Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Remember when Blake bootlickers said the prospects would get called up when injuries occurred?

What does that have to do with assertions that prospects will get opportunity with injuries?

Probably just to get extra LTIR cash. Wagner likely sent back down before the next game Tuesday night.

Plenty of stuff to freak out about though.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Kings are really missing Maatta on the left side. I think that would be the stability they need. I get it, though - too many hens in the hen-house...but better to get rid of the fringe RHD than the LHD. Spence is proving he needs to be up with the Kings for good. Dude is constantly racking up points in Ontario.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Kings are really missing Maatta on the left side. I think that would be the stability they need. I get it, though - too many hens in the hen-house...but better to get rid of the fringe RHD than the LHD. Spence is proving he needs to be up with the Kings for good. Dude is constantly racking up points in Ontario.
I agree with you, but wow that’s a sentence I don’t think any of us expected we’d ever say.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
You tell me.

This transaction has no impact on whether a prospect is going to get opportunities that they otherwise wouldn't get.
Are you having trouble following a point?

Before the season, a few of us said there are prospects who will be waiver eligible who need an opportunity.

Blake supporters said "they'll get opportunities when there are injuries."

Iafallo is injured.

Wagner is called up and will be riding the pine. Thus, prospects not getting opportunities, thus showing the previous assurance/defense was wrong.

Is that clear?

Reactions: kinghock

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
Wonder what their plan is for Kupari. Feel like at this point they have too many players who have proved they're NHL capable stuck in the AHL, as opposed to when they were all simply prospects who have yet to prove themselves.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Wonder what their plan is for Kupari. Feel like at this point they have too many players who have proved they're NHL capable stuck in the AHL, as opposed to when they were all simply prospects who have yet to prove themselves.
Cynically, one might think that the plan is to wait until he requires waivers then leave it up to him to sink or swim.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
He signed for 2.5 mil in Detroit, where was that going to come from ? We barely were able to sign Anderson and Durzi.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Before the season, a few of us said there are prospects who will be waiver eligible who need an opportunity.

Iafallo is injured.

Wagner is called up and will be riding the pine. Thus, prospects not getting opportunities, thus showing the previous assurance/defense was wrong.

Is that clear?

Kaliyev moved from the 4th to the 3rd line. Where is the next prospect playing? The 1st line isn't sitting. The 2nd line isn't sitting. The new 3rd line isn't sitting. The 4th line isn't sitting. And they still have JAD sitting there. Kaliyev is the one getting a greater opportunity.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
He signed for 2.5 mil in Detroit, where was that going to come from ? We barely were able to sign Anderson and Durzi.

Not that I would have spent the money on Maatta, but the Fiala trade and extension is going to be heavily debated very soon.

Reactions: lumbergh

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Yes they are the ones failing to produce on the powerplay and are predictable and slow to move the puck.
You do not want to believe reality. Taking them off it doesnt mean you are tanking. Kopitars numbers from 2012 do not matter anymore. He was staying on the ice nearly a full two minutes last year with very little to show. Byfield wasnt in the league for a decade and gets unfavorable starts with no pp time. He was matched up against Kuznetsov and Oshie while Kopitar got Dowd and powerplay minutes last game. There is no comparison to be made between him Kopitar and Tavares. Time to let go of the past. If you think cutting back on Kopitars minutes means they are tanking I do not agree. They would probably win more games.

I mentioned those dates because you said they had been horrible for a decade. Hence I showed the last 10 years to show you that they have not been horrible on the powerplay for a decade. Doughty was top 10 in powerplay points per 60 among defensemen around the league last year. If you think Kopitar is ineffective on the powerplay, I can only imagine what you think of Danault on the powerplay. Replacing Kopitar with him would be a sure sign that we're tanking. Byfield has yet to show any ability to man the top powerplay unit, I think he should definitely get some time on the 2nd unit, but to just throw him on the top would also likely be a tanking move.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
The plan for life after Kopitar should be in full effect, but his usage and that of the kids behind him are really, really concerning.

I agree he is wearing down and we do need to find his replacement sooner rather than later, but my point is that we haven't. I didn't like the Danault signing and Arrvy trade, because it started a clock where the Kings needed to be competing. This meant that the Kings wouldn't have the luxury to just throw minutes at the prospects to see who will float. Since we made that decision though, our success is going to depend on Kopi producing because nobody else has even shown the inkling that they be able to take over.

Reactions: kenito7

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
You’ll have better odds of finding Bigfoot than a guy making less than $1M taking Kopitar’s minutes. You need a McDavid / Makar equivalent to supplant Kopitar/ Doughty respectively.

For 25% of the cap, you can’t afford to sit those guys if it isn’t 150% clear that they can be improved upon immediately.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I mentioned those dates because you said they had been horrible for a decade. Hence I showed the last 10 years to show you that they have not been horrible on the powerplay for a decade. Doughty was top 10 in powerplay points per 60 among defensemen around the league last year. If you think Kopitar is ineffective on the powerplay, I can only imagine what you think of Danault on the powerplay. Replacing Kopitar with him would be a sure sign that we're tanking. Byfield has yet to show any ability to man the top powerplay unit, I think he should definitely get some time on the 2nd unit, but to just throw him on the top would also likely be a tanking move.
I was exaggerating with the decade thing. But the point is Kopitar hasnt been good on the powerplay. Danault isnt good on the powerplay either. Byfield was on the top powerplay his first game last year vs the Avalanche and they scored so its not rocket science to try.
It really cant be any worse right now. Theyve had a ton of opportunities and havent converted much at all. Even moving Kopitar to a different spot on the top unit would be worth trying.

Reactions: kinghock

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

Iafallo is injured.

Is that clear?
It's a paper transaction. It's not preventing any prospect from getting an opportunity.

You're trying to make your "point" in response to news that has nothing to do with it.

You don't have to be absolutist. They'll likely be injuries this year that result in JAD/Kupari/Spence/whoever getting some opportunity.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It's a paper transaction. It's not preventing any prospect from getting an opportunity.

You're trying to make your "point" in response to news that has nothing to do with it.

You don't have to be absolutist. They'll likely be injuries this year that result in JAD/Kupari/Spence/whoever getting some opportunity.
So how many opportunities has JAD had while on the roster the past couple games with Iafallo out?

And since nobody answered the question before, I'll ask again:

If the "plan" is to wait for injuries to occur before getting chances, how many injuries to each position are you planning to occur? What do you plan to do if, say, 10 games left in the season only Iafallo is the one who gets injured. Or if the defense remain fairly healthy compared to last season?

Cianide

Under New Management
Jun 11, 2022
I think Kupari is better than Kaliyev and will have the better career. Just saying.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
You’ll have better odds of finding Bigfoot than a guy making less than $1M taking Kopitar’s minutes. You need a McDavid / Makar equivalent to supplant Kopitar/ Doughty respectively.

For 25% of the cap, you can’t afford to sit those guys if it isn’t 150% clear that they can be improved upon immediately.
Just because a poor decision has been made (holding onto aging heroes at an 8 digit cap hit) doesn’t mean that another one has to be made (over extending their minutes in the name of justifying said contracts).

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
So how many opportunities has JAD had while on the roster the past couple games with Iafallo out?

If the "plan" is to wait for injuries to occur before getting chances, how many injuries to each position are you planning to occur? What do you plan to do if, say, 10 games left in the season only Iafallo is the one who gets injured. Or if the defense remain fairly healthy compared to last season?
It's not so much "the plan" as it is a statement of the obvious. Over the course of the year, they'll likely be injuries that result in young players getting more opportunity. Just like last year.

If there's fewer injuries, that it makes it less likely.

Your questions are largely rhetorical.

If say for example Lizotte gets injured and Nate Thompson is the replacement, than I'll agree with your sentiment, but I don't think this paper transaction is any grounds for implying they're not giving prospects enough opportunity.

Reactions: David Lunch

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Then all those guys play in the minors for the year. What kind of a question is that? If they were in a hurry to get the guys currently in Ontario onto the Kings, they would've done things differently over the summer. There's no plan to get vets injured so that they can put young guys in the lineup. Is that what you're asking?

Maybe you're new. Maybe you really don't know. There are 23 roster spots on an NHL team. Usually 14F, 7D, 2G. Sometimes 13F, 8D, 2G. Very rarely 13F, 7D, 3G. Sometimes teams will fill 22 of the 23 spots. In any given game, there are 18 skater spots. 12F, 6D. Sometimes 11F, 7D. So there's a limit to how many and who can play. Presumably JAD is the 14th F, and now the 13th, and will get in with another injury, or when the coach feels the need to sit another F.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

Exactly he got recall as he’s the biggest contract in Ontario (I presume). It means they can start accruing Cap space which will give Blake more flexibility down the line if they want to add.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005

Which means Walker was probably an untradeable asset IMO. If he was, we could of kept Maatta, trade Walker and not resign Edler. We also would of ended up with a little more cap space.

Reactions: Cianide

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Exactly he got recall as he’s the biggest contract in Ontario (I presume). It means they can start accruing Cap space which will give Blake more flexibility down the line if they want to add.

I don't think you can accrue cap space with LTIR relief, I believe it just allows you to go over the cap by that amount, not save that amount. I could be wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad