

You can disagree with Lebron’s politics all you want, but he’s one of the most accomplished professional athletes of all time. He’s never had a single scandal off the court and is by all accounts a perfectly decent human being. He’s clearly an intelligent person. You don’t become a billionaire athlete if you’re stupid. Come off it, Herby.

People don’t like Lebron because he’s opinionated about world events, just like Kareem was. Athletes like Brady and Jordan made it a point to never make a public stand about anything, because it could hurt their bottom line. “Republicans buy sneakers, too.” Remember that?

I don’t agree with all of Lebron’s political/social takes, but I respect him for being a top two basketball player ever - full stop - and carrying himself with class and without scandal, which is nearly impossible in the era of social media.

Also, Mahomes has already made quite a few public political statements. So did Drew Brees.

Edit: Also, Kobe Bryant f***ing raped a girl. But I’m glad to see his lack of public political opinions has elevated your opinion of him.
Kobe Bryant being one in a long line of trash-ass professional NBA players doesn’t absolve LeBron from being an overly-outspoken athlete with the IQ of a f***ing throw pillow.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
So you believe they will carry 3 goalies at some point before the playoffs?
I don't know about that but maybe if there position is determined right before the last game or few games.
But that would be a small sample size.
More likely to happen in the playoffs.
Honestly I have no idea what they will do. However they should IF they think Cal has his head back in the game. Quite simply if that is the case it strengthens the position… as I say ‘if’. That’s the thing none of us really know, how he feels mentally. On the outside it seems like his game is coming together but how fragile his confidence may be is anyone’s guess.

That’s why I think they may/should/could give him a look before the TDL, before spending assets on goal. I just think it’s an interesting situation and of course they may simply decide to leave him I’m the AHL regardless as part of the process they are putting him through. I’m starting to ramble now…

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I still think he and his good old boy witnesses need lie detector tests before we conclude his trial.
The people rest.
😉
I'll spin you out even further by telling you Herby loved the pick on draft day but had serious concerns by, I don't know, December of the same year with his change in opinion coming from repeated NCAA viewings. Him and RJ would go at it non-stop with the latter firmly in the "Turc is a stud" camp. Like, there were posts from each guy with different splits that favored each argument (Herby with splits against good teams, RJ with splits prior to injury etc.).

The concern then was that he was over drafted at 5OA. I wish that was the only concern now as that is a given at this point: now the concern is if he is going to even have a significant NHL career.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Kobe Bryant being one in a long line of trash-ass professional NBA players doesn’t absolve LeBron from being an overly-outspoken athlete with the IQ of a f***ing throw pillow.

Can you please share with the class exactly how outspoken an athlete should or shouldn’t be?

Because this argument always seems to follow the same pattern where athletes who speak out about issues I agree with are great, but athletes who speak out about issues I don’t should just stick to their sport.

Was Muhammad Ali overly outspoken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad