Speculation: LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster Thread 2022-23 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Sad trombone for those who got their panties in a bunch.

Champagne popping sound for those happy he wont be playing tuesday.
Wait, I thought they were going to showcase him so he could be the centerpiece in a deal to acquire Shesterkin?? Stupid Blake…

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Kaliyev moved from the 4th to the 3rd line. Where is the next prospect playing? The 1st line isn't sitting. The 2nd line isn't sitting. The new 3rd line isn't sitting. The 4th line isn't sitting. And they still have JAD sitting there. Kaliyev is the one getting a greater opportunity.

and really hasn't done anything. He's the weak link on that line since being put there. Sadly, they miss Iafollo digging the puck out for them.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
and really hasn't done anything. He's the weak link on that line since being put there. Sadly, they miss Iafollo digging the puck out for them.
Which is why I said Iafallo or Moore would be great for Byfield's line. And also why I advocate against a "kids line".

But I'm sure in the near future, we'll have Kupari called up, thrown on Byfield's line, and people will say "Well, they're calling up prospects and 'given an opportunity', KP. What more do you want, aside from just bitching?"

When in all actuality not only are the prospects still not getting the opportunity, they're likely going to struggle because they aren't ready to carry a line by themselves.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Which is why I said Iafallo or Moore would be great for Byfield's line. And also why I advocate against a "kids line".

But I'm sure in the near future, we'll have Kupari called up, thrown on Byfield's line, and people will say "Well, they're calling up prospects and 'given an opportunity', KP. What more do you want, aside from just bitching?"

When in all actuality not only are the prospects still not getting the opportunity, they're likely going to struggle because they aren't ready to carry a line by themselves.

The top 2 lines aren't changing, right or wrong, so the 3rd or 4th line is the opportunity they get.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Todd McLellan had some fascinating comments about the lines after practice today. I assume tons of people are talking about it already.
Just read the Insider article, found absolutely nothing fascinating about TM’s comments…what am I missing?

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I think
Just read the Insider article, found absolutely nothing fascinating about TM’s comments…what am I missing?
he’s talking about this quote:
“I’m comfortable with two right now, I was comfortable with three,” McLellan said. “I thought that Quinton Byfield’s line at the beginning of the year was one of our better lines, there was no concern. They could still be that, Al’s a different player, right now we’ve got Arthur there, it’s a little bit different. I think Lizzo’s line has an identity, they know who they are and they play that way. Phil’s line, in my opinion, is starting to click a little bit more, finally getting Arvy back. The other two lines are in flux, trying to figure things out, but they have the capability of being really effective.”

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I think

he’s talking about this quote:
“I’m comfortable with two right now, I was comfortable with three,” McLellan said. “I thought that Quinton Byfield’s line at the beginning of the year was one of our better lines, there was no concern. They could still be that, Al’s a different player, right now we’ve got Arthur there, it’s a little bit different. I think Lizzo’s line has an identity, they know who they are and they play that way. Phil’s line, in my opinion, is starting to click a little bit more, finally getting Arvy back. The other two lines are in flux, trying to figure things out, but they have the capability of being really effective.”
Ok, so what’s fascinating?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
It means that Fiala ain't working with Kopitar.

This should not be news to anyone.
If I remember correctly it took some time for Gaborik and Kopitar to get in sync. I think Gaborik made adjustments to his game to suit Kopitar's style, which is not suited to speedy players who like to rush the puck.

Gaborik learned he had to use his skill set in close to the net to maximize his value to the Kings.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
The top 2 lines aren't changing, right or wrong, so the 3rd or 4th line is the opportunity they get.
I was also kind of replying to this because McLellan's quote was an answer to my question about how many lines he's comfortable with BECAUSE last year he specifically said one of the reasons he wasnt going to break up one line was because the other THREE lines were playing to his satisfaction and he didn't want to break up three lines to save one.

SO I WAS ASKING given that preference... and some earlier comments from him ABOUT the top line... HOW comfortable was he with the rest of the team. How many lines is he presently comfortable with as a clue to how he might address that top line based on his previous comments...

Reactions: Surf Nutz

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013

So many naughty Halloween outfits this year it seems. :sarcasm:

Yes.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

bland

Jul 1, 2004
If I remember correctly it took some time for Gaborik and Kopitar to get in sync. I think Gaborik made adjustments to his game to suit Kopitar's style, which is not suited to speedy players who like to rush the puck.

Gaborik learned he had to use his skill set in close to the net to maximize his value to the Kings.

Gaborik was a different style player though. He came up through Lemaire's defense first, second and third academy and was a powerful, elegant skater who would read then explode with a powerful first few strides into traffic areas and had the size, speed and strength. Fiala is more pure kinetic energy, scrambling speed.

It will be interesting to see if Fiala can adapt to a center who takes a pause to check for safety before moving the puck, because the lanes Fiala creates on the rush are disappearing before the pass is made. His breakthrough came when playing with kids who had the go go go attitude, and the extra time and space created by that speed really gave him time to use his excellent shot snd deceptive lateral mobility. A lot of that just won't be put to good use with Kopitar.

Plus he is seeing matchups that require more discipline, and even if the only time anyone has seen him play is for and against the Kings, you can see that this is a player who most definitely lacks discipline.

Its not a real issue on the cycle or PP, he will eventually produce, but there is just no way that they are going to maximize Fiala's ability by playing him with Kopitar. No doubt he will be a major contributor down the road, just unlikely yo happen on this current setup.

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
noticed Shane Pinto breaking out in Ottawa....

Was taken right before Kaliyev in the draft.

Noticed.... 14:30 TOI vs Kaliyevs 10:34.

120 Shifts vs Kaliyevs 93. Ott fans say hes getting decent time on PP2 where as Kaliyev gets final dying seconds PP time.

Frustrating and gives credence to those questioning the development path, is TMAC putting young players in position to succeed?

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas

This is the one thing I never understood and it infuriates me to this day..
Kopi doesn’t need super high end skilled players or speedsters, what he thrives with are guys that can play/park/plant themselves in front of the net.
Not sure why management tries all these guys with him when the reality is we need a Brownie type guy but we don’t have that..

Hell, I think(not that I know shit).. I would drop Fiala with PD and Arvy and move Moore up with Kopi and Kempe. Moore maybe not be a front net presence but he sure as hell knows how to get there and he brings what Iafallo does just with more speed

Agree with your comment btw 17

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
This is the one thing I never understood and it infuriates me to this day..
Kopi doesn’t need super high end skilled players or speedsters, what he thrives with are guys that can play/park/plant themselves in front of the net.
Not sure why management tries all these guys with him when the reality is we need a Brownie type guy but we don’t have that..

Hell, I think(not that I know shit).. I would drop Fiala with PD and Arvy and move Moore up with Kopi and Kempe. Moore maybe not be a front net presence but he sure as hell knows how to get there and he brings what Iafallo does just with more speed

Agree with your comment btw 17

Building around a 35-year-old Kopi is a fool's errand.

On another note, Jon Rosen's new page is pretty good. He's got some advanced stats called a possession/playmaking chart. It's got interesting metrics and he also provides insight with it from watching the game. For example, he's got something called 15OUT which long story short is number of times the Kings spend fewer than 15 seconds in the defensive zone without allowing a threatening chance against. If your eyes have been telling you that the 1st line has trouble chasing the puck in the defensive zone and exiting quickly, these numbers back it up. Anyway, I'm enjoying the content and he tells it like it is.

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
Does the NHL have any approval of trades, beyond checking to see if any contract/salary cap terms are violated? Would they let some some ridiculous trade occur....like Matthews to the Kings, 50% retained for future considerations?

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Does the NHL have any approval of trades, beyond checking to see if any contract/salary cap terms are violated? Would they let some some ridiculous trade occur....like Matthews to the Kings, 50% retained for future considerations?
The Kings were forced to include Olli Jokinen when they got Ziggy Palffy so, yes. They have a say in that sort of thing.

Reactions: bouncesonly

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
The league made LA pay more for Palffy

The Kings were forced to include Olli Jokinen when they got Ziggy Palffy so, yes. They have a say in that sort of thing.
you win

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
noticed Shane Pinto breaking out in Ottawa....

Was taken right before Kaliyev in the draft.

Noticed.... 14:30 TOI vs Kaliyevs 10:34.

120 Shifts vs Kaliyevs 93. Ott fans say hes getting decent time on PP2 where as Kaliyev gets final dying seconds PP time.

Frustrating and gives credence to those questioning the development path, is TMAC putting young players in position to succeed?
or… Maybe Pinto is just better than Kaliyev? He’s a much better ES player for sure. Over 30% of Arty’s points are on the PP. Pinto has 2 career power play points. Arty averages 2:22 of pp time per game. Pinto, 1:53. Arty’s time has decreased this year because he’s not playing well enough to overtake those ahead of him. He’s given PP time because its his strength, which is what you want for a young player.

Lots of guys taken before Arty havent done squat. Were they all developed poorly? Every player benefits from more time of course, but lots of things go into development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad