Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
The problem is.....the more points you get, (last year was 99) the harder it is to improve on it, all improvements, are going to be marginally, they finished 14th OA in the league this year, and right now are sitting 10th, that's an improvement if all things stay the same....everyone goes back to growth, last year they had this record, Byfield wasn't doing much, Vilardi wasn't doing much, Kaliyev was getting going, this year, we have the same record, but with Byfield getting going, Vilardi having a good year....Kaliyev having a decent year injury withstanding....

So all this bitching and moaning about same old same old, is just that...bitching...you wanna bitch we need a G sure, you wanna bitch we need 1 or 2 LD sure....but to bitch that the team IGNORED the "obvious" signs, is just absolute batshit crazy, and just needing something to bitch about, because the Kings were better than you expected them to be, and are doing it "the right way" if that really is a thing (it's not)
They addressed scoring that was big improvement and job well done there. Its a work in progress clearly. It seems to me more couldve been done to address obvious weaknesses on LD and G and team toughness. I will give an A for entertainment value improvement. Its way more fun to watch this version of the team. But G and LD have been a weakness for a long time as RJ mentioned - that is not debatable... that puzzles me too.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
They addressed scoring that was big improvement and job well done there. Its a work in progress clearly. It seems to me more couldve been done to address obvious weaknesses on LD and G and team toughness. I will give an A for entertainment value improvement. Its way more fun to watch this version of the team. But G and LD have been a weakness for a long time as RJ mentioned - that is not debatable... that puzzles me too.

LD wasn't a weakness last year........depth was shallow..yes, but weakness....no. Same with G......

Reactions: Surf Nutz

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
LD wasn't a weakness last year........depth was shallow..yes, but weakness....no. Same with G......
But not re-signing Maata who became quite reliable last part of the season was a loss that wasnt addressed. Pencilling in Durzi and Walker for Spence and Maata... esp Durzi learning a new side... that is an issue really.

Reactions: kinghock

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
But not re-signing Maata who became quite reliable last part of the season was a loss that wasnt addressed. Pencilling in Durzi and Walker for Spence and Maata... esp Durzi learning a new side... that is an issue really.

Not really, ignore the clowns quarreling in your ear, Durzi has been absolutely fine the past 2-3 months.....he had a rough start, no doubt.....but he's been absolutely fine out there since November......

These are the same morons who were bitching about how bad Maatta was......not sure I'f I am taking their world on player talent any further than that

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
The problem is.....the more points you get, (last year was 99) the harder it is to improve on it, all improvements, are going to be marginally, they finished 14th OA in the league this year, and right now are sitting 10th, that's an improvement if all things stay the same....everyone goes back to growth, last year they had this record, Byfield wasn't doing much, Vilardi wasn't doing much, Kaliyev was getting going, this year, we have the same record, but with Byfield getting going, Vilardi having a good year....Kaliyev having a decent year injury withstanding....

So all this bitching and moaning about same old same old, is just that...bitching...you wanna bitch we need a G sure, you wanna bitch we need 1 or 2 LD sure....but to bitch that the team IGNORED the "obvious" signs, is just absolute batshit crazy, and just needing something to bitch about, because the Kings were better than you expected them to be, and are doing it "the right way" if that really is a thing (it's not)
I’ve said several times the growth up front from the yo7nger guys has been encouraging. Moving QB to LW1 was a great decision.

However that doesn’t make the other issues invalid. G was a problem and the LD situation was a concern especially the plan to play Walker there. The guy is only playing RD because…. Actually I genuinely don’t understand why.

There‘s nothing wrong with saying there has been growth in some areas but they’ve pooped the bed in others. Both can be true.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Not really, ignore the clowns quarreling in your ear, Durzi has been absolutely fine the past 2-3 months.....he had a rough start, no doubt.....but he's been absolutely fine out there since November......

These are the same morons who were bitching about how bad Maatta was......not sure I'f I am taking their world on player talent any further than that
Durzi has gotten better.. but overall the d-corps seems slightly worse due to Id say Edler showing his age, and Walker not as good as Spence... these are splitting hairs. Main point is big improvements made on O, same or worse on D. I do not think a contender ices Durzi in the 2nd pairing on his left side.. its just not ideal for going up against a 2nd line in playoff caliber competition.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
Durzi isn't learning a new side this season. He played on the left side at times last season...probably when the Kings were trailing in the third period. Walker had previously played some on the left side too so it wasn't a stretch to think that one of the RHD would fill the void. Toby should be playing regardless.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Durzi has gotten better.. but overall the d-corps seems slightly worse due to Id say Edler showing his age, and Walker not as good as Spence... these are splitting hairs. Main point is big improvements made on O, same or worse on D. I do not think a contender ices Durzi in the 2nd pairing on his left side.. its just not ideal for going up against a 2nd line in playoff caliber competition.

Edler for sure, hes playing too much IMO I think Bjornfoot needs to spell him out more.....and Walker is fine.....as a 3rd pairing D.....

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Durzi isn't learning a new side this season. He played on the left side at times last season...probably when the Kings were trailing in the third period. Walker had previously played some on the left side too so it wasn't a stretch to think that one of the RHD would fill the void. Toby should be playing regardless.
Playing D on your off side takes quite a bit time learn the muscle memory on pivots from front to backward skating and handling rim arounds on your backhand and passes in o-zone to the other point. I think it takes more than 1 or 2 partial seasons to even be decent at it.

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
That’s absolute horse shit. What the hell? Either he’s full of shot or his therapist is milking him. The only thing remotely close to OCD is the repetition.
What he’s describing is a combination of all chemical imbalances, which is common but it makes him look like a pitiful liar when he says OCD.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Saying our third string goalie being a #1 and Walker and Durzi were the solutions at LHD just emphasizes that 'hope' was indeed the strategy.

If you don't' find that even slightly problematic, there's really not much debate to be had.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
What does OCD have to do with playing hockey?
"OCD causes severe anxiety in those affected and involves both obsessions and compulsions that interfere with daily life. Obsessions are persistent ideas, thoughts, impulses or images that are experienced as intrusive and inappropriate and cause marked anxiety or distress. The most common obsessions are repeated thoughts about contamination, repeated doubts, a need to have things in a particular order, aggressive or horrific impulses, and sexual imagery. Compulsions are the individuals attempt to suppress such thoughts or impulses or to neutralize them with some other thought or action. These can include repetitive behaviors, such as hand washing, ordering or checking on things; or mental acts, such as praying, counting, or repeating words silently."

I've had a friend who had severe OCD when driving. When driving, he had uncontrollable thoughts about any moment, steering the car off the road. I would drive him myself and let him talk his thoughts to me as therapy. He's able to drive again now, but still avoids highways when possible to avoid feeling "trapped."

Everybody gets intrusive thoughts, but there comes a point when it becomes crippling.

A goalie, which benefits most from focus, is severely handicapped when plagued with obsessive thoughts and compulsions. The obsessive thoughts intrude your ability to focus on the game ahead of you. The compulsions dictate what behaviors you feel you need to take to suppress them.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Yes, it was a disappointing season. 7 of his 9 goals and 12 of his 26 points came in 5 games vs Merrimack, UN-Omaha and Arizona St.

He didn't score a goal in his first 17 games in B10 play and had a stretch where he had 1 assist in 11 games. Look at the stats I posted of similarly drafted players at the same age, in the same conference, compare theirs to his and say it wasn't a disappointing season.

He still had a lot to prove down there and really missed out on not being able to. Had they sent him back there, he would have had a better sophomore season as he adjusted to the higher level of competition, grown offensive confidence as a player and gotten bigger and stronger in the weight room and been better prepared to begin his pro career at 20 years old like countless other players in the same situation have done. Instead he was sent to the AHL as a teenager where he endured another terrible offensive drought (3 goals in his first 31 AHL games) and was constantly roughed up by bigger and stronger professional players. The decision which happened almost 3 years ago, still to this day is having a negative effect on the poor kids career, mostly with the injuries but also severely damaging whatever ceiling he had. And all because the Kings wanted him in the system to work with "Nelly and Muzz"
Its not all on the Chicken Wings, Alex had conversations with the organization and his dad Alfie, a former NHLer. I am sure the family had the final say. What have we seen from Alex?
Long adjustment periods and a need to pick his spots and protect his future here.
He is not worth much now so unless someone wants to overpay.
Hold and let him learn and go through his normal long curve adjustment.

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015

The available cap would not allow for signing Maatta and as it was, got Edler on a minimum and Mikey at 1 million. But probably had a handshake deal with Mikey, that he would be paid on a new longterm deal, during the season. Getting Fiala in at 7.9 was important, but then limited them to take care of LHD. Ideally would have had to move Walker, to help with a LHD upgrade, but his injury could not make that possible. Not making excuses. You still do that Fiala deal, period.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
They just didn't have the cap space to hold the younger players and resign him.
So they also didn't have cap space to adress LD in any other way or GT.
Quick was strong in the playoffs and Cal had not cratered to this years lows yet.

QB seemed shaky last night.
Reminds me of his playoff performance last year.
I hope he can rebound an do what he had been doing in increasingly important games.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
The available cap would not allow for signing Maatta and as it was, got Edler on a minimum and Mikey at 1 million. But probably had a handshake deal with Mikey, that he would be paid on a new longterm deal, during the season. Getting Fiala in at 7.9 was important, but then limited them to take care of LHD. Ideally would have had to move Walker, to help with a LHD upgrade, but his injury could not make that possible. Not making excuses. You still do that Fiala deal, period.
Yes I realize that there wasnt enough cap - my point was the D degraded a bit at the expense of the O.. not that we shouldve/couldve signed Maata

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Just for the record, Durzi has not been absolutely fine the past 2-3 months. At even strength he has still been running around like a chicken with its head cut off in the defensive zone, getting out scored substantially. He’s making up for it on the power play, but he still sucks at everything else.

His inability to play decent defense is compensated by his offensive contributions and by the fact that the Kings are winning with Copley in net. Don’t mistake cat poop just because it’s been covered up by litter. It’s still cat poop.

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
Yes I realize that there wasnt enough cap - my point was the D degraded a bit at the expense of the O.. not that we shouldve/couldve signed Maata
Having both middle 6's; Moore 4.2 and Iafallo 4.0, does not bode well, to upgrade other more important slots.
And could bemoan the Cal contract, of course. It would have helped, if they believed more in Toby. I would have not re-signed Edler and made Toby 3LHD. I like the idea of having size / toughness at that slot, but there are few out there like that these days.

Lizotte has mostly hung in there and doing his best, at 3C. But was not so good last game. They probbaly will not acquire a 3C and / or put Gabe there. So I would try Moore as 3C. He can play center and has before. (in the World Championships only 2 yrs ago) He's better than Lizotte, period. Slot Lizotte back to 4C. Nothing to lose and probably be a better match, with Fiala and Gabe,

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Just for the record, Durzi has not been absolutely fine the past 2-3 months. At even strength he has still been running around like a chicken with its head cut off in the defensive zone, getting out scored substantially. He’s making up for it on the power play, but he still sucks at everything else.

His inability to play decent defense is compensated by his offensive contributions and by the fact that the Kings are winning with Copley in net. Don’t mistake cat poop just because it’s been covered up by litter. It’s still cat poop.

Like I said, he's been absolutely fine defensively for the past 2-3 months.....

Having both middle 6's; Moore 4.2 and Iafallo 4.0, does not bode well, to upgrade other more important slots.
And could bemoan the Cal contract, of course. It would have helped, if they believed more in Toby. I would have not re-signed Edler and made Toby 3LHD. I like the idea of having size / toughness at that slot, but there are few out there like that these days.

Lizotte has mostly hung in there and doing his best, at 3C. But was not so good last game. They probbaly will not acquire a 3C and / or put Gabe there. So I would try Moore as 3C. He can play center and has before. (in the World Championships only 2 yrs ago) He's better than Lizotte, period. Slot Lizotte back to 4C. Nothing to lose and probably be a better match, with Fiala and Gabe,

If you move Moore, then you put Vilardi back on that line, and you have Fiala, Moore, and Iafallo...no idea how that would work, but could be an interesting look, or you have Fiala, Moore, and Kaliyev, that would be intresting as well

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

And will become apparent when he's targeted by a smart coach during a 7-game series while he's stuck on his backhand vs. McDavid or whoever the opposing top line is.

And TM won't be able to adjust.

But THEN it's on Blake, not TM.

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
Like I said, he's been absolutely fine defensively for the past 2-3 months.....

If you move Moore, then you put Vilardi back on that line, and you have Fiala, Moore, and Iafallo...no idea how that would work, but could be an interesting look, or you have Fiala, Moore, and Kaliyev, that would be intresting as well
I like the Fiala - Moore - Kaliyev line, move Villardi up with Danault. Iafallo - Lizotte - whoever as your 4th.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be

True

but he should never ever ever ever be on the PK, especially a 5 on 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad